[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 205
Thread images: 27
File: Wasteland2art.jpg (46 KB, 314x299) Image search: [Google]
Wasteland2art.jpg
46 KB, 314x299
Is this good?
>>
>>319214630
/v/ will tell you it's shit. Along with PoE and Divinity OS
I personally loved them
>>
>>319214630
i'm playing the directors cut right now.
if you can handle the bugs that are still in the game, its not too bad. i'm enjoying it.
>>
>>319214630

It has some nice ideas that were already done in the past, but it seriously looks like a game made with a $20 budget. The font is terrible, the UI is ugly, the enemy animations are horrible and the gameplay is literally the bad parts of XCOM.
>>
>>319214918
The DC says it has better models. Is that true?
I doubt it. The character models were some real undetailed shit.
>>
I enjoyed it a lot with my crappy party. It's one of the few modern games where I really got immersed
>>
Pretty good game, hard not to get bored of it pretty quickly though. All your dudes do is a basic shoot attack, if they had some kind of special skills or proc chances during attacks that'd be neat. I didn't end up finishing it.

>>319214756
PoE is shit, don't lump it in with a god tier game like Divinity Original Sin, you look retarded.
>>
RNG : The Game

Even with a good strategy you'll reload the same battle 10-12 times before you actually win it.
>>
The Director's Cut is better than Fallout 4, and I usually hate turn-based games.
>>
>>319214630
no
>>
>>319214630
It's shit, even after the Director's Cut.
>>
>>319215275
Risk managment and compensating for RNG is a part of the games like this though.

If you need to reload that much it means RNG is actually fucking your enemy over that one time when you win rather than the other way around.
>>
what about this?
>>
>>319215871
Depends entirely on how long your attention span is.
>>
>>319214630
Terrible, just go play Fallout Tactics.
>>
>>319215871
Meh.
>>
>>319215760
No, RNG is padding and only artificially extends playtime with no other purpose.
>>
>>319216212
> only artificially extends playtime with no other purpose
Maybe if you are shit.

Making choices either that reduce the RNG influence to a minimum at the cost of overall effectiveness or vice versa is also a part of the game, and W2 does that.

Just because you can't grasp the idea doesn't mean it's shit.
>>
>>319216212
This line of thinking is the difference between people who can consistently beat FTL and people who cant
>>
No
Get PoE or Div:OS instead
>>
>>319214630
shitty fallout bargain bin knockoff, doesnt even have controller support...

into the trash it goes
>>
>>319215871
Everyone on /v/ praises this game
but if you actually play it, you'll see how rough and outdated it really is
>>
It's decent, worth a play if you're a fan of the genre and don't have anything better in your backlog.
>>
It is good for what it is.
A trip down memory lane for the older gamers among us.
>>
>>319217550

Director's cut got controller support.
>>
>>319216212
>pick weapons with the highest minimal damage possible and the lowest jam chance
>make sure to use sturdy mags to reduce the jam chance even more, up to 0
>leadership on one char to make sure no one goes rogue
>always assume the worst case scenario
>have a well thought plan on what do to do if you hit and what to do if you miss
Sounds to me like you are just shit, the only ones getting fucked by RNG are my enemies.
>>
>>319215871
Best game evurrrr etc.
It's OK.
>>
>>319215871
Combat is awful, story is pretty great but the writing and world are what make this one of the greatest of all time.
>>
>>319215082
I don't know, but even if it did, it's not noticeable enough.

>>319215871
terrible combat, great story and characters.
>>
>>319214630
As a team based rpg, it's decent. DC give it a little more options too. However if you're more into games like old Fallouts (one character), you should try Underrail.
>>
File: w2comp.png (141 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
w2comp.png
141 KB, 512x512
For those of you who played it, do you think it lived up to the expectations?

Is it a fair successor to Wasteland? Is it a fair spiritual successor to the Fallouts?
>>
>>319215082

Yes, the model are much better in DC. You're still going to be looking at them from a zoomed-out bird's eye view, though.
>>
>>319215871
Probably the most overrated game in entire fucking history of vidya. It was badly made in the days and it stands out even more now, 15 years later. The entire plot and all characters can be summed up in "We are so fucking edgy you couldn't ever guess we are from late 90s".

In short - plays like shit, plot is just bad, pacing is awful even for an RPG.
But /v/ will tell you it's the best WRPG ever made, because someone told that to their older brother and that guy heard that from the other guy and he got it from that guy who had a shit taste.
>>
>>319217706
Ah, these kids born after 200X...
>>
>>319218754
all i see is loss
>>
>>319215172

Director's Cut helps with that. The targeted attacks and different perks can really change up the way you go about combat, if you're smart about it anyway.

>>319215275

If you have to repeat the same battle 10-12 times, you're either using a bad strategy, badly made characters, badly chosen equipment, or trying to tackle something far too early.

I'm not very good when it comes to strategy or character design but I've never had to repeat a battle that many times.
>>
>>319218873
lol

no.
>>
File: 2015-12-03_00001.jpg (384 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-03_00001.jpg
384 KB, 1920x1080
>>319218578
>you should try Underrail
Buy now because it's only going to be more expensive in the future, don't play until full release (21 December).

Early access saves are going to be incompatible with the release version.
>>
>>319218754
How the fuck it's suppose to be spiritual successor to Fallouts, if Fallouts are spiritual successor to Wasteland? You've just made the same stupid move as the guys behind Tomb Raider asking if they did great spiritual successor to Uncharted, while Uncharted was made as action knock-off of TRs.

As Wasteland successor - fucking YES! This game only lacks random encounters from the original, but they would be almost impossible to implement with given game design (the original pretty much played like pokemons, so it wasn't really hard to emulate a situation when the squad was attacked out of the blue by entire gang).
If that stuff was present in the game, it would be fucking perfect.

