[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Undertale has sold 450k copies so far. He has made 3.15 after
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 11
Undertale has sold 450k copies so far.

He has made 3.15 after Steams cut and after taxes probably like 2.2m in pocket.

A with that little effort, he lives in his mothers basement.

Why haven't you tried to make a game?
>>
>Why haven't you tried to make a game?

I have. It turned out to be really hard.

I might try again.
>>
>>319506070
>little effort

Yeah, why aren't YOU a millionaire yet? After all, this game took like zero effort to make, it was the laziest, easiest piece of shit that anyone ever made. Surely YOU can do better in your sleep and also become a multi-millionaire, right?
>>
Seeing the runaway success of this gems inspired me to just do it. The quality is still good despite it being low budget.
I was always putting it off until I got "better" at doing things but then I realised that'll be never because i am never satisfied with my own ability anyway.
Spent the last few weeks working out the kinks, know where I'm going with it. Feels exciting actually.
>>
If making a game is so easy, why haven't you tried OP? I mean, certainly, if it's so easy to become a millionaire, you're one as well?
>>
Because I have no artistic skills, music skills, programming skills, really I have no idea how anything works and playing shitty video games is less daunting than learning everything required to make one.
>>
>>319506635
OP is Steam, he makes money when we make games for him
>>
>>319506484
>Yeah, why aren't YOU a millionaire yet?
Because crippling mental illness keeps me from doing much of anything.
>>
File: 1368226288707.jpg (22 KB, 600x564) Image search: [Google]
1368226288707.jpg
22 KB, 600x564
that shit makes me mad and i dont know why
>>
>>319506070
Because for every undertale there's also dozens of indie games with more budget/work put into them and tons less notoriety.
>>
>>319506835
That's because most indie devs are retards.

Their games weren't anime enough
>>
>>319506070
its really hard to make something that is both original and decent
>>
If I had a group of anons who actually took making games seriously then I would. I have a whole story and characters written out but alas, I can't code or program and wouldn't know where to begin plus I don't have many friends, actually 0 outside of my girlfriend and can't make a kickstarter with no real help.
>>
>>319507189
Undertale isn't even original.

>>319507242
I hope you can at least draw concept art to go with your ideas, otherwise you're just an ideas guy no one likes.
>>
>>319507346
to the main stream it is
>>
>>319507242
>If I had a group of anons who actually took making games seriously then I would
So you wouldn't. Everyone has ideas. Do you seriously think that anons with game development proficiency would pay you for being an "ideas guy"?
>>
>>319506723
>Because not having crippling mental illness keeps me from doing it

ftfy
>>
>>319507346
I have someone who can draw the characters and whatnot but that doesn't exactly mean they can model them or anything.
>>319507484
And this is why I don't come to 4chan for anything.
>>
>>319507242
Toby made Undertale almost solo.

The guy that made Dust made it solo.

Pixel made Cave Story solo.

What's your excuse?
>>
>>319507717
What does 4chan have to do with it? Nobody is going to pay you to daydream. Everyone has ideas. Some people have the will to actually develop and apply talent to make them a reality.
>>
>>319507843
And considering I've already written out a story arc with characters included I think that means I have a starting point but no real way to make it go anywhere.
>>
>>319507782
Cave Story was also originally free and Nicalis is currently kekking the fuck out of pixel in regards to distribution and translation of a game that's not even his.
>>
File: 1448242641893.png (32 KB, 514x352) Image search: [Google]
1448242641893.png
32 KB, 514x352
>>319507782
I just said I can't code or program and wouldn't know what software to use.
All I have is a story and characters.
>>
>>319507782
LISA was made solo, too.
>>
>>319507974
Yes, you do have a way to make it go somewhere, you just want someone else to do the work for you, which is why you will never see your designs come to life, and if they do, you will not be credited in any way.
>>
>>319508074
Yeah and it really shows
>>
>>319508063
You're not born knowing how to walk either, you stupid fuck. Fix your ignorance. Go out and learn things, then apply your new knowledge.
>>
>>319508132
Oh ok, thanks anon you have been nothing but an INSPIRING and MOTIVATIONAL speaker on behalf of this thread and my post. Really thank you.
>>
>>319508262
Lol I'm in uni to become a doctor dude, this isn't my life and I'm not going to take time out of my study schedule to learn something that may or may not benefit me. If I had a team I could pay or work with it would be different.
>>
>>319507242
I have like 0 friends outside of my bf and we decided to make a game together. He's doing the main programming because he has a background in C++/C# and I'm doing minor programming along with graphics/music because I have a background in animation.
Even if he wasn't working on it I'd just learn C++/C# myself anyway and just do it myself. You don't actually need anybody if you really want to do it.
>>
>>319508280
Inspiration can be found in anything, you just have to look hard enough. If you're not being a sarcastic shit, I wish you the best.
>>
>>319506070
I am making a game, actually. Programming and art, with another guy on the music

