[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What makes a game casual? Why does being casual make a game bad?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
File: Harry.jpg (18 KB, 288x320) Image search: [Google]
Harry.jpg
18 KB, 288x320
What makes a game casual?

Why does being casual make a game bad?
>>
if you want to know if a game is casual, you need to ask me

if I don't like it, then it's casual and other things
>>
Casual games have low barrier of entry combined with little to no skill ceiling.
>>
>>319374894
I fucked up, I meant that they have a very low skill ceiling instead of not having one.
>>
>>319375000
fucking keyboard casual
>>
casual is whatever i dont like
>>
File: 1334035149318.jpg (26 KB, 678x560) Image search: [Google]
1334035149318.jpg
26 KB, 678x560
There's nothing wrong with casual games.

The problem is when an established series trends towards more casual tendencies to attract a larger audience, a move motivated purly by the developer's management/marketing team.
>>
>>319375627
which is a good thing though, it is like how fallout got progressively better on every entry, same with elder scrolls.

The more streamlined the game is, the better it is. No need to input stats and allocate effects and crap, only needs simple perks to make the perfect game like Fallout.
>>
File: 1447733189060.png (46 KB, 185x182) Image search: [Google]
1447733189060.png
46 KB, 185x182
>>319375783
>>
>>319374639
>What makes a game casual?
If Harry Kim could beat it
>>
>>319375783
You fail as a person who enjoys video games.
>>
File: dex smells the roses.jpg (409 KB, 750x500) Image search: [Google]
dex smells the roses.jpg
409 KB, 750x500
>>319375783
don't reply to my post with bait you little fuck or the butcher bay bandit is gonna get you
>>
>>319374639
>Why does being casual make a game bad?
Because casualized video games result in an industry crash. Look at the one in the 80s, caused by everyone being able to pump out casual shovelware. It's a simple supply-demand curve: supply was so huge that the market value of games crashed hard and most developers went out of business because they wouldn't make money. If more games are casualized it just makes it easier to make games, which floods the market with shit and lowers the value for everyone. Look at the average AAA studio: in spite of having corporate backing and millions of sales, developers are treated like sweatshop workers because all the budget goes into marketing and management; they know the casual consumer won't give a fuck how good the game actually is if marketing feeds it to them. Gaming is best as a niche hobby industry because those are the conditions that allow both the consumers to enjoy the hobby and the developers to prosper.
>>
>>319375874
>>319375937
>>319376003

Really complicated stat games like Dark Souls 2 and Morrowind takes you out of the game and requires advanced programming skills to even play properly. With the new streamlined gaming philosophy of having all that boring stat crap taken out and replaced with perks it allows you to actually immerse yourself and game like videogames are supposed to be.

When videogames have chores like most "hardcore" games, it takes you out of the experience and makes it a programming simulator rather than a videogame.
>>
File: url.jpg (981 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
981 KB, 1600x900
>>319376437
>>
>>319374639
What is the Harry Kim of video games?
>>
>>319377947
Remember Me.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.