The sole fact there are sidequests of sidequests of sidequests makes it everything that a perfect Wasteland successor should be
>>
>>319218754

It's definitely a worthy successor to Wasteland, if you've actually played that. As for Fallout, that would depend on what you consider to be the relevant elements of Fallout. It's similar in some ways but really does its own thing in others.
>>
>>319218873
Yes, because the only reason why Planescape is shit is not because it's just a badly made and written game. No, sir, that's because you are underage.
What about people like me, who played RPGs all the 90s and then were instantly turned off by this ugly piece of 2edgy4you shit?
>>
>>319214630
its better than pillars of eternity.
i didnt get much bugs in my playthrough
its fun and entertaining.
>>
File: 1437261268284.jpg (154 KB, 960x744) Image search: [Google]
1437261268284.jpg
154 KB, 960x744
i know a guy that knows a guy, hes gonna be here soon to make you understand why he considers this to be the best game made by bethesda softworks
>>
>>319214630
Wasteland 2 makes Fallout Tactics look like a finely polished machine.

Even worse are the developers who went through so much fucking crowd funding, only to go early access for more money milking.

Ontop of that, the $60 price tag. Once the price tag dropped they created Director's Cut to charge people another $60 dollars.

Fuck them.
>>
Yes it's good you fucking retard
>>
>>319219375
>P:T
>2edgy4you
You are either lying or retarded.
>>
>>319219459
Your mom makes Fallout BoS look like GOTY 11/10 - IGN
>>
>>319219634
>>
>>319219459
>$60 price tag

[citation needed]
>>
>>319218754
As for me, they've somehow cut too much out. In the original, there was a LOT of skills that weren't your common use, but still came handy. In the sequel, all skills have about the same rate of use.
Let's put that on example:
In Wasteland, you had Safe cracking. It could be used... maybe three times. Two of which a bunch of TNT could do the same job. Meanwhile, lockpicking was really handy, opening you shitload of places without having to bash doors open or evaporate them with explosives.
In sequel Cracking opens you 1/3 of all containers, which is just... strange.

I mean I get it, no longer skills like Mining, which was useful in ONE place and just to extract silver ore, but making everything equally useful just doesn't play well with a game that is about post-apo survival of randomly trained people.

Speaking of random people - I fucking LOVE the fact you no longer need to roll your characters, but can instead point-build them. Saves a LOT of time.
>>
File: star.png (124 KB, 600x570) Image search: [Google]
star.png
124 KB, 600x570
>>319219634
>>
>>319219176
I've should've said spiritual connection, which is what Fargo actually said.
>>
>>319219849
I'm sorry your a lazy faggot, but no amount of citation will prove otherwise.
>>
>>319219562
>Your main character is special case of super snowflake
>All the followers are broken people with very shady past that just need a proper hug
>The plot is intentionally shitting on all the cliches of the epic story
>Your character was kind of a cunt, but now you are reforming
>Eveyrthing is dirty, impoverished and ugly
>Everyone is in constant pain and grief
Totally not 2edgy4you material. Why would anyone get such silly idea?
>>
>>319219951

Man I hate rolling systems. Some people are nostalgic for that shit, I just can't understand it. I've never encountered a group that rolls stats in tabletop either, people just houserule that shit.
>>
>>319220115
it's 40 yuros on steam
>>
>>319219951
>In sequel Cracking opens you 1/3 of all containers, which is just... strange.
It's still pretty useless because you can blow open pretty much all safes.

It was only really useful for the bank robbery in Rodia.
>>
combat system is too simplistic

quest are uninspired, locations are uninspired

just decent
>>
File: 1392660096546.jpg (24 KB, 627x498) Image search: [Google]
1392660096546.jpg
24 KB, 627x498
>>319219459
>$60 price tag
You've lost me at this point with your bullshit
>>
>>319220141
I don't think you know what "edgy" means anymore Anon.

You might want to put the memes down for some time, you got them all mixed up.
>>
>>319219998
They don't even charge for the Directors Cut, you get it for free if you own the original. So yknow.
>>
>>319219375
>lying on the internet
For what purpose? On an anonymous image board at that.
Just how fucking pathetic are you?
>>
>>319220181
>Hey, let's play characters following specific archetypes!
>It would totally work out if we now add to them randomly generated stats!
>Oh, look, your Fighter got laughable physical stats!
Never understand the appeal. Or the concept of re-rolling until you get the right stats. Why not point-buy then from the start, but pretending you are "fair" by rolling ad infinitum?
>>
>>319219176
I really enjoyed FO1 and 2, having played them a few years back.

In what ways would you say they are similar? In what ways would you say they are different? Forgive me, I never played Wasteland.
>>
>>319214630
If you like turn-based games, it's great.
>>
>>319220229
There ain't enough explosives in the game for that. And my point was more about how 1/3 of containers are safes than anything else.
>>
>>319220585

Wasteland is party-based, with a party you create at the start, as well as followers which can have some quirks. It's more combat-focused. Overall they are quite similar, but far from identical.
>>
>>319220430
I find the game just bad and extremely over-rated. Does that rustle you the wrong way? Not my problem. My problem is how this piece of crap is constantly hailed as second coming of Christ and best thing since the sliced bread. Arcanum came about the same time and was so good it made steampunk work. Meanwhile Planescape is just a shit game that tries very hard to poke fun out of the formula, but since it takes itself so fucking serious it just ends up as grim-derp edgy shit.
>>
>>319220638
> And my point was more about how 1/3 of containers are safes than anything else.
Yeah that is true.

I kinda miss all those skill from the first Wasteland too, at least it was exciting to finally find some use for them, now it's all pretty generic and predictable.
>>
>>319220826

Or rather, Wasteland 2. Wasteland 1 plays very differently, though it certainly influenced Fallout.
>>
>>319220585
I will give you a simple explaination of original Wasteland gameplay.

Imagine playing Pokemons. Now instead of Pokemons, you are controlling a squad of soldiers. Now instead some shitty badges you are saving the world and fighting raiders. Now imagine that 7 years before Pokemon. Now add to that solid story, written in fucking paper manual so the game prompts you to read the right passage from the manual.
One of the very best RPGs ever made. And it's not just nostalgia. The game is simply brilliant, especially when you realise the struggle behind technical limiations.
>>
>>319220212
No.

Wastleland 2 launched as $55 for beta access, then $60 for early access.

Price dropped to $40 for release.

