[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Evolve
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 8
File: Evolve-Logo.jpg (42 KB, 690x388) Image search: [Google]
Evolve-Logo.jpg
42 KB, 690x388
What went so right?
>>
>>319297869
Literally nothing
>>
>>319297869
the concept was fun, for a couple of hours
>>
>>319297869
huge potential, great fucking lore, terrible business plan

it couldve been beautiful, but fucking dlc...
(i have both season passes, jus sayin people are bitches)
>>
Consider suey sahd.
>>
>>319297869
Asymmetric gameplay means it would never be a serious competitive game, and even casuals would be annoyed because there's always that guy that will keep DCing and re-queing until they get to be the monster, so they're all at once turning away the hardcore players and the casuals.

Also the game was obviously made as a microtransaction platform.
>>
>>319299761
What was the problem with the DLC?
>>
>>319297869
It was a good concept, that's about it.

Some people think Asymmetric gameplay means a game can't be competitive but that's retarded. Games with Asymmetric gameplay tend to be more competitive and attract a more competitive-focused audience (see: Savage, NS, NS2)

The problem was also not the DLC pricing scheme. The game sold very well on release, and if it had kept its player base entertained they probably would've made a ton of money on their DLC as well.

The issue was balance and bugs.

When the game released Wraith was broken. Its movement and powers meant it could listen for a dome going down and escape 100% of the time. For a while Wraiths were losing at the end of the game after getting full health level 3, but soon enough people figured out how to juggle hunters from 100 to 0 with the Wraith and it became a stompfest in competitive circles.

Eventually Turtle Rock fixed both issues (essentially making Wraith useless). In the same patch they introduced a bug to Kraken; Previously when Kraken used Lighting or his AoE attack his movement speed would slow to a crawl. Sloppy coding of a change meant to make tranqs cause Kraken to fall instead of slowing in the air prevented ALL slows while flying, meaning Kraken could zoom around at full speed while using lightning and his AoE. There was also an animation cancel found that allowed Kraken to nearly instantly kill a hunter. This made comp games basically come down to who got the tie-breaker choice, as the monster would win every round.

The next big patch was the release of the first wave of DLC hunters and the first DLC monster, all of which were horrifically broken. The hunters were way too strong and the monster had a glitch that made it overpowered (roll cancels stunlocking hunters to death) and a glitch making it way too weak (while rolling its entire body accidentally became a weak spot)

To this day Turtle Rock has not fixed Kraken.
>>
File: Evolve4-noscale.jpg (558 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Evolve4-noscale.jpg
558 KB, 1920x1080
It's actually the best moba on the market, strangely. I even play the mobile app on occasions.

As cancerous as this post is, Evolve is pretty damn fun and I refuse to quit playing it.
>>
>>319300670
no one wants to buy them. i think its 2 $35 season passes, each one offers 4 hunters + 1 monster, or you could be retarded and buy each individually for like $10 or something. someone correct me if im wrong.

plus, you start with only one of each hunter class and one monster. in order to unlock the other 2 sets of huters/2 monsters you need to progress a certain amount with each character. i found that was okay, it taught you the fundamentals for each character so you knew how to use anyone if a specific hunter was more favorable in a specific team or monster matchup.
also, people didnt like the gameplay so much because its not casual enough. they want quick, insant action/instant gratification, but the games can be a bit lengthy and most of the time its a game of cat and mouse, switching from hunters being the cat early game to the monster being the cat late game.

i loved this game when it had population for about the first 2 weeks. rip in pepperonis
>>
>>319301713
Admitting you like a game isn't cancerous, anon. Unless it's a weeaboo game.
>>
The underlying concept is good.

It just needed more.

