[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Own 40% of the digital PC market >Everything else is split
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: steam-3d-logo[1].jpg (9 KB, 668x190) Image search: [Google]
steam-3d-logo[1].jpg
9 KB, 668x190
>Own 40% of the digital PC market
>Everything else is split off between dozens of services
>Many AAA games require Steam to be installed
>Most vendors sell you Steam codes anyway, so its not like they are really competing.

Why has no other service been able to compete with Steam?
>>
>>318751354
since steam has a good service and knows how to fight piracy well
>>
>>318751607
Perhaps, but how is Steam so much better/different than other services like Origin,/Uplay/Desura, etc?

And what about GoG, which actually offers games with no DRM at all?
>>
Because steam has the best e-dick shower model

it's like facebook with games
>>
Steam works on all my devices.
My primary Linux PC.
My Macbook Pro.
Even my Windows Tablet.

Most other services only really support my tablet and I don't really use anything other than my PC for gaming.
>>
>>318751354
Because they entered the market when steam already had established itself long ago.
>>
>>318752719
They had opportunities to target markets that Steam wasn't. Linux users, or fans of Japanese games, but none of them were willing to take risks or pursue unproven markets and so Valve was the first to get those markets as well.

To put this in perspective, niche markets like Linux users may only be 1% of the Steam user base, but most other services are largely in the 5-10 million user range instead of somewhere north of 125 million users. So if they had gotten the Linux market instead of Valve it would be more like a 10% or even 20% boost.
>>
>>318752024
Because Gaben actually gave a shit about video games.
>>
>>318752024
Origin is an EA-only joke, might as well ask about Battle.net.
UPlay is just GFWL for Ubisoft.
Desura is Literally-Who-Tier

GoG is solid, but were a bit slow getting into the modern-games-game (aside from like the Witcher), and DRM-free means they have a more limited catalog.
I'd argue they still have an excellent catalog, but unless you're part of the niche market that absolutely can't stand any level of DRM and/or absolutely adores older games, there's no real reason to switch from Steam.
>>
>>318754058
The funny thing is that EA and Blizzard were both well positioned to compete against Valve they've just missed their opportunities to grow their markets and in Blizzard's case they recently even abandoned markets they used to be strong in to Valve.

EA has wanted to be a platform owner for years, and they weren't badly positioned to do what Valve has done with SteamOS. Their game engines support Mantle which means they'd work with Vulkan on Linux, and Origin is coded in QT which is best known as the Linux desktop toolkit used by KDE. If they had taken initiative several years ago it might be Origin Machines from several vendors that are selling out.

Blizzard on the other hand has traditionally had a lock on the UNIX/OpenGL gaming market. When Valve entered that market however Blizz ignored them and made no moves to counter them. Ceding first the Linux gamers who Blizzard never officially acknowledged but Valve gave full support to, and now abandoning the Apple market as well. They've gone from being in charge of their own fate, to being yet another console first third party dev who treats open platforms as an afterthought.
>>
Desura is kill btw
>>
>>318752170
this desu senpai
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.