[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is the best TES >Most awesome main quest, with alot of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 12
File: Daggerfall_Cover_art.gif (46 KB, 288x363) Image search: [Google]
Daggerfall_Cover_art.gif
46 KB, 288x363
This is the best TES
>Most awesome main quest, with alot of branching
>5 Guild + 8 temples each with pro's and con's at the start!
>Characters class that make sense,follow good ol'DnD rules, and are different
>Reputation that affect you
>Spell making that isn't shit
>Best combat of all TES
>Great in depth Lore, like 9 nine joinable vampires bloodlines each with preset territories (Vampire hunter too!)
>Direnni Tower, Mantella Crux, most of the best dungeon design of all time.

I could go on and on.

Why do you hate Daggerfall ? Why aren't you funding its remake?
>>
File: dagoc3.jpg (279 KB, 1918x1080) Image search: [Google]
dagoc3.jpg
279 KB, 1918x1080
>>
It's a great game but it still has its serious flaws, like not being able to buy magical items unless you're in the mage's guild and spell casters still being overpowered against melee characters. Also the leveling is kind of retarded and don't get me started on the bugs and glitches.
>>
>>319675529
You literally cannot beat the tutorial dungeon with certain classes/starting builds.
>>
File: dagoc5.jpg (294 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
dagoc5.jpg
294 KB, 1920x1080
>>
>>319675927
Yes you can, you just have to rush to the exit. There isn't a single deadly creature in this dungeon.
>>
>>319675898
You can join the school of julianos for that. Do 2-3 quest for them and you will be able to buy it.

Also in TES, Spell>>>>>>>>>>>Melee
>>
>Best combat

I've never played the game and I know it's supposed to be pretty good, but what makes the combat good?
>>
>>319676175
Huh... Didn't know that, also if spell casters are better than melee then the game is unbalanced, which is bad.
Still, Daggerfall wasn't nearly as unbalanced as Arena.
>>
File: CP9z4l7U8AAJQ-e.png large.png (516 KB, 1023x617) Image search: [Google]
CP9z4l7U8AAJQ-e.png large.png
516 KB, 1023x617
>>319676237
8 Different angle of shot each with pro and con. Chance of hit depending of your weapon skill and stamina.
Shield stack with defense and isn't overpower like in oblivion or skyrim.

I mean its not the greatest RPG fighting system ever, but its still wayy better than morrowind which was a stepdown
>>
>>319675529
>Best combat of all TES
Now how would one modernize the combat it had? Should they keep the stat based rolls for hits and dodges and shit? Should it be more active combat oriented but obviously keep the directional swings?
>>
>>319676237
it's directional while having an actual reason to use different attack directions unlike morrowind
best combat in an ES game isn't a very high bar
either way arena still had the best combat
>>
>>319676380
Game is unbalance since Arena, anon. Even in skyrim, a spellcaster is way stronger than a melee guy.
>>
>>319675927
It's more of a statement that your build is shit if you can't beat it but there are some things that get a slow start. And obv some of the class presets are shit.
>>
>>319676073
TELL ME HOW, MAN. I CAN'T EVEN PASS THE FIRST DUNGEON AND I'M USING A FUCKING STEALTHY CLASS.
>>
>2D sprites in a 3D game

Instantly dropped
>>
>>319676672
I didn't have much of a problem with all other games, then again the strafe worked.
>>
Can you become a vampire in daggerfall?

Fucking hell, I never got past the first dungeon. The combat just didnt do it for me.
>>
>>319676237

Different swinging motions, each with its own benefits, ex a stab is highly accurate but not very strong and a downward slash is really strong but not very accurate. Being able to hold a one handed weapon in each hand and then being able to switch between them, no dual wield though.

Just a few ex.
>>
I like how Arena and Daggerfall are the only games where you're not some chosen one.

