[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this worth $60? I just bought a PS4, and I haven't played
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6
File: destiny_the_taken_king-wide.jpg (2 MB, 2880x1800) Image search: [Google]
destiny_the_taken_king-wide.jpg
2 MB, 2880x1800
Is this worth $60?

I just bought a PS4, and I haven't played any console shooters in a while. Is this worth picking up? I remember a lot of people complaining about bullet-sponge enemies and a shitty loot system. Does the expansion fix this? I played the demo and it seemed fun enough, the art style and atmosphere is pretty cool. Does the game just turn to shit later?

tl;dr is it worth it with the new expansion
>>
simple answer, yes. As a huge day one fan (not many of us left) i still play it everyday.
>>
>>319511457
If you have friends to play it with? Yes.

If you don't? No.
>>
>>319511961
I don't. Is the /vg/ crowd alive/tolerable?
>>
>>319511886
what is there even to do anymore?
play the unablanaced as fuck multiplayer?
>>
>>319512007
theres plenty to do by yourself, and its fun, also there are plenty of lfg sites for raids and such. Its a great game. people just love trash talking it for some god awful reason.
>>
>>319511457

if you have friends then go ahead.

It's not a fun game to play by yourself after a while.

After the main game, you just basically play the same 3 or 4 things every week in hopes you don't get fucked by RNG, which is more enjoyable/less tedious with pals.
>>
File: 14235456545654564.jpg (244 KB, 752x893) Image search: [Google]
14235456545654564.jpg
244 KB, 752x893
>>319512007
/dg/ crowd is bearable, there's a few autists. Also, there's a thing called Refer-A-Friend where the supreme overlords of bungie have allowed people to trick their unknowing friends into this bear-trap of a game. If you redeem a code given to you by someone on Bungie.net, they will give you a special emote, sparrow, sword, and some other shit if you complete certain things with the "Veteran" player. So, please be my Kinderguardian.

Also, there's sparrow racing.
>>
>>319512007
I use /vg/ when I need to find people to raid/quest with or to just do fireteam stuff like pvp. I don't really like pvp though since I hate using gamepads for FPS.

That said, it's a solid game and worth it. It's a little bit of a grindfest (though year 2 is a lot easier to gear up with). Subclasses with their super abilities are fun as hell and the gunplay (despite being a console shooter) is solid.

It's unique in shooters in that movement is very important. A lot of the raid sections have platforming/puzzle segments that require you to move fluidly. It's the only reason why I can see the appeal in using analogue sticks for, but shooting is still a hassle.

Biggest downsides for me is that it's only on consoles locked at 30fps @ 720p, and that you have to use a controller. If you don't mind that, then you can spend a lot of time in this game. Raids are fun, but they're fun depending on the people you're with. Nowadays you'll mostly get tryhard redditors, but despite the cesspool at the /vg/ threads, you can find a lot of pleasant people to play with there.

That said, the last time I played was last month. I don't know how the game is going right now.
>>
File: THERE IS STILL HOPE IN MAN.gif (1 MB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
THERE IS STILL HOPE IN MAN.gif
1 MB, 400x300
>>319511457
I got it for my PS4 as well OP and it's a pretty neato Diablo-lite. I'd rate it 6-7/10 with some cool 8/10 moments. Lots of wasted potential but what's there is nice.
Current light is 280 or so. Add me if you get it and start to play
>>
>>319512463
>Also, there's sparrow racing.
Wait what

Since when? How?
>>
It's trash.
>>
>>319512635
https://www.bungie.net/en/pub/sparrowracing

Until Dec 29, Kinderguardian.

Now use my Refer-A-Friend code.
>>
>>319512720
You're fucking kidding me.

Now I have to renew my PSN. Fuck.
>>
>>319512720
>>319512565
Sure, you guys convinced me. My ID is EpocHayur, add me if you want to play sometime
>>
>>319513029
There's only 2 maps dude. It's underwhelming.
>>
>>319512065
>unbalanced
Please explain. I can ream in crucible as ab level 10
>>
>>319513929
For now. This is a three week trial run. If everything goes well it may be permanent
>>
>>319512065
can you explain, I feel like something is off in Destiny mutliplayer I just can not put my finger on it, besides guns being imbalanced something about the maps feel off
>>
>>319514056
>for now

Yeah, because the thing we all want is for Bungie to waste development time on fucking race tracks instead of actual fucking content.

>>319514053
He means the meta is fucked to favor one type of weapon every time they patch it.

>>319514171
They're just bad maps.
>>
File: just buy itg.png (242 KB, 500x368) Image search: [Google]
just buy itg.png
242 KB, 500x368
>>319513850
Here's my Refer-A-Friend code, I'll play with you on Thursday/Friday since I still have exams to study for.

