[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
look guys I know it's overhyped overated tumblr fodder,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 9
File: The-Last-of-Us-Remastered.jpg (89 KB, 640x394) Image search: [Google]
The-Last-of-Us-Remastered.jpg
89 KB, 640x394
look guys I know it's overhyped overated tumblr fodder, but is it actually shit or just decent?

I'm literally out of PS3 games to play and my mate has a copy
>>
It's ok for one playthrough
>>
>>319476013
This, I got it with my PS3, played it once and haven't touched it since, kinda like The Walking Dead and Life is Strange
>>
>>319475808

Why don't you play it and find out numb nuts
>>
>>319475808
It's actually better than I expected. Gunplay is a hell of a lot better than Uncharted. It's your standard AAA game fare but it does make some kind of effort to stray away from the norm from the time to time. Plus it's lengthy too, and idk if MP is still alive on PS3 but it was pretty fun while it lasted.
>>
>>319475808
I personally loved this game. Worth at least one play through for sure.
>>
Its Half life but with mushroom zombies. It gets a lot of hate on /v/ because it's exclusive and a lot of kiddies can't convince their mom to buy them a ps3.
>>
File: Jak Girls.jpg (78 KB, 720x600) Image search: [Google]
Jak Girls.jpg
78 KB, 720x600
So, is Naughty Dog going to make a new Jak and Daxter game or has that ship sailed? I mean Insomniac made the relatively serious resistance trilogy and two Ratchet and Clank games for PS3. Surely there is room for the serious and the cartoony.
>>
>>319475808
It's highly "cinematic". Your enjoyment would depend on how you react to that kind of game. I personally loathe it, but I can see that other people might enjoy the high production values.
>>
Its actually not bad and the characters are really good. I like uncharted better
>>
>>319475808

It's good-to-excellent depending on your taste and where you're at in the game. The stealth is simple but works well on higher difficulties. Shooting feels intense due to ammo scarcity. It's fun/challenging to try and take down everyone with melee to conserve resources, baiting opponents into traps. Downside is the underwhelming, overhyped AI which can be easy to bottleneck and trick depending on where you are. I lost count of the amount of times I solved a multi-opponent situation by throwing a brick to lure almost all of them into one area and then following up with a molotov.

Decent level design and pacing, even if the first chapter Summer drags on too long. Interesting set pieces. It's a muh cinematic game but does a good job of continually mixing up the locations and scenarios.

Solid human driving story with believable voice acting and script. /v/ shits on it because they're faggots, but in all its simplicity the writing/characters are a strength of the game and its one of the better examples how muh cinematic games can actually be good narratively.

Soundtrack is the best thing about the game, and the clickers.

Aside from some of the stretches that drag and a handful of rougher encounters I enjoyed my playthrough plenty. If you can play the PS4 build I'd advise doing that as the improved framerate goes a long way.
>>
>>319476013
this
>>
>>319476476
Jak and Daxter went to shit the second 2 was released eith an edgy try hard faggot remake for the protsgonist, a focus on guns rather than platforming, and a giant shitty sandbox mode that adds nothing to the game other than poorly controlled shitty racing missions.
>>
Its overrated for sure, but that shouldn't mean a God Damn thing when it comes to your personal enjoyment of the game.

I liked it, but I don't know you so I can't really give a good recommendation. If you like spooky zombies and decently heavy shooting and kind of shitty crafting and a decently emotional dark story then yea go for it. If you don't like those things play something else.
>>
>>319475808
It's great if you like pretty environments. Gameplay and story are pretty bland.

>>319476476
Neil Druckmann was told to make a prototype for a new Jak game and spent the time/money working on a TLOU pitch. I don't think it's happening anon.
>>
I like it a lot but you have to be a detail whore if you want to enjoy it, a lot of the charm is taking the time to look around and see stuff
>dat saga of ish
>still no ish DLC
>get lesbians instead

its a spooky game too which is cool
but I have difficulty suspending disbelief
>can find bullets and guns laying all over the place
>can't find a hunting knife anywhere
>no mushroom children
>no female scavengers
>>
>>319476496

I thought Heavy Rain was pretty meh tbqh
>>
>>319475808
I got bored about 9 hours in, dropped it, and have zero desire to pick it back up. If you can play it for free, at least give it a go.
>>
>>319476973
Well, it's not as "cinematic" as that, that's for sure.
>>
>>319476547

what about the DLC?

