[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Handheld Steam Machine
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/smachteam/smach-z-the-first-handheld-steam-machine

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165193-Smach-Z-Handheld-Steam-Machine-Heads-To-Kickstarter#&gid=gallery_5182&pid=9

so whatcha guys think? looks pretty solid to me if this thing is even happens to be real. I'd love to poop while playing to some of my games or even shitty flash ones I find online
>>
>>319675069
>He doesn't know about the PSP, Vita, 3DS, DS...
>>
>>319675069
yeah, i'll wait till they release it and then decide if i want to buy it
>>
>>319675187
this thing can emulate 3 of those while being able to run PC games but yeah, it's totally the same thing
>>
There are a few big problems with this.

Nvidia tried the same shit and it flopped pretty bad because not enough people had the few amount of GPUs able to do this shit. At best this is literally a low power laptop using steam streaming, which is pretty clunky on low connections.

Also kikestarter is a terrible place to buy electronics period. There hasnt been one sucessful one to hit market yet. Just look at that drone that had millions poured into it, the OUYA, or the fucking oculus which took funding from facebook and has yet to reach market 2-3 years later
>>
>>319675484
What about fucking pebble and all the other products you're ignoring you motherfucker
>>
>>319675443
>New N-Vidya sheeld

Fuck off.
>>
>>319676121
>gpu wars having anything to do with this
>>
I don't know it looks a bit too huge and clunky to be used with any real portability. It seams like it'd hang out of your pocket.
>>
>>319676338
>le manlet pockets meme

it's slightly bigger than a phone
>>
>>319676518
Oh? I must have been looking at it wrong.
Well now i'm worried the screen will be too small to read text in game.
I'm thinking a flip screen would do it some good.
>>
>>319676109
Sorry I dont consider a maya rendering with terrible geometry and photoshoped in start and select buttons a winner anon.

You are right, there are some winners in the crowdfunding game. However there are many, many more losers.

If that AMD shilling video with clear lying of being able to play your games "anywhere" is your thing, then go right ahead and but it anon. Buy your overprice and undersupported vita with a terrible battery life and only able to play a handful of indies
>>
>>319676727
just lower the resolution
>>
>>319677081
>overpriced
lol ok
>unsupported
this is not OUYA lol, this has x86 architecture, it doesn't need "support", you can do anything you want with it
>>
Why not make a flipper like the DS goddammit
>>
>>319675069
>Uses Steam OS
Dropped.
>>
Might as well get a fucking 3DS if you want to play games while taking a shit.
>>
>>319678272
This desu.

I do love this trend of micro pcs but slapping Steam OS on them is the worst idea.
>>
>>319676121
What's wrong with the Shield portable ?

Mine had the feed cable disconnected after a fall so I had to return it, but otherwise, I have the entire PSP and GBA library with a GOOD controller. What's the problem?
>>
>>319678461
>>319678272
What's wrong with Steam OS?
>>
Is there a picture of someone holding it because from all the mockups it looks like it's 2 feet wide.
>>
>>319678461
They don't support it but it can run Windows with no problems
>>
nVidia Shield is fucking Android. It's not a "portable PC" in any stretch of the imagination.
>>
File: 1970548.gif (1 MB, 165x115) Image search: [Google]
1970548.gif
1 MB, 165x115
>apu that will run newer games at 30fps on low
>tiny ass space with no fans for heat
>thermal throttles within 5 minutes now getting 15 fps
>Steam Os
>64gb of internal memory
No
>>
>>319675484
Cheap laptop can still play enough really good games for it to be a viable portable option without streaming. I will probably buy this even though I already own a Shield portable. Believe me I know the extents of a cheap laptop after playing games on a $500 laptop for three years. 720p will look fine on this small display and at that resolution it should play quite a bit.
>>
Steam literally has no games worth playing.
>>
>>319682510
Its not for newer games and will play plenty at 720p with nothing else you listed being an issue when you consider its a handheld and by that same standard other handhelds would never satisy you either.
>>
>>319675069

Will it be gut to play vns?
>>
>>319682729
They dont, I sold my 3ds and just play games on my phone or laptop. I think its neat, it could be really cool but honestly if it doesnt fit in your pocket might as well get a laptop especially if you already have pc games. In the future when we have stronger apus/on board graphics and lower energy components that dont heat up as much then maybe this could work.
>>
>>319677732
A portable ouya would be the perfect mobile device desu honestly
>>
>>319682993
If you have such reasonable opinions maybe you should just say those instead of shitposting
>>
>5inch
>1080p
>>
This is vaporware scam nonsense. We don't even have a physical showcase.
>>
I wonder how long it will take to get release if it's funded?
>>
>>319683237
You can lower the resolution of games
>>
>>319683335
Usually these things take a year or two after being funded
>>
>>319683237
More resolution than a PS Vita
>>
>>319675069
I'm skeptical about kick-starters for hardware, they are indefinitely harder to fulfil.
>>
>>319675069
>Steam OS
NO THANKS!
>>
>>319675069
No way a handheld's GPU could be powerful enough to 'play any game on the market', And i'd rather have a 7" display with more conventional analog sticks than the touchpads on offer here.

If they were honest and "hey, this is powerful enough to play most indie games, older titles, and you can stream the rest" but nope, they claim to play "any game on the steam market"
>>
>>319685930
Thats obviously an exaggeration but you can lower the resolution and play most things at at least 30fps and non demanding games are enough to support it by the standards of most other mobile games.
>>
Ouya.
>>
>>319685930
The touchpads I guess are supposed to be like the steam controllers to play games that need a mouse, but that seems pointless if its a touchscreen. As far as the gpu it seems its using an APU the newer ones are fairly decent and can run 95% of games on low settings fine but its gonna thermal throttle fast and performace will go down, also I bet theyre using cheap as shit ram which isnt good if theyre using an apu which benefits from fast ram.
>>
File: asus-zenfone-2-1.jpg (59 KB, 472x550) Image search: [Google]
asus-zenfone-2-1.jpg
59 KB, 472x550
>>319677732
x86 doesn't automatically equal supported, you dumb motherfucker
>>
>that 5M stretch goal
Made me laugh desu senpai
>>
>>319686397
>but that seems pointless if its a touchscreen.
>>
File: steambench-biggest.004.jpg (235 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
steambench-biggest.004.jpg
235 KB, 1024x768
>>319680135
>>
AMD can cram in some pretty good processing power to their chips. The PRO model is going to be the one worth a damn unfortunately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AyzalgDG4E

Considering the advances in technology over the years, this should be a pretty interesting device.
>>
>>319686397
they're claiming they have some new unreleased magic apu from AMD with --2GB-- dedicated vram
>>
>>319675069
I'd rather have Atari Lynx desu.
>>
>>319683003
most chink portable android handhelds are probably more powerful than the ouya desu baka senpai
>>
I ordered mine for 199€. I'm so excited and I live near of them so I can break their legs if they lie me (they told me it will be able to run Last Light Redux well)
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.