[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this that bad? Enjoyed the other 2 expansions but heard the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 10
File: sc2-legacy-of-the-void.jpg (276 KB, 1200x630) Image search: [Google]
sc2-legacy-of-the-void.jpg
276 KB, 1200x630
Is this that bad? Enjoyed the other 2 expansions but heard the new expansion is dogshit.
>>
>>318744751
No, it's actually pretty great.
Story, while typical space magic new Blizzard puts out, is still miles better than WoL and HotS.
Campaign missions are a blast, difficulty is higher for the most part (played on Brutal + all chievos). If anything there are maybe too many missions with hold/destroy x points on map.
Overall I can highly recommend it.
>>
So what does it contribute to the base game?
>>
>>318745549
22 new campaign missions.
I believe 7 Co-Op missions.
Multiplayer changes, new units, faster early game, some micro intensive shit you had to do manually was automated (Chrono Boost for example is not energy based anymore, instead you have a 5 sec or so timeout on putting it on different buildings).
Automated tournaments as well.
So in essence what any proper expansion does.
>>
>>318744751
the campaign itself is more "epic" and better cutscene direction both in engine and CG.
it loses a bit of the charme that characters brought to wings of liberty.
but it is better than heart of the swarm for sure.
and yea multiplayer wise it seems a little split on wether people like it or not.
>>
campaign is good
>>
>>318744751
its good son.
>>
>>318745490
>Story, while typical space magic new Blizzard puts out, is still miles better than WoL and HotS.
>Artanis barely resembles his SC1 personality and appearance at all
>Zeratul still acts like a prissy faggot just because he saw some bad things happening
>Kerrigan corrupted herself again, then became space God to fight space Cthulhu in space Hell
>Then she uncorrupted herself again and moved to jump on Raynor's dick even though he should despise her because of what she did

The story is the same shit about redemption and corruption that Metzen has been putting into WoW for the last five years. It's awful.
>>
>>318744751
The story is a huge piece of shit so you're essentially paying top dollar for some shitty units and MP.
>>
>>318747101
And two totally rad game modes

Don't be such a dick Anon
>>
>>318744751
It's great dude, so fucking fun. The ending no so great, such as 90% of games deal with it.
>>
>>318745747
Alright, it's just that I see most talk is just about the campaign
>>
>>318747261
I see the fine shills of blizz are at work. How's thing's going at blizz hq now that WOW is declining?
>>
>>318747723
>the game is not /v/ approved, stop enjoying it you shill!
>>
>>318744751
The multiplayer is good if you believe that 'real time' means 'too fast to react or make decisions'.

The multiplayer is bad if you believe strategy and player input is an important aspect of an RTS game.
>>
>>318747723
>I've got nothing to ad to this thread, time to shitpost
>>
They made the multiplayer faster and people had to change their build orders so now they're mad.
>>
>>318747818
>the multiplayer is good if I can play it well
>the multiplayer is bad if I can't play it well
kek
>>
File: 1216746652651.jpg (107 KB, 437x333) Image search: [Google]
1216746652651.jpg
107 KB, 437x333
>>318745490
>Story, while typical space magic new Blizzard puts out, is still miles better than WoL and HotS.

get the fuck out
>>
>>318748165
Nice argument there my dear storyfag.
>>
>>318744751
Well the second one was absolutely the worst, so if you enjoyed that, you'll probably like this.
>>
>>318744751
It wasn't the worst game I ever played or anything so dramatic, the real crime of this particular expansion and the rest of starcraft 2 is that it's basically completely forgettable in every aspect.
>>
>>318744751
I unironically enjoyed both the gameplay and the story and liked the ending.

