[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Growing up I was strictly a Nintendo handheld gamer and am now
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 8
File: psp_3000.png (104 KB, 362x261) Image search: [Google]
psp_3000.png
104 KB, 362x261
Growing up I was strictly a Nintendo handheld gamer and am now considering buying an original PSP. Any advice? What games should I get? Is it worth it,?
>>
I'm sure your shitbox pc or phone can emulate the original psp fine, it's a waste of money now
>>
File: PSP_Reccomended_Games[1].jpg (2 MB, 1087x3975) Image search: [Google]
PSP_Reccomended_Games[1].jpg
2 MB, 1087x3975
>>318758094

You can get PSPs really cheap these days, and they're super easy to CFW and pirate all the games. You can get a 32GB memory card and an adaptor then you're all set.
As for games, there's plenty.

Also, remember that PPSSPP exists and still works well on toasters. So try that.
>>
As far as I know, that can be an emulator monster. I think it even plays PS1 games natively (maybe that's the Vita).
I'd recommend it for the controls.
>>
Question, why is pirating so encouraged when it comes to the PSP? Then I see people get offended when 3DS pirating is discussed.
>>
>>318758094
its still one of the best handhelds to buy a decade later for emulation. They've almost achieved fullspeed in n64 emulation too at that on that ancient hardware.

LoZ:OOT runs fullspeed too until there are a lot of particles.

That said though, >>318758202 a decent android device will emulate the same systems better, including the psp itself. Just plug up a ps3 controller via bluetooth and go. Buying a psp now is a waste of money.
>>
>>318758390

The PSP is no longer relevant.
>>
If you buy it, which you should, don't buy the "original" psp (the 1000), get the 2000

it is absolutely worth it, for $80 bucks or $100 brand new, you can get the greatest portable emulator of all time. Everything up to 4th gen plus ps1 games, gbc/gba games, psp games, you'll never be hurting for something to play, and the emulators are all great except for some of the more obscure ones

plus, it has a bunch of hidden gems as well
>>
>>318758458
>android device
>Just plug up a ps3 controller via bluetooth and go.
>>
>>318758509
And? Tons of games on Steam are old as hell yet people still buy them. Since when does age matter? Not like the 3DS has entered anywhere past the PSP was.
>>
File: 1446186953201.jpg (222 KB, 570x420) Image search: [Google]
1446186953201.jpg
222 KB, 570x420
>>318758525
>you can get the greatest portable emulator of all time
Its not 2006 anymore.
>>
>>318758538
It's called Bluetooth, anon. There are apps for that.
>>
>>318758594
Because sales on Steam still give money to the devs. No new PSP games are made, so only Gamestop gets money for it.
>>
>>318758094
You can emulate PSP at 1080p on your PC, even a toaster can do it.
>>
>>318758538
are you stupid? I have a fucking nexus 5 which I use for gaming when I'm working a long shift. You can pair your ps3 controller to the phone bluetooth natively and it just works right out of the box.

Try it faggot.
>>
>>318758594
You shouldnt buy games on steam when the original developer doesnt exist anymore.
>>
>>318758683
Emulating handhelds on a stationary device is fucking dumb. Even if I play all my handhelds in my house, I sure as fuck don't play them on my computer chair
>>
>>318758656
>>318758694
Using a fucking separate controller ruins the aspect of portability. Might as well use your PC if you want to use a huge controller on a small screen.
>>
>>318758659
Fair enough, I would say digital purchases but I think they are closing the PSP digital store.
>>
>>318758641
are you implying that there is a better one? and I swear to god if you say phone
>>
>>318758835
>Emulating handhelds on a stationary device is fucking dumb
Why, does it alter the gameplay in some way? Is sticking to 240p PSP resolution a good thing?
>>
>>318758937
Get any fucking chink portable for 100$ and you're set.
Shit runs PSP and emulates SNES much better than the PSP.
>>
>>318758957
240p is the 3DS resolution

The PSP renders at 480 × 272.

