[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Proof that EA is so butthurt about Valve taking a 30% cut on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 4
File: what.png (1 MB, 1902x961) Image search: [Google]
what.png
1 MB, 1902x961
Proof that EA is so butthurt about Valve taking a 30% cut on every purchase that they will forever keep their games off of steam.

But what's weird is that you can buy Battlefront from Uplay or the Uplay store and then have to download Origin. How much of a cut would ubisoft make?
>>
i think EA is still pissed valve never really updated the ps3 version of tf2. they had a deal, you know?
>>
i read an article that they said 'hardcore gamers might find the game lacking in content' because 'they decided to market the game to the widest audience' and things like 'so a son could sit on the couch with his dad and play the game'

smells like BS. regardless of that, does that mean its OK for casuals to buy a game with a quarter of the content for twice the price?
>>
>>319545050
Actually isn't it a good thing that we don't have EA stuff polluting Steam? Seriously name a good fucking EA recent EA game. I honestly can't think of any. Then again there's questionable reasons as to why certain indie game get approved so whatever.
>>
>>319548231
How recent is recent? I thought Madness Returns was great. If it's after that, then you've got me.
>>
>$89.99

Am I missing something here? Is this the price for the standard game? How do they justify this price when they get %100 of the sale?
>>
>>319548480
Madness Return is on steam
>>
>>319548707
He's gotta be Australian or Canadian or something
>>
>>319545050
>Using Uplay on purpose
>Ever
You are a funny man anon.
>>
>>319548707
>>319548928

DESU even if that was the American price I wouldn't be fucking surprised because Star Wars milking at it's finest is in full force (pun not intended)
>>
Question:

How many players are left on PC?
>>
>>319549127
You can buy the game for 39.99 USD, and could day 1. Hes a filthy kangaroo, and EA hates them so much there's not a single BF server on that entire continent.
>>
>>319549241
Bout 20k at peak. I'm still having fun playing sw ctf. The large modes are a bag of dicks however.
>>
>>319549241
Currently online players:

PC: 11,281
XBOXONE: 21,861
PS4: 57,658
>>
>>319549127
I bought the deluxe edition day 1 for $45 here in the US
>>
>>319549241
Enough that I get a game at any time of the day
>>
>Here's mirrors edge
>No achievements or DLC or any kind of support though

I'm glad ME is as good as it is but holy shit
>>
>>319549418
its going down quick. PS4 was averaging about 120k+ every day last week
>>
>>319549297
>>319549502
Well yeah I was just saying Star Wars milking is ridiculous in a general sense because fuck Disney etc.
It sucks for the people in other countries though. Always feel bad for how much they get ripped off like this for games.
>>
File: 1368614608786.jpg (10 KB, 297x274) Image search: [Google]
1368614608786.jpg
10 KB, 297x274
>$90
>for a game with only a fraction of the content from its predecessor from a decade ago
>>
>>319549418
Battlefield 4 has almost double that on PC. What a shitty game.
>>
>>319549418
Game is dying. Normies didn't fall for it for once.
>>
>>319549839
Thats only kinda true. It has a shitload more manhours behind the content it does have, even if theres fewer choiced as. a result. BF2 maps were made in a day in one of those old school UT style level editors reusing assets out the ass from bf1, and they were not exactly quality levels. Not that HvV or HH are quality modes either, but the maps we got are better than any from BF2.
>>
>>319549241
I can personally never find any fucking matches immediately. gotta wait in the lobby with 8 other dudes waiting forever. Thats Supremacy by the way and the jakku content sucks
>>
>>319548480
I liked the game, but it wasn't anything close to great
>>
>>319548231
>Pollutng Steam
Steam is a marketplace. Having things on it does not affect the quality of everything else on the marketplace.
>>
>>319551313
True just I question how some of the stuff actually got approved though. Like that game with the showering dads.
>>
>>319551313
Tell that to phone game stores
When it started you used to be able to find something good just on the first page
Now its hard to find anything playable
>>
>>319551431
>what is money
>what is profit margin
>what is not having one particular ideology in what you sell other than to obtain money

