[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Guacamelee
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 11
File: guacamelee.jpg (326 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
guacamelee.jpg
326 KB, 1920x1080
Well, here's a game that flew right under my radar. I didn't even know what it was until I heard the protagonist was going to be in Indivisible.

So how bout it, V? Is this worth picking up?
>>
It's fairly good, don't trust anyone who resorts to >meme game comments.
>>
It's a solid game with a fun and consistent art style. It lays out references a bit heavy at times, but more often it's a fun diversion if you're paying attention. Solid beat 'em up, tight controls, good music. Very worth your time.
>>
Good game with too much memes.
>>
get ready for some tight combos and heavy platforming because you're in for a nice ride.
PC version has some cool costume mods like Bayonetta or The Heavy
>>
It's pretty damn good. People will bitch and call is Guacamaymay, but outside of the dank meme town it's not that bad.
>>
>>319370554
Its actually really good.
>>
>>319370554
A game filled with literal memes. But it's pretty good despite that. Bonus points for Mexican culture.
>>
File: strong-bad.jpg (72 KB, 960x544) Image search: [Google]
strong-bad.jpg
72 KB, 960x544
Great game with too many memes to make it easy for people to shit on. That said, for every cringeworthy reference there's two that I like, I can't stay mad at a game featuring memeing luchadores when it has a Strong Bad poster in it.
>>
>hub town is packed with references to a bunch of shit including movies, games and internet memes
>/v/ loses it and pretend the entire game is a meme-fest
Oh man I just can't enjoy this game because it has the ikea monkey on a poster, what a fucking pile of shit.
>>
>>319371493

Didn't they patch the meme billboards out?
>>
>>319370554
It's kind of like Mexican Metroid with bodyslams replacing super missiles, and its a game that is really good about teaching you how to play it. New moves come at a great pace, and you consistently use everything that you've learned as you advance further. The platforming is decent, and the combat is unique enough to feel fresh, even if most fights are more like puzzles rather than arenas where you show off your skills and reflexes. Make sure you get the Super Ultra Turbo Edition with all the bonus content. The challenge maps are fun as fuck, and the extra costumes give some replay-ability.
>>
>>319371716

That's a reference, not a meme.
>>
>>319370554
yes, it's metroid with fists, just ignore the memes and enjoy the metroid goodness until shadow complex 2 comes out. fingers crossed.
>>
>>319370554
it's very racist towards mexicans.
>>
>>319370554
Get the turbo championship whatever edition, but get it on steam for the workshop
>>
i really enjoyed it

it's fucking gorgeous, the gameplay is satisfying and enjoyable with all the different long combos you can string together, you get a ton of mobility by the end of it and can just shoot all over the place like a metroid game, it's pretty sweet

it was $1.50 in the last steam sale which is a fuckig ridiculous steal, one of the best deals on steam

my first playthrough was about 8 hours, there's a hardmode and NG+ and a whole bunch of secrets and trials and challenges to do
>>
>>319372040
the game is not shy about the metroid influence, that's for damn sure.
>>
File: 2015-11-28_00004.jpg (194 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-28_00004.jpg
194 KB, 1366x768
>>319372338
what do you mean?
>>
>>319372307
half way through the game I got prince of Persia sot vibes because iIwas stringing toghether combos and power moves like it was second nature, like sot and acrobatic moves while doing on the fly traversal.
>>
>>319372338
>>319372408
It's basically the best Metroid game to come out this decade.
>>
>>319372408
kek
they even have the other statue as well where it's the dude awkwardly laying down with a power up on his stomach, I'm surprised they didn't get sued, nod is one thing...
>>
just a note about the metroid influence, it's not quite metroid.