Yes, the 3DS is that much of a piece of shit.
>>
>>318758957
Gameplay is 99% designed to be played in short bursts. Handheld gaming is different.
>>
>>318758390
fanboys

everyone who has a psp has one precisely to be a homebrew/piracy machine

however, nintendo has a vocal group of fanboys who defend them at every opportunity (i'm not trying to start shit, it's probably like 5% of the userbase) and while the Nintendo piracy scene is huge, that one guy who announces when he's informed nintendo of copyright infringement is dedicated enough that you see a misrepresentative opinion on piracy

also, the 3ds is a lot less niche, meaning a larger userbase of casual gamers so obviously moralfags will be more present just by virtue of a larger userbase
>>
>play Portable 3rd at 9x rendering resolution

Feels good man. Download PPSSPP for your PC OP, you won't regret it.
>>
File: 1322531108494.png (265 KB, 334x393) Image search: [Google]
1322531108494.png
265 KB, 334x393
>>318759212
Get a load of this fanboy trying to call other fanboys while completely ignoring that every Vita owner here defends the memory card prices because "its to prevent piracy which killed the PSP".
>>
>>318758390
NDS piracy was huge back in the day. It's likely babbies whose first handheld was the 3ds.
>>
File: 13.jpg (160 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
13.jpg
160 KB, 640x480
>>318759231
>3rd
>>
>>318759356
That would explain why so much shit taste is accompanied with the 3DS scene.
>>
>>318759358
I can look past whatever flaws it has since it's my first MonHun.

I kinda want to try FU afterwards, but it's a generation behind and I'm worried that there might be clunkiness that is off-putting.
>>
>>318759123
Jesus fucking Christ.

I had wondered why many PSP games look graphically equal to 3DS games.
>>
>>318759454
Third is actually pretty great, ignore the pleb.

Unite is the best in the series though. 4U is pretty good too, but I think its a lot more casual and is not nearly as fleshed out. I got bored of it in a month.
>>
>>318759123

That makes it better for emulation, mind.
>>
>>318759454
FU is much clunkier, but its alright because it got tons of content, isnt mega fucking easy and offers monsters and areas that arent in the third gen.

3U and 4U are better picks these days though.
3rd is redundant.

>>318759556
>Third is actually pretty great
And you call others plebs.
>>
>>318759508
I think the worst part is it took the PSP a few years to shake the "everything is a low detail chibi" for most of its games. Sony pushed for full models and tons of games looked fucking good.

The 3DS is just plagued with lazy design and people seem to excuse it endlessly.
>>
>>318759289
>every Vita owner here defends the memory card prices because "its to prevent piracy which killed the PSP

there's a difference between defending it and figuring their reasoning for it. One of the reasons Sony still indulged in proprietary memory, beyond pure nickel and diming, is that piracy was a major factor in the downfall of psp software (although hardware sales soared)

However, it's disgusting and nobody defends the memory, every sane vita owner (most of them) acknowledges how slimy it is but we value the entertainment we can derive from it to be more than the cost of the memory stick

if you actually see someone advocating increased utilization of proprietary memory, they are without exception a payed shill so feel free to ignore them
>>
>>318758289
Lumines a shit.
>>
>>318758094
BEST HANDHELD CONSOLE when cracked

comfy times were had
Didn't play any weeb games and had tons of fun.
>>
>>318759631
i never put much thought into that but holy shit, i'm so tired of seeing chibi, psp games rushed to get away from that, advent core and type 0 look fucking amazing, so why can't devs of 3ds games make something that looks like that?
>>
>>318758289
>Brave Story

Oh, I remember playing that. It was the most generic piece of shit JRPG I've ever seen. I can't see how anyone would consider it good under any circumstances.
>>
>>318759289
I don't know a single person beyond shitposting anons that defend memory prices on the Vita. I have a 64GB and 32GB card for my Vita and I still think its shitty.

No one defends it, they merely seek alternatives or bite the bullet and move on. It's the people that keep bringing it up like its going to solve anything is an issue.