Cheesy or not, it was nice.
>>
>>318748587
my nigga
>>
>>318744751
i like the coop mode

zagara felt like i was playing wc3 again

more missions or survival mode would be nice though
the missions are so fucking boring
>>
I have not played an rts in 10 years and even then I didn't play much. Is it worth picking this up for just a casual experience? Blizzard single player stuff is usually pretty good at hand holding.
>>
>>318748998
campaign is great

pirate it if you just want the single player
>>
>>318745490
The campaign is a fucking joke, it's awful and straight up much worse than WoL.

Spear of Adun abilities are a broken gimmick that ruin the RTS mechanics, every mission tells you not to go destroy enemy bases and chase after other random objectives instead, enemies aren't built, they just spawn in on the map meaning there's no point in doing anything but building a massive death-ball of the strongest units and a-moving to win.

And that's not even mentioning the horrendous story.

Multiplayer is a joke now too, everyone hated widowmines in HotS, so Blizzard figured they'd give it massive buffs and give it to Protoss in the form of the disruptor, turning every game into a match of dodge the disruptor balls and whoever fails first loses the game, nothing else matters.
>>
>>318749241
So, you played it on Normal?
>>
>>318749241
the dude just wants a casual experience

its fine for someone like him
>>
>>318749139
Thanks will do
>>
>>318749241
Oh forgot to add it's also the first time I've seen massive game-breaking bugs in the campaign. On the mission with Alarak and his duel the game bugged out, freezing Alarak in place right near the finish line and the enemy kept spawning infinity units, at some point literally half the map was covered in Protoss units trying to bump through each other to get to Alarak who still wouldn't move, the game crashed shortly after.

And in the epilogue (good god that was awful) the void thrashers that are supposed to come for you bugged out, got stuck and never attacked.
>>
>>318749312
>>318749424
not him, but you can go Coloss/Void and obliterate 90% of the missions in the game, even in Brutal
>>
>>318749312
Haha, no. Even on Brutal it's a fucking joke anon, but please, by all means, share with the class where you struggled so we can collectively laugh at you for being awful.
>>
>>318744751
the epilogue is awful
>>
>>318749312

I'm not him but I managed to rape the enemy bases in most maps on brutal thanks to Spear of Adun's abilities. Some of them are OP as fuck.

But like he said, it doesn't matter. Enemies spawn out of nothingness and they are just sent to attack you. It's fucking retarded and lazy as fuck from the developer. Also the new units never appear in the campaign which is also bullshit.

The campaign was average at best.
>>
I didn't have an issue with it. It was an acceptable end to the StarCraft saga in my opinion.
It wasn't amazing, but it wasn't terrible. 6.5/10, it met my expectations and gave me the resolution I desired out of it.

But then, I'm not a buffoon who expects a whole lot out of Blizzard these days.
>>
>>318747907
>play it well
You mean do what Blizzard designed to be the only viable option because the player shouldn't have a choice? Have fun with that one-build-per-matchup meta three months from now.
>>
>>318749992
Well suffice to say I expected the worst and I was still let down, the game literally just rips off some of the worst shit from Bioware at this point

>Amon constantly taunting Artannis as if he's Harbinger, even though Artannis is literally nobody to him and he really has no fucking reason to care
>Game ends with a magic colored beam of light ending the threat of an ancient galactic scourge
>Has absolutely nothing at all to do with anything that happened before, all the events of SC1 are entirely irrelevant to the overall plot of SC2 now
>"We must all stand together against this threat"
>The bad guys in the first part where just corrupted by the evil reaper code... wait wrong game, evil Amon influence
>Kerrigan was a human, a species that had nothing to do with the Xel'naga, yet her existence right down to her specific appearance was present in an ancient Xel'naga prophecy detailing how the big bad guy would be defeated
>Kerrigan is literally weaker than Artannis in LotV, and is a random mix of bullshit elements, yet she's the one that can be the only one to ascend to Xel'naga for... reasons?

Fuck this story was retarded, it blew all my expectations right out of the water.
>>
The story is utterly retarded but it that's mostly because it has to follow on from WoL/HoTS, it's not that bad if you ignore Kerrigan going SSJ1 and stuff.