I'm not gonna waste 20 bucks and 6 hours to watch a couple of CGI girls make out if there isn't a decent gameplay experience to be had
>>
>>319476953
All of your points except your last one are valid.
Do you really think in a post-apocalyptic society fringe bandit groups are going to send women out to scavenge? Next to food and ammo women would be thr most protected asset any community would have. Sending a woman out to scavenge is like saying "have fun getting raped and murdered, and not necessairly in that order"
>>
>>319476547
Pretty much this guy. If this many people can agree before it turns into an argumentative shitfest, the game is worth at least looking at.
Just play the god damned game OP.
>>
File: Keira.jpg (589 KB, 1300x725) Image search: [Google]
Keira.jpg
589 KB, 1300x725
>>319476896
Shame
>>
>>319477153
DLC has a cool location(s) but it's not worth the money.
>>
>>319477291
not even a single woman? I don't believe it. I Want to shoot some women
>>
>>319477153

It's okay. /v/'s autism for muh lesbians muh sjw is irrelevant given the lesbian undertones are utterly harmless and otherwise believable and well written. It's like one of the few stories with homosexual relevance that is everything but pandering to sjw bullshit. It's very natural and sensible.

Problem is that the DLC is really pretty great at doing the whole story-through-gameplay thing, but a lot of that gameplay is simple and not particularly exciting. So while the main game has a heaps of intense encounters, and the DLC does too, a lot of the DLC is just kinda character building. It does this very well, but if you're not into the story it might get boring quickly.

They added in infected vs. survivor NPC encounters too, but they're more of a gimmick and if anything make getting through and cheesing even easier than the main game. Lure infected to humans with bricks. Wait until they pick each other off. Kill the straggles. Ellie is OP compared to Joel too.

I liked it, but I liked the story. I can see how someone who likes the horror and action of the main game might be a bit underwhelmed by simply getting insight into Ellie's past, even if it's well done. Probably overpriced, even if the production is high.
>>
Literally the only game out of 3 GAmes I own for ps3 that I beat

Made it worth the console purchase its pretty much that good, surprised you haven't played it, then again you are a /v/tard no offense
>>
The Last of Us is perfectly mediocre. Were it not for its marketing budget and bribes it would have received a 7/10 from most critics and been forgotten within a month. Far from a bad game, but it isn't good either.
>>
It's a AAA game, linear and cinematic.

One of the best linear and cinematic AAA games, but if you are looking for deep gameplay you might not enjoy it much.

It really depends on your tastes.
>>
>>319476013
I played it sixteen times. But that's mostly because I love the melee combat. Also I'm just a sucker for that style of dialog; it's like it was trying really hard to pace itself like a Cohen bros adaptation of a Mcarthy novel. It's that kind of minimalist, raw dialog where there's a good economy of words and characters don't really ramble on or speak "movie style", where everything is perfect, snappy, and stage-style timed. It's very "raw" in the way it's directed.

The multiplayer is still good whether or not you care about the actual game. Best online I've played in years.
>>
Its basically a more serious Resident Evil 4.
>>
>>319476445
Half Life is Doom, but shit.
>>
>>319475808
just fucking play it bitch, make an opinion by yourself and not what /v/ or any reviewer say
>>
>>319475808
It's decent for 1 playthrough just enjoy the shit ending
>>
It's a console exclusive, so even if it were good, I wouldn't call it good. By even playing it, you're lending legitimacy to console gaming.

Dismiss it as trash, attack claims that it's good, and try to stop people from giving it the time of day. If you don't, you're only doing harm to videogames a whole.
>>
>>319479625
Why you gotta shit a civil thread by false flagging, man?

