[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do reviews of games influence your decision on buying them.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8
File: game review.jpg (131 KB, 1489x634) Image search: [Google]
game review.jpg
131 KB, 1489x634
Do reviews of games influence your decision on buying them.
>>
>>319587806
kind of the fucking point
>>
Yes.
>>
>>319587806
Not unless its from a small time jewtube channel. I trust a lowly nerd before I trust a "professional" game reviewer.
>>
>>319587806
Not from any journalist or aggregate site.
>>
No, reviews are stupid. I can watch a trailer or look at screenshots to help me decide.
>>
>>319587806
no not really
>>
File: 1428629258581.jpg (75 KB, 624x348) Image search: [Google]
1428629258581.jpg
75 KB, 624x348
No
>>
No, videos of gameplay does.
>>
>>319587806
No review(ers) are mostly terrible and totally biased , are extremely casual orientated and give negative points to stuff that does not matter for the game or gameplay.

The only "review" that i care of is that of people i personally know and know their taste.
Sometimes i trust /v/ as well (4 games i would never played but they where hyped up here , and you fags where right) but its always hard to keep the facts from the speculation and retardism.
>>
File: 1425306189539.gif (282 KB, 575x450) Image search: [Google]
1425306189539.gif
282 KB, 575x450
Yeah, usually. Don't want to be buying shit.
I also don't want to buy shit that reviewers think is good.

I give it the ol' Me Test.

1. Do I think the game looks fun?
Yes - Look up gameplay videos, go to Step 2
No - Don't play it

2. Do reviewers like this game that looks fun to me?
Yes - Look up User reviews/Metacritic user reviews/peoplehere
No- Look up User Reviews even harder
Double no- Stop looking

3. Do non-retards think it's fun?
Yes - Buy game
No - Don't buy game

Even then you get shit like KF2 adding microtransactions, CS GO introducing skins, Payday 2 microtransactions, so you can never REALLY know if a game will keep being good if it's online.
>>
>>319587806
Yes, but to varying degrees. I ended up not buying Akiba's Trip due to the combat looking bad and general opinions being "It's okay".
>>
>>319587806
Just a question, but what did he mean with "stiff story telling"?
>>
Of course it does. But I don't rely on a single source/site.
>>
Unless they highlight a glaring flaw, no
>>
>>319587806
no. the only thing that really influences whether or not I buy a game is steam sales
>>
File: 1446763378211.jpg (72 KB, 540x510) Image search: [Google]
1446763378211.jpg
72 KB, 540x510
b-b-b-bb-ut reviews don't matter!

it got a low score because they weren't bribed!
>>
File: 1408675850720.gif (2 MB, 352x199) Image search: [Google]
1408675850720.gif
2 MB, 352x199
I'm willing to consider /v/'s opinion on a game when it's positive, but I'd rather see for myself when I hear complaints unless disapproval is almost unanimous from both /v/ and the mainstream media.
>>
Those negatives.
>>
They used to, but then companies started paying for good reviews so they're worthless to me now.
>>
>>319587806
I have never played a game with a sub 50 on metacritic that I could consider "good".
>>
>>319587806
No, I only buy games /v/ constantly shit on. Worked great so far.
>>
>>319587806
Only steam reviews and mostly the negative ones.
>>
>>319587806
the reviewer gave it an 8.2 but honestly everything he said it was pretty positive in the video itself made the game look really much better than I anticipated.
also things below 9 don't deter me away from buying it.
I'm getting it after work. Looks fun.
>>
File: Corobo_Painting_Lv_3.png (54 KB, 240x300) Image search: [Google]
Corobo_Painting_Lv_3.png
54 KB, 240x300
>>319587806
no I decided to buy XCX when I found it it was Like XC but with more gaint robots. Honestly the last time a review influenced me to buy a game was the article for Little Kings Story on Wii and it turned out to be pretty damn fantastic
>>
>>319587806
Those are some retarded cons, especially since the game actually has real cons.
>>
>>319587806
No because every game I'm interested in buying gets good scores. I don't have shit taste
>>
File: 1448928286906.gif (1 MB, 350x197) Image search: [Google]
1448928286906.gif
1 MB, 350x197
>>319588491
My opinion :
The dialogues are kinda bad and the delivery and timing sucks.