Blizzard tried too hard to make every mission not "build base, build army, crush enemy" to the point where a standard RTS mission without a timer would have been a change of pace. Too many "destroy the crystals" and defense missions.

Some of the characters are cool, Alarak is evil but not a faggot about it like say, Amon is and Rohana has a great ass, seriously.

Co-op is interesting, but commanders are uneven
>>
>>318750625
>Alarak
it helps that's he's MOTHERFUCKING Q
>>
>>318750437
>>Amon constantly taunting Artannis as if he's Harbinger, even though Artannis is literally nobody to him and he really has no fucking reason to care
Amon's shown to be a prideful dick who taunts anyone who will listen.
>>Game ends with a magic colored beam of light ending the threat of an ancient galactic scourge
That's not really that big of a deal.
>>Has absolutely nothing at all to do with anything that happened before, all the events of SC1 are entirely irrelevant to the overall plot of SC2 now
The only relevant events to begin with were Kerrigan's creation and Duran's Durans. They took the plot in a completely different direction by WoL, expecting it to 180 back with LotV is absurd.
>>"We must all stand together against this threat"
Well yes, the point was they lost their spacemagic unity and had to practice real unity. It's hamfisted and basic, but I would not consider it intrinsically a negative.
>>The bad guys in the first part where just corrupted by the evil reaper code... wait wrong game, evil Amon influence
Wasn't that covered in HotS?
>>Kerrigan was a human, a species that had nothing to do with the Xel'naga, yet her existence right down to her specific appearance was present in an ancient Xel'naga prophecy detailing how the big bad guy would be defeated
Future scrying was established in WoL too.
>>Kerrigan is literally weaker than Artannis in LotV, and is a random mix of bullshit elements, yet she's the one that can be the only one to ascend to Xel'naga for... reasons?
I think you're just referring to gameplay here. Storyline-wise, Kerrigan's still far stronger. (Kerrigan in LotV is also far weaker than she was at the end of HotS. It's balance's sake, presumably.)

Your complaints seem to be more about SC2 et al, not just LotV. I didn't even like it that much, but these are pretty hollow.
>>
File: zerglings.jpg (79 KB, 500x272) Image search: [Google]
zerglings.jpg
79 KB, 500x272
>love RTS multiplayer
>love learning about different builds and strategies
>not actually total garbage, have potential to git gud
>can feel myself getting better as I climb the ladder
>horrible ladder anxiety
>can never actually make myself play multi because of it
>>
The story is just as bad as HotS and the ending was actually more disappointing than motherfucking Mass Effect 3.

0/5 for story.
Gameplay is the same and the multiplayer is still dead.

Buy it if you like the gameplay.
>>
>>318751013
Oh, don't exaggerate like that.
ME3 was far, far worse than Kerrigod's magical freedom beam.
>>
>>318750437
This is about how I felt about the Epilogue as well. Exactly.
>>
>Tassadar is a ghost merged with the overmind
>"ZERATUL, THE OVERMIND WAS THE GOOD GUY ALL ALONG"

Wow, how can this get any worse

>"ARTANIS, I AM THE XEL'NAGA"

Bravo Bliz.
>>
>>318750894
Ladder anxiety literally exists because SC2 is too luck-based. The player has no feeling of control and it has created a phenomenon of dread that barely exists in other multiplayer games, the "Will the game allow me to win?".
>>
>>318751307
But the Tassadar ghost was a ruse. Tassadar is dead and has been dead for a long time.
>>
>>318750804
>Amon's shown to be a prideful dick
Yes, what an amazing character, a little child who can't help but taunt the flies he's swatting. Fuck off.

>That's not really that big of a deal
Really? If all you have to say is a big load of nothing, just keep quiet.

