[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mario Paper Jam
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: Marioluigipaperjam.jpg (2 MB, 1863x1704) Image search: [Google]
Marioluigipaperjam.jpg
2 MB, 1863x1704
Give it to me straight, doc.

Is it fun?
>>
Is Luigi checking the dubs?
>>
I like it, but I'm new to the Mario and Luigi series so take my word with a grain of salt.
>>
ya
>>
>>319410209
only a few bland zones to explore pretty short ones too
paper enemies can get bullet spongey if you skip some
you can't pick a stat to increase further when leveling up, only perks are left
two petey piranha's because we obviously need more petey
Worst of all, peach talking about getting short hair

sticker star was more fun than this
>>
>>319410209
I'm 15 hours in. Don't want to bore you with long novels so here are the things that probably may interest you the most:

- boss battles are the best in the series (appropriate difficulty, creative attacks and ways to dodge them, there's something that makes them stand out for every one of them)
- sprinting in the overworld and pressing R to speed up cutscenes helps pacing a lot
- combat options (attacks and gear to choose from) have never been this plentiful
- bonus wheel upon levelling removed to put greater emphasis on rank up bonuses
- overworld locations are connected in many ways, but are fairly cookie-cutter
- Papercraft Battles are unfortunately inferior to Giant Battles

that's about it
>>
>>319410209
Reposting my first impressions from previous thread:

Eight hours into Paper Jam and it's pretty good. Yeah, the environments are from New Super Mario Bros and the townspeople in every town are all Toads, but is that really much of an issue? It feels like an rpg in the real Mushroom Kingdom from the main games rather than the bunch of random-yet-slightly-more-creative-looking places from PIT and BIS. For a single game, this is a nice change of pace, though I wouldn't want it to become the norm.

As for the areas themselves, their design is fantastic: each one is full of stuff you need later field moves to collect and they intersect each other in many different ways, it's almost a Metroidvania. For instance, I still haven't been given the ability to hammer Mario into the ground to collect beans so I already have something to go back to every place for.

The story beats are similar to the first Paper Mario. Each area is like a chapter from that game and you face off against the Bowsers' minions (be it the Kameks, the Juniors or the Koopalings, but you also meet the Bowsers themselves) throughout and at the end of each one, then you get cutscenes showing the situation at Bowser's Castle with the princesses/the bad guys.

They streamlined this compared to Dream Team a lot. 99% of tutorials are optional (you only get a forced one for cards which is understandable since it's an entirely new system, contrast with DT which gave you one about badges twice despite them being the same as BIS) and it's a generally faster game. You don't spend three hours traversing a single area, at least at the beginning. One thing that got worse are the Papercraft Battles though, they're just less fun than the Giant Battles even though they're at least more interactive and less cutscene-driven.
>>
dreamteam > bowser inside > time > paperjam > superstar
>>
File: 1366544631012.png (197 KB, 294x256) Image search: [Google]
1366544631012.png
197 KB, 294x256
>>319413530
>your opinions
>>
>>319411652
>boss battles are the best in the series (appropriate difficulty, creative attacks and ways to dodge them, there's something that makes them stand out for every one of them)

>vs Wendy and Roy, attacks are easy enough to dodge
>I focus on Wendy and take her out first
>Roy gets pissed off
>he takes out a wand and summons a screen-wide magic sphere
>I'm caught off-guard, Mario is hit for more than his full HP
>1-up shroom
>Roy does it again, this time I'm prepared
>I send it back, Roy takes 175 damage and is finished off

That thing was overkill on both sides.
>>
excellent game
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.