I know you need replies but there's a lot of other threads that really deserve your commited shitposting, anon.
>>
File: baka.jpg (26 KB, 412x394) Image search: [Google]
baka.jpg
26 KB, 412x394
It's good. Play through it, do NG+ if you really feel like it and hit up the multiplayer because it's actually pretty great and still has people playing on PS3
>>
File: not valid.png (3 MB, 1593x867) Image search: [Google]
not valid.png
3 MB, 1593x867
Any PS3bros know a discount code I can use?
>>
>>319480245
False flagging? That doesn't help save videogames, anon. By even considering for a second that a console game is anything but shit, you're lowering the chances at any real, good game will ever be released again.
>>
>>319480989
Here's your reply. Have a good day, Anon, it looks like you need cheering up!
>>
File: 1409564105362.jpg (23 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1409564105362.jpg
23 KB, 640x480
Imagine Children of Men but replace infertility with mushroom zombies and ladders
Just play the multiplayer if you don't wanna be on the verge of falling asleep the entire time
>>
>>319475808
Copy your friend's save if you gonna do PS3. On everything but the highest difficult it's a decent game. On the highest difficulty it's genuinely one of the best games out there because you HAVE to take full advantage of every gameplay system offered to you. I am telling you to copy your friend's save because maybe then you don't have to unlock the highest difficulty (Survivor) by beating the game first. They made an AMAZING decision to have it unlocked from the beginning on PS4.

On other difficulties it's a good game, but nowhere near as amazing god tier as the reviews make it to be. You don't have to take as big an advantage of the gameplay systems so the gameplay feels bare bones. It's genuinely one of the best survivor horror experiences, but only on Survivor difficulty.

(Wait Survivor difficulty IS in the PS3 version, right? I have the game for PS3 but played Survivor on a friend's PS4 cuz another friend who's on the other side of the country has my copy of TLOU)
>>
File: lastofusgif1.gif (3 MB, 500x262) Image search: [Google]
lastofusgif1.gif
3 MB, 500x262
>>319475808
>overhyped overated tumblr fodder
wtf?
>>
>>319484036
>low quality tumblr gif
>can't form a rebuttal
>wtf?
solid bait, got me to respond
>>
>>319483121
Yeah Survivor is in the game. It's pretty much the difficulty that the E3 preview was on.

Grounded is what came with the DLC, and is on the PS4 version by default. It's harder that Survivor obviously, the AI is a bit better (because of the difficulty, but also a bit better on the PS4 in general because of tweaks), there's practically no supplies, barely any health packs, less checkpoints. My least favorite part is that the HUD is disabled, anyone who thinks it's "realistic" to hide the HUD is a fucking moron, because shit like healthbars is the only way to let you know how your character "feels" health-wise, same goes for when you're trying to switch to a different weapon - unless you have that memorized, it's fucking stupid - because in real life, you would KNOW what weapon you're trying to grab, it's not a blind fucking snatch, and it also disables the HUD for stealth/combat takedowns/Clicker stabs etc. - so you have no idea when you can do such things since unlike in the Uncharted games, the protag doesn't slightly move or anything to indicate that you can perform such a thing at the time.

Survivor is what the E3 demo was played on that hyped everyone, but Grounded is a bit better besides the fact that the HUD is gone and melee combat is kind of dumb since you die in like two punches from humans.
>>
>>319478409
>been forgotten within a month.

This will never not be funny to me. People who believe this are so blinded by their hate boner.
>>
It's alright

You get a 6/10 cover shooter with 6/10 stealth, 9/10 graphics, 10/10 sound design and music, and a 3/10 story.

Overall I'd give it a 6. It is as bland and average as possible. I mean you know as soon as you see the word 'zombie' that shit is going to be bland and shitty.
>>
>>319484780
Ohhhhhh. Nvm that's the difficulty I played on (cuz I remember there being no HUD). Wait so only Grounded has the AI tweaks? Shit I thought they fixed that on every difficulty on PS4.
>>
What exactly is tumblr about The Last of Us? A game where a straight white male basically murders the fuck out of everyone and just about every female and minority character is incompetent and dies?
>>
>>319485009
Well in general the PS4 has AI tweaks. They did quite a few things for the remaster. But I do know that Grounded does some things to them too, or maybe that's just for the PS3 version of Grounded.

I'm thinking that PS3 Grounded AI = PS4 AI All Difficulties - but I'm not 100%. That's probably the case though.
>>
>>319483121
Nah. My biggest gripe with the game is that Survivor only seems to be hard and have scarce ammo, but it's an illusion. If you actually run out of ammo, the game will give you ammo. Ellie will find it or enemies will start to drop it.

