[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to make a successful indie RPG. Step 1: copy Earthbound's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: EarthBound[1].jpg (294 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
EarthBound[1].jpg
294 KB, 1024x768
How to make a successful indie RPG.
Step 1: copy Earthbound's art (bonus points if you lift sprites directly from Earthbound).
Step 2: Copy Earthbound's humour.
Step 3: Give it an edge to offset the humour like Earthbound

Giving it quirky, weird music is also a plus as this will be sure to make it look more like Earthbound.
>>
>>318385228
Just
> step 1: copy off of earthbound
>>
So what, that's maybe one or two games that have come out recently? Can only think of Lisa and Undertale at the moment, and I don't know if Lisa was all that successful.

I don't know if two games shows that it's a successful formula.
>>
>>318385346
Copying Yume Nikki is a bonus but I think that counts as redundancy as Yume Nikki copied Earthbound as well.
>>
>>318385517
>Yume Nikki copied Earthbound as well.
Except it didn't.
>>
>>318385702
Copied, inspired by, same thing really. There is literally an Earthbound segment in Yume Nikki.
>>
File: 0.png (17 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
0.png
17 KB, 640x480
>>318385497
OP is just being a shitcake, but Earthboundlikes arent a new thing. It's just LISA and Undetale's more vocal audiences that setting him off.
>>
>>318385759
>Copied, inspired by, same thing really
Not at all the same thing. Metal band was inspired by the Beatles, does that make them Beatles copycats?
>There is literally an Earthbound segment in Yume Nikki.
Where? The single room with Uboa?
>>
>>318385862
http://yumenikki.wikia.com/wiki/FC_World
>>
>>318385921
Except that's lifted from Dragon Quest and not Earthbound
>>
>>318385960
I hope you don't believe that.
>>
>>318386005
It simulates a Famicom RPG, while Earthbound is a SNES game.
>>
>>318386005
Cool joke, mate.
>>
>>318386068
Mother, also known informally as Earthbound Zero is an NES game.
>>
>>318386121
It's also not Earthbound, and it "copied" Dragon Quest in the first place.
>>
Mother is an Earthbound, and it is quite obviously Mother being used as a reference for that segment.
>>
>>318385228
why are people this salty about undertale?
Like, its a little game with genuine personality that stands on its own with interesting mechanics.
Why does half of /v/ insist that people just like it either because:
>memes
>earthbound inspiration
>lesbians
>tumblr
>8-bit aethetic
I have never been to tumblr, dont give the slightest shit about sjw bullshit and have never played earthbound.
I loved undertale though, alot of love went into it, and you can tell
and about the memes, i saw a few anime references, but nothing glaringly referencial, i relly dont get what the meme fuzz is about. I think memes are much much worst if AAA games do them, like in borderlands
In the end of the day, i really dont get what you people are complaining about
what is it shit compared to? A generic 3rd person shooter?
If you don't like quirky indie 8bit rpgs, this game is just not for you
I've never been too into rpgs, but i fucking loved this and LISA
They're both blatantly inspired by earthbound, and they're both completely different and unique
I really dont get why the earthbound inspiration pisses off so many people.
>>
>>318386460
Personality it stole from Earthbound and Cave Story. It is literally only popular because it has a tangential connection to Homostuck.
>>
>>318386535
>it stole from Earthbound and Cave Story
Gonna need to see some proof.
>>
>>318385795
>>318385702
>>318385517
>>318386068
>>318385960
how is yume nikki?I have no calms about enjoying both undertale and LISA, so id like to know how it fares against them. Ive always thought it looked interesting, but never looked into it
>>
>>318386734
It's nothing like either game
>>
>>318386734
Literally identical in every way to Lisa: The First.
>>
>>318386807
>In LISA
Come on anon.
>>
>>318386734
It's entirely different. It's like EB but... without story, it's essentially a dream world explorer.

You'll find yourself incredibly lost but the experience is mostly to explore and see the weird shit.

Don't go in expecting an indepth plot of deep story and messages. It's dreamworld explorer with some charming and unsettling themes.

.Flow is better and more intense
>>
>>318386914
It doesn't have dialogue or a combat system, for starters.
>>
File: 1420382056419.jpg (55 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1420382056419.jpg
55 KB, 499x499
>>318386734
>no calms
>>
>>318386535
>Personality it stole from Earthbound and Cave Story
So you are saying that the maker STOLE the personality from earthbound and cave story
Are you retarded?
I've never payed earthbound, but I know enough about it to know that the story, the characters and the setting are completely different between the games. There is a huge difference between getting inspired by something and stealing it, how can you be so retarded to think otherwise?
Sometimes the lines become blurry, but these games are so different that they stand on their own.
I wonder what you'd do if you were to make a videogame
I hope you'd come up with something completely original, or else you'd be a fucking thief, stealing from other peoples ideas
Its just beyond me how you think that the maker should be ashamed to be inspired by another game, like jesus fuck
>>
Even Stick of Truth was partially inspired by Earthbound.

Ever hear of Boothill Heroes? That shit was directly inspired by Earthbound. It tanked because it clearly did not have the same amount of polish as the successful games.

In the end, success lies on solid game design, not simply tone.
>>
File: 1423033134239.gif (2 MB, 580x433) Image search: [Google]
1423033134239.gif
2 MB, 580x433
>>318385228
>Earthbound
>not Mother 2
>>
More like
>draw shitty pixel art because you can't draw and need to rely on your ms paint skills
>can't code a battle system more complex then menus so lift dragon quest batttle system
>give it a twist for brownie points like mp = a timed meter
>Have a totally mundane story till the very last arc which flips the script even if its from left field. That makes it deep.
>post on steam
>>
>>318389847

Undertale has a pretty cool battle system, though. What other turn-based RPG has bullet hells in between turns?
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.