Director's cut released as $40 for standard and $60 for delux.
>>
>>319220865
nobody minds that you don't like the game, that's perfectly fine, but when you make arguments like
>ugly piece of 2edgy4you shit
don't expect to be taken seriously.
>>
>almost never buy games
>buy Wasteland 2 during summer sale
>/v/ says it's shit, and a DC is coming out
>don't play, wait for DC
>DC comes out, /v/ says that's shit too
>never play
Holy shit, I feel so bad for not playing this, when I actually spent money on it. I know I shouldn't listen to /v/, but all of their complaints are things that would put me off from a game. Also, my backlog is full of GOTYs
>>
>>319214630
The DC is an actual improvement over the original game.
Contrary to what previous posters said, there's next to no bugs (except for the whole Hollywood area, that one was a bit of a mess).
And I personally loved the writing and factions in the game.
Those monks carrying dirty bombs and accompanying the willing strangers for meager compensation was like a twisted parody on a real-life global nuclear deterrence.
So much fun stuff.
>>
>>319214630

Since this seems to be a CRPG thread, I'm going to ask about Age of Decadence. My first character was full talker with 4 str/4dex/4con.

I had all my points in Etiquette, Impersonation, and Persuasion. Is this not how I'm meant to play at all? Every time I try to do anything I get skill checks for things I can't do, like Streetwise or Sneak and I end up in combat which I can't win. Am I supposed to just spread points out to cover as many social skills as possible?

Side note--tried out the Combat Training mode thing and so far the combat seems awesome.
>>
>>319214630
In the original release, the balancing was really jank and the RPG systems (leveling, Xp, etc.) felt out of whack. Was still fun tho.
>>
>>319214630
decent game, rough around the edges
low development budget shows though
>>
>>319214630

It's basically below Russian shovelware in quality

suffers from the same problem as PoE in that it tries to appeal to nostalgia but fails to actually improve on anything significant
>>
File: 1409196533462.jpg (310 KB, 1053x1070) Image search: [Google]
1409196533462.jpg
310 KB, 1053x1070
>>319219459
>Even worse are the developers who went through so much fucking crowd funding, only to go early access for more money milking. Ontop of that, the $60 price tag. Once the price tag dropped they created Director's Cut to charge people another $60 dollars.

Why do you talk about shit you know nothing about?

The early access was provided free to people who had backed them on Kickstarter. It only allowed them to get more money from people who had missed the Kickstarter but wanted to get in on the hype, like me.

The Director's Cut was also provided free to anyone who already had the game. It only allowed them to get "another" $60 from people who had never bought it before in the first place, such as console users.

Come up with some better bait, you're fucking embarrassing yourself.
>>
>>319221228
But the game is ugly, is piece of shit and is fucking edgy, so what's the point? I've already listed the stuff that makes it edgy and reply I've got? "Surely you don't know what edgy means".
I know exactly what it means. And I know that this game is fundamentally flawed on gameplay, story and aesthetics department, but everyone desperately tries to ignore that, as it's "the best RPG ever".
I don't even know from where this fucking meme-tier shitting over P:T came from. Somehow somewhere in '03 everyone started pissing their pants over P:T how absolutely amazing it was, while for previous few years it almost didn't exist at all. It reminds me the treatment /v/ gave to Bioshock 2. Just for the sake of contrarian /v/ started praising B2 as the best game in the series as a fucking joke and open trolling. It reached the point where non-4chan users are sprouting bullshit how B2 is the best part of the series, because they've heard that from the guy who heard that from the guy.
>>
>>319214630
I liked it a lot. If you like anything like XCOM or Fallout Tactics (turn based squadish shooters) you'll probably enjoy Wasteland. It would have been much better if a better funded/managed team had worked on it. But for a low budget production they did well. I'm hoping they do a Wasteland 3.
No idea what the price is like on Stream right now, but I'd pay $20-25 if I hadn't already bought it.
>>
>>319221256
Then just play the game and see for yourself. It's not like you have to buy it yet.
>>
>>319220523

Well, generally you'd roll first and pick your class afterwards, but it's still a dumb system.
>>
>>319221745
>Since this seems to be a CRPG thread
Fuck off
>Age of Decadenc
Just fuck off
>>
>>319220638

Not him, but ehhhh, I'd still dispute that. I'm pretty sure I saw significantly more chests and boxes than I saw safes, even though the safes tended to be harder and have somewhat better loot.
>>
File: c26.png (17 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
c26.png
17 KB, 625x626
>>319222216
>fails to actually improve on anything significant
Apparently you never played the original. And Fargo was open from the very start he's doing this game for nostalgiafags who played original game back in the day.
>>
>>319222543
>"buy Wasteland 2 during summer sale"
>"It's not like you have to buy it yet."
>>
>>319222675

you got a problem? Also I see discussion of Fallout, PST, Divinity, Underrail and Pillars in this thread.
>>
>>319221745
>I had all my points in Etiquette, Impersonation, and Persuasion. Is this not how I'm meant to play at all?
Not quite.

Being a talker is mostly about using logic and progressively learing what skill are useful in what situations, trial and error.

Take your skills, for example.
Etiquette is something that is going to be used when dealing with people like nobles or leaders, so it's a pretty niche skill.

Impersonation is going to be used is situations where you need to hide your true identity, so it's not that often either.

Persuasion is going to be used to convice people who can be reasoned with. Pretty often but there are cases where a thug just won't listen to your soft words.

Now, by logic, streetwise is going to be pretty damn useful in a post apo world full of thugs and people who will try to fuck you over, right?

Now keep in mind when I say "trail and error" I'm not talking about savescumming or meta, it's just a learning curve. After some playing you will start to recognize the pattern and every failed check (and not all of them result in a fight) will mean you need to incest in that skill more.

As a tip I will say that persuasion and streetwise are the most useful ones.

>Side note--tried out the Combat Training mode thing and so far the combat seems awesome.
It has a lot of options and a steep learning curve.