>They took the plot in a completely different direction by WoL
With WoL you could still assume Raynor was putting up with it all because of the prophecy, by HotS that was shattered, but it's also major lore and themes that got revised, things like the dark templar still yearning for Aiur (why the fuck weren't they helping with retating Aiur?) or the fact that Kerrigan was in control of all the zerg at the end of BW (except the ones on Aiur, apparently?) honestly why even bother calling it SC2? It's an entirely separate story and even taking it as such it's awful.

>Wasn't that covered in HotS
Yes, it was.

>Future scrying was established in WoL too
Hardly, in WoL it was suggested that the Overmind was aware of Amon and was using Kerrigan as a tool to subvert his plans, the prophecies that Zeratul pursued were about Amon exclusively, which still made some sense, the Xel'naga sealed him away and basically just left warnings that he might one day break free.

>I think you're just referring to gameplay here
Well no, even in cinematic Artannis is shown being stronger, but let's assume you're right and it's merely for show, it still doesn't add up to Kerrigan being the best candidate for ascension, not only had she been corrupted before, as is seen at the end of HotS the corruption still persists (the artifact having influence over her, and Mengsk's death-field working on her when it did nothing to the actual pure zerg)

But yea, I addressed major problems in the overall story and not LotV exclusively, but the main thing here is that LotV had a chance to address and subvert these problems and just didn't.
>>
>>318751363
>It's okay guys, he was only pretending to be Tassadar!
Honestly that kind of makes it worse. Zeratul was a fucking ancient sage in SC1 speaking of shit like the death of stars and galaxies that he had witnessed, now he was a rambling old coot who's defining character trait is being extremely gullible.
>>
File: waynesworld.jpg (27 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
waynesworld.jpg
27 KB, 300x400
>>318744751
Everything minus the story is pretty great desu.
>>
File: Well I still would.jpg (283 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Well I still would.jpg
283 KB, 1920x1080
>>318751323
It's not luck-based at all. I'd say the real issue is that because of the terrible, terrible damage that happens in SC2, people are worried that a single mistake can lose a 20 minute game.

>>318751619
He also says FRIEND RAYNOR a lot.
>>
>Artanis and the dwarf bro finally decipher the meaning behind the Keystone
>It took one of the most skilled (assumingly) Protoss forgesmiths greatest efforts to make sense of it, and even then he was unsure
>The Keystone that was the subject of a constant source of mystery in WoL
>The Keystone Zeratul died for
>It leads to a place in the middle of fucking no where IN SPACE that even the Protoss did not think was capable of sustaining life

>Kerrigan is just already there, no reason given

WWWWWEWWW

LADDDD
>>
>>318751474
>Yes, what an amazing character, a little child who can't help but taunt the flies he's swatting
Nobody said he's amazingly written. But it's consistent, at least. He was lobbing taunts every seven seconds in WoL too.
>Really? If all you have to say is a big load of nothing, just keep quiet.
I'm saying it's a minor complaint at best. So it was a laser. What would've been better? A missile? A sword? A giant glowing feather?
>honestly why even bother calling it SC2? It's an entirely separate story and even taking it as such it's awful
Because it's a continuation of a plot thread given in SC1, whether revisionist or not. Duran's machinations were the sequel hook and that's what it went with.
Duran's revelations in Dark Origin weren't much in line with the themes of SC1 either, but it was still in SC1.
> in WoL it was suggested that the Overmind was aware of Amon and was using Kerrigan as a tool to subvert his plans
It was suggested the Overmind literally saw through time with clairvoyance and built Kerrigan to avert that future. If the Overmind could do it, surely the Xel'Naga could.

