[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
2deep4u games with themes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
I'm a real kissass for games with underlying theme statements.
I especially enjoyed silent hill 2 for being a mess of an extended metaphor for James and i like persona 4 for its theme of truth and ambiguity. also if there's themes in other games that one wouldn't otherwise think of, please share.
i just want to enjoy more thematic games so no shitposters please.
>>
undertale
>>
File: 1449092596214.jpg (2 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
1449092596214.jpg
2 MB, 3840x2160
The Stanley Parable

Wolfenstein The New Order

Bioshock/System Shock

undertale
>>
Majora's Mask - Coping with loss of loved ones
The Stanley Parable - The illusion of choice
Undertale - Loss of one's humanity because of omnipotence
Deus Ex and HR - The consequences of transhumanism
>>
Deadly Premonition. I have never been more blown away with the ending to a game than that one. Just suffer through the lumber mill level and the rest of the game is great.
>>
>>319632416
who is this demon semen
>>
The guy who made VVVVVV made a flash game called "Don't Look Back" which is a puzzle/action platformer adaptation of Orpheus, I thought it was pretty good. Won't blow your mind but it has a pretty clever bit towards the end.

http://terrycavanaghgames.com/dontlookback/
>>
Talos Principle and it's expansion, Road to Gehenna. Fucking amazing puzzle game with a fantastic story. Explores the nature of humanity, knowledge, God, and a whole barrel full of philosophical mind-fuckery.
>>
File: 1434667549809.png (11 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1434667549809.png
11 KB, 500x500
>>319632227
Yume Nikki
>>
mgs2 was damn impressive with its interpretation of societal control. Raiden's becoming of snake was pretty well implemented as well. Havent played in a while so cant really expand too much on their themes.
>>
>>319632227
"This war of mine" and even classic "Cannon Fodder" have some good anti-war underlying messages.

"Manhunt" and "GTA" is a metaphor of a rotten society

"Suffering" and "Soul reaver" is about redemption

"Planescape Torment" is about death
>>
>>319632227

No More Heroes - a critique of capitalism.
>>
Breath of Fire 3 has a lot of this stuff, it's all coated in a nice and vibrant exterior but the story is good
>>
Pathologic
>>
>>319632227
Silent Hill 1-4
>>
>>319632227
Metal gear solid 2 is a metaphor of current society
>>
File: Lisa.jpg (78 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
Lisa.jpg
78 KB, 200x200
>>319632227
Armored Core For Answer, though it borders THE EDGE, especially the third ending.

>Two Major Sides that are almost equally bad, both think might makes right, and that it's okay to kill a bunch of people for "teh cause"
>"The Good Guys" want people to live in some gay-ass clouds cities, which also prevent space traveling away from their husk of a planet
>The Bad Guys wan't people to return to eat shit on the shitty planet and maybe space travel, also, the shit planets toxicity will kill part of the former cloud-people on exposure if their plan is executed
>Third side is trying to not get involved and tries to make it alone, and is doing pretty well at it
>Be pretty much forced to kill the guardian spirit of the third side, making them a bitch for the "good guys".
>Choose to help either of the scum fuck sides
>Take the third option, which is to go full bezerker mode at both sides, also killing a shit ton of people when personally taking out the cloud-cities
>Game ends with you and your absolute madman-sidekick fighting against the allied elite-squad formed from the 6 best pilots from the good guys and the bad guys
>Sidekick dies during the epic battle and you alone are left as the Hypocrite Supreme after killing all the major players in the game, including: the holier-than-everyone space-paladin, super turncoat-man and your former operator who came back from retirement just to take you down(though failing miserably)
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.