Be sure to take one weapon skill, one defensive skill and optionally critical strike if you have enough points.
>>
>>319222796

I meant in regards to old CRPGs as a whole

sure, it has improvements compared to a game a from 88, but that's not saying much
>>
>>319221745
AoD is made in such a way that you can't make a proper build from the beginning no matter how you try.
It's a guessing game.
You literally need to KNOW what developers wanted to invest your points in at every specific location.
That was a huge turnoff for me once I realised this bullshit.
Great game though.
>>
>>319219375
I can't grasp how can it be 2deep4you, it feels like every single game that has some vanilla philosophies (unless it's a stale world with elves in the woods, and dwarves in the mines, whoa) in it can't be praised, because of kids with ADHD or typical US gamers who didn't read any decent books when they were growing up, and therefor everything that's not god damn simple is a priori bad.
>>
The camera was the worst shit i have ever seen
turned it off after 5mins
>>
>>319222579
Yeah, but that rises another problem. Say you want to play as character A, while your friend got a concept of character B. But after the rolls you can stick to the original ideas and suck immensely with your unplayable characters or you start playing as character C, while your friend is playing the character A.
Where if fun in that when random roll decides who and how are you going to play? This is literally the early-day RPG bullshit, where it was pretty much miniature combat sport, focused on "winning" and "fair chance" for that.

>>319222729
The proper distribution goes like this: 3/6 of locks require lockpicks, 2/6 are tumblers and 1/6 are electronic locks opened with computer skills. I wouldn't mind if not fiding random safes, often in literal dumps or in the middle of nothing.
>>
>>319223021
And I think you should work on your reading comprehension, because mentioning other games doesn't mean they are discussed. Want to have AoD thread? Make one.
>>
>>319214630
I love it

Still haven't gotten out of Arizona, but have 30 hours

Playing it on laptop so graphics aren't the best, who cares anyways; and it's slow using track pad

I have two digital copies of the original and DC and have a boxed version, worth the $50
>>
>>319223054

Yeah, but here's my problem. One of the early skills for the thieves guild has me impersonating a member of the Merchants' guild in order to derail a shipment of gold or some shit to a warehouse owned by the thieves. I used impersonation and persuasion to get my hands on some official-looking documents, pretend to be working for Linos, and get them to deliver the shit where we need it. Then suddenly out of nowhere there's a sneak requirement and when I fail I get thrown into combat, so even though I got through 9/10 of the quest by talking, I'm stuck.

There was also another one where I have to get rid of this rival loremaster guy for the loremaster in town, but if I try to talk him into leaving, my high perception reveals that it didn't work. Seems like I have no choice but to kill him.
>>
>>319223057
Mate, original Wasteland is an absolute LEGEND. And yet the sequel delivers. So I'm not sure what's your point here. Being too young to play the original and thus not having the proper idea how risky the whole thing was and how gloriously good W2 turned out to be?
>>
>>319223514
>Playing it on laptop
So, that's actually working? I'm looking for games to play on my laptop this Christmas. I have Wasteland 2, but I heard it was badly optimized (my laptop is a shitty toaster)
>>
>>319223195
Yes, because if I diss P:T for being bad game, it means I must be a dumb American, preferably a nigger to that, right? That totally explains why I've play and played RPGs, those are the games that totally appleal to Brad the Jock.
Seriously, can't you think of anything better than ad hominem when figuring out argumentation?
And what philosophy are we talking about? The game has the exact kind of philosophic reflection you strap on to look classy and well-written - the deep shit about free will, predestination and struggle to tame the beast. Aka the absolutely entry tier in philosophy that has been done over and over and over since people can rub two brain cells together.
>>
>>319223505
>because mentioning other games doesn't mean they are discussed

>>319215871
>>319217706
>>319218873
>>319219375
>>319220430
>>319220865
>>319221228
>>319222268

hmm?
>>
>>319223525
>One of the early skills for the thieves guild
>thieves
>talker
>Then suddenly out of nowhere there's a sneak requirement
Lets be reasonable here.

The game has a lot of "out of nowhere" checks that's true and I'm not defending it, but having to be good at sneaking as a damn thief is pretty predictable.

It's like complaining you can't progress in asaassins quild without any fighting skills or at least critical strike. No shit, why are you even an assassin without any of those?

You could make a forgery with high enough lore, too, so the game is definitely giving you options.

>my high perception reveals that it didn't work. Seems like I have no choice but to kill him.
Or let him go.

Just because you passed the PER check doesn't mean you need to benefit from it alone. It merely opens up another option.

Besides, this fight is so easy even a pure talker should manage.
>>
>>319220141
>Your main character is special case of super snowflake
Yes. Like in most of the cRPGs
>All the followers are broken people with very shady past that just need a proper hug
They need to understend their own motives and they are tied up to MC, whogave them a rough ride in the previous incarnations
And why is that bad?
Have you ever played the game? You're playing as a blank slate, the another one nameless one.
>Eveyrthing is dirty, impoverished and ugly
Because that's the nature or this universe. It's like saying that WoD is full of gothic horror and pop culture references and point out it's wrong.
The same as above
>>
>>319223505
>mentioning other games doesn't mean they are discussed
It kinda does, if you mention something during a discussion it becomes a part of it no matter how you look at it.

How about you stop being a dick for the sake of being a dick?
>>
>>319224051
Then you've heard wrong. The game is loooong fixed, optimalised and bug-free. It is like that since late November of 2014, aka two months after the release.
Most of the shitting comes from people who either played the beta version (which was fucking beta version) or guys who rushed for it on release. It's all long fixed, but the shitting continues.
>>
>>319224303

Which guild should a grifter join then? To my knowledge a grifter is a thief who uses guile rather than stealth.

>this fight is so easy even a pure talker should manage.

my character is literally 4 con/4str/4dex with 0 fighting skills. I couldn't even hit the guy.
>>
>>319214630
The director's cut fixed most of the problems I had with the game, and they have patched out most of the bugs. So its not bad.
>>
>>319224190
>Stupid argument between two idiots
>Discussion
Your standards for proper conversation are insultingly low
>>
>>319224303
not him, but how hard is combat for pure speech characters? Of course it will be tougher, but is it possible to beat the eventual combat encounters you will have? Or can you talk your way of absolutely everything?
>>
>>319224609
>Your standards for proper conversation are insultingly low

They must be, since I'm still replying to you, right?
>>
>>319223675
> Mate, original Wasteland is an absolute LEGEND. And yet the sequel delivers.