it's much more focused on combat than exploration. areas are big complicated dungeons where you beat the hell out of stuff with mild puzzle solving. you won't ever get the metroid moment of "shit, where do i go now". which is fine. it's its own thing. however, there's a LOT of "i can't open this color door yet, better come back when i can for mad secretz"
>>
>>319372593
you mean shadow comp-
>released in 2009
damn, has it really been that long...
>>
It's one of my favorite games anymore, I actually bothered to get all the steam achievements for it, and that's AFTER completing it twice over on the Wii U, since a friend gave me a code for it.
PC version is definitely the one to get because mods and because co-op with up to four people.
Not that you're really going to find three other people to huddle around a computer with, but it's there.
>>
>>319370554
LITERAL MEME GAME

Does also nothing new, unless you played no other Metroidvania up until this point
>>
>>319370554
Is pretty good as long as you are not an aspie who cries at the sight of memes and references. Make sure to get the version with the long ass name.
>>
File: maxresdefault (10).jpg (50 KB, 600x803) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (10).jpg
50 KB, 600x803
I was kind of hoping there would be more pro wrestling / Lucha Libre references, moves, gameplay mechanics and terminology in it but that's my fault, not the games fault.
I still enjoyed it immensely for what it it.

It just really fucking bothers me that he starts off with a championship belt. Would have been cooler if he got it from a boss
>>
>>319372040
>>319372193
There's a Samus skin available too
>>
File: 1418165763218.jpg (110 KB, 460x819) Image search: [Google]
1418165763218.jpg
110 KB, 460x819
So let me get this straight /v/:

>Borderlands 2
>A fun wacky, colourful action with tons of content, re-playability and co-op
>shat on because of memes

>Guacamelee
>A fun wacky, colourful action with tons of content, re-playability and co-op
>praised DESPITE memes

At worst I can agree that a good chunk of the BL2 cast is influenced by Burch's "progressive" ideologies despite still having solid characters like Tiny Tina, Moxxi and Handsome Jack. The worst complaint is that BL2 has some fucked loot tables, yet the game is consistently hated here?

No really, what the fuck?
>>
The problem with Guacamelee is most of the boss fights aren't very good.
>>
>>319370554
Its a metroidvania with luchadors. Fuck yeah.
But seriously, I've played like half of it and I can heartily recommend it.
>>
Yes! Though i got it with PS+ i had tons of fun with it, also Jaguar Javier is literally one of the best boss fights i have seen in years. I wasn't expecting to like this game so much.

Oh i almost forgot, it has fucking elder god tier OST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2AOBePM4Ck
>>
File: 1387531883109.jpg (9 KB, 184x216) Image search: [Google]
1387531883109.jpg
9 KB, 184x216
>>319376926
Simple.
I didn't enjoy playing Borderlands 2.
I enjoyed playing Guacamelee.
>>
>>319376926
We shit on it for way more reasons than just memes, like the writer that didn't play the original game, just looked up the plot on wikipedia, the god-awful health and damage scaling in harder difficulties, the fact that you NEED to build a character a certain way if you want to get anywhere, the list goes on.
Memes are the poop-icing on the turd cake.

Guacamelee has far more going for it compared to Borderlands 2.
>>
>>319377905
You shit on it because you really don't like one faggot who worked on the game and that's it. It's all there is to it, it's all it takes here.
>>
>>319376087
I haven't seen it in the XBOne version, is a PC mod?
>>
>>319376926
>Borderlands 2
>fun
What.
>>
>>319378094
I don't like it because it's NOT A WELL MADE GAME.
I've played it a fair bit, but that was at the behest of friends, and for the fun of going "wow this writing is garbage."
There is no ONE FACTOR that makes people dislike the game. Memes alone aren't going to stop anyone with sense from liking it, it's the pure bad game design and horrible story that will.
>>
File: 1420756050719.png (209 KB, 510x341) Image search: [Google]
1420756050719.png
209 KB, 510x341
>>319377905

>like the writer that didn't play the original game

The retcons made in Borderlands 2 for a setting that didn't take itself too seriously were fine and were usually done to introduce something interesting. Hell, the very first one was in the beginning of the game as it mocked how disappointing the final vault was. Borderlands lore isn't stringent enough to detract from the game.