I wish they had finished Daggerfall and put in rivals on the same quest, that would've been interesting.
>>
>>319676672
>Even in skyrim, a spellcaster is way stronger than a melee guy.
magic is shit in skyrim what are you talking about
they did the opposite in skyrim due to how shitty melee was in oblivion
in skyrim it's very easy to get extremely high damage on a weapon
>>
>>319676735
Did you build a custom class or start with a preset one? Stealth is one of the things that isn't very good early on.
>>
>>319676735
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKSbo0VpURg

Watch this video, remember the way and rush to the exit. It take like 2 minute to get out. This guy take four because he's playing with shit controls
>>
exploring the overworld is boring just a lot of randomly generated nothing which is why i prefer morrowind but the dunegons and other things are much better
>>
>>319677207
I don't think you were ever really meant to explore the overworld.
>>
>>319677109
Why was Captain Picard asking you to do stuff in the intro?
>>
>>319677018
Are you kidding me? The last spells in skyrim are overpower! I mean a huge fucking round of electricity all around me hitting everyone around. And I can spam it!

How's that not better than a strong hit with a hammer?(which don't exist in skyrim btw)
>>
File: muh character.png (65 KB, 640x479) Image search: [Google]
muh character.png
65 KB, 640x479
>>319677056
No. I'm playing as a rogue and put most of my skillpoints in stealth and backstabing. I tried to create a spellsword, but i suck at using magic and shit.
>>
File: Tamriel_map_arena.jpg (48 KB, 641x480) Image search: [Google]
Tamriel_map_arena.jpg
48 KB, 641x480
>>319675898
I agree with this guy
The best TES, but still flawed

with that in mind, anyone /arena/ here?

It definitely has some things that I prefer over Daggerfall
>>
B-B-But I got lost in a dungeon!
Clearly a flaw of the game, not even possible that I just need to practice and get better!
>>
>that fucking paralysis duration
aaaaaaaAAAAAAA
>>
>>319677701

That's why you roll high elf or at least take the paralysis resistance traits
>>
File: big dick problems.gif (1 MB, 360x202) Image search: [Google]
big dick problems.gif
1 MB, 360x202
>>319677539
I played Daggerfall a lot and it is my favorite TES game, but the randomly generated dungeons can be fucking ridiculous, specially when more often than not the quest objective has been spawn where you cannot reach it

>>319677701
also this, the poor balance has made paralisis too powerful and thus you are tempted to make a high elf only for the sake of resisting it, they then use "weakness to paralysis to get a boost, a well known trick
but

PRO TIP:
FUCK HIGH ELVES
poison, diseases and paralysis all must first pass your magical resistance, if you choose "inmunity to magic" as a feat you can choose weakness to poison, disease and paralysis as hindrances without almost any worry while also wiping your ass with other enemy spells, not to mention how low the difficulty dagger plumets
>>
File: SilOkkG.png (287 KB, 1019x633) Image search: [Google]
SilOkkG.png
287 KB, 1019x633
>>319677343
Because you actually have a backstory in Daggerfall (You can customize it in the character editor though)

>>319677207
That why you must praise this guy
https://twitter.com/gav_clayton

Pic related. This is actual Daggerfall terrain with 1.5 heightmap and a nice sky. The overworld was actually beautiful, but you weren't able to see it because its old.
>>
>>319677419
Preset Rogue probably has a bunch of useless fucking skills and you don't get to choose advantages and disadvantages. It might also have a low hp per level. Also you'll pretty much suck at magic unless you pick a school as your primary or major skill.

Early on you won't have high enough stealth to be able to backstab shit. Better invest in dodgethough it won't do shit early on either and critical. You should probably pick a weapon skill to focus aswell. Doing the background questionnaire you can get an Ebony Dagger which is a great weapon early on.