Somehow I'm getting the idea that the original Wasteland wasn't so good

> how gloriously good W2 turned out to be?

What was good about it?

It can't be the attribute system because that was retarded

It can't be the combat which was shallow as fuck and is what the game is focused on.

It can't be the graphics, because they look like they're from 2004

It can't be the amount of freedom, because the game loves preventing you from visiting certain areas and tends to ignore you if you try finishing a quest in a way the game doesn't tell you about.

It can't be the writing, because overall it was average at best and the ending was clearly unfinished.
>>
this game is shit
>>
File: mirin.png (2 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
mirin.png
2 MB, 1366x768
>>319224051
>>319224503
I think I bought my laptop last year and this is an in-game pic

Though I do have tons of tabs opened in Chrome, jDownloader, and a few PDFs opened

I last played it back last October, before any of the bigger updates came out.

Again, I don't mind graphics unless I can play
>>
>>319224303
Also, as far as I know it's possible to speak with the IG commander instead of sneaking.

>>319224530
>Which guild should a grifter join then? To my knowledge a grifter is a thief who uses guile rather than stealth.
Merchants are the most suited for pure talkers, but it's possible to make a talker with some stealing and sneaking to play as a talking thief.

Overall the game has 4 archetypes: thief, fighter, talker and loremaster. You should be able to play as either pure one (except for thieves, they need some talking or fighting no matter what, devs are trying to fix it as far as I know) or as a combination of two as long as one of them is either a figter of a talker (so a fighter/loremaster is going to be good, but thief/loremaster not so much)

>my character is literally 4 con/4str/4dex with 0 fighting skills. I couldn't even hit the guy.
Let him go then.

Or screw Feng and escort Cassius to the palce instead.

>>319224681
>not him, but how hard is combat for pure speech characters?
Not at all because they don't need to fight.

> Of course it will be tougher, but is it possible to beat the eventual combat encounters you will have?
It's possible to make a fighter/talker but it's hard to pull off on 1st playthrough.

>Or can you talk your way of absolutely everything?
You can.
>>
>>319214630
In playing it right now.
It's pretty good
Backtracking is kinda tiring though and combat is pretty straight forward.
I like it more than divinity os because divinity just felt too damn generic in its world.
Holyshit the game skyrockets in quality in the second half and these Militia of god fuckers are extremely painful.
>>
>>319224331
>Most of the cRPGs
Let's see... Arcanum. Just a random dude/chick. Fallout. Literally a random dude/chick that picked the shortest straw. Gothic. A nameless fuck that nobody even cares about. Both Wastelands. Just a bunch of random recruits.
As compared with dude who can't die, was a big figure in his past incarnations, knew everyona and whatnot
>They need to understend their own motives and they are tied up to MC, whogave them a rough ride in the previous incarnations
And that makes them less one-dimensional broken birds, because...?
There is an entire canyon between tasteful deconstruction and lolsrandom shitting on cliches
Yes, I've played it. And previous incarnations of the nameless one are all cunning bastards, using and abusing people around them, but now you are on the good path
>It's like saying that WoD is full of gothic horror and pop culture references and point out it's wrong.
Which is wrong and you should be well aware of. Or you are serious here and say WoD is ok because how over-the-top it is. In such situation I rest my case, that explains why you accept P:T
>The same as above
And does it serve any other purpose than "let's make the world dark in the cheapest and laziest way possible"? No, it doesn't. It doesn't even makes sense in-universe. Meaning it's another reason why the game is 2edgy4you.
>>
>>319224127
Did I forgot to put there vanilla, because I can clearly see it there. The thing is what's bad about it? You say that it has been done hundreds of times. Great, and I'll say that story in Baldur's Gate is cliche. Does that mean that the game is shit? Well, it's not great in terms of story but it provides what Forgotten Realms universe can provide. Where is problem with that? Because, the only thing I can see is you beeing mad over the game that tried something new than placing in in the shoes of a chosen one who saves the world and marries a princess.

And my arguments about US are as strong, as your assumptions that I'm underage :^)
>>
>>319215082
sadly they cut breast sizes by half.
>>
>>319225036

> expecting unity games to run well

Just because it looks like it's from 2004 doesn't mean it can't have 2014 system requirements!
>>
>>319224737
>You
>As in singular
Oh my sweet summer child
>>
>>319225246
>Merchants are the most suited for pure talkers, but it's possible to make a talker with some stealing and sneaking to play as a talking thief.

Guess I'll go thief/talker then. I was trying to go as con man as possible.
>>
>>319225036
wew lad
>>
File: image.jpg (64 KB, 580x436) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64 KB, 580x436
>>319214630
>Takayukis portrait has a shirt but character model has none
>Rose has long black hair but model has short white hair
>Scothmo has a beard but model has none
>Cain is bald and has glasses but model has a gasmask and hood
What the fuck was going on with their artists? They really neded to get their shit together
>>
>>319225392

>not understanding possessives
>implying the subject wasn't "standards"
>>
>>319224757
>I don't understand why a game openly designed and made for nostalgiafags appeals to nostalgiafags
Maybe because you never played the original and thus you are not the target? Because seriously, the game was made from start to finish for people who were waiting past 20 years for the sequel.
>>
File: 10 outta 10.jpg (29 KB, 342x342) Image search: [Google]
10 outta 10.jpg
29 KB, 342x342
Wasteland 2 is 9/10 for me. Great mechanics, interesting to explore, decent combat, good writing, lots of options, etc. It's everything a cRPG should be, to me.
>>
>>319225447
Merchants are pretty con too at times.

Lots of plotting and fucking people over.

There is that one quest where you need to convince an imperial guard to do what you want.