>the god-awful health and damage scaling in harder difficulties

Its actually weird. Its okay in the first run, then worse in the second/third but actually balances out later on. Not that you're not right but its nowhere near as awful as you claim it is.

>the fact that you NEED to build a character a certain way if you want to get anywhere

Each character has atleast 2 viable builds. There will always be that one cookie-cutter build which fucks everything up, its the nature of a RPG system combined with a action game.

>the list goes on. Guacamelee has far more going for it compared to Borderlands 2.

Impressive how everyone points out BL2's flaws but not it's strengths. Tons of enemy variety with unique animations and attack patterns, lods e guns, good pc port, great artstyle, large words that encourage exploration, quests that always push you to get that one extra thing, a story that gets better as it goes on, 4-player coop and splitscreen and one hell of a satisfying ending that encourages NewGame+ runs.

Instead of everyone on this board acknowledging the game's problems AND strengths, its like we all want to pretend that it was a piece of shit. It wasn't, so seeing this thread suck Guacamelee's dick and downplay the memes is just retarded hypocrisy to me.
>>
File: image.jpg (43 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43 KB, 500x375
>>319370554
How I wish these characters could be in smash.
Their move set is already tuned to smashed layout!
>>
>>319378869
Or you could fuck off because we're not discussing Borderlands, we're discussing guacamelee
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 254x197) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 254x197
>>319378869
Go to bed Burch.
>>
File: 1418350823512.jpg (149 KB, 530x600) Image search: [Google]
1418350823512.jpg
149 KB, 530x600
>>319379068

You never had to reply, anon. I already explained why the connection was made to the thread.
>>
>>319379047
It surprised me just how smash-like the moves are in the game, it's got an upward recovery move, a slow neutral attack, a fast side move, and a downward slam that only works in the air.

The game even has air dodges that work pretty much just like Smash Bros'
>>
>>319376926
Borderlands goes on for way too long and gets boring
>>
File: image.png (25 KB, 130x235) Image search: [Google]
image.png
25 KB, 130x235
>>319379353
If there was any justice they would make it in because Sakurai had fun with the game.
>>
>>319379582
I just want more games with mid-air grappling and throwing enemies.
>>
>>319371716
How is Strong Bad funny?
>>
>>319370554
there are worse ways to kill a few hours.
>>
>>319376926
Guacamele has tight controls, great level design, challenging but rewarding gameplay, a sense of progression and impact in the game world, and the only real downside is a carboard story and some bullshit enemy types in the late game.

Borderlands is kind of clunky, level design is sometimes pretty bland, the gameplay gets repetitive and restricts your options as the game goes on, especially if you play single player without DLC. The loot mechanic, the game's selling point, is really lackluster, with 99% of your finds being trash, and the remaining loot getting outscalled by the next area. Bossess are tough simply because of their ridiculous health pools and ability to regenerate, rather than having interesting moves or strategies. The game comes down to maximizing DPS rather than creatively using your skills and utility abilities way too often.

Borderlands 2 wanted the Call of Duty market, and made a game that's fun with Co-Op, filled with jokes that a group of people can laugh at, and balanced the game around there being four sources of damage and plenty of allies to come save your ass when you fall. It isn't nearly as good when playing solo, and a huge portion of the best content is hidden behind DLC and paywalls. It is fun in short bursts with friends, but that's true of too many things. It doesn't stand-up so well as a single player game.
>>
>>319380742
>bullshit enemy types in the late game
But anon, chupacabras are the worst enemies in the game, and they only show up a little of the way through it.
>>
>>319376926
>praised DESPITE memes

You were clearly not here back when it was a timed Playstation exclusive

Guacamelee threads were full of shit posting completely filled with lies and shitting on the game over the memes that only filled up 1 screen in the entire game.

It isn't until now when the game has been released in multiple platforms and has been a part of multiple steam sales that people are starting to give it a chance.

It also helps that the devs have stated they regret going over board on the memes in the town stage as their inclusion practically ruled all of the game's discussion rather than the game itself. Gearbox proudly stands by their shit writing and continues to insult players for not agreeing with it
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.