[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you feel about open world games? http://strawpoll.me/6210894
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 1445893687014.png (81 KB, 278x260) Image search: [Google]
1445893687014.png
81 KB, 278x260
How do you feel about open world games?

http://strawpoll.me/6210894
>>
>>319408078
Wow already "don't like them" has taken the lead
>>
>>319408078
I think they're good, just because some have been done poorly [Skyrim] doesn't invalidate the entire design choice.

Even so, when I find a AAA game is coming out and is "open world", it's usually a warning sign.
>>
>>319408078
I think it depends on the game because games like oblivion or just cause lend themselves to open world games. It's when things like mgs and the witcher go open world after all the previous games being linear that it's shit
>>
>>319408304
You're right but I think that the more time put into one linear area rather than an open world will always make a higher quality game
>>
I like them, but I hate the recent trend of people treating linearity as a flaw.

Not every fucking game needs an open world. Some games are better for being directed experiences.
>>
its the next logical step in turning a good game series into garbage. or worse making it into (game) online with a cash shop.
>>
It's kinda like the new CoD in a sense, the concept is fine and I'm glad more devs are exploring it but plenty of them will be shit
>>
Open World games only work if your genre is pure gameplay.
This is why the GTA games, MGS 5, Minecraft, Red Dead Redemption, Just Cause and a lot of driving games work.

The second your game becomes about exploring areas to look for side-quests and interesting and exciting loot, if you're going Open World at the same time, your game is 99,9% likely to be shit. The reason why this is the case is because you're building a gigantic fucking enormous map with yards upon yards, and you expect us to look around every small cache for a unique interesting weapon and every house for an interesting character with a mission for you, when we all know very well that the actual content of worth is maybe 5% of your 10000000 yard sized map.
This is why Dragon's Dogma, Dead Island, Dying Light, The Witcher 3 and every fucking Elder Scrolls or Fallout game past 2 is boring beyond belief.

Ubisoft found an interesting approach to make it possible to work, you do some tasks (often involving you climbing some high structure and looking around) and then you get every point of interest on your map. This makes the map big while also not requiring you to explore every fucking inch for the stuff of interest.
Most of these games are still boring (The Assassin's Creed series, Watchdogs) but some of them actually do manage to be fun despite being open-world with this system (Far Cry 3 and 4)

TL;DR: Don't make me go look through every inch of your gigantic map to look for the actual stuff in your game worth giving a shit about. Fuck you Bethesda and fuck you CDProjekt for ruining The Witcher series.
>>
The only company that seems to put any effort into making a good open world is Bethesda and Obsidian.
>>
>>319408078
They're rarely if ever done well.

Hand crafted ones can look nice, but any larger than a few miles from end to end and it just starts to become a lot of empty space. Not even any enemy encounters or whatever, just some dirt and rocks. Even with a small open space, a lot of the content ends up being very monotonous.

Randomly generated open worlds can end up with some cool (albeit plain looking) environments, it's all up to the rest of the game's content and gameplay to make it interesting. Few have genuinely interesting things to do, however, and it usually just boils down to barely entertaining combat. This goes for both open world games like Minecraft/Terraria (which also have the plus of building mostly pointless shit out of blocks) and randomly generated dungeon crawlers like Rogue and Diablo.

Most recently, Fallout 4. The inner city area with the many large buildings is really good, and the rest of the area is varied enough in terrain that fights there is neat, too. Fighting stuff is pretty fun with the not too shit shooting mechanics when you end up with a multi-way fight between several factions.
Also Metal Gear Solid V. The environments, despite being very simple, are pretty good when it comes to navigating and making use of the spaces between outposts (simply because it is a shooting game where you can make shots from several hundred meters). It's a shame that there aren't more robust patrols that roam between outposts and that soldiers aren't more aggressive in chasing you outside of outposts.

Thinking about it, open world is usually okay when you have guns, systems that benefit from stealth and scavenging. That empty space is utilized for the range you can have battles over and generic things to find. If it's some sword and sorcery where everything is toe-to-toe with short ranged weapons and the only thing to get in the empty space is picking flowers that are more easily acquired at the apothecary, just condense that shit.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.