Alas, I don't expect it to come anywhere near this level of notoriety, because as >>319506835 pointed out, a lot of indie developers with a lot of talent don't get proper recognition. Think about all of the indie games that have made the news in the last 5 or so years. 90% of them either
>got popular via piggybacking off of giant and autistic fanbases - Undertale being the primary example but Freedom Planet did the same of the Sonic fanbase
>got popular through controversy - Hotline Miami series, but more importantly Fez and Phil Fish waving his ePenis around all the time
>had a development team with members of former, larger studios - Shovel Knight, Yooka Laylee, and so on - meaning they're leagues above 'basement indie' and already have some fame to go off of
There are examples of honest-to-goodness underdog success stories - as with games like Minecraft and some mobile games like Crossy Road - but for the most part, the industry has never worked like that. Even if somebody on /v/ made a game 'as good as' Undertale (not that I think that's saying much), it wouldn't come even close to the heights that Undertale has, because no doubt the game making it would be crap at generating hype or sucking tumblr's dick
>>
>>319508536
the guy* making it
>>
>>319508410
see
>>319508389
>>
>>319507717
>I have someone who can draw the characters
So you can't even draw? You can't program or compose music either, you are literally an idea guy?
I mean this in the nicest way possible but please go and learn even 1 of these things, practice a lot and get really good at it. Just having an idea will get you nowhere, you need a skill to make people want to work with you.
>>
Could Undertale have been made on an SNES in the 90s, largely the same? Certain bosses would probably have to be altered and the music would have to be completely MIDI, but still largely the same?
>>
>>319508748
Oh please. I work and am in college but still manage to work on this stuff in my spare time. Excuses and the "it might not benefit me" outlook is exactly why you will never make it.
>>
>>319508881
Relax, like I said I just had a story and character, it was never going to come to fruition and I'm already applying to med schools so my idea will never see the light of day.
>>
>>319506070
More like 1.9m. But yep. Pretty impressive.
>>
>>319509024
Ok.
I think my med degree is going to benefit me more than a silly 1 hit wonder video game and that's even assuming it was a 1 hit wonder.
>>
>>319508960
I really don't know much about programming or the limitations of the SNES, but I don't see why a game with alternate routes and decisions that permanently alter the game couldn't exist.

A quick online search notes that SNES cartridges can only hold just under 15MB of usable data. My Undertale installation reads 118MB.
>>
>>319509135
What the fuck does this have to do with your degree, why do you keep bringing this up?
Stop now, we're all tired of the conversation looping while you make excuses.
>>
>>319509135
We get it, you're busy. You can find time to make a game if you actually wanted to. You clearly don't want to make a game. There's nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>319509297
Ok.
You're the one getting frustrated not me. The thread began with why aren't you making video games, and I gave my response which in turn churned out other responses. That's the point of a conversation, either you're socially retarded or are getting mad over the internet about something outside of your control.
>>
File: 349085378.gif (2 MB, 471x262) Image search: [Google]
349085378.gif
2 MB, 471x262
I'm starting to learn to draw.
If I learned to draw, would I be able to make vidya?
>>
The best part of Undertale is the soundtrack. And that autist has talent in that regard, undoubtedly.
>>
another quality thread showing the degeneration of a conversation on /v/ great stuff guys keep it up
>>
File: file.png (7 KB, 256x240) Image search: [Google]
file.png
7 KB, 256x240
>>319508960
You could probably get it to work on the NES if you REALLY wanted to get creative with your restrictions. You'd have to wave good bye to the pulsing sprites and rotating effects, but you could probably get most of the game done rather accurately.