I still love the game, to be honest, but one of the biggest kicks in the dick was finding out that all the tension of being in tough situations with barely any resources and a pistol with only 3 bullets was basically faked. As soon as I shot those bullets, Ellie just magically found 6 shotgun shells and passed them to me. It getting rid of the listen mode was very good though.
>>
>>319475808
dont play it on the Triple
>>
>>319484986
>6/10 cover shooter

I agree with the stealth being completely meh because it follows that annoying trend of modern games where it's all just sight cone based and you don't have to worry about anything as long as you hit the button for STEALTH MODE, but if you're playing the game as a cover shooter, you're doing it completely wrong. Maybe you won't find the other style of play much better, but beating people to death with melee weapons after beaning them with a brick is the better way to play.
>>
>>319475808
I find the story to be gripping and the characters are good, but the AI is really suspect. It seems to flip between me being able to dance in front of them, or them finding me five rooms away.

Then when you are caught they funnel nicely into lines, you can barrel through the game if you keep your Molotov cocktails in stock. I tend to just reset the encounter when caught because shootouts aren't really fun. Of course you then run into the really fun glitches, like reloading but the AI hasn't reset to a state of not having detected you yet. I made it through on hard (normal is a joke) and probably won't go back.
>>
>>319485009
>>319485293
the remaster's ai is different from the ps3's ai, and ps3 grounded ai.

i think what anon meant by the grounded ai being different is their reaction times, because that's what changes in difficulty on the ps4.

the ps4 version has enemies line of sight and hearing improved, they try to flank you more, ambush you more etc. unlike in the ps3 version, if they have a melee weapon or no weapon at all, and you pull out a gun - they're going to run away. if they're close enough though they'll try to fight in hopes of beating your ass before you have time to pull the trigger. but if there's no "reactionary gap" they will run.

and the "time to react" is stealth shit. usually you're given a little leeway when they initially spot you, and you're given a second to hide before they fully "realize" you're there. this window of time gets shorter the higher the difficulty, where in grounded, if they catch a glimpse of you they won't "shrug it off" and pretend they didn't see you walk right in front of them, they'll attack.

basically, the ps4 version has the ai that the e3 demo had. they totally jipped people with the ps3 version, but at least the actual gameplay and difficulty makes an appearence in the remaster.
>>
>>319478909
>I played it sixteen times.
Stopped reading right there. You're extremely ill in the head.
>>
>>319485949
Well not back to back. Total. If you know the game, you can get through the whole thing with no deaths on Survivor. Haven't tried it on Grounded.
>>
>>319485938
That's what I meant babe. With that cleared, OP PLAY IT ON THE PS4 ON GROUNDED. Play online a bit to see what the HUD looks like, then start it. Playing games without HUDs ain't too bad. I have never played a Metro game on a low enough difficulty to see what the HUD looks like and it's fine in those games and it will be fine here.

>>319485446
>but it's an illusion. If you actually run out of ammo, the game will give you ammo. Ellie will find it or enemies will start to drop it.
Nigga this ain't Bioshock Infinite. Ellie finds the stuff, and the enemies were already meant to drop them to begin with.
>>
>>319486493
>Nigga this ain't Bioshock Infinite. Ellie finds the stuff, and the enemies were already meant to drop them to begin with.

No, it's the exact same shit. I've played through the game a lot and I can guarantee you that Ellie didn't just "find" 6 shotgun shells that I missed in that short burst of action in the sewers when you're with the two black guys before your groups get mixed up and split up.

That's when I noticed it. I was just shooting with abandon at that point because Ellie "finds" more ammo for you along with the drop rate of ammo being increased as you run out of supplies.

It's just an illusion of scarcity.
>>
>>319478920
>It's a more serious re4
Yes but also with, melee combat, stealth, crafting, character and weapon upgrades, online multiplayer, better controls, etc etc.
>>
>>319482332
>he doesn't understand the in universe context of why there would be ladders and planks everywhere in a zombie apocalypse world.
>>
>>319486493
yeah, grounded is practically perfect. you can't see how many rounds you have left either just like in the E3 video - you have to initiate the weapon switch thing to be shown how much ammo you have left. it just sucks that the melee prompts are gone, because there is no in-game indication as to when you can do so. you could be waiting around the corner with a guy approaching, hit a button to do the special stealth takedown, but it turns out they weren't close enough so you just throw a punch, give yourself away, miss, and get killed - or if you have that upgrade thing from the pills, and a clicker is on you and you have a shank, you never know when you're able to shank them to get away.
>>
File: 13c.gif (148 KB, 123x103) Image search: [Google]
13c.gif
148 KB, 123x103
>>319475808
People who complain about this being merely a movie haven't played it on max difficulty. If that's their complaint they shouldn't stick to normal.
It has the best character-progression type of story out of any game. if anyone greentexts this point, instead of just shitposting point out to a better example first, thakns.