Slim best medic, Caira shitters please go.
>>
>>319301860

It's population is still fine on Xbox. Everything is still fine on Xbox, after being a PCfag for years it blows my mind how much longer communities stay alive on the Xbox. Titanfall still to this fucking day gets 20k+ people on the weekends. PC can barely even get 2k.
>>
File: evolve_caira.jpg (39 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
evolve_caira.jpg
39 KB, 1280x720
>>319302093

>Hating on Caira

I'll fight you
>>
>>319302140
that's because xbox only has about 10 games with any meaningful multiplayer
>>
Nothing. It's not an accessibe game as far as it's structure goes and the majority of the people who bought it stopped playing after a while, because while it's a fun game, it's only fun for a few days or maybe weeks.
>>
File: 1371298579920.png (56 KB, 121x184) Image search: [Google]
1371298579920.png
56 KB, 121x184
>>319302312

Top 10 played games on the bone are pretty much all multiplayer except Fallout 4. There's plenty of other multiplayer games that are still very active, BF4/Hardline, Happy Wars, Titanfall, The Crew, Neverwinter, Smite, World of Tanks, and plenty others.

Xbox is where people go when they want to play multiplayer games mostly. I mean you're entitled to your opinion, but Xbox doesn't have that many singleplayer experiences and the games that are popular on the bone are almost all multiplayer.
>>
>>319302365
There were two kinds of players. The casual players were always going to drop it, but there was a fairly sizable hardcore following.

They all left when Turtle Rock broke Kraken and then refused to fix it.

For a while they denied there was anything wrong with Kraken. Then someone posted a video showing clearly that the slow for LS and AS worked on the ground but no longer worked in the air.

Turtle Rock's reply was that pub statistics didn't put Kraken too far ahead of even so they weren't going to fix it.

The same argument is why Lazarus has been total garbage since the game first launched.

Turtle Rock has an absolutely incompetent balancing strategy, and they couldn't get their DLC out on time without it being horribly buggy and completely unbalanced.
>>
>>319297869
nothing
>>
>>319302623

I'm one of the hardcore players that has stuck around. Biggest problem with the game is balance. After that is probably bugs, but seriously the balancing is not great. I still love the game tho. It's my underdog of the year alongside The Crew.
>>
poorly optimized engine, limits customer base too much on pc
not very enticing visually
all the problems arising from asymmetry, namely balance
lots of downtime between finding the monster, boring.
dlc and pricing is something that could be ignored if the game itself was worth it, but it's not.
>>
People still play this game?
>>
>>319302140
i only played on xbone. started to notice it took waaay longer finding matches than around release. decided to only play when new charcters are released, since i have the passes. ill play a handful of games, then wait until next character. feelsbadman.jpg

>>319302093
caira a cute, but slim beats everyone else in the heals. hes op bro.
im a support myself. bucket and cabot are my mains.

anons, who are your go-to's for every class?
hyde
cabot
abe
slim
goliath
>>
>>319302618
You named 7, though I'm not sure whether the Crew counts as meaningful multiplayer. Add Halo 5, Destiny and Evolve to that list for 10.
>>
>>319303075

Considering it's multiplatform, it's still active on all 3. PS4 being the least populated by probably ~15%. Xbox is the most played on according to the devs and the few tournaments being held.
>>
>>319303159
I'm sorry, anon, but that's retarded.

Caira is the only viable medic. She has better heals than the others, she can heal herself, and she can escape/kite the monster. All the other medics fail in at least one of those categories. Lazarus fails at all of them.
>>
>>319303227

I didn't list anything in the normal top 10, I should have mentioned that. Literally 8-9/10 on the top 10 at any given time are multiplayer games. I listed games that most don't know are pretty active. The Crew is pretty amazing with friends and leaderboard events. I load up Forza when I want to play alone and I load up Crew when I want to play with friends.
>>
>>319303274
Caira needs to look away from the monster to heal.

Slim does not.

Caira has to switch between damage and healing, if only for a few seconds.

Slim does not.

Caira can make the team run fast like cowards.