People try to find reason in it still, which isn't necessarily defending, there hasn't been a single person happy to have spent more money than they should have, people just like to bring it up as a point an annoyance because they are too cheap to afford the convenience of one.
>>
>>318759854
There's a ton of non-chibi, high poly models across the PSP. Sony was at the front with stuff like Syphon Filter Dark Mirror and such.

I feel like in a lot of cases, with the market and all, a lot of 3DS titles may have been late DS/planned mobile games. I can't think of anything else.
>>
File: 1445009205296.jpg (50 KB, 797x621) Image search: [Google]
1445009205296.jpg
50 KB, 797x621
>>318759876
>>318759668
>if someone bitches about 3DS piracy its all fans of the system
>if someone defends vita memory cards its shills or shitposters
>>
>>318759997
Okay, logically, how would a higher price memory card benefit anyone? People are tired of bringing up the same old problems. It's like saying you hate the N64 controller design and bring it up in every N64 thread, ever. People will start to find ways to make you fuck off.

Listen, no one cares if you take issue in it, but I don't think any type of expense can or should be defended.

The 3DS is defended, likely more, because of the childish fanbase. Pirating has a direct effect on software because they want to pay for it to support Nintendo and want more localizations. It makes sense. But to say they are not vocal is bullshit.
>>
>>318759997
fanboy is a derogatory term with a specific usage meant to denote irrational extremism

fanboys and fans are not synonymous. The only difference between a fanboy and a shill is that fanboys sincerely believe the bullshit they spew and don't get paid. Fans are just people who like something
>>
go for the psp go, it's got 32 gb of storage built in and with custom firmware it's like an incredibly portable, aesthetically pleasing emulation and gaming machine. library is fantastic, some of the best handheld games of all time in my opinion. definitely worth the 60ish bucks it costs to grab one.
>>
>>318760273

16GB actually.
>>
>>318759997
Do you remember during the initial crack of the 3DS how there were a few people spamming in those threads to report piracy to Nintendo? Or people making arguments on "But youll never have this awesome collection of white plastic?" etc. I'm pretty sure that makes sense.
>>
>>318759631
The psp used to port the Lego games over from consoles, but for some reason started using DS ports at some point. The load times were attrocious to boot the game up (just recently booted up legp starwars 2 after 4 years and it took about 5 or 6 minutes to load the main menu and another 5 or 6 to load the hub world) but it runs fine after that.
>>
File: mfw.jpg (20 KB, 206x216) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
20 KB, 206x216
>>318760228
>people who defend vita memory cards saying its an anti piracy measure are reasonable posters who are just sick of valid concerns being brought up
>people who are against piracy on 3ds systems are childish fanboys
Hypocrisy at its finest.
>>
>>318760646
The truth is, the 3DS has younger demographics that act like retarded brats. The memory card issue is entirely separate from that, and hey, you can't really argue with results. The Vita isn't exactly hacked at all.

You claim people were defending the memory cards in the same sort of way as people spazzing and reporting shit to Nintendo, but you've yet to lay down any sort of evidence. I think they are entirely different beasts to begin with.
>>
>>318760646
he's not saying that at all though, he's saying the people who defend the proprietary memory are scum, just like people who dick ride for nintendo

very rarely do you see people seriously defending (not just contemplating why they did it, but actually supporting Sony in their scheme and saying prop. mem is a good thing)

but there are people who genuinely tattle to nintendo when a new advancement is made in hacking the wii u/3ds/any other system of old and vehemently moralfag at people for pirating
>>
>>318760273
I found the ergonomics of the PSP Go to be inferior to the regular PSPs.

Its more portable, but it comes at a cost.

>>318760938
>The truth is shit I pulled out of my ass now let me ignore that people justified the biggest anti consumer bullshit practice because of anti piracy
>I also demand proof even though I acknowledge that these people exist

>>318761087
People moralfag about the Vita all the time.
They urge you to update which closes exploits all the time.
There is no need to pretend like they are any different.