The only point "people-who-have-watched-this-on-youtube" got right is that it lacks replayability. It's not something you want to go back to, but it's a wonderful 1st playthrough game, and a challanging one if you want it to be.

The multiplayers which isn't really talked about is also very good, not the standard third person shooter deadmatch.
>>
Remember, you can exploit the game to give you what you need. Leave yourself at low health long enough and Ellie will give you a medpack. Run around trying to fire an empty gun and she'll find you enough shells to put down a riot. Play like a madman and the game will think you're retarded and give you extra shit. Stealth is for pussy bitches.

Except for during Infected sections, you should sneak then.
>>
>>319487760
maybe if you're on the lower difficulties. this shit is practically nonexistant in the game on Survivor/Grounded other than the areas where you are stuck in a room and forced to fight enemies - like the gymnasium with the Bloater, or when Ellie first meets David. parts like that where there is nowhere else to go get ammo, and you're forced to kill enemies that can't be killed by melee the game will give you ammo so it's not literally impossible.

but everywhere else in the game, that shit doesn't fly
>>
It's shit. Drags on for too long. Crappy camera. Terrible dialog. An un-fun version of Uncharted.
>>
>>319488142
This is most pronounced to me on Survivor. I haven't tried it on Grounded. The most successful runs I've had on Survivor were with practically no stealth, just sprinting around beating men with Joel's fists of fury and using tons of ammo so that the game would give me more.
>>
>>319486909
I have never conveniently gotten ammo in the game on Grounded. Can anyone else confirm this?

>>319487434
You got me babe. And it's what OP should do.

>>319487128
TLOU is fucking great, but don't try to say it's better than RE4. RE4 is still amazing to play today because it does one thing really fucking well: encounter design. I wish more games did that where it's like "okay instead of just throwing more enemies here lets try to see how we can make this the most interesting."
>>
>>319475808

The Last of Us compared to Tumblr?

Fuck off.
>>
File: tlou last level 2.webm (3 MB, 320x213) Image search: [Google]
tlou last level 2.webm
3 MB, 320x213
The AI is still pretty shit on Grounded.
>>
Don't listen to all the duck heads it's a great game/ movie if you can't enjoy this you are dead inside
>>
>>319490204
>he doesn't shoot all 3 doctors
>>
get ready to be massively disappointed when joel blows what he thinks is literally the only chance to save all of humanity so he can play daddy for a couple of years. we measured it his bodycount, not accounting for the future, makes him roughly 121 hitlers
>>
>>319475808

This was okay for a first play through, but the mechanics are frustrating as hell. Trying to shoot at anything is pathetic as your'e constantly trying to fight the forced gun sway.

The second enemies spot you the entire map rushes to your location and your're fucked.

If you attempt to use any guns in this game you're fucked outside of sneaking up and stabbing / breaking people's necks or just avoiding zombies.

Attempted to play this a second time, but had flash backs to all the retarded ass things the game puts you through and I couldn't stand to put myself through it again with the slow ass and frustrating controls.
>>
>>319476013
i feel the same, but multiplayer is great. i have around 27 days worth of hours played
>>
>>319491334

>not this discussion again

dude seriously, stop thinking this was the *only* god damn thing that could have saved humanity.

>implying humanity is worth saving
>implying humanity is not worth saving
>implying someone else doesn't come along in the universe of this game to fix it 100 years from joel
>implying there's no cure and it doesn't matter

seriously fuck off
>>
>>319491220
I tried to make it slow by shooting out the doctors knee caps, but he just dies in 1 hit.
>>
>>319491715
actually, its literally canon that there is no cure.

that dosent change the fact that joel was under the impression that this was it.

see, if i tell you theres a button and if you press it, you get a cheeseburger, but 150 babies get burned to death, and you hammer the fucking button to see if you can get TWO cheeseburgers outta the deal, and he tells you "oh...uh...there were no babies"....that dosent make you a good guy suddenly.
>>
>>319492042
oh, and to top it off, if you killed the doctors? joel was under the impression that there was more immune people, ergo, other people who could be sacrificed. so if joel could find a person who was immune, but had less value then...oh, 7 billion lives or more, he could take them back and....oh...

right.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.