>>319677701
>not cheesing it with high elf
>>
>>319677356
because you can't improve spells like you can weapons
>How's that not better than a strong hit with a hammer?(which don't exist in skyrim btw)
what? there's two handed warhammers
>>
>>319678117
>https://twitter.com/gav_clayton
It's sad that this isn't really playable yet. Or well you CAN play it but it's missing so much shit.
>>
>>319678283
>>not cheesing it with high elf
high elves are shit
SHIIIIIIIIIIIT! >>319678059
>>
File: Spiderman Mode.webm (3 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Spiderman Mode.webm
3 MB, 640x480
>>319677539
You can tag sector in the map viewer, help alot for navigating. You can also leave candle on the ground to help remember your path.

When you play alot, you get grip and start remember the hallways and dungeon blocks.

Also, they are some hand crafted dungeon in the game, and those are really good and challenging.
>>
>>319678557
>Also, they are some hand crafted dungeon in the game, and those are really good and challenging.
This is true

but let's face it, Arena had the best dungeons BY FAR
>>
>>319675529
Oh idk how about it looks like fucking shit
>>
>>319678826
>buh muh grafix
>>>/tesg/
>>
>>319675529
>best TES
You posted the wrong picture, bro. That's not Oblivion, which is somehow even worse than Memewind
>>
>>319678631
They were good, But I remember them to be very flat, no vertical thing at all like wolfenstein.
>>
File: gnnnnn.gif (2 MB, 300x290) Image search: [Google]
gnnnnn.gif
2 MB, 300x290
>>319679070
>Oblivion
>>
>>319679231
I don't mind the flatness, they were quite complex and looked really good
There were some random dungeons, but because Arena gave you no reason to explore them you would mainly explore the ones that were hand crafted
>>
>>319676541
>>319676560
>>319676834

Interesting. So is the game worth a playthrough if I really enjoyed Morrowind back in the day?
>>
File: 2mrcos5s.png (211 KB, 1068x640) Image search: [Google]
2mrcos5s.png
211 KB, 1068x640
>>319681038
Yes it is, but you need alot of prep time and probably won't do the main quest on your first char unless you use an extensive guide.

Still very enjoyable.
>>
wew lads

What a lag.
>>
As a fan of Morrowind would I also enjoy Daggerfall and the first game as well?
>>
>>319683345
The mouse/drag movements of Arena may turn you off.
>>
Worst enemyleveling. Horrible rng dungeons.
>>
File: 1448135634061.jpg (41 KB, 476x452) Image search: [Google]
1448135634061.jpg
41 KB, 476x452
>played Skyrim, Oblivion and Morrowind
>came up with a list of things I didn't like and things that could imporve
>added a few ideas I had to add to the game
>mfw I realized over half the shit I had on the list was a feature of Daggerfall

I'm not sure why Bethesda keeps removing features from newer games. Wouldn't adding more shit give it more depth and variety?
Adding back weapon and armor degeneration would add hours to game time and would probably take less effort than designing hours worth of dungeons.
More joinable factions would add replayability without having to design more overworld.

At the end of the day, modding in a new dungeon to explore is much easier than trying to mod in new core mechanics, and mods are what make their games sell.
>>
>>319676939
You're not some chosen one in Morrowind either
>>
>>319685805
Yeah forgot to mention that Morrowind kind of played with that idea.

Isn't it meant to be ambiguous?
>>
>>319675529

I like Daggerfall a lot, but my ordering is still:

Morrowind > Oblivion > Daggerfall > Skyrim > Arena. Oblivion was my first TES, you see.
>>
>>319685875

It is. The only reason you're considered Nerevarine is because nobody knew your parents and Divayth Fyr's previously failed corprus cure worked, when Fyr might have just made a successful cure for everyone.
>>
>>319684798
>Adding back weapon and armor degeneration would add hours to game time

That sounds like loads of fun.
>>
>>319685875
It's kinda ambiguous, you fulfill all the parts of a prophecy, but were you destined to fulfill it or did you just 'brute force' through all the steps?

I think the part with the immunity to corpus disease strongly implies the latter, you weren't a 'chosen one', you just had the balls and sheer will to become one.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.