Come to think of it, I always thought Undertale's combat was somewhat inspired by the Saint Seiya game for the Famicom. You can avoid attacks, and some enemies even throw you in a stage as their attack. Flowey's theme is an exact copy from Flipull's main stage theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRLiTUvcflE
>>
>>319509468
I'm not even mad, I'm being honest. You kept saying m-much degree for absolutely no reason. Do you think you are the only person ITT doing one or something? Do you think making a game and college are ideas mutually exclusive to each other? You are implying that you cannot make a game due to reasons out of your control and other anons are pointing out that those reasons do not prohibit you from making one, you just don't want to make one.
If you can't handle me calling it like it is without calling me retarded then you need to take a long hard look at yourself and your way of thinking.
>>
>>319508960
More or less, yes. The resolution is a little different on the SNES. 256x240. Compared to 360x240. So the vertical spacing will have to be adjusted for almost all aspects of the game.

>>319509271
A large chunk of that is music. And gamemaker bloat.
>>
>>319509468
You're calling him socially retarded when you can't even stay on topic? Being busy doesn't mean you can't find time to make something. You simply don't want to make something, and that's okay, yet you find it necessary to elaborate on your personal life. Are you seriously so deprived of attention that you have to try and act superior on an anonymous image board?

Hell, if you're honestly too busy to make a game, you're way too busy to be wasting your time gloating on the Internet. I'm going to go ahead and confidently assume that you're full of shit.
>>
>>319509868
>A large chunk of that is music. And gamemaker bloat.
That's what I assume, though I wouldn't know how to figure out how much "game" data there is. No doubt the music could be redone to take up substantially less data.
>>
File: pepe.jpg (120 KB, 403x423) Image search: [Google]
pepe.jpg
120 KB, 403x423
>>319506070
>you must know coding
>you must create a game that you dont know how it will play out
>you must know complex programming to achieve different gameplay than other generic game by creating code that no one ever used or think of and may cause bug and unplayable mess if one string is wrong

yeah right..
>>
>>319506070

You don't know the depths of laziness I dwell in.
>>
>>319509868
Meant horizontal spacing. Not vertical.

>>319510069
I couldn't tell you how much the difference is really.
>>
>Another undertale thread
lol
>>
>>319510291
>(You)
>>
File: 9206.jpg (96 KB, 320x360) Image search: [Google]
9206.jpg
96 KB, 320x360
>>319509991
>>319509808
Ok as I've said I had an idea but it's just that. So while you both continue to feel the need to respond to me instead of just getting over the conversation and moving on then go right ahead but I've got things to do have a good life anons
>>
>>319506070
If I had something important to say I'd write a book or a screenplay
>>
I am trying but boob physics ain't easy.
>>
why?
because i have work.
i have payments to do and on my free time I spend it to sleep or play videogames, not everyone can live on their parent's basement and not worrying about money, not everyone has all the free time to make a game, some of us don't have that luck.

>inb4 u mad
a little bit maybe then again I rather not think about it
>>
>>319510575
Sure thing. Even when nothing else in your life does, /v/ will always give you a >>(You). But you already know that.

See you in a few hours.
>>
There's this whole implication that Toby Fox simply made Undertale and it became a surprise success when the path to Undertale's success is more accurately:

>Toby Fox makes music for Homestuck and becomes a prominent member of that community/fandom
>Toby puts out demo for Undertale and about a month later the kickstarter
>Homestucks shill the hell out of it
>Homestucks and other people that are just interested in the (admittedly, original) idea of an RPG game where it's possible to win without killing anyone fund the game well over it's stretch goals

So, the real lesson I've gotten from Undertale is I've got to become an established member of some fandom first.

Anyone know any good up & coming fandoms?
>>
>>319506070
I did, it was fine, nothing out of ordinary though.
>Pros:
OST
4th wall breaking, messing with game files was a nice touch.
Story although it was kinda forced sometimes.
The little things, OP pic related for example.

