[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Been trying to get into a lot of old games, but the mechanics,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6
File: Fallout2.jpg (258 KB, 800x832) Image search: [Google]
Fallout2.jpg
258 KB, 800x832
Been trying to get into a lot of old games, but the mechanics, etc. feel really dated and make it hard to get into, especially in present day. Am I playing these games wrong, or am I a filthy fucking casual?

>pic related, been trying to play fallout, fo2, tactics, and bg
>>
Just gotta stick with it a bit.

If you really can't get into it, look up a guide or build suggestion, since there's plenty of ways to go about Fallout. Then keep in mind that you're playing an RPG, where RNG has sway, to keep the missing and shit in perspective.
>>
>>319560241
Both actually.
>>
>>319560241

Just not your thing.
>>
Its just nostalgia googles, todays games are way better
>>
>>319560241
You're a filthy casual.

Just stick with it and take your time.
>>
>>319560241
It's garbage, and games like Fallout had garbage controls even by 2000's standards. But the games are still fun if you manage to get used to them.
>>
>>319561648
But it didn't. This "Aged like milk" meme in relation to Fallout 2 is just garbage perpetuated by underage idiots.
>>
>>319560241

You're a filthy casual. Just accept it.
>>
>>319561309
this, the first time i played fallout 1 and 2 i had a hard time, but stick with it and you'll find a true gem
>>
I felt like that for the first hour but then it was totally fucking worth it.

I only care about story and going around n shit so I turn combat all the way down.
>>
>>319561902
What happens when you turn combat down? Just less encounters?
>>
with older games you have to use your imagination more, fill in the gaps with the belief that this is a real thing you're experiencing

we've become spoiled with 'mechanics,' the idea that everything has a gameplay purpose, and that everything should be complex

old rpgs like ultima had incredibly simple mechanics, but were engaging if you could take it seriously
>>
>>319561994
Done it at times to avoid fights I wasn't ready for and it seems to have made the enemy miss a whole lot more but that might be just RNG.

>>319560241
Went back to this recently and completely forgot the Temple of Fucking Trials. play high intm luck and agi with small guns was a dumb fucking move
>>
File: dog.jpg (101 KB, 460x306) Image search: [Google]
dog.jpg
101 KB, 460x306
I'd say playing older games is a bit like reading. You have to let your brain do some work to fill in the gaps. If you're a good reader, the process of mechanically reading text is secondary to what happens in your brain. You get so absorbed in the image the book is trying to convey, that you, how to say it, completely 'bypass' the process of reading itself.
It's an acquired skill, by the way.

If you're so inclined, try forcing yourself through Fallout 2, at least in the beginning. I'd say Fallout 2 has plenty of things that can grab you, but if you're 10 hours into the game and it's still not interesting, I don't think it's worth it at this point.

Maybe you just don't like the game, there's nothing wrong with it. Plenty of people didn't like F2 when it first came out.

I also think it was easier to stick to a game in the 90s, because you couldn't just grab whatever game from torrents or Steam. And there were very few casual repetitive games people could gravitate to in the search of 'easy' fun.

I don't know.
Cheers.
>>
I got into Fallout 1 immediately and loved it to death.
I tried getting into Fallout 2 and the 30 minutes I spent playing it dragged on so fucking hard.
How do I get into this game?
>>
>>319563903
Compared to Fallout 1, 2 definitely starts much slower. It's also a larger, less dense game.
I'd say Fallout 2 doesn't really start until you get out of Klamath and Den.
For me the game really opened up after I got to New Reno and/or Broken Hills.
>>
>>319562679

>This entire post
>>
>>319564479
Well, shit. I really want to play it, but the temple is boring as shit.
>>
>>319565086
Run through the temple
This game is a bit of a drag until you get to the Den. That's when it picks up for me personally.
>>
>>319564813

I take it you aren't very good at reading
>>
>>319565292
Will I miss anything good if I just run through?
>>
>>319560241
Try BG2. It's the most accessible of all the old crpg
>>
>>319565851
I was recommended BG2 about 2-3 weeks ago and I ended up experiencing the worst CRPG I've ever played.
>>
>>319565552
No.
The entire temple is like 20 minutes to finish anyways. You spent more time typing about it on 4chan.
>>
>>319560241

You might just want to Fallout 1 instead. There are plenty of reasons besides ">old game" to dislike Fallout 2.

I dislike Fallout 2 because I think the core gameplay doesn't justify the expansive scope of the game, it undermines its own setting by trying to be too funny too often, it starts off way too slow, and it is less focused than its predecessor.