But if these grievances are that severe to you, maybe I've just set my standards lower.
>>
>>318751969
You forgot
>The keystone is required to even get there safely as it stabilizes shit
>Kerrigan is there and it's no problem
>For some reason the hybrid are there too even though it's shown there is literally nothing of value there
>It was all so Amon could do some more childish taunting
>>
>>318751619
I don't think being manipulated by a shapeshifting psychic god is being that "gullible".
>>
>>318751875
>I'd say the real issue is that because of the terrible, terrible damage that happens in SC2, people are worried that a single mistake can lose a 20 minute game.
I think I'd agree

the game entirely revolves around getting the biggest mass of the right units and finding the right way to bullshit it across the map (nydus worm, medivac, warp gate) then trying to avoid the other side's huge-ass AoE attacks.

The only real deviation from this is when the game ends early enough to avoid the deathball stage (not bloody likely in lotv, thanks to the eco boost), or if someone skips the bullshit movement and just marches the deathball across the map manually

I mean, I still enjoy the game and it's fun to watch, but christ, it's an intimidating game.
>>
>>318752148
When you're basically a psychic god yourself, yea, it is.
>>
>>318752220
Protoss aren't nearly that high on the totem pole, particularly not a protoss with severed nerve cords.
He wasn't even the biggest dog of the dark templar at the time.
>>
File: 1283112244799.jpg (66 KB, 739x1000) Image search: [Google]
1283112244799.jpg
66 KB, 739x1000
>>318752220
Not enough of a psychic god to notice Raszagal had been infested by the zerg though/
>>
>>318752287
Nigga what the fuck are you even talking about? Nerve cords have literally nothing to do with Protoss psychic ability you dumb shit, and Zeratul was so ancient he was around before the fucking Khala was even introduced to Protoss society (the event that led to the exile of the dark templar in the first place)

Regardless of him being top dog or not that doesn't change that he was one of the oldest, wisest and most powerful characters in SC1, also being the only one capable of actually permanently killing an overmind at the time.
>>
>>318752483
Yea see the thing is Zeratul wasn't even on Shakuras when this all went down, and when he did arive on the scene Aldaris was creating a scene and shortly afterward she was spirited away by Kerrigan.
>>
>>318752548
You're extremely wrong, m8. Zeratul was only 641 years old in LotV. The Khala was forged roughly 3000 years ago at the time of LotV. There is no way he was a contemporary of Khas or Adun.
Nerve cords, and thereby access to the Khala, reinforce psionic potential and give greater ability. Severing them gives you void ability in exchange, the psionic potential is lost.
>>
can someone explain the epilogue for me
>>
I found it to be rather short compared to the other ones, and every other mission is pretty much "defend this thing while the bar gets to 100%".

Not bad but I'd rather play and of the other 2.
>>
>>318752919
for some reason kerrigan can become a xel'naga if she merges with the last non-evil xel'naga

she merges with the last evil xel'naga

kerrigan kamehamehas amon

kerrigan is now running around the galaxy making flowers grow
>>
>>318751323
Luck is an insanely low factor in SC2
Especially in Lotv where you start at 13 workers and can send a scout right away

The problem is actually the complete opposite, the player has total control and thus total responsability in his loss and ladder rank
>>
Zeratul deserved better.

He shouldn't of died. LotV should've been about him.
>>
>Play as Protoss all the way through
>the last 2 missions have you play as a Terran and then Zerg

For fuck's sake, who thought this was a good idea?
>>
Duran would have been a better big bad than amon, yes or fuck yes?
>>
Why didnt they use the spear of adun when the overmind planted his ass on auir
tassadars sacrifice was for nothing
>>
>>318752483
>notice Raszagal had been infested by the zerg though/
Wasnt it the real Tassadar at this point ?

Was Tass always an hallucination or did he just die on protoss 9/11 and then Space lobster started impersonating him ?
>>
File: 1447155524459.jpg (791 KB, 4364x900) Image search: [Google]
1447155524459.jpg
791 KB, 4364x900
>>318744751
the entire story boils down to space samurai have to cut their hair and karrigan goes SS to destroy space diablo who looks like cthulu. And the game ends with her fucking raynors brains out while he quotes tychus.