Is it really that hard? Valve isn't picking and choosing because they like it, they want to make money. They do take games down if people bitch enough and it looks like it'll cause more problems than make money.
>>
>>319551313
>Steam is a marketplace. Having things on it does not affect the quality of everything else on the marketplace.
Well, there was that period before Valve turned "New Releases" into "Popular New Releases" where it was full of nothing but god awful pump and dump games once they opened the floodgates and abandoned any pretense of editorial control.
>>
>>319545050
I wouldn't be surprised if Ubisoft is paying THEM considering how shit Uplay is and how badly Ubisoft tries to force it on everyone.
>>
>>319551313

it does when someone is selling actual trash
>>
>>319545050
>No EA games on Steam

And nothing of value was lost.
>>
why the fuck would a multi-billion dollar company agree to use a program that takes 30% of its profits when they have the resources to do something similar?

think OP
>>
>>319553410

why can't EA just make their own console?
>>
>>319553542
literally irrelevant

I'm sure with EA's reputation they wouldn't even bother making their own console, it's pretty obvious the big 3 own the console market

meanwhile, they can force users to use their Origin instead of Steam if they want to play their games. The MIGHT be able to do that with a console, but if they create a console that only plays EA games, I doubt anyone would actually buy it
>>
>>319545050

>89.99$

Jesus OP, where do you live?
>>
>>319553705
>meanwhile, they can force users to use their Origin instead of Steam if they want to play their games.

or they can just not play their games, which is basically what's happening right now. The only origin game I own is burnout paradise and I got that for free, and on this new computer I've made no effort to install origin nor do I know anyone else who owns origin
>>
>>319553824
EA is huge. I don't have the numbers, so I don't want to say anything definite but I'm sure a lot of people actually use Origin to play their games.

I would be interested in seeing how many people actually use Origin tho.
>>
>>319551920
No it doesn't. Just don't buy the trash.
>>
>>319553410
Because Steam has a significantly larger userbase than Origin so it would make them more money in the long run if at least 30% more people buy it.
>>
>>319554127

nobody wants to shop in a place that has tons of garbage lying around
>>
>>319553410
Ubisoft's not complaining.
>>
>>319545050
>uplay
lmao enjoy losing my money you were never going to get anyways shit game

Although I wish Blizzard would sell D1/2 through Steam.
>they already have my money I just want to farm hours
>>
>>319554317
You're right that it would be a problem if this were a real store. Luckily the worst thing that can happen to you on steam is you read the name of a game that you're not interested in before moving on.
>>
>>319547108
It's okay for the business. As a matter of fact, it's exactly what they could've asked for.
>>
>>319553974
Certainly less daily users than steam that has dota and csgo helping it along, but registered users was only 20 million behind by the last numbers I can find. Most peopls arent faggots like here and don't really care if they have all 3 stores installed. I know I don't... steam isnt magically less evil than the others, and they have exclusive games or games cheaper quite often.
>>
File: shite.png (8 KB, 176x272) Image search: [Google]
shite.png
8 KB, 176x272
>>319549241
>>
game was released too early. when the movie hit the screens it will start selling again.
>>
>>319548231
>implying steam isn't already polluted by greenlight and early access shit

I don't see how getting EA back could make it any worse
>>
>>319555481
Greenlight doesn't even serve a purpose anymore. I don't get why anyone bothers with it or why Valve even still supports it. Just pay the $100 (or whatever it is) to get onto Steam and be done with it.
>>
>>319545050
You don't think 30% is a pretty high cut given all the do is add your game to a text list and allow people to buy it from you?

I mean, it requires almost no work from them to allow your game on Steam and they get tons of free cash.