With high enough INT/DEX/Streetwise you can gamble with him and make him lose a fuck ton of money, and the propose that the guild is going to pay for him if he does what you want him to.
>>
>>319225581

> they made it for people who would jizz over a pile of shit if you'd call it wasteland

okay
>>
>>319218754
How the fuck do I get the green girl?
The wiki says she arrives after you save the base with mutants but she didn't show up.
>>
File: 317.png (90 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
317.png
90 KB, 500x501
>>319225303
>as your assumptions that I'm underage :^)
Literally what?

And please explain me why the fuck we are talking about BG now? Did I mention BG at least once? No? Then why the fuck you are making a false comparison now?

I don't know, you expect me to fall for any of those baits? The only thing you've just achieved was officially derailing the whole thing
>>
Personally, I found it to be shit. The skill system is fucking atrocious and the combat is worse than pretty much any other major tRPG I can think of, even worse than XCOM: EU.

The skill system is a bloated mess (thought it's more "compact" than the original), with considerably more redundancies than Wasteland 1. Attributes are completely divorced from skills outside of INT; your characters' ability to talk their way out of a situation is determined solely by their speech skills, of which there are 3-5. Hilariously (but not really), a character with 10-INT/1-STR will wind up being better at using Brute Force than a character with 1-INT/10-STR. There are mechanics in place to prevent shit like that, as seen with INT and Surgery, but they aren't used here. Really, the system is fucking abominable.

The graphics are still pretty bad and the game is still poorly optimized. Not much else to say.

Weapon types are mostly unbalanced, with ARs still being far-and-away the best. SMGs and Heavy Weapons still fucking suck. Combat has somewhat improved by the addition of an AT system a la Fo1/2 (took them long enough) but overall options are slim compared to the old greats. Enemies still sprint across the map and are generally stupid.

InXile tried to reinvent the wheel instead of actually learning something from almost two and a half decades of cRPG/tRPG improvements.
>>
>>319225913
>Now I will smugly dismiss one of the greatest RPG in the entire vidya history, that will show them how young I am
Funny. People like you were part of the promotional video. Here, starting at 0:55:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZGi5oLXfLI
>>
File: 14375.png (53 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
14375.png
53 KB, 500x501
>>319226048
>the combat is worse than pretty much any other major tRPG I can think of, even worse than XCOM: EU.
>>
>>319226242

i this was accurate the kid would have nodded at Fallout and then started talking about Fallout 3
>>
>>319226353
But it is. XCOM might've been piss easy, but it's system is far more robust and entertaining than the tepid shit of W2.
>>
>fallout fags rip on bethesda
>this game is announced
>they praise it, since some of the original fallout team members are on board. /v/ tells us all how this team will show bethesda whats what
>game is released

>mediocre at best

Yeah. They sure showed bethesda.
I thought these were the best and brightest from fallout 1 and 2?
Technically the smaller team should have had more focus. That's why large studios like bethesda fuck things up constantly.

The hell happened here?
>>
>>319220523
Some people just like the idea of having to work around whatever limitations fate provides you. I guess it can make the role feel more authentic. Not saying it is a better system, both are equally valid. Just depends on personal preference.
>>
>>319225284
>Arcanum
Up until 3/5 of the game you think you are the chosen one, and then BAM, you have to turn into one
>Fallout 2
You are a chosen one
>Gothic
And why did you forget about the second one
>lolsorandom
Yeah, like it lacks consistency and any explanations in game. I would love to hear what you could tell me after reading some Dukaj works
>WoD is bad as for what it is
WoD is said to provide players with a gothic slapstick, and it does it well. Next thing I'll read will probably be shitting on Cthulhu, becasue lol so random unnamable shit.
>forcing memes
Don't tell me that you've grown up on pnp and RPGs
>>
File: moving-the-goalposts-300x2402.jpg (28 KB, 300x240) Image search: [Google]
moving-the-goalposts-300x2402.jpg
28 KB, 300x240
>>319226515
Pic for you

>>319226507
... which is exactly what happens with another publisher, but you lack enough attention span to check a 30 second long sketch
>>
>>319226242
I watched that video and got to

> tough moral choices that had consequences that rippled through the entire gameplay

which clearly means that in addition to being a shit game, WL2 is a failure as a successor since none of the choices have any lasting effects once you leave the area
>>
>>319226784

How is that moving the goalposts? Not even that guy. He said W2's combat was worse than XCOM, then when asked he said XCOM was more robust.
>>
>>319226784
What goalposts did I move, anon? W2's combat is still shit, it's just tedious shit too.
>>
>>319226736
>Missing the point this hard
In all those games you start as nobody. Literally nobody. And I've metioned Fallout, not Fallout 2. Instead you are just switching it all over the place, because god forbits that you finally start proving P:T is actually good. Nah, since that is impossible, you would look better dismissing all my claims, right?

Oh, and this bit:
>forcing memes
>Don't tell me that you've grown up on pnp and RPGs
Absolutely brilliant ad hominem, if everyone was blind and dead to not realise this shit never happend
>>
The people who complain about the first half of the game remind me of people who played Fallout 3 and complained about all of the "retconns" New Vegas made.

If you haven't played Wasteland 1, why the fuck did you play Wasteland 2? You have no excuse to have not beaten Wasteland in this day and age. Go download it from any abandonware site and play it you shitters.
>>
>guard wants 40+ bullets for me to pass
Fuck that shit and kill everyone
>mannerites ask for a hostage
Fuck that its time for blood
>>
>>319225931
Following yours train of thought, BG should be shitted on because it's cliche(like idea of reincarnation being used multiple times in different media). Even more, the world is so used up that it shouldn't have any redeeming qualities.
>>
>>319226551
money talks anon, budget was overall despite huge success.
and the crew ain't getting any younger. the youngsters usually bring revolutionary ideas
>>
>>319227072
He originally made a prepostion that XCOM combat was shit, since that was the worst combat system he could name as comparison.
Which makes it a preposition, as the combat system of XCOM wasn't even bad, not to mention being bad enough to be used as an example of bad combat system.
The very next post it's suddenly just "robust" and somehow entertaining.