Cons:
It tries to go DEEPEST LORE way too much.
Battles can get boring, heart colors were fine, too bad they were only for boss battles, speaking of boss battles...
Boss battles you can't lose, that has a special place in my heart, and by that I mean I fucking hate, and it's not even one, you get THREE FUCKING BOSS BATTLES YOU CAN'T LOSE.
You get the biggest rewards for being a cunt, kinda defeats the purpose.
Hotlands, just, fucking hotlands
>>
File: 1422661053570.jpg (348 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1422661053570.jpg
348 KB, 900x900
Here's the one, and only, suggestion I have to make.

The game MUST be toaster friendly. Program your game on an old WinXP machine, and if that piece of shit can run it, anything can. There's a reason why the best selling PC games aren't graphics benchmarks.
>>
>>319511083
Fuck toasters. If you're so cheap that you're still using WinXP then you're not likely to buy my game either.
>>
>>319511012
I don't know about 'up and coming', but there's plenty of fanbases to choose from

Freedom Planet got pretty big by starting out in the Sonic fanbase. It really depends how much of your soul you're willing to sell - realistically, you'd maximise your potential profits by trying to worm your way into all of the big autismo fanbases, like My Little Pony, Steven Universe, Five Nights, and Minecraft, but is that something you really want to live with?

Zelda fanboyism is always pretty huge, and you wouldn't have to feel like such a shill for it. Everybody sucks Zelda's dick but it's spiralling the drain in terms of quality, if somebody made a Zelda-like with the charm of Link's Awakening and some brand-new mechanic like Majora's did, I don't doubt that'd be pretty big. As an example, of course
>>
>>319511083
>WinXP
Get 7, XP has no support, which mean you are getting shit.
>>
>>319506070
Because I'm not a Homosuck fan who will pander to the cult.
>>
>>319508536
links? website?
>>
I'm making a game and by the time I'm done I'll just use whatever controversy /v/'s shitting itself over to market it.

Because I'm sure when I'm done nobody will give a shit about censorship again.
>>
>>319509476
You could always make a VN with RenPy I guess.

Man, dev talk?

I'm trying to figure out how best to do RPG style equipment and items. How the heck should I create them and represent them in code? Associate effects to them so they do things when used?

No one fucking talks about that. You want to make a side scrolling mario rip off, sure there's tons of shit out there.

Getting a potion to heal when you click on it is simple. But I'm thinking along the lines of maybe a hundred items that do things when used or equipped. There's got to be a way to sanely organize and code them.
>>
File: 1446441789815.jpg (78 KB, 351x351) Image search: [Google]
1446441789815.jpg
78 KB, 351x351
Because my depression saps the motivation to do anything out of me. I want to do things but once I start I just space out and get fatigued to the point of crawling in bed and sleeping the rest of the day. I can't even play Vidya anymore.
>>
File: 1446357101910.jpg (53 KB, 599x489) Image search: [Google]
1446357101910.jpg
53 KB, 599x489
because I can draw, and spend literal days on art, concept and writing at a time, but have no motivation to learn coding. I'm planning on getting into the industry by helping out mediocre steam indie groups that i meet up with and draw for their games. which at the moment, isnt going well with my chronic depression.
>>
>>319511012
You forgot Toby making that popular Earthbound Halloween hack.
>>
>>319506070
>little effort
Three years of work on Undertale alone. At least 9 years of programming and game design experience (his first Earthbound ROMhack is from 2006), and at least 6 years of composing experience (Magalovania is from 2009).

So sure, if you start practising now you might be able to replicate Undertale by 2024.
>>
>>319516915
this

people don't understand how much work actually goes into game development, because they only focus on the immediate amount of time spent on the game itself. I'm working on a game, and it's coming along well after about a year, but that's bearing in mind that I had been spriting since I was about ten years old, playing/composing music for the last 5 years and spent 3+ years studying programming. That's to say nothing of the hours upon hours I spent making all kinds of absolutely awful "games" I made as a kid in The Games Factory and Game Maker, or the various mods and maps I've tinkered with on DOOM, Smash Bros Brawl, Mario, Zelda, Unreal Engine etc.

So, at 25 years old I've hypothetically been crafting these skills in my spare time and academically for 15 years. The consumer doesn't see any of that though, so it doesn't surprise me that people here would think Toby just shat out Undertale one day after laying on his ass for 20 years of living.

That being said I do think Undertale is shit, but I can appreciate the effort on the devs part
>>
>>319510575
So anon, whatst the game about?
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.