[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
it's pretty mediocre. what was valve thinking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: steam controller..png (33 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
steam controller..png
33 KB, 512x512
it's pretty mediocre. what was valve thinking
>>
>>319546618
It's actually really good once you're used to it
>>
>>319546758
>>319546618
I find it ok. It won't beat a 360 controller in being a 360 controller.
>>
What dies this thread have to do with sjws on twitter? Reported.
>>
>>319546618
Spork
>>
why the fuck did i buy this: the controller

you know what also fucking sucks? that steam can remap kb+m+xi input, but only in big picture and only for this thing. that right there could be extremely handy if you could use it for other devices.

and also the the thing doesnt have a true native mode, 'native' mode right now is just context sensitive remap swaps with steam doing all the heavy lifting by still emulating kb+m+xi
>>
>>319546962
>fug.jpg
>>
>>319547582
Why the fuck DID you buy it?
>>
how do i make it work with non-steam games? adding them to steam and launching in big picture does not work for many games
>>
>>319546618
They were thinking touchpads were a good. They're not.
>>
>>319548420
just got it yesterday and i dont know yet.
as for my steam games they have the most functionality over anything else. The analog stick and triggers work as analogs. it works for all my KB+M games. still have to do testing for a few days, but I like it
functionality is there, practicality is not, but the same concept can be adapted into more practical means.
>>
It's a pain in the ass to use and configure plus it forces Big Picture Mode.

Why would I go through all of that hassle when I can just plug in a 360 controller and go? Pretty much everything easily works with it.
>>
>>319548658
it is a good idea. It covers kb+m inputs, not the same practicality in FPs and shit, but you can use it
its mostly for max comfy, but it also works really well for various 3d games.
I never had a controller and the drivers to make my analog inputs work. This changes alot and I'm not tech savvy to know enough why only steam controllers can do this.
>>
>>319548753
do your analog inputs on 360 controller work? no matter what I did analog sticks were as good as 8 directional pads
>>
>>319548753

Why would you do even that when you have a mouse and keyboard already attached to your PC?
>>
The fact that you're required to use Big Picture to configure it is a huge pain in the ass.
>>
>>319548969
maybe you dont feel like playing arcade games or games like DMC with KB+ M

i love adventure games too so i've been using it for that and some third person games.
>>
>>319549072

Maybe this whole Big Picture thing wouldn't be as much of a problem if Big Picture wasn't such a CPU-raping resource hog.
>>
>>319546618
Could this thing run witcher 3 smoothly?

Any benefit to buying this over an xbone/ps4?
>>
>>319549190
>hey guys can this controller run a game
>>
All the button switches are too fucking loud.

I want a controller not a pocket mechanical keyboard.
>>
>>319549190
you'll need to download the latest firmware update, it adds more ram so it can run witcher 3 better
>>
If the button mapping wasn't linked to steam it would be great.

Iff it had a little stand alone config program like Logitech and every other input device manufacturer it could be great but since it is slaved to big picture mode its sucks to setup
>>
Same thing valve is always thinking

"These retarded pc fags will buy it if the games are 60 fps and 1440p."
>>
>>319548969
Mouse and Keyboard is absolute garbage for third person games that aren't shooters.

If PC is ever going to get 3D platformers and other similar games, the market has to adopt controllers.

The Steam controller is shit though.
>>
>>319548969

Because despite what you pcfags want to believe, m&k is shit for everything but shooters and RTS
>>
>>319549567
Most pc gamers already own controllers. I doubt some assholes making a subpar controller and marketing it as "for pc gamers, by pc gamers", is going to really change much.
>>
>>319547582
Steam doesn't emulate the inputs. Steam "reminds" the controller what its inputs are and the firmware inside the controller rearranges itself so the controller can send the inputs directly to the computer on the hardware level.

You can even navigate your BIOS with the default config.
>>
>not just using an Xbone pad or DS4

It's the golden age of gamepads and you go to the most retarded choice by default. Shameful
>>
File: 1445905933784.jpg (141 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1445905933784.jpg
141 KB, 640x480
Why do controllers always use the letters A, B, Y and X?
>>
>>319549719
I completed red alert 2 with dualshock recently, felt good man
>>
i think one of the problems is we all saw the prototypes that looked very un-xbox like and assumed that valve was trying to dethrone xinput as the de facto pc controller standard. obviously that intent, if it was ever there in the first place, got dropped along the way.

when they talked about playing pc games on the couch, that wasnt a suggestion, thats the only purpose; a kludge to get desktop games into the living room, for better or worse. theres some kind of irony here where desktop gamers have been helping themselves to console games via emulators for ever, they are trying to do the reverse but i dont know if this is something anyone ever asked for?

so, are steamboxes doing well? will they have sold tens of millions after 2 or 3 years? i tend to presume no, so chances are this thing will be yet another oddball controller to add to the pile of failed experiments in video games
>>
>>319550028
true, but i dont know how it handles x-input, i dont see an xbox controller in device manager when using it so idk?
>>
>>319549354
You can turn off haptic feedback you donut, and the button switches themselves aren't any louder than 360 or any current gen controller.
>>
>>319550540
Because then you get special snowflakes like PS that make arbitrary changes that don't add anything and add confusion to people going to that platform from another
>>
>>319547582
>Only fully works in big picture
That's what pisses me off the most. As if Steam needs any more ways to lock users into its shitty walled garden.
I suppose you could use xpadder or something, but still, fuck.
>>
they should have gone with the touch screen
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.