What I'm trying to say is you can't generalize older games. There were a lot of bad ones, a lot of good ones, and a lot just come down to plain old personal preference. You may find that you hate some of the ones considered classics and fall in love with some of the games people barely remember.
>>
>>319566202
thats it punk, I've had it up to here with you!
>>
>>319566264
Well that's good to know, I guess I'll give it another shot when I get home.
>>
>>319566479
What was actually exceptional or great about BG2 compared to other Bioware RPGs?
>>
>>319561785
No, I'm literally replaying Fallout1 while waiting for my cs team. Everything controls like shit, menus are shit, every action is shit.
>>
File: 1446326833602.jpg (151 KB, 500x378) Image search: [Google]
1446326833602.jpg
151 KB, 500x378
>>319560241
It's /tg/ with graphics.
It does the roleplaying for you.
It's spoonfed roleplaying.

>how I imagine peeps on /v/ would describe Fallout 2 during its release

Just keep playing. If you don't like it, well shucks, you suck at video games.
>>
>>319566819

>menus are shit

Huh? Fallout 1 doesn't even have that many menus. The inventory system is pretty barebones, the level up system is very simple, there aren't any spell menus, the trading is simple enough...

The game is essentially a point and click with a minimal combat system I don't really see what there is to complain about in terms of UI.
>>
>>319566281
I love the amount of shit there is in the second and that companions actually do shit but totally agree, Fallout 1 had a much stronger atmosphere to it, felt they missed a trick by not letting you Super Mutant out and kill the Overseer
>>
File: 1399.jpg (147 KB, 450x671) Image search: [Google]
1399.jpg
147 KB, 450x671
>>319560241
have you played fallout 4? if you didn't, it pretty much shows what modern gamers need in order to keep playing more than 20 minutes
>follow this arrow to the action!
>you are where the action is! now start shooting here and there!
>good! here, equip this [item] and kill [super strong enemy] with it!
>WOW YOU ARE THE COOLEST I RATE YOU 10/10 AND RECOMMEND YOU TO MY FRIENDS YOU ARE NOW A GENERAL HERE IS YOUR COMPLIMENTARY GENERAL HAT HAVE FUN MOTHERFUCKER

good classic rpgs
>the character you created now enters a world
>???
>what do I do, what is this, what am I doing, what's going on, what the fuck
>why am I even trying to play this
>oh wait this isn't half as bad
>woah wait this is really good
>>
>>319568501
Based Jesus hit the nail on the head (no offense Jesus)
>>
>>319567371

> felt they missed a trick by not letting you Super Mutant out and kill the Overseer

You mean if the game continued after the master captures you and turns you into a super mutant?

That would be pretty cool and probably wouldn't have taken too long to implement. Just a couple of lines of dialogue, some new sprites, and a new quest log. Unfortunately they were extremely pressed for time when they released the game.

I remember reading somewhere that the companion AI was literally programmed in the two weeks and that is why it sucks so bad.
>>
You are just a fucking pleb OP, and that is okay. Some video games require a little more investment and effort to enjoy but are worth it in the end because of the mechanics and depth. Maybe try some other old games like deus ex or homeworld. If you are still having trouble don't worry about it, just don't pretend you are capable of having good taste or in formed opinions about games.
>>
Fallout 1 and 2 have extremely huge flaws although I like them very much. It's really not for everyone.
>>
File: 1449632909689.png (77 KB, 1111x344) Image search: [Google]
1449632909689.png
77 KB, 1111x344
>>319568501
>>
There is really much bullshit in the old Fallout games especially in 2. The combat is pretty bad. Endgame combat is all about one shotting everyone with criticals and being lucky enough not to get one shot by criticals yourself. I'm not even joking. Even with 10 luck there is no way to survive the crit of an endgame weapon.

Everything about navigations, menus and inventory is horrible. The soundtrack is very tiring, it's really gloomy despite the game being very comical. There is no ambient music at all. Don't get me started and the eye cancer that is the system with the transparent walls.

Despite all that, the games, especially Fallout 1 are excellent.
>>
File: 1408359271885.gif (806 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
1408359271885.gif
806 KB, 320x180
>>319568501
I recently played F4 after spending some time on NV and ho-lee shieeet. You can definitely see the difference in design philosophy and internal mechanics between Beth and Obsidian. It's saddening really.
>>
>>319562679
Writing isn't the bad part, it's just the combat and general game itself feels clunky in comparison to modern games. Going from modern gaming to PCRPG is a bit of a jump.

>>319570414
Probably summed it up for me.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.