If that sounds like starcraft to you, grab it. otherwise, avoid.
>>
>>318753424
When did he quote Tychus?
>>
>>318753424
so why didn't xel'naga kerrigan like

look like a xel'naga
>>
John de Lancie sounds too much like Q. Maybe it's just me.
>>
>>318753543
because then her fucking raynor would be icky
>>
>>318753578
he was just trying to do us a favour by subtly reminding us that there's better sci-fi out there
>>
File: 1441677846926.jpg (151 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1441677846926.jpg
151 KB, 500x375
>>318753540
the last words of the game are literally him saying "Hell. Its about time"
>>
The amount of Kerrigan in the campaign is directly proportional to how shitty the game is.

WoL is pretty shitty but not awful.
HotS is a complete and utter travesty.
LotV is, like the other expansions, bad, but it's the least bad out of the 3. If you're not at all invested in the story, then it's the best one.
>>
>>318753297
Duran looked cool as fuck in BW and WOL

Then you kill him roughly 5 times and it get old when he always come back
>>
>tassadars carrier was biggest baddest shit in BW
>ACTUALLY THE PROTOSS HAD MOTHERSHIOPS WHO ARE BIGGER AND BADDER AND CAN DESTROY PLANETS
>HOLD IT RIGHT THERE, THE BIGGEST AND BADDEST PLANET BUSTER IS ACTUALLY THE SPEAR OF ADUN WHO IS BIG ENOUGH TO CARRY HUNDREDS OF MOTHERSHIPS AND SUPER CARRIERS
who the fuck thought this shit is good writing
>>
>>318753743
well you probably wouldn't have had to kill him so many times if amon hadn't been a thing
>>
>>318750894
I used to have massive ladder anxiety also. Day9 gave great advice regarding this: Go into ranked, and lose 10 straight. Fucking tank your shit. No one gives a shit about your W/L unless you're Grandmaster (Unless they changed the ratings, I haven't played since Vanilla SC2). I did it, and now I jump into ranked like it's nothing. I don't get the adrenaline pumping till i'm deep into my 2nd game.
>>
File: 1433182918424.jpg (41 KB, 540x376) Image search: [Google]
1433182918424.jpg
41 KB, 540x376
>>318750894
>>318753934
>Used to have ladder anxiety
>Unable to break into master
>Give up all hope, just play fun shit like proxy hatch and give up on farming ladder points
>You've been promoted to Master league
>>
>>318753934
huh, losing ten in a row intentionally would also give me an excuse to try out some absolutely wacky stuff too. thanks anon
>>
>>318749241
Absolutely 100% agree. Plus the missions where you play like in a fucking MOBA...
>>
>>318749241
This 100%

I'll replay SC1 instead
>>
>>318754187
>>318754214
this makes me want to see if I can pull off a proxy three rax reaper bonanza aided by spamming their mines into groups of lings/marines/workers
>>
>>318744751
Nobody said the new expansion is dogshit.

Legacy of the Void is by far the best expansion for Starcraft. The changes they've done to the old and new units changes up the entire game to the better.
>>
>>318753297
His reapparance in LotV was what saved the game to me. That last alliance mission was the most fun I had in the entire SC2 saga.
If they had just left him getting written out in HotS, my opinion of the series would've plummeted.
As it is, it's not high, but it's above garbage tier.
>>
File: 1421188631535.jpg (261 KB, 1024x688) Image search: [Google]
1421188631535.jpg
261 KB, 1024x688
>>318754471
>ZvP, he is going for a greedy expand
>He build a gate first on his wall
>I just drop a hatch right before he make a nexus
>Can already feel the salt as he just sit there and slowly go to build a forge and make canon
>Hatch about to complete
>"Go ahead cancel that you fucker"
>I dont
>Just spam zerglings in his base and go shit on his workers while creep spread on his entire expand
Here lied his hopes and dream, he never scored 2nd base
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.