The code also gives you an experience boost when playing with me.

https://www.bungie.net/en/ReferAFriend?code=RAF-XVK-YNK-TGP
>>
>>319514214
>They're just bad maps.
yeah but why I mean I love some of them design wise but something about them feels off to me and not fun. I do not even play shooters I got this one for free and compared to the very few times I played shooters before these maps feel odd.

I also hate how their is never an active vehicle playlist, and when there is its just 3 vehicles and turrets
>>
>>319514214
>one weapon
But i change my weapons type every match, and still win. Sounds like you guys just suck
>>
>>319511457
I was super interested in grabbing this for PS4, until I heard the "broadband connection required" thing. I live in a fucking retarded city in Australia, where my nearest broadband exchange is full, and nobody is going to fucking upgrade it, so I've been making do with 10GB per month of ridiculously overpriced, godawful 3G mobile broadband, which basically rules Destiny out for me. I only ever connect my PS4 to the internet periodically to check for updates to certain games. I don't play online or use any of the other online features.
>>
>>319514447
There's only 2 vehicles in the entire game, thats why there's no vehicle playlist. There used to be a playlist called Combined Arms that featured vehicles but they took it out because no one played it.

>>319514514
Yes, I'm sure you were stomping people with a hand cannon before today's patch.
>>
>>319514559
Its an online only game, its a MMO-lite.
>>
>>319514615
>they took it out because no one played it.
source? I believe you because it has been a very long time since they did it but if they actually said I will be pissed. They could have at least given us more vehicles instead of racing and made some sort of vehicle event. Like whats her face wants us to test out a knew guardian tank or some fucking shit
>>
>>319514615
Still manage to. You do know you can move when you shoot?
>>
its a thinly veiled themepark mmo for plebs who never played an mmo before in their lives

you'll be amazed and astonished at all the marvels PC gamers have had for like 15 years now

i bought taken king havent fucking touched it, because they failed to do even the most rudimentary balance passes for weapons and stuff for PVP . like over a year since i played and when i played i posted threads bitching about how fucking OP certain weapons were, only until like a month after the taken king did they decide to patch the shotgun from being 1 hit kill ez mode gun in pvp

simple shit they just overlook or wouldnt even be close to acceptable dev behavior for an mmo

so if you got a pc, even the most basic one, play a pc mmo and youll have a lot better time

if you only can use a console, get destiny, but just play it casually, dont do raiding, raiding is a huge time sink and terrible in everyway on destiny, like the worst of both worlds tied into one shitty experience
>>
>>319514697
Well, yeah, but I thought you could play through the campaign largely by yourself, as though you were offline. From memory, I remember reading that you bump into other players now and then but nothing really happens? I just wish they'd have just put an option in to play the campaign solo, offline, and have all the multiplayer shit be optional (like the Souls games, I guess?).
>>
>>319511457
Do not buy this piece of shit, comes with previous yet useless dlc, and the rest can be completed in a day, fuck the fags that like this money grab garbage
>>
>>319514803
It hasn't been in the game for months. People have been clamoring for Sparrow racing since vanilla, they're just making good on that and also selling more shit with microtransactions.

>>319514858
I get it MLG pro.

>>319514967
You can play it solo but you cannot play it offline. You can run into other players in certain instances but during story missions you usually don't.

>>319514939
Shotguns are only now nerfed to a level where they aren't ridiculous. As in, only as of TODAY have they been touched in such a way to make them not everyone's main weapon in PVP.
>>
>>319514939
The live balance team for Destiny at launch consisted of 4 people. Its not an excuse for the shitty balance but the harsh reality of what the retards at Bungie thought would be acceptable for the type of game they were making.
>>
>>319515224
>selling more shit with microtransactions.
I do not mind microtransactions for emotes, but for the masks and horns and armor and shaders with no grinding option is bullshit. I liked the masks they were a neat little thing but of course there was no way to keep them unless you paid money
>>
>>319514939
No, it has all the high points of an MMO with none of the autistic downsides. I can socialize and fuck around with other players without the sperg-tier raid strats and awful community. It's just a bunch of players shooting shit and having a goddamned ball.

