[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>About what Masahiro Sakurai has to say regarding fighting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6
File: 250px-Supersmashbox.jpg (29 KB, 250x183) Image search: [Google]
250px-Supersmashbox.jpg
29 KB, 250x183
>About what Masahiro Sakurai has to say regarding fighting games, and where Super Smash Bros. fits into the genre's current situation.

>>When I began working on the first Smash Bros., there was a great focus on [highly-technical] fighting games, and that's something we've seen branch off into sort of a niche direction. Now, those types of fighting games have a very high barrier to entry for new players, while Smash was always meant to appeal to lots of people from different gaming communities. When you look at fighting game forums, you'll see a preference for Melee, and yet, I think there are lots of people in the silent majority who don't post online who prefer Brawl. Ever since I started working on the Kirby series, I've always thought about the needs of the less vocal, beginning players of games.

Smash bros is a casual brawler/party game, will you fucking smash autists stop discussing this as a competitive Fighting game?
Nobody likes you, I'm not into the FGC but Smash bros fans annoy me beyond belief, they are the worst

SMASH BROS IS NOT A FIGHTING GAME FOR FUCKS SAKE
>>
Source or piss off
>>
nice meme
i
c
e

m
e
m
e
>>
>>319299365
here you go
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/jun/21/sakurai-says-smash-bros-isnt-fighting-game-completely-different-label-talks-game-development-fighting-genre-and-value-unpredictability/
>>
>>319299378
a u t i s m
a
u
t
i
s
m
>>
>>319299208
nice meme
>>
File: 1434921324805.jpg (15 KB, 156x159) Image search: [Google]
1434921324805.jpg
15 KB, 156x159
>>319299208
Of course its a Fighting game you dork. You fight versus other player, that means is a fightning game
>>
>>319299550
nice autism, smashcućk
>>
>>319299587
Then PvP WoW is also a fighting game, you retard
In fact any PvP game is a fighting game according to your argument
>>
>>319299587
>>319299378
>>319299550
even reddit is better than you

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More

Best Log in / Register
r/smashbrosSSB4
The 'competitive scene' kinda ruining smash...
The game is not even out and some friends and internet commenters are already calling the game crap. "It's slow."

"Still not as good as Melee."

Honestly, what did you expect?

Super Smash Bros. Melee is not a competitive game by design. Seriously, just take a look at any of the pros...and it's just exploiting the hell out of the game. Now, I am not saying Melee is crap or that the hardcore fans should cease their passion. Hell no! It's awesome that a game can give you that.

But that is not what Smash is. Smash is for everyone. It is to fighting games what Mario Kart is to racing games. Nintendo specializes in fun for all. Now you might say: "well this is no fun for me." But that's part of the issue. The game is not even out and you are already over-analyzing the fuck out of it, expecting everything to meet certain player-base imposed criteria that was born out of things NOT done by design. You're not really even giving it a chance.

There is Melee for that. There is Project M for that. And if technicality is your thing, there are plenty of other (and arguably better) games for that.

Just my 2 cents,

Sorry if I come off as too aggresive. I repeat, I have nothing against the Melee fans, but I do against those that expect SSB4 to be something it's not even trying to be.
>>
10.) There are items. Have you ever seen items in a fighting game? I don't think so.

9.) Nintendo has never made an actual fighting game, so why would Smash count as one?

8.) And if you thought about Soul Caliber, then that doesn't count.

7.) This one is VERY important...Nintendo has always been about making casual games, and this is no exception.

6.) I know a lot about Playstation All stars, and it's very similar to Smash, so it too must be a party game.

5.) You're taking a Child's game too seriously. You're just as immature as the Pokemon fanbase.

4.) It's not an Evo because it's a fighting game, it's an Evo because it received a lot of donations.

3.) Nintendo doesn't support you because it doesn't believe in you as a fighting game. Hell, even Sakuari has said that he doesn't believe in you as a true fighting game community.

2.) I rest my case. http://prntscr.com/7z2ycj

1.) Just because it has tech, doesn't mean it's a fighting game. Just look at Splatoon...
>>
>>319299208
> Ever since I started working on the Kirby series, I've always thought about the needs of the less vocal, beginning players of games.