In span of two post the 2nd worse combat system in existene is now entertaining and robust
>>
>>319226784
>... which is exactly what happens with another publisher

what does that have to do with what I said?
>>
>>319217706
The only rough part is the combat which was panned right from the get go.
>>
>>319227441
Mate, again, we are not talking about BG, so could you please stay focused on explaining us how the fuck P:T is not a bad game, instead of making shitty comparison and switching the subject?
Protip - you can't
>>
>>319227449
You have no idea what you're talking about. If anyone's moving anything here, it's you.
>>
>>319227449
At no point did he say XCOM was the second worse combat system in existence. In the first post he simply said W2 was worse than XCOM (W2 < XCOM)

Then in the second post he flipped it around and said XCOM was better than W2 (XCOM > W2).

All he did was flip that shit around. No goalposts moved at all.
>>
>>319227465
The Fallout 3 joke happens 30 seconds later after the joke with child publisher who's so young his mom graduated high school in '88.
There must be something really wrong with you when joke not only needs to be explained but also carefully pin-pointed in non-confusing fashion.
>>
>>319225036

For contrast, here's a shot of the DC on my desktop machine.
>>
>>319227194
> If you haven't played Wasteland 1, why the fuck did you play Wasteland 2?

I expected a game that wasn't terrible.

What a fool I was.
>>
>>319214630
It's alright but the story is really meh, you get bored quickly.
>>
>>319227848
>The Fallout 3 joke happens 30 seconds later after the joke with child publisher who's so young his mom graduated high school in '88.

What does that have to do with what I said?

>There must be something really wrong with you when joke not only needs to be explained

At what point did I need a joke explained to me? You didn't explain any jokes at all.
>>
File: 1448411170509.jpg (65 KB, 960x956) Image search: [Google]
1448411170509.jpg
65 KB, 960x956
>>319225516
>short white hair
Lmao she has a fucking afro.
>>
File: 1443619765078s.jpg (4 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1443619765078s.jpg
4 KB, 125x125
>There are people who didn't side with the Diamondback Militia.
>>
>>319225916

The total of your party's charisma scores has to be 22 or higher.

There are several points in the game where you get additional benefits or rewards if your party is very charismatic. A few other recruits will require a high charisma as well, though the green girl's probably one of the most demanding.
>>
This game lacks any character or identity. The setting is just generic post apocalyptic garbage.

At least the original fallouts had an interesting visual style they were going for.

This is just....just totally bland.
>>
>>319228227
>22 or higher
What the fuck, that's like >4 per person.
>>
>>319227748
>At no point did he say XCOM was the second worse combat system in existence
You sure? Let's see then:

>>319226048
>(Wasteland's) The skill system is fucking atrocious and the combat is worse than pretty much any other major tRPG I can think of, even worse than XCOM: EU.
So the point stands clear: W2 combat system is absolutely dog-shit and it's somehow even worse than XCOM:EU. If W2 is the worst shit possible, this puts XCOM:EU as 2nd worse combat system in existence. That's very simple and basic logic, based on preposition

Now the thing that sucks here is the prepostion itself, thus rendering his entire point and argument meaningless.

When caught on the act, he instantly switched the original preposition ("XCOM combat is bad") and seriously toned the argument. Thus was caught on changing the goalpost, while the entire point, from start to finish, was to prove how ungodly bad W2 combat system is. Then why lying, making prepostions and switching goalposts just for that?
>>
File: 1448928942497.jpg (11 KB, 251x260) Image search: [Google]
1448928942497.jpg
11 KB, 251x260
>>319228149
Didn't side with anyone.

I just disarmed the nuke on my own and let all hell break loose.
>>
>>319228149
>There are people who didn't side with DM
>There are people who didn't disarm the warhead
And worst of them all
>There are people who sided with the monks
>>
>>319227136
Listen there grot. Torment has good story and lacks in gameplay department. It gives you this blank sheet that you can fill with any type of morality you want. Nothing stands in your way to be continued a streak of being BBEG. You may also try being a knight in shining armor who would save the day. You don't have to redeem yourself at all. Even better, game isn't judging you. Your decisions are yours. There is not magical good/evil meter. The universe is grey, just as your actions can be interpreted on a few lvls, and that's why it blooms and ppl love it. Yeah it uses thing that were used a dozen of times, but its not telling you how you should treat them and that gives you that special kind of freedom in your actions in game. Just like the answer to the most known quote from this game. You may pick every single one, and it will be only you who could explain why that was your choice.
>>
>>319228314

If you want people to really like your party, you'll need to make sacrifices in other areas.

You can't have everything. Surprise!
>>
>>319228331
You're a fucking mong who's reading much too far into this. It's widely agreed that, as far as tRPGs go, XCOM is considerably dumbed-down compared to its predecessors. In terms of roleplaying options and overall complexity, it manages to be pretty mediocre as far as tRPGs go, but a solid TBS game in its own right. Wasteland is both a shitty tRPG for the reasons described, on top of having terrible combat. You'll also notice I said "major" tRPGs.
>>
why was Divinity so much better than PoE and Wasteland 2
>>
>>319228649
>good story
>Go and die
>Go and don't die
Not the original anon, but if that's what you call "good story", you should totally play Fallout 4. You will love that.
>>
>>319228314
>>319228736
I was actually being a fucking idiot. I meant <4. Which is low-average if you're actually doing an RP build and not treating CHA like the dumpstat it is.
>>
>>319228837
I'm not "reading much too far". I'm just explaining you logical fallacies that were made in the post. Don't know, kids in your country aren't taught basic logic in primary schools so they don't make stupid prepostions later in their lives?
>>
>>319228837
Besides, what do you mean by "it's widerly agreed that..."? That's yet another stupid prepostion. Who widely agrees? Where? Why?

Can't you see what have you done here yet again?
>>
>>319228972

Divinity actually tried to do something well and push the genre forward instead of going

HEY GUY HERE'S THIS THING THAT'S TOTALLY LIKE SOMETHING FROM THE 90'S (and doesn't actually improve on anything despite having decades to figure something out)
>>
>>319229187

Not that guy but at no point did he state or imply that XCOM was the second worst game. You're retarded.
>>
>>319228446
>>319228506
>Disarming the nuke
The whole canyon gets blown up, hundreds od people die, it's in the hands of raiders and bandits.
>Side with diamondback militia
Those militaristic fucks get in power, greedy enough to become a danger to Rangers in not-so-distant future.
>Siding with monks
The canyon remains in a shaky semblance of peace, much like during the cold war.
Theres no obvious way to make this choice right, but the monks are the lesser evil.
>>
>>319229386
> Who widely agrees? Where? Why?

