[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Everybody I talk to loves Nintendo sagas: Zelda, Mario, Metroid,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: 1449128053053.gif (182 KB, 226x224) Image search: [Google]
1449128053053.gif
182 KB, 226x224
Everybody I talk to loves Nintendo sagas: Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Smash and such, I try to understand why they love them so much but when I try them I...I just don't feel anything, I won't say their games are bad of generic...just...they just don't ignite any kind of feeling or fun in me when games for other platforms do that just fine...

Am I doing something wrong, /v/?
>>
It's because they were raised on the franchises as very young children, and are reliving their childhood through nostalgia. Such people have always existed in some capacity.

Think of all the disney fanatics who are apeshit over mickey mouse, for no reason other than him being the disney mascot.
>>
Taste is like assholes. Everyone has theirs.
>>
I could say the same for FF7 but I played it growing up like a lot of us did.
>>
>>319344802
youre just not into it, its not a big deal, you are can dislike things your friends like and like things your friends dislike, it wont be the end of the world
>>
it's nostalgia

I feel this way about a lot of early playstation games, because I didn't grow up with them
>>
>>319344802
Because you apparently lack empathy
>>
>>319345454
>>319345536

But I actually like new games without feeling any nostalgia for them.
>>
>>319344802
Nintendo 64 was insanely popular in america.
>>
It's not just nostalgia. Sure, it plays a big hole on it, but it's the fact they grew up playing those games. It's not about "reliving childhoods" as much as it's what defined their tastes. PC gamers that always played on PC will always play PC games. Sony gamers that grew up playing PlayStation games will always prefer Sony games. And so on.

I grew up on Nintendo, and I can't enjoy other games as much as I enjoy their games. I'm just used to them. That doesn't mean I don't play them though, but I still look for similar things which I enjoy on Nintendo games when I'm looking for a game that's in other platform.
>>
>>319345783
i dont think you know what nostalgia means. you dont feel nostalgia for new games, you feel nostalgia for things from the distant past that made you happy
>>
Smash's appeal is based entirely off nostalgia, unless you're crazy enough to become a melee tourneyfag.

For the others you're probably just playing the wrong games.
>>
>>319344802
I had a preference for more "edgy" games, with "cool" settings and the like before. So when my friends recommended smash and mario and Zelda I wasn't into it. However, once I started playing them I appreciated the gameplay aspect of them a lot, and grew to love Zelda especially which was more compatible to my dark and edgy tastes.
>>
>>319344802
I feel pretty similar because most of their games are way too easy. I think the only Nintendo series I still play from my childhood is Fire Emblem.
>>
File: 1391990653441.jpg (50 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1391990653441.jpg
50 KB, 1280x720
>>319344802
Its not fucking rocket science. They grew up while playing those games so they have a connection to them.

You grew up with other kind of games so you have connection to those instead. You can still like the games they feel fondly about, but its impossible for you to feel nostalgia for them since they werent part of your childhood.

Are you an actual retard for not getting this right away?
>>
Nintendo's unique approach to game design is an acquired taste, it has more to do with that than nostalgia.
>>
>>319346004

That is what I was trying to say, that nostalgia can't be the problem if I can enjoy new games, they said it was because I had to have nostalgia for those Nintendo sagas to like them.

I guess it is just a taste issue, but while liking some Nintendo franchises, most of them just don't ring my bell.
>>
>>319345938
>It's not just nostalgia.
>it's the fact they grew up playing those games
You are dumb, anon.
>>
>>319345938

I never had a PC while growing up that could play games well.

Now I love PC games.
>>
>>319344802
You're just talking to man children and Americans dude normal people and kids nowadays all they know is the memes
>>
>>319346352
I doubt you like the old, traditional PC games. You just play the multiplats on PC.
>>
>>319346251
>they said it was because I had to have nostalgia for those Nintendo sagas to like them.

they're wrong. it's not a matter of nostalgia. it's an acquired taste for the way that Nintendo designs their games.
>>
>>319346653

Is that so?
>>
>>319346064
>melee tourneyfag.
That's when Smash actually gets fun though.
>>
>>319345454
We don't take kindly to reasonable posts 'round here.
>>
File: programs.png (75 KB, 477x687) Image search: [Google]
programs.png
75 KB, 477x687
>>319346593
Not him, but I went Arcade → Nintendo → SNES/Genesis → N64/PSX(Pre/Teen) → (Teen)PS2 → (Adult)PS3/X360 → PC

My favorite games tend to be Strategy/RTS & MMOs, with the occasional offline RPG. The only Nintendo releases I've touched in the last 15 years are recent Fire Emblem releases, didn't know the series existed until Awakening. I'm always tempted by Zelda games because I loved them all the way up through Majora's Mask, but the new iterations don't appeal to me enough to buy their systems.

You're a closed minded individual unwilling or unable to buy anything different. That doesn't mean everyone else who grew up with Nintendo is going to be sucking that Nintendo dick for the rest of their lives.
>>
>>319344802
I honestly think it has to do with what games you play first. A lot of my early games were Nintendo. Oracle of Seasons, Super Mario World, Pokémon Yellow/Crystal, Metroid Fusion, Metroid Prime, and those games and the ones after have just seemed so incredibly magical. It's just not the same if you don't experience them during your more foundational years. I didn't get to really travel or go places when I was younger, so any my adventures came from video games. As a result, I treasure these games because they were part of my growing up. Don't you have games like that for you? It makes me sad that this might be the only way to enjoy Nintendo games, though.
>>
>>319349809
are* the ones that have
>>
File: haman is incredulous.jpg (50 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
haman is incredulous.jpg
50 KB, 960x720
>Saga

really
>>
>>319349935
Disregard this, I'm fucking retarded.
>>
>>319344802
It might also help if you look at it within the context of when the game was released. I don't think I could enjoy FFVII or FFVIII if I didn't do that.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.