[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why hasn't there been a system that lets you have multiple
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
File: PS5.jpg (20 KB, 364x404) Image search: [Google]
PS5.jpg
20 KB, 364x404
Why hasn't there been a system that lets you have multiple disks in at once?
>Switch between different games without having to take them out of the case and swap
>able to play multi disk games without intermission
>???
>profit
The only downside would be the size, but it wouldn't be that much bigger considering the Xbox original and first PS3s were already hulking masses.
>>
>>319374912
>able to play multi disk games without intermission

It's better they came up with higher capacity discs in the same form factor.

you fucking idiot
>>
>>319374912
With bluray there really isn't a need for multidisc but how far sdcards have come a cartridge based home console would be neat
>>
>>319374912
Er that why I have digital games....
>>
>>319374912
>Why hasn't there been a system that lets you have multiple disks in at once?
Because all that shit would be mechanical. Mechanical devices cost more to assemble and they don't really get much cheaper over the market lifespan of the unit, which leads to a stagnant adoption rate. It's a shit idea.
>>
>>319375025
>>319375092

Moreover, the internet and HDD/SSD defeat these purposes entirely.
>>
>>319375092
This.
If it was cheaper to make than blurays it would happen.
>>
>>319375025
>>319375092
>ignoring OP's first green text just so you can shit on his second one

could you be any more of a tool?
>>
File: smugula.jpg (41 KB, 324x394) Image search: [Google]
smugula.jpg
41 KB, 324x394
>>319374912
Wow gramps you're really on to something.
But what if you didn't need a disk to play a video game at all?
>>
Consoles are already usually sold on a loss, what you are proposing is an expensive as fuck unnecessary addition for what amounts to fixing a non-existent issue that'll only help the very laziest.
>>
>>319374912
Because then they'd need to make the console much larger, making the console more expensive to make and increasing the number of moving parts that can fail.

Plus they would just further enable lazy lardbags like yourself to never stand on their own two feet and further contribute to the obesity epidemic of your shitty country.
>>
>>319374912
How about consoles die? Then you can easily switch between all your games on pc.
>>
I've also entertained the idea for multi disc games before, but they're too rare to justify it and it only becomes a problem when the game is badly designed and requires you to swap back and forth like Mass Effect 3.
>>
>>319375387
>LE HARDCORE GAMER BUNDLE
>NOW YOU DONT HAVE TO STOP PLAYING!
>SWAP BETWEEN COD, HALO, AND BATTLEFIELD FROM THE COMFORT OF YOUR COUCH!

It would fucking sell and you all know it.
>>
>>319374912
probably because the added cost of the disc changer wouldn't be worth it to 99% of the consumer base that's okay with standing up for five seconds

also we have hard drives now
>>
>>319375283
Ok that is pretty cool but how about a multicartridge system?
>>
>>319375569
digital is a much more viable option, especially when consoles install their games to the hdd anyway.
>>
>>319375569
Or they could just buy digital and forgo the need for discs entirely.
>>
Did I get baited or all these anons really for digital? What happened to /v/?
>>
>>319374912
>Digital era
>wanting this shit
>>
Its call going digital and using a hard drive you filthy sub human ape
>>
>>319375938
dicksuckers and marketers
>>
>>319374912

The 360 really could have used this last-gen.
>>
>>319375938

/v/ is full of people who don't read the TOS, or people in straight-up denial about digital rights.

Where did they come from? You know where.
>>
>>319375938
I never represented a preference for either, just provided arguments to your proposition. Isn't that what you wanted? Actual discussion? Or did you just want everyone to suck your virtual cock or something, you little faggot?
>>
>>319375957
I don't really want it, I was just thinking of how I used to have a 5-disk CD player and how I've never seen a console with anything like it.
It was more of a dumb what if than a serious question.
>>
Why don't they just put the data on cubes so it can read it from 6 different sides at once?
>>
>>319374912
The added cost and mechanical complexity isn't worth the minor extra convenience.
>>
File: gamecom.jpg (185 KB, 640x365) Image search: [Google]
gamecom.jpg
185 KB, 640x365
>>
>>319375283
So how fucking lazy are you? If you want to pull that shit, then get everything digitally, you massive (literally and figuratively), lazy faggot
>>
>>319376252
Why not put the data on spheres so it can read from infinite sides at once?
>>
>>319375714
they wouldnt even need to get off of their fat asses to go to the door and pick up the game that got delivered.

literally just sit in the couch all day being fat and useless.
>>
>>319375714
>MUH DIGITAL
>most consoles have less than 150Gb of HDD space
LOL
>>
As shitty as people think it was, Gamecube's disc design was pretty fucking decent. This could've totally worked.
>>
File: hd103ui1024.jpg (102 KB, 1024x798) Image search: [Google]
hd103ui1024.jpg
102 KB, 1024x798
>>319374912
How about 1 disk with as many games as you wanted on it
>>
>>319375938
Blame reddit.
>>
>>319376989
But youll run out of space eventually, then what? get another and swap it in and out when you want to play games on the other hard drive? My console could have 5 hard-drives that can swap in and out at once.
>>
where can I buy pic related op? I'm going to need one to play ff7 remake
>>
>>319374912
You do realize the issue here not disk space but ram right?
>>
>>319374912
and have your xbox shred $300 worth of games instead of $60?
>>
We live in an age where Blueray exist for that and for the PC, we could just download game off the net.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.