MMO's are trash. Destiny took the social elements with none of the bullshit.
>>
>>319515583
They're selling a "logbook" with the race event that unlocks unique gear and a unique sparrow for the low low price of $10
>>
>>319515623
I'd agree with you, but there is definitely a flaw and a need to improve on the ability to socialize with other players.
>>
>>319515773
thats my problem no option to earn it via grinding, anything beyond emotes should be obtained in game with out paying with a quicker buy it now option
>>
>>319515825
I'd say all it really needs is text chat. I can just plug in a cheap keyboard or use a text pad.
>>
>>319515623
No i prefer JEENNNKIIIINNSSSSSS to "Alright niggers, lets shoot shit" I prefer having kek classes like healers, not big dick classes like Warlocks.
>>
Lol no, TTK is worse than vanilla and on top of that, no new expansions for a year, just shitty seasonal events where the main thing is exclusive dance emotes for that season. Festival of the Dead and sparrow racing are complete jokes
>>
>>319515953
>Trading
>More abilities
>More armor/weapon slots
>class armor that changes the functionalities of your class to allow for further niche gameplay. Titan armor that gives a taunt.
>>
Its pretty good with friends but wait for a sale op. I'd say its leagues ahead of borderlands.
>>
Not worth 60$. It was also 35$ on black friday and cyber monday on the PSN store.
It's a very good mindless game though and the raids are fun.
>>
Haven't read the thread but no. I was a day one player and stuck with Destiny through thick and thin. TTK was really their chance to improve their image. They did provide a good amount of content but it wasn't 40 dollars worth and after like 2 days you already run out of shit to do. There are a lot of 'quests' but the quest system in Destiny is so god awful it actually makes the game worse. Anyway I'm ranting, basically Destiny is a game for those with OCD. There isn't really anything to do, I know that sounds silly for a game that has a shit ton of DLC but it's true. You either play the horribly unbalanced multiplayer or you replay the same 6-8 strikes over and over again (I forgot how many strikes there were). It's really just a waste of money that got a fanbase by the Bungie name alone.
>>
File: 1441726504018.gif (2 MB, 448x252) Image search: [Google]
1441726504018.gif
2 MB, 448x252
PC version when? I really want to try this game.
>>
>>319511457

It's a painfully average Halo clone with tedious RPG elements. It's enjoyable and has loads of content but it's so bland you might regret wasting your time with it.

Buy an actual good game instead.
>>
>>319516537
>bungie game on pc
>2015
>>
>>319511457
>Is this worth $60?

i paid $32 for it on black friday from the comfort of my couch

learn to frugal retard
>>
>>319511457
Didnt they give exlcusive OP items to peole for buying the game twice, or buying red bull or some shit?
>>
>>319516537
Literally never

>>319516618
>Halo clone
If it was a Halo clone it'd actually be decent.
>>
>>319514939
>so if you got a pc, even the most basic one, play a pc mmo and youll have a lot better time

This.

I was shocked at how I found an unfinished piece of shit like Firefall to be way more enjoyable than Destiny.
>>
>>319511457
My short answer is no. If you do not have friends, don't buy it. Really. They only other way I would recommend it is if you can grind and grind MMO style by yourself. If you can't handle that, then don't waste your time.
>>
I wonder how many times per day Kotick regrets trusting Bungie.
>>
>>319515423
no excuse
>>319515623
you're in denial and resorting to ad hominem to deflect
arguable points is the fact endgame at launch didnt even have the basic premise of matchmaking
>you're shooting shit!
you're playing an mmo, and aiming your pointer at an enemy and spamming a single click button makes it the most basic mmo ever created, with little interaction required for the players

you aren't dodging or reacting to getting shot, your extremely limited in the actual gameplay

>mmo's are trash!
you're playing an mmo, kid. the most child friendly mmo ever created, more simple and easier to access than world of warcraft.

at this point now, f2p mmos are better than destiny. destiny is probably the worst most rudimentary featureless mmo i have ever played, and ive played a lot of mmos.

i would recommend warframe over destiny and thats f2p , "shooting shit" , has better raids, more complexity , more content, and better gameplay
>>
>>319516953
> if you can grind and grind MMO style by yourself. If you can't handle that, then don't waste your time.
As someone who has been playing Destiny a long time, this gives you the wrong impression really. Normally grinding in an MMO is at least somewhat satisfying because it makes you feel stronger and lets you into the end game content. In Destiny there really is no satisfaction from having the 'good gear' because they're just the old green weapons just with a better rating, hell even the armor you use in TTK is just old DLC armor, except for the Kings Fall raid armor. Also there is no end game content in Destiny except for one raid which is super easy when your team doesn't suck. It's hard for to put in words because I'm autistic or something, but basically there's no reason to play grind because you're literally grinding for nothing.
>>
File: 1449609954264.jpg (32 KB, 360x479) Image search: [Google]
1449609954264.jpg
32 KB, 360x479
>>319517209
>and ive played a lot of mmos

Is this why you're like this? Why would you put yourself through that?
>>
>>319516213

>TTK is worse than vanilla

Nah

>>319516737

No, what you're probably thinking of is sparrows, shaders, or emblems, basically things of no consequence other than collectibility.
>>
>>319517370
i've enjoyed tons of mmos
and currently im playing ffxiv very casually off and on
i love it and everything about it and its devs are great

like i said already, i suggest warframe as a better alternative to destiny, you will get way more patches, way more content updates and massive game improvements with no money required for any of it. plus the dev team is awesome as fuck who do round table videos like every month discussing everything they are doing and improving

destiny as a paid 60$ every year platform is guaranteed failure, that whole gimmick of pay for dungeons is not going to sustain itself, and not enough people will buy destiny 2.0
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.