Wow thats a really nice phrasing for basically saying "I don't give a shit about fan feedback"
>>
>it has to be a Street Fighter clone to be a fighting game
>>
>>319299208
>casual game
I agree. Although competitive play is far from casual, at least for Melee.
>party game
Obviously. There's stupid shit like items and 4-player battle royale. That's why they're not used during competitive play.
>brawler
What exactly is a "brawler" game? "Fighting game I don't like"? The term is "platform fighting" or "mascot fighting", a subgenre of fighting game.
>>
>>319301021
you are so fucking delusional
>>
File: ic.jpg (35 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
ic.jpg
35 KB, 960x540
>>319299451
> eventhubs
>>
File: 1449031733876.jpg (178 KB, 750x864) Image search: [Google]
1449031733876.jpg
178 KB, 750x864
>>319299451
>eventhubs
>>
>>319301330
ok

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/nintendo-fan-club-1000001/sakurai-himself-says-smash-bros-is-not-a-fighting--26467677/
>>
Sakurai doesn't know what he's talking about. Motherfucker thought tripping was a good idea.
>>
>>319301553
>he made the game
>he doesn't know what he is talking about
he says what he wants about the game, fucktard, he made it
>>
>>319299208
>SMASH BROS IS NOT A FIGHTING GAME FOR FUCKS SAKE

WTF?

Sakurai's quote you posted says the exact opposite.

> When I began working on the first Smash Bros., there was a great focus on [highly-technical] fighting games, and that's something we've seen branch off into sort of a niche direction. Now, those types of fighting games have a very high barrier to entry for new players, while Smash was always meant to appeal to lots of people from different gaming communities.

Look at what he refers to.

> Those types of fighting games

Not fighting games in general; specific types, and in this case, highly technical fighters. And when he's referring to the SSB series he's referring to it as an entry level fighter, as in being less technical, to appeal to those outside the fighting genre.

And where does he see opinions on the Smash Bros series?

> When you look at fighting game forums...

So tell me, OP, HOW THE FUCK DID YOU INTERPRET THIS AS SMASH BROS NOT BEING A FIGHTING GAME?

Jesus H Christ I don't understand why are people too stubborn to accept there's more to the fighting genre than the template Street Fighter created.
>>
>>319302014
>Now, those types of fighting games have a very high barrier to entry for new players, while Smash was always meant to appeal to lots of people from different gaming communities.

did you even read?
of course not, you're a delusional smash tard
>>
>>319302014

And to carry on, the subgenre the Smash Bros series is in is 2D-> Platform Fighter
>>
>>319300740

10.) There are fireballs. Have you ever seen fireballs in a fighting game? I don't think so.

9.) Capcom has never made an actual fighting game, so why would Street Fighter count as one?

8.) And if you thought about Smash Bros, then that doesn't count.

7.) This one is VERY important...Capcom has always been about making kiddie games (Mega Man, Disney platformers) and this is no exception.

6.) I know a lot about King of Fighters, and it's very similar to Street Fighter, so it too must be a party game.

5.) You're taking a Child's game too seriously. You're just as immature as the Pokemon fanbase.

4.) It's not an Evo because it's a fighting game, it's in Evo because people like to play it.

1.) Just because it has tech, doesn't mean it's a fighting game. Just look at Splatoon...

Karate is the only real fighting game and you know it.
>>
>>319300740
>10.) There are items. Have you ever seen items in a fighting game? I don't think so.

Tekken Tag 2 has items that can be used for special attacks you wouldn't have otherwise, guess it isn't a fighting game anymore.
>>
>>319299208

Personally, I kind of don't want Smash to be considered a fighting game because fighting games are enjoyed by autistic faggots like OP, who throw around their sticks and make death threats to people when they lose.

The fighting game "community" is a joke and the further smash is away from that shit the better.
>>
>>319302225

Taking this much time to reply to an autistic reply, your autism is showing senpai.
>>
http://downloads.khinsider.com/?u=31742 Some tunessss
>>
>>319299208
But even Brawl takes more skill than outdated footsie brawlers like Street Fighter
>>
>>319300740
This entire post, just lol...