Slim can eliminate on of the monster's most powerful abilities.
>>
>>319303159

Hyde
Maggie
Val
Hank
Bob

I am the nooblord.
>>
>>319297869
The balancing in this game was so bad.
Playing as a Wraith just stopped being fun because there was barely any challenge.
Being trapped in the dome went from being "Oh shit!" to "Oh well.". The decoy ability was disgustingly overpowered.
Meanwhile, certain characters simply weren't viable to play as. Abe was useless because of how his trapping technique worked. It was entirely luck-based.
If the game had been balanced better, and the DLC not been as egregious, it would have been a pretty nifty game.
>>
The Evolve had a cancerous business model. Buy the game at full price, then buy two season passes for all the content (and I'm pretty sure this was the first game to do two season passes). Or get all the characters through a bunch of micro transactions. Since they already are doing the microtransactions/season pass, they should have made the game free to play and pay for extra characters.

I'm glad the game is stagnant and dying if only to prove their model is not popular and not sustainable.
>>
>>319303458
>Caira needs to look away from the monster to heal
To heal herself, sure, but if she's healing herself she should be kiting anyway.
>Caira has to switch between damage and healing
And? Preventing team wipes is more important than the paltry damage a medic can dish.

Slim is amazing for pubs because monsters in pubs are shit but if you're playing someone good Slim will get your team killed very quickly.
>>
>>319303676
Anon, if you payed any attention or even just read the thread you'd know that the game sold extremely well on launch. The problem from TRS' perspective is that they didn't sell much DLC because they failed to retain an active player base.

Why did they fail to retain an active player base? Because they failed to keep the game balanced and bug-free.

The business model they operated under works just fine.
>>
>>319301713
Is the new monster good?
>>
>>319300183
>Asymmetric gameplay means it would never be a serious competitive game
*cough* Brood War *cough*
>>
>>319301407
Wait wait wait, the aftershock bug is STILL NOT FIXED?
>>
>>319303905

Lacks in highend silver and gold rating. Pubstomps most of the time. Some of the pro players have been learning her and say the only way to be competitive is to really really know the wildlife and abuse wall hangs. She's in that same faggoty category as Wraith desu, but with other tricks besides dashes and decoy.

High Skill, Medium reward. I like her.
>>
>>319304084
Different factions isn't the same as asymmetric gameplay you dumb ass.
>>
So people are talking about this again because of sales I suppose. It does seem like a game that would be alright on sale.

How is it these days?
>>
>>319304169
Seems pretty assymetric to me, anon.
>>
>>319304121
Like I said, after they were forced to acknowledge that it exists they posted that they were happy with how Kraken was based on the pub stats.

They basically just use the pub stats to justify never doing any fucking work, as if pub stats could possibly be representative of the balance of the game
>>
>>319303274
>lazarus STILL an instant loss vs a competent monster, never had a meaningful balance change
>TRS even tried to make bucket not garbage (but mostly failed), but never even touched laz
>pubs still think lazarus is great and pick him every game

Why are the two most interesting hunters the undisputed worst? At least Hyde and Markov are both usable.
>>
>>319304197
Shit.

The game's been totally unbalanced since launch for one reason or another. see >>319301407
>>
>>319303729
nah, use your healing bug thing on whoever you wanna prioritize, spam weapon on monster, constant heal pulses, a reliable support + trapper no one wll ever go down. ever.

>>319303472
>hyde
yes
the fuck is bob? you use them because of preference or because you havent unlocked tier 3/no dlc?

>>319303525
tracking dart does suck until it works, then you never lose the monster, sans wraith decoys. but that abe dps. especially on crit spots or with cabot? mmmmmm
>>
So I haven't really touched this game since around a month after launch, I'm looking at it in my steam folder and I own all the DLC but the Behemoth. Wasn't the behemoth supposed to be free if you prepurchased? I'm fairly certain I pre-purchased the full pack like an idiot where the fucks my behemoth?
>>
>>319304505
Laz has an interesting gimmick but they never really thought him through. With the way the monsters fight and the way revives work there was never any way to balance Laz without him being either totally OP or totally shit.