People who can look past the cool animations to see the formulaic RNG simulator underneath
>>
>>319229187
>>319229386
Are you legitimately autistic?
>>
>>319229030
In Torment what matters is the path, not the ending.

And what if I would tell you that I like 1, 2, NV and despise 3 and 4?
>>
>>319229580
>Siding with monks
>The canyon remains in a shaky semblance of peace, much like during the cold war.

You've just proved you didn't play the game. Siding with monks means the nuke gets detonated, wiping everything in the canyon and causing fallout around.
It's the disarming that truly works. And it works best if you side with the DM, wipe monks, go for the nuke and disarm it. This way DM already took over and just lacks the nuke as a deterrent.

Closest thing to a win.
>>
File: miss the point.jpg (6 KB, 235x206) Image search: [Google]
miss the point.jpg
6 KB, 235x206
>>319229890
The only reply that applies at this point
>>
File: 1448162427498s.jpg (2 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1448162427498s.jpg
2 KB, 125x125
>>319228972

PoE had an absolute clusterfuck of a combat system that made it unbearable, plus half of the NPCs in the game are backer-created and are a chore to read, and although the story was alright it wasn't all that compelling. Plus the Od Nua castle-management thing was a joke.

Wasteland 2 (I haven't finished it yet) has a mediocre combat system, and it's story is a little more interesting. It's better overall than PoE, but it's still not a great game.

Divinity Original Sin looks good, has an absolute god-tier soundtrack, and it has a really tight combat system, especially with Tactician mode that makes the AI smarter and harder. Big downside is a shitty story though, luckily that's something Larian says they're fixing is Divinity OS 2.
>>
File: 1443726877775.png (102 KB, 450x443) Image search: [Google]
1443726877775.png
102 KB, 450x443
>>319229580

You haven't actually tried all of those options, have you, Anonymous?
>>
>>319230236
Wasteland 2: Survival of the most average
>>
>>319229463
That's close but not quite right. In reality the devs went:
>Remember those things we liked to make in the 90s? Do you know how easy they would be to make on modern dev tools on modern machines! We could do it with a few months and a few million!
That's all there is too it. It's such a nostalgia trip for the devs because they get to both remember really liking to make these things and then make them far easier than it would have been back in the 90s. It's the perfect setup for them.
>>
File: bf8.jpg (40 KB, 358x310) Image search: [Google]
bf8.jpg
40 KB, 358x310
>>319229580
>He thinks it works like this
>>
>>319230236
what do you mean by a "clusterfuck of a combat sytem"?
>>
>>319229669
Nice switch - directly from logical fallacies to ad hominem. What next? "Your mom" lines?
>>
>>319230050
>You've just proved you didn't play the game.
I did, but only one playthrough, in which I disarmed the nuke without siding with anyone.
But now I gotta replay it.

It's generally a good sign if the game makes you contemplate your decisions.
In this regard Wasteland 2 is fucking great.
>>
>>319223386
Not the guy who you're talking to, but I am an avid tabletop rpg guy.

Generally rolling stats first means I have no concept in mind, and I will come up with one around the numbers I get. IMO its just a method to come up with an idea; mashing random numbers that dont suit a concept up with your idea is foolishness and a trend that has thankfully died out.
>>
>>319228331
>W2 combat system is absolutely dog-shit and it's somehow even worse than XCOM:EU. If W2 is the worst shit possible, this puts XCOM:EU as 2nd worse combat system in existence. That's very simple and basic logic, based on preposition

here's a handy visual aid
>>
>>319230707
Anon, I don't think you know what a logical fallacy is. I said W2 had bad combat compared to other major tRPGs, naming XCOM as a prime example of what's considered by most people here (which is where we're having this lovely little "debate") who actually give a fuck about the genre to be a middling tRPG. When pressed on the matter, I countered that XCOM was at least entertaining and feature robust, where as W2 is neither. There's nothing fallacious about that. You're the person painting everything I say in absolutes, despite my qualifiers. Again, are you autistic?
>>
>>319214630
Needed more shit like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wwwPJJoJPg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp6BvWmP0ts
>>
File: Conversations in Oblivion.gif (894 KB, 320x213) Image search: [Google]
Conversations in Oblivion.gif
894 KB, 320x213
>>319230554

Although I thought Josh Sawyer would do a good job after New Vegas and it's very good combat mechanics, he managed to butcher PoE completely.

>Attributes are broken and you always dump your points into the same thing or else are left with a garbage, impotent character.
>Some classes are wildly overpowered, like druids, while others are borderline useless like paladins and wizards
>Too many characters using spells makes viewing the battlefield and seeing what's happening needlessly difficult
>RTWP

It's shit.
>>
The game is good but I cant imagine what it would be like it only got 900k instead of 3m
>>
File: sophisticated adult.jpg (29 KB, 255x233) Image search: [Google]
sophisticated adult.jpg
29 KB, 255x233
>>319230707
>logical fallacie
>ad hominem
>>
>>319215082
>The DC says it has better models. Is that true?
Yes. Face are also prettier. But well, it's more or less top down / isometric-like view so it don't matter that much
>>
>>319231970
It'd probably just be Arizona.
>>
>>319231829
ok, thanks. I disagree with a couple of your points but I do agree that PoE could've been much better
>>
>>319232281
That sounds awful.
Theres a massive leap in quality when you get to LA
>>
>>319231476
christ I can't believe I'm seeing someone trying to explain basic fucking logic to someone on 4chan

its not the retard that's surprising me, it's you taking the time when he's only going to turn around and go "hurr hurr trolled you"
>>
>>319233613

did you at least notice the filename?
>>
>>319233773
oh, I'm not the guy you were arguing with, but that's amusing
Thread replies: 205
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.