Seems unfair to me not that EA isn't a faggot anyway.
>>
>>319557586
iirc they host game files to download for some games so theres that
>>
>>319550442

Yeah, well tell the DICE map makers to GIT GUD
>>
>>319557586
You're paying for a service. A lot more people use steam than use Origin or Uplay, so you get more exposure and more people willing to buy the game. Just look at all the threads people make on here complaining about Origin or Uplay or any of these other third-party systems that are trying to copy Steam. Steam is the original and it's like facebook, people are going to copy it, but unless they sell for way cheaper, nobody is going to switch from Steam to something else.
>>
>>319558138
Most EA games have more than enough exposure already and the number of people that don't play them because of Origin is probably miniscule.

30% is way too high of a cut for a company like EA that already has the network infrastructure to do it themselves.
>>
>>319558138
>>319557586
Also Steam is a WAAAAAAY better service than Origin or Uplay in terms of user interface and design(at least, since I last used the latter services a while ago)
Big companies like EA and Ubisoft should be able to make a platform that's good to use but they consistently fail. I don't know why, just copy and paste the interface from steam.
>>
>>319558532
I'd rather pirate an EA game than install origin, so from my perspective, EA is losing a sale 100% of the time
>>
>>319558665

probably patented, or they don't want to acknowledge steam at all in their design
>>
>>319553410
This, 30% is huge for shareholders, they'd much rather EA make their own platform and then use these games to increase the size of it for future games. We'll only ever see EA putting their games on Steam when the sales have completely stopped.
>>
>>319558847
Its most likely the latter
I'm not saying just paste EA logo onto steam, but when I start your program it should load up fast (well, steam USED to be faster...) and take me to my library where I have all my games legibly laid out and I just have to click on it to start the game with minimal popup from the service once I'm in the game
And you can't patent common sense and good user design
>>
>>319551313
>>319554127
>what is oversaturation

did you forget why the console crash happened?
>>
>>319559148
>And you can't patent common sense and good user design

you'd be surprised
>>
>>319545050
Releases: 17/11/15
>17 months in a year
lmao
>>
>>319559264
Yeah I realized that as soon as I posted it
But you know, the general stuff I said is generic enough to be safe
>>
>>319545050
Holy fuck steam does it really need to be so much
>>
>>319558847
You can't patent a ui it's the latter.
>>
>>319560857

you totally can and people have
>>
>>319558138
>>319558665
I understand what they provide but it took them almost nothing to make that happen and they do very little. It's entirely automatic and they don't really go out of their way to advertise your product. It only lasts on the front page until another new game comes and takes your game off that list.

What they provide is worth 10-15% tops and they only give you this shit deal because their competitors (consoles) give you even more shit deals.

That's like saying one grocery store is charging $100 for a 1lb of rice but it's fine because their faggot competitors are charging $300 and there's no shortage of rice anywhere.
>>
>>319562726
I'm not saying that shit is fair, but its just economics. If people don't like your service they wont use it, or will complain when they are forced to
Especially when they don't even hide that their platforms are just dolled up clunky DRM and DLC pushers
>>
File: tantrum.jpg (33 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
tantrum.jpg
33 KB, 600x399
>>319545050
>Proof
I don't think anyone needed "proof". They went out of their way to say that they were. Even went so far as to go "Yeah?! Well I'm making my OWN digital distribution platform where I will get ALL of the profits! Faggot! And then I'm going to take all your customers when they realize that E fucking A refuses to release games on Steam!"
>>
>>319545050

I remember awhile back EA straight up said "we aren't trying to compete with Steam" and they fucking said this while already have a dozen + games that are exclusive to origin and not available on steam.

How fucking retarded do they think people are?
>>
>>319565942
They aren't trying to. They don't want the indie shit, or anybodies shit but their own. Hell... all it sells is ubi games (probably giving ubi 100% cut in return for 100% cut of ea games on uplay or something similar) and square games. And square is just a whore that doesnt much seem to care about their cuts as long as theres sales numbers.
>>
>>319565942
Well if its only their games they aren't competing in a literal sense, sense Steam is more a platform for Pc games and not just Valve's games
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.