The community tried for ages to think of a way to balance Laz and no one could come up with anything. Laz just doesn't fit in the game.
>>
>>319304268
So you think CS is asymmetric because one side has to use a colt and the other gets an AK?
>>
>>319304572
>nah, use your healing bug thing on whoever you wanna prioritize, spam weapon on monster, constant heal pulses, a reliable support + trapper no one wll ever go down. ever.
I played pro from release until about a month after the first wave of DLC.

Slim is definitely better than Val (almost entirely useless) and Laz (entirely useless), but is many many MANY times less effective than Caira. Caira is the only truly viable medic. Full stop.
>>
>>319304572
I didn't get any DLC and I haven't played in months, but the only really "viable" Trapper in terms of actually locating the monster was, to me, Griffith.
>>
>>319297869

>go to Subway
>buy a $5 footlong
>sandwich artist just gives me an empty loaf of bread
>ask where my meat and toppings are
>says that will be an extra $5 but I'll get all the meat and toppings I want
>hungry so I agree
>puts meat and toppings on half the sandwich
>complain why there isn't any on the other half
>sandwich artist says by all the toppings and meat he only meant for half the sandwich
>it's another $5 for meat and toppings on the other half of the sandwich
>what should be $5 costs $15

That's why it failed
>>
>>319304805
Tell me senpai, did Hank ever move from being the only support anyone with half a brain would ever pick?
>>
Would the game have been more successful if rounds were shorter and more high stake?

The same game concept but more like Alien Isolation, none of that health-sponge bullshit.
>>
>>319304947
For a while Cabot was pretty popular because his damage was monstrous. If you had someone with good aim he could consistently out-damage assaults, usually getting nearly twice the damage. Once his damage got nerfed hard he faded into total obscurity.

Sunny was OP as OP gets before her nerf, but I didn't see her in any competitions.
>>
Is this game even alive? Should I buy CIV 5 instead?
>>
>>319305134
yeah, round times are just way too long. You have the ship intro sequence, then you have to track and find the monster and it often develops in a wild goose chase. Even if you have a competent trapper it can get incredibly hard if the monster knows how to hide properly. And after you wasted 10 minutes of your life chasing the monster around you get into one engagement where the monster tries to avoid the fighting portion as long as he can.
If the rounds were shorter and more brutal the game wouldn't suffer from this.
>>
If they would have shitcanned all that skin dlc that killed the hype, fixed the Wraith and have the fourth roster available at launch, and add some decent dialogue with better voice acting, Evolve would have been fucking dandy.

Another great game killed by poor design/marketing choices and clickbait journalism. Here's to hoping they don't screw up the confirmed sequel.
>>
>>319303870
>payed
>>
>>319305442
You should pirate Civ 5 unless you have the right combination of autism and NEET levels of free time for multiplayer.

Civ 4 was worth buying, 5 isn't.
>>
Literally all they had to do was not fucking be jews with the character unlocks and it wouldve been fine. They could've just did cosmetic shit for money like primal carnage does now.
>>
>>319305234

Sunny was non-stop banned at TGL this weekend. Pros just picked hank instead. One team grabbed Cabot and got annihilated.
>>
>>319305478
Not that guy but would giving the monster less health and letting them evolve faster help?
>>
>>319300183
nosgoth does asymmetric gameplay pretty good
business practices leave a bit to be desired but atleast you can unlock all the characters without paying a dime
>>
>>319305807

>confirmed sequel

Source?

