[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Valve is overrated as fuck and we all know it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 8
File: dear gabe.png (110 KB, 667x540) Image search: [Google]
dear gabe.png
110 KB, 667x540
Steam is amazing, Half-Life 2 is incredibly overrated (best game of all time? SERIOUSLY) Portal is alright but content-bare, Left 4 Dead is a fun co-op shooter that loses all interest about a week after buying it (great rent though).

Valve is an alright developer and an amazing publisher at best. If it wasn't for steam, nobody would give a shit about them.

HALF-LIFE 3 IS GOING TO BE GARBAGE ONE WAY OR THE OTHER
>>
> half life 2

Maybe not GOAT but it's quite a lot of fun.

> Portal

Honestly the lack of "content" in Portal is part of what made it appealing.

> Left 4 Dead

You seriously lost interest in that after a mere week? Damn man I STILL play that game a year after having it.

Maybe because it's just more familiar, I dunno.

> If it wasn't for steam, nobody would give a shit about them.

Lots of people would. They'd still be known for their games. They'd be smaller for sure, but from what I've heard, Valve was pretty big before steam.
>>
Of all the things you praise Valve for, you praise it for fucking Steam?
Most if not all of their games are great, maybe Dota isn't if it's not your type of game
>>
File: fag.jpg (43 KB, 900x562) Image search: [Google]
fag.jpg
43 KB, 900x562
>>319703078
>>
>>319703865

Steam is pretty great, though. Maybe not Greenlight, but steam itself has so many features I feel naked playing a non-steam game.

DOTA is gay as fuck (IMHO) but I like their other titles.

Not OP though.
>>
>>319703078

>half-life 2 is overrrated

Nowadays, yes. But when it was released it was revolutionary and still holds up as a good game today. Ofc you wouldn't know that because you clearly weren't even alive then.

>portal

Not even gonna bother answering this, because you are clearly underage or mildly retarded.

> left 4 dead loses all interest in a week
>8 years later still one of most played games on steam

Again, either add or just purely retarded.

>If it wasn't for steam, nobody would give a shit about them.

You'er clearly underage or retarded, if you aren't underage your memory is comparable to that of a goldfish. Do you think steam came before half-life?
>>
>>319703078
>praises steam
>shits on half life

how to spot underage 101
>>
File: 1443397980229.png (252 KB, 354x313) Image search: [Google]
1443397980229.png
252 KB, 354x313
>>319703679
>> Portal
>Honestly the lack of "content" in Portal is part of what made it appealing.
>>
>>319703078
Steam is horseshit, HL2 was pretty good though not as good as HL1, Portal was pretty shit but still fun, L4D was complete dogshit.
>>
>>319704686

Yep. It was short, cleanly designed, simple charming plot, I loved the humor. Portal 2 I also liked, but not as much as the first, even though Portal 2 had arguably much better gameplay, I didn't like the story quite as much, there was too much of it in my opinion.

Both were great, but 1 is slightly ahead of 2 in my book. My friends gave me shit for half an hour over that opinion but whatever. No accounting for taste.
>>
File: King of PC.jpg (915 KB, 3268x2538) Image search: [Google]
King of PC.jpg
915 KB, 3268x2538
Fuck off Blizzkek. HotS was a failure and Overwatch will be too.
>>
>>319704913

>L4D was complete dogshit.

Why? Not baiting, just curious.
>>
>>319704940
I would say 2 is better than 1 simply because of the community. Constant flow of high quality mods and new maps.
>>
>>319704212
Steam is good but let's be honest, tons of people only started using it because you couldn't get some games anywhere else (especially modern Valve games, unless you wanted to get them on fucking consoles)
It's good but not "amazing" good, it's just sort of there
>>
>>319705085

Fair enough. I'm a fan of overly-simplistic stuff, so that's why. I also haven't done much with the community since I bought it, so I wouldn't know.
>>
>>319705039
Not enough variety IMO.
Being a Zombie was pretty fun but everything got old rather quickly. A handful few maps which were all really linear and not that much weapon choice.
>>
>>319705158

It's better than the alternatives feature-wise, if you ask me. The interface is nicer and sleeker. It might have got there through capitalistic gorging but honestly I don't mind, I think it's been a positive influence on getting new games to print, and if Gaben fills his greedy pockets with, I dunno, 10% of every purchase (maybe more, who knows) then that's fine with me, because I get to play games that never would have existed otherwise.

I'm not a fanboy of valve or anything, Im pissed as fuck at some of their shit, but that's just how I see it. And this is coming from someone who hated steam when he first haerd of it.
>>
>>319705472

Fair enough. I would love for 3 (if it happens) to be way more open-ended, and maybe have weapon customization (though that could easily be unbalanced dogshit, a game like Left for Dead is pretty "casual" anyway so there won't be a lot of pressure to always play the best-built guns).

It'll never happen but it's fun to dream about.
>>
>>319703078

>Steam is amazing, Half-Life 2 is incredibly overrated

stopped reading right there

in literally the opening line you gave away you're 12.

get out.
>>
>>319705692
I don't think Valve ever needs to make another game with all the money they're making from Steam and maybe Dota.
>>
File: spassu dandy.jpg (973 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
spassu dandy.jpg
973 KB, 1920x1080
>ITT: Cynical nerds

THIS IS NOW A SPACE DANDY THREAD!
>>
File: spassu danudee.jpg (39 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
spassu danudee.jpg
39 KB, 400x300
>>
>>319706085
>>319705692
L4D3 has been confirmed to be in development about two times now
>I don't think Valve ever needs to make another game with all the money they're making
There is a reason they're making Source 2, anon. Gaben described the Source 1 tools as being "very painful" to use, both for them and other content creators.

But
>>
>>319706349
Whoops, didn't mean to have that "But" there
>>
File: eat shit.jpg (275 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
eat shit.jpg
275 KB, 1920x1080
>>
>>319704439
>revolutionary
It wasn't.
Same story with OOT.
The only people calling either games "revolutionary" were people who didn't know shit about videogames.
>>
What other company does cool shit like this and share it with the public? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCgnWqoP4MM

Anyone else would have outsourced this to China, but they built it themselves because they think it's fun. You can't complain about a company like this. :)
>>
>>319707105

Why weren't they revolutionary?
>>
>>319708639
Because other games did what they did before.
The "revolutionary" physics of HL2 were already implemented in Far Cry 1.
3D was already old news when OOT came out.
>>
>>319709049

I think you'll find execution trumps originality. Hydrox isn't exactly flying off the shelves you know.

Personally I don't believe "revolutionary" is a good term to apply to a video game. At the end of the day it's a toy, not penicillin.
>>
File: porky.png (54 KB, 262x260) Image search: [Google]
porky.png
54 KB, 262x260
>valve doesnt make games anymore
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.