I agree 100%. Still love this game.
>>
No. I know more about a video games then pro reviewers. Most of them are influenced by money or their own values and can't give unbiased reviews.
>>
Yes and No

If a game im am heavily anticipating gets a shit review, im still going to play it and ill find out the reviewer was a fucking a scumbag

Im looking at you Gamespot and your shitty Tropical Freeze review

I can't begin to express how fucking mad i am

Its even worse that the entire fucking crew used the garbage review as an excuse to omitt Tropical Freeze from every single fucking discussion in the rest of 2014 despite being a good fucking game
>>
>>319587806
It's an opinion on a game like any other opinion on a game, it doesnt weight more than an average post on /v/
>>
>>319588491

Its simple and not as deep as past games
>>
>>319590368
what sick fuck would make such a gif
>>
>>319587806
I dont care about reviews for Nintendo games
>>
No, but /v/ does. If /v/'s really into something, it's usually pretty good.
>>
>Usually I base my decision on the disparity between the Critic and User Reviews

Big difference usually means SHIT unless its an exclusive console game where you have to factor in babies.

Then /v/ usually has decent taste no matter how you look at it.
>>
>>319587806
Reviews have always come off as completely useless to me. I can look up gameplay footage of whatever game I want and decide whether it's worth my money. I don't need some pointless middleman to tell me why that is.
>>
no
thx piracy
>>
Only when the review is by someone who enjoys the genre, is knowledgeable about it, and doesn't go in with any bias either way.

Otherwise you get shit like http://www.ign.com/articles/2006/10/10/god-hand-review
>>
>>319587806
Not really. I've bought a game because Two Best Friends or someone else played some of it and I wanted it, though.
>>
>>319587806
Depends if I'm loyal to a series.
>>
If a nintendo exclusive gets a score that low it can't be very good.
>>
>>319587806
It really depends on just how critical they are and if they're not just giving a game a good review because of the company it's from or the fanbase that follows it. If it sounds to me like they're actually trying to point out things that are good or bad about a game versus particular opinions like "I feel like there was a lot of dialog." I don't give a fuck about that. "There are random framerate drops as well as choppy animations when there's a lot of action on screen." Alright that's the kind of information I want to hear.
>>
Sort of. But I look to the content of the review rather than the score and try to corroborate it with gameplay videos after release (because you can never trust trailers) or other reviews.

I generally read the reviews with the lowest scores. Positive reviews are too saturated with 'Don't pay attention to the haters!' or 'Well I liked it!' instead of more systematic analysis of the game.
>>
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 544x463) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 544x463
>>319588262
Not bad. That's essentially what I do as well. Keep it up.
>>
>>319587806
Usually not. If it's a Colonial Marines type thing where a game is getting universally trashed it might cause me to skip it. But even then if it's a game I'm really interested in getting trashed (like Devils Third) I might still at least rent it to make up my own mind about it. Likewise high review scores might get me to rent or watch gameplay footage of a game I wasn't previously interested in, but I won't outright buy anything because it scored well.
>>
>>319587806

Obviously if everyone says a game is good, I'm gonna buy it.

If critic scores are low, but user scores are high that means it's YMMV so I'll keep a watchful eye on it

If critic scores are high but user scores are low, i'll do the same thing.

And yes, if everyone says it's a bad game except for a few loudmouths, I'm not touching it unless i can get it for free.
>>
The only reviews I like are the ones that aren't trying to be fucking consumer reports. I would much rather watch two friends talk about a game casually with each other than read something a professional game reviewer wrote.

Professional game reviewers probably get 10 hours at the most to play the game they're reviewing before they have to play something else to review it.
>>
They did when I was younger and more ignorant. I've been burnt too many times to even bother with them anymore.
>>
>listening to people that don't play video games

Kill yourself
>>
The only thing i dont like about reviews is that they dont mention that they gave a game a lower score because they dont personally like it and pretend its the game's fault instead of saying that other people will probably like it

Vice versa to people who gave a game a high score acting as if there's nothing wrong with the game
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.