Also if they just make Evolve 2 with a load more content on top of Evolve (like a better version of Taken King) I'd be ok with this. I've come to like the monsters and heroes, I want them to stick around.
>>
>>319306351

Forge was a better game, sadly it wasn't built for F2P and anything not-f2p on steam that is multiplayer only is doomed from the start.
>>
File: 1447642867733.jpg (125 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1447642867733.jpg
125 KB, 1024x768
>>319297869
Honestly, the game itself was pretty decent, if they had fixed some balancing issues, didn't add the fuckton of DLC and had more than 3 monsters at launch then the reviews probably wouldn't have been so harsh.
>>
>>319306371
Disregard that, I confused some IGN shite I read a while ago to be factual.

2K has made it a permanent franchise though

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/evolve-is-a-permanent-franchise-alongside-gta-red-/1100-6427675/
>>
>>319307041

Here's to hoping they learn from their mistakes. I love Evolve and will probably play till the plug gets pulled. It gives me my old Dota fix without playing an actual shitty assfaggots.
>>
Evolve at it's heart is a very solid game. Solid gameplay, level design and art design.

That said I think it failed to retain the player population because of it's asymmetry. It has a lot of similarities with the original Natural Selection mod in that the success of a single round is largely determined by the skill of a single faction. The hunters keep the pace of the game going, which for a lot of casual players was entirely uncoordinated and stressful. The entire purpose of making a casual matchmaking system is undermined once players realized that they didn't want to spend fifteen minutes running around in a circle with idiots.
>>
Hunters need a grapple hook and be in third person
>>
>>319303159
Caira
Jack
Hyde
Sunny

In that order as well
>>
>>319308596
You literally need a group of friends/corporating team to win against silver+ monsters.
Pubs WILL screw you everytime
>>
>>319309080
That's my point. The game demands a premade group but most casuals couldn't be bothered.
>>
File: Wraifu.webm (3 MB, 838x720) Image search: [Google]
Wraifu.webm
3 MB, 838x720
>>319297869
>What went so right?
The Wraith
>>
>>319309863

This thing is cooler then almost any AAA movie monster. Wraith is such a badass

>>319309080

Luckily on the bone people use mics a lot, helps mitigate this issue.
>>
>take a good concept
>remove all semblance of depth and strategy beyond a few by-numbers tactics the game is already balanced around
>it ends up being shit and boring after barely a few hours of play

As a general rule, getting bored of a game in its open beta is not a good sign.

It could have been so much more. I played a Dota 2 custom game with a similar concept that someone made in their SPARE TIME and that handled it far better in every way.
>>
>>319313320

Game clicks with some people and others it completely misses. It's almost as bad as trying to get people to like Monster Hunter.

It's crazy this design is a AAA game, it's not meant for the masses.
>>
>>319314712
The people it connected with all realized it had shit balance and bailed after the first DLC wave.
>>
>>319297869
The game would have been good if it was free to play.
Then all that DLC would have been worth buying.
>>
>>319302276
she got a dick dont she?
>>
File: 1369972348169.jpg (19 KB, 421x363) Image search: [Google]
1369972348169.jpg
19 KB, 421x363
>Pub picks Laz
>Monster just eats your corpse
>Laz is useless

I fucking hate Laz pickers, I'd take anyone over him tbqh
>>
>>319315575
So long as the retarded pubs distract the monster, Laz can be quite decent.

That depends on the Laz player though.
>>
File: KEK.jpg (22 KB, 101x49) Image search: [Google]
KEK.jpg
22 KB, 101x49
>>319297869
>>
>>319301860
>Season passes
You meant "Hunting Season" Pass, right? 3 hunters and 1 monster for $35, what a scoop
>>
>let's you queue up with four friends
>but not 5 oh no we don't want 5 friends to have fun now
>>
>>319319414
>Queue up with 5 friends

What would the fucking point be? You don't go into matchmaking to play a full game. You just start a custom match.
>>
>>319318438

>PC
>Anything surviving against the horde of indie shit and f2p games

It's fine on consoles. PC did just get together and fund their own 2,000 usd tournament tho which is kind of cool.
>>
>>319319414

Just do custom match if you want your friends to play monster.
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.