[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is it time to stop this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6
File: doweneedopenworldgames.jpg (87 KB, 624x351) Image search: [Google]
doweneedopenworldgames.jpg
87 KB, 624x351
open worlds decrease fun
>>
>>318790353
I dunno. Many people are still playing GTA V.
>>
Well, they certainly need to be coupled with appropriate designs (ie. high degree of emergence) if you're going to try such a thing.
>>
>>318790353
>bioshock gameplay sucks
>DO WE NEED SHOOTERS?
shooting in games decrease fun
>>
Yes. We should just have open stages/levels rather than a big open world.
>>318792502
The difference is we still get good shooters. There hasn't been a good open world in quite a long time.
>>
>>318792812
Witcher 3 was open world
>inb4 w3 was bad hurr unique opinion
>>
>>318790353
well it most cases devs will make something open world or throw in RPG elements to try and entice the casual player but it's not inherently bad in fact with some genres it's encouraged
>>
>>318790353

Multiplayer takes too much space and time from the product.

>do we need multiplayer?

Multiplayer in games decrease time and effort put into the story and gameplay.
>>
>>318790353

A properly fleshed out open world game can be a lot of fun, in ways that a linear game cannot.

This does not mean that open worlds are well suited to all games, and even when they are well suited to a game, there still needs to be compelling content and mechanics to make use of the open world.
>>
>>318790353
Only if you play them
>>318792812
Yeah, big levels are the thing.

Would gladly take more linear games with huge and open ended levels than more openworld Bethesda shit where the world is enormous and seamless but the biggest thing you are going to find is a hut
>>
>open worlds decrease fun
>open worlds are bad
This is just corporate propaganda to justify them not doing something that requires effort and care.
>>
>yfw I love open world games and I happy to see so many of them
>>
>>318794762
>Implying ubisoft put effort or care into their games
>>
>>318792812
What good shooters?
>>
File: 1441476961277.png (73 KB, 201x319) Image search: [Google]
1441476961277.png
73 KB, 201x319
>>318790353
Linearity decreases fun
No music decreases fun
No fun decreases fun
>>
>>318794949
I never said they did. I'm saying companies like them will try to say the things they don't do well were not needed afterall, as some vain justification for them sucking at something.
>>
>>318795002
>No fun decreases fun
I beg to differ.
>>
>>318790353
open world is just corporate spin for padding. name any game that has open world that isnt just incredibly shallow filler that is spread out so much that you dont realize how poor each separate system of the game is.
>>
>>318792812
There hasn't been any good racing games in a LOOOONG time
>>
>>318794397
no it doesnt you faggot, most devs have different people doing the multiplayer so it doesnt influence the story in any way
>>
>>318795125
Assetto Corsa, if we're talking about sim-ish ones.
>>
Some games pull it off incredibly well. Games like Gothic 2 for example or morrowind. Games that weren't affected by dumbed down mechanics and had alot of love poured into them.
>>
Open world with good gameplay is all i need.In the case of the witcher 3 other elements carried it but give me the emptiest open world with good gameplay and i will like it
>>
File: extreme_lel.jpg (17 KB, 340x314) Image search: [Google]
extreme_lel.jpg
17 KB, 340x314
>>318795423
>sim racing
>good
Its because of these type of games that there doesn't exist good racing games anymore, now its just glorified boring driving simulators
>>
File: bloodborne_full_map_no_lantern_1.jpg (186 KB, 1029x1200) Image search: [Google]
bloodborne_full_map_no_lantern_1.jpg
186 KB, 1029x1200
>>318792502
good open world
>>
>>318795528
This, love is the answer. And that's how undertale is getting its fanbase, because game was made by someone who genuinely wanted to make a game first and money later.
>>
>>318795819
I dont think Bloodborne is an open world game,its levels are just connected
>>
Open world is bad for pure action games, and better for everything else. It just also takes a literal army of staff with general experience and talent, and highly experienced and talented senior developers to do it right. Hence why Rockstar is awesome but many other open world devs are total shit.

But not just games where you explore an open world. Consider the following: Civilization is a series of open world strategy games. As is XCom, the old ones moreso than the new one. Open world means larger scale with more free navigation. It's only natural that games will go in two directions, more open and enveloping or more focused and intense. In the long run, they will be both.
>>
>>318796423
Just Cause 2?
>>
File: B002I0GF72_boat.jpg (94 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
B002I0GF72_boat.jpg
94 KB, 1024x576
literally the only open world game that actually felt like an open world
>>
>>318796582
Wow look at that vibrant open world filled with amazing locations everywhere
>>
>>318796554
What about it? Just Cause definitely is not a pure action game. You can fuck around with general impunity, pure action games are out to kill you over and over.
>>
>>318795819
Souls games actually have a decent map. It would be great if a WRPG would adopt those and throw in a few towns / safe routes for the beginning.
>>
>>318796689
>anon tries to be sarcastic but its actually true
>>
>>318796292
It isn't. It's segmented world design that utilizes a single connecting path to give the illusion of an open world.

You can see the design in Demons Souls in each world. The way Dark Souls 1, 2, and Bloodborne connect each level is the same way that Demons Souls did it within each area. Bloodborne went back to having a hub world however that functioned similarly to the archestones, just with the actually game worlds connected instead of separated like the archestones were.
>>
>>318790353
Just because a genre goes through a dry spell of not so amazing games doesn't mean it's utterly incapable of ever having good games in it again.
>>
I wouldn't say that all Open World games suck the problem is just that nowadays everything has to be open world and it shows. I played Black Mesa a couple of months agon and it is quite sad how a game from 1998 has better leveldesign than A LOT of modern games.

Making everything openworld and just adding completely linear dungeons for story missions is bullshit and the gameplay suffers because of it.
>>
>>318796423
Rational comments? Coherence?

You are too good for here, run while you still can!
>>
>>318797516
In games like the Elder Scrolls, you have to look at its roots. It's trying to be Darklands in 3D and that in itself is outdated.
>>
The three 'openworld known' companys like Ubisoft, Rockstar and Bethesda are all shit now
Fallout 4 is garbage, most of Ubisofts games apart from Far Cry 4 are now shit and GTA Online is the worst thing Rockstar could update
>>
the only way I like open world is with a deep sandbox and other people

if I'm playing solo in something story driven then just put me where I need to be
>>
>>318797725
Too late brah.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.