[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just got my first gaming computer. What are some essential games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 8
File: guhh.png (182 KB, 535x466) Image search: [Google]
guhh.png
182 KB, 535x466
Just got my first gaming computer. What are some essential games? Never owned anything besides Nintendo consoles desu
>>
forget PC games, time to grab psp, ps1, and ps2 emulators
>>
>>319239491
Doom -games
Duke Nukem 3D
Blood
Shadow Warrior 3D
Half-Life -series
Quake 1 & 2
Serious Sam -series
STALKER trilogy
FEAR + expansions
Portal 1 & 2
Far Cry 1
Crysis 1 + expansion
Max Payne 1-2
Worms: Armageddon
System Shock 1 & 2
Fallout 1 & 2
Killing Floor
Red Orchestra 2 + RS
Warcraft 3 + TFT
C&C: Red Alert 1 & 2
Witcher 1

+ Tons of emulators for your favorite retro consoles, and just about all these titles in the pic.
>>
portal
portal 2
talos principle
>>
File: stalker guide v1,42.png (1 MB, 1536x1250) Image search: [Google]
stalker guide v1,42.png
1 MB, 1536x1250
>>319239491
mother-fucking STALKER trilogy.
Been a casual fag all your life? Well, the Zone will maul you into shape.

Consult this Starting Guide,
then see the /vg/'s huge Stalker General for more tips and links: >>>/vg/stalker

Play in the release order. Start with no mods - only latest patch, OR get the full "Starter Pack" first; these contain bug-fixers and light visual mods that can help performance as well.
Leave big overhauls for later playthrougs. Avoid the "Complete" -mods. Always play on MASTER difficulty for best realism and atmosphere, and disable crosshair.

Don't give up in the beginning! The starting gear sucks ass and first area is quite boring.
>>
>>319239491
>Never owned anything besides Nintendo consoles
bait
>>
>>319240169
It's actually not!
>>319239654
>>319239828
>>319239885
>>319239968
Thank you!
>>
>>319239968
Right.
This game is easy as shit, they couldn't make the AI dumber even if they tried to.
>>
File: indiana_jones_fate_of_atlantis.jpg (96 KB, 436x550) Image search: [Google]
indiana_jones_fate_of_atlantis.jpg
96 KB, 436x550
>>319239491

A list far too big to fit on a 4chan post.
>>
File: STALKER CoP - AI fight.webm (3 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
STALKER CoP - AI fight.webm
3 MB, 640x480
>>319240586
>This game is easy as shit,
It really isn't. And according the few hundred "halp! I can't beat the first mission!!"-threads in past 7 years, it definitely isn't considered one by others either.
>they couldn't make the AI dumber even if they tried to.
STALKER's AI is actually one of the most advanced and impressive AI systems ever created. It's just fairly easy to fool, if you learn the basics of the gameplay.
>>
>>319240919
Most of the time they just walk to you shooting, without even using any cover. Stop bullshitting.
>>
stalker is a niche game, it is not one of the games you should try first after making a PC
>>
>>319239828
>cs:go
>insurgency, a fuck-up between cs:go and battlefield
>company of heroes, aka dota in WW2
>map painting simulator: reddit edition
>memegames like chivalry
>>
File: brief history of pc gaming.jpg (4 MB, 4150x2921) Image search: [Google]
brief history of pc gaming.jpg
4 MB, 4150x2921
>>319239491
Have another chart I'm yet to see posted here.
Also, since you never had a non-nintendo console, you might want to have a look at this
http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page
>>
File: 1435532327507-v.png (111 KB, 229x430) Image search: [Google]
1435532327507-v.png
111 KB, 229x430
>>319240919
>shooting at a few monolith in some building in Pripyat
>leave current room to try to flank them
>find one trying to flank me
>>
>>319241292
I'm not bullshitting anyone.
STALKER's AI is dynamic and adaptive, which is a huge department from the traditional, scripted, grid-based AI systems.

The actions of the NPCs depend on their "experience" level, their faction, their gear, and the overall status of the situation (are they alone, what they're facing, where...). There's tons of variables that affect how tough the foes in STALKER can be; a lowly bandit is certainly going to be wormfood fighting against a Merc for example, unless he gets lucky and manages to surprise him.
>>
>>319242689
They just walk to you.
Even at the end-game with all those NPCs with bullshit armors that take 1 mag to kill.
I've found that if you're in a building and slowly slice the pie while entering new rooms, they won't even shoot you while you're in their sight. You can just pop their head with no response.
I could understand inventory and ammo managing but actual fighting? Even a CSGO player shouldn't have problems.

I'd say the only way this game can be hard is with numbers but even then you can use 1 grenade to kill a dozen npcs, and you find grenades like they're bread.
>>
Mount & Blade
>>
>>319243397
>They just walk to you.
No they don't. I've have numerous NPCs try to flank me, or even lay in ambush in some dark corner after I'd taken out rest of their squad.
>Even at the end-game with all those NPCs with bullshit armors that take 1 mag to kill.
You really need to reconsider your gear or playing styles if it takes a full mag to kill any human enemy in the game.
>I could understand inventory and ammo managing but actual fighting? Even a CSGO player shouldn't have problems.
CSGO players are not your typical console players. And you really can't approach STALKER with CSGO mentality either, no matter that the Knife is the strongest weapon in both games and pistols suck.

All in all, it's next to impossible for experienced veterans like us to get to the mentality of those poor souls who rage quit after dying the 5th time in the Car Park, and then make whiny threads on /v/, asking for mods to "fix the guns". But the fact is, this kind of gameplay is not anymore a norm; the fact that there's actual "tiers" in gear, and you really start at the rocky bottom of the foodchain, is a quickly dying form of art.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.