And you definitely see people defending the memory cards in every single thread they are brought up.
>>
>>318759975
>a lot of 3DS titles may have been late DS/planned mobile games

That's certainly true for some games, just look at Pokemon XY and its pixelated to fuck textures.

I'm not sure the old 3DS is more powerful than PSP. KH3D looks graphically the same as BBS, but it has way more FPS drops.

And then they tried to run MGS3 on the 3DS and it ran at about 15 FPS.
>>
>>318761332
The 3DS is definitely more powerful.
It effectively renders the same image twice to keep 3D going.
They pretty much sacrificed higher possible resolutions for the 3D gimmick.
>>
>>318758094
Get a PSP for no more than 50€
You can play GBA, PS1, N64 games on it too

The vita feels much more comfortable, too bad you can't emulate on it
>>
>>318761292
where the fuck are you seeing these people moralfagging about the vita? I've never seen a single person urge anyone to update their vita, and no, I don't see anyone defending the memory cards. In fact, you can see plainly in this very thread that their are two people vehemently demonizing it, in addition to yourself, and not a single word of support for the memory cards. Either you're misinterpreting indifference towards the extortionist price of the memory cards in favor of playing vita games as "defending," or you have severe selective reading and see one dumbass say PROP MEM IS LE GOOD THING IT KEEPS POOR PEOPLE FROM TOUCHING THE GLORIOUS VITA and incorporate that into your perception of how the vita is recieved.

In both cases, step back and open your eyes because your vision is skewed
>>
>>318761684
>They pretty much sacrificed higher possible resolutions for the 3D gimmick.

Wish they didn't desu.
>>
just get the vita and buy the PSP games from PSN.
>>
>>318761915
>just buy the system that ISN'T blown open and spend more money on software than you would on just getting the psp
>>
File: 189.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
189.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>318761915
>buy psp games
>>
>>318761759
This is just one thread, and not even a Vita thread.
Not once have I said that its happening in this thread and I have also not said that absolutely everybody defends it.

You tell me to step back and open my eyes but you are completely oblivious to how people argue in these threads.
You say that these people dont exist but at the same time you're making an epic strawman out of their posts right now.

>>318761806
It was a terrible decision.
>>
>>318762047
so show me the thread in which it is being defended. The way this thread is is how every vita/psp thread I've seen goes in relation to this topic, every vita thread I have ever in my life seen is devoid of proponents of proprietary memory, and just saying "just look around you" isn't good enough because there isn't anyone defending the shit you're saying. In fact, I swear I've had this exact argument more times than I've seen people defend it, and until you can link me the non-blatant troll thread in which someone goes full autist and tells you to support memory stick duo, i'lll have to remain steadfast in my view that your vision of /v/ or even anyone's stance on it is in any part supportive
>>
>>318762571
* in any part supportive is obscured or severely out of touch
>>
>>318758906
The majority of the PSP library can be purchased on PSN and played on the Vita though.
>>
>>318762571
Think what you want, I wont go through the archives for this shit now.

Maybe you should think about why you are having this argument that often instead. Maybe people arent out to get you.
>>
Is this the most homebrewed system ever? I think I was the only one with a PSP back then that wasn't hacked. Literally everyone used it to emulate anything while I pretended there were actually any good games for it. I ended up selling it, and then all the good games came out for it.
>>
>>318759289

>defending account locked memory cards with no direct way to transfer shit off them, you instead have to install a shitty application on your pc

I own a Vita and the memory cards are easily the worst thing about them, next to the shitty european psn store
>>
>>318762823
i don't expect you to dig through the archives, i'm telling you though that unless you can clearly identify blatant fanboyism over these memory cards on /v/ on a regular basis, you should not jump to conclusions that anyone is defending it and use it to enforce some kind of us vs. them mindset

I'm having this argument so often because people like you refuse to justify your worldview not only to other but to themselves and fall back onto "well I done seen it once so it must be" rationalization.
>>
MOD THAT SHIT.

Perfect emulator box yo
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.