>5.) You're taking a Child's game too seriously. You're just as immature as the Pokemon fanbase.

The fucking irony.
>>
>>319299208

>annoy me

Only autists say things are "annoying".
>>
>>319299208
>Ever since I started working on the Kirby series, I've always thought about the needs of the less vocal, beginning players of games.
I don't know why Nintendo is so focused on this shit and feels the need to do this for every thing they make these days.

Can't they just sit down and unironically make a game for hardcore Nintendo enthusiasts for once?
>>
Smash would be better without Sakurai
>>
>>319299208
its a game, where the main focus is fighting other people. not (primarily) by shooting (which would make it a shooter), and there is no leveling system (which would make it an RPG). therefore its a fighting game.
fuck off you drolling retard
>>
>>319299208
The problem is if brawl was like melee in the first place every one would be happy casuals would have liked the items and hardcore players would have liked how it played no split
>>
>>319299208
>I think there are lots of people in the silent majority who don't post online who prefer Brawl

THEN HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT THEY PREFER IF THEY'RE SILENT?

SAKURAI CONFIRMED FOR MAKING SHIT UP BASED ON HIS OWN DELUSIONS.
>>
>>319299208
Actually, what he is saying is that it's more than just a fighting game, so yes, it still is.

The only difference between Smash and other fighting game is the health bar.
>>
Can we just agree that the casual side of things completely ruin the competitive side of Smash?

People always act like it's the other way around, but it's always casuals who force the game to be played at a lower skill level with items. By this point, they're more aggressive than people who like to play competitively.
>>
>>319304053
>I'm not into the FGC
read before posting, retard
>>
>>319299208
>STOP ENJOYING A GAME DIFFERENTLY THAN ME

Autism
>>
>>319299208
>Sakurai still thinks he can dictate who plays his games and how

>I think there are lots of people in the silent majority who don't post online who prefer Brawl.

Well based on the turnout for tournaments I guess they're a silent majority in real life too

>I've always thought about the needs of the less vocal, beginning players of games.

Well fucking stop it. The reason this less vocal crowd didn't complain about Melee is that everyone liked Melee.
>>
It's a party fighting game just like Mario kart is a party racing game. I don't see any point in being mad about terminology or people enjoying it for different reasons than me.
>>
File: chuckster.gif (2 MB, 600x328) Image search: [Google]
chuckster.gif
2 MB, 600x328
>>319306089
>hardcore Nintendo enthusiasts
All the "hardcore Nintendo enthusiasts" have jumped ship for other platforms. You see people on this very board bragging and gloating that they have. This leaves their core audience of handheld users and people who buy merchandise like Amiibos.

After the relative failure of the Gamecube, they're not going to try going hardcore anymore.
>>
Hi! This is a circle that I drew on MSpaint.
I spent a very long time making this circle.
I hope that all of you circle-lovers out there will enjoy the latest circle I have drawn.
>>
>>319299885
Cool dude I'll tell the Evo and APEX guys to take smash off the list :)
>>
>>319299208
Great meme.
>>
>>319309102
Edgy
>>
>>319301330
Is that Arumin Arurerutô from Shingeki no Kyojin desu ?
>>
>>319306648
Thing is, consider the sales of Melee vs. Brawl. At least 5.5 million Brawl players did not have Melee: http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Super_Smash_Bros.

Chances are, then, that they did not have Gamecubes either; Melee was THE GC game, after all. That means, no GC controllers. Apparently, the simplification of Brawl was actually Iwata's doing, as he wanted the game playable with Wiimotes; as tragic as it is, could you imagine playing Melee with a Wiimote?

Now, basing 4U on Brawl is another story, but it is actually somewhat understandable (if unfortunate) as to why Brawl was how it was.
>>
>>319307190
Because they bought the game (Brawl is the top selling one) and seem to have enjoyed it; reception was almost entirely positive around release.
>>
>>319299538
>aautism

my autism has been triggered.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.