[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it worth $30?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 6
My friend is a fucking CDPR fanboy so I don't trust him. Is this game worth picking up for $30? I already got Mad Max on Black Friday, and am still really into Fallout 4, so chances are I wouldn't play it for at least a couple months. It seems like a good deal though, and I'm hearing lots of GOTY shit about it.

help /v/
>>
>>318372948
Couldn't finish this pile of steaming goatshit. Quests are repetitive, most of the story elements are redundant. Don't buy it!
>>
>CDPR fanboy

How, there are so few games
>>
>>318373390
Only thing I've seen is that everyone keeps shitting their pants over the graphics but desu they look okay at best.
>>
>>318372948
better than shillout 4
>>
>>318373561
*Witcher fanboy, to be more specific.

I should also add I dropped Witcher 2 after like 10 hours, I didn't like the gameplay. I heard this one improves gameplay wise, though.
>>
>>318372948
Absolutely worth that price, get it.
>>
>>318372948
Only open world game this year that feels finished
>>
If you won't play it for weeks wait for the Christmas sale, could get cheaper
>>
its wonderful
>>
At 30 quid? Yes. It's a good game, but the controls are a little squirrelly and floaty and the UI is a fucking train wreck, just like EVERY CD Projeckt game
>>
i dropped it 5 hrs in, too boring
>>
>>318372948
It's good if you have an attention span
>>
>>318374058
OP is really into Fallout 4 so I doubt he has.
>>
The combat system is clunky. Hundreds of hours of small talk between you and npc's. You decide.
>>
$30 is a great deal. One playthrough will be 60-70 hours without guides. The base game is only about a 6/10, but it's entertaining. the Hearts of Stones expansion is easily 8/10 though.
>>
>>318372948
official witcher 3 review.

all non-quest related things you can find on the world are copy paste boring shit
no one will talk to you unless they are quest related and you have the quest that requires them
awful ui made for consoles and only 2 consumable slots, making alch spec a chore
no resource management, you just instantly get all your potions back for whats essentiallly free
enemys have 1, maybe 2, attack that they repeat over and over, making fights absolutely boring after an hour
level system only works to the games detriment, as youll quickly outlevel everything you have to do and it will all be easier than the game already is
coming across a SKULL WARNING SIGN monster should be exciting but it's not, because you know it fights exactly the same as all the others of its kind, only with more hp.
"cinematic" controls that ignore accuracy in favor of looking more natural
even death march is easy as fuck due to a lack of enemy attack variety and every ability you can spec into being way too strong
ciri sections are boring and unneeded and only serve to rob you of what could have been the one interesting boss fight in the game.
the final moments of the story seem rushed as fuck, from oh hi crones now we fight, to im eredin i have a secret, im dying my secret is this guy tricked us and i had no plan to deal with it, to oh actually geralt i didnt trick you
majority of loot is randomized and scales to your level. Nothing you find really excites you.
all enemies have an extremely short tether that you will cross unintentionally more often than not. At this point they ignore you and start walking back to the center of the area or hang around to get hit easily
witcher senses are only ever used when the quest requires it and is just hold right click to follow quest arrow. you cant actually track monsters or anything out in the world(and why would you need to? theyre all tethered to a small location and never move away)

6/10 game. Had potential, wasted it.
>>
>>318375713
replaying witcher 3 and I agree with this one.
>>
File: 69.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
69.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>
>succubus killed some faggots in novigrad
>only choices are to kill her or tell her to leave city
>can't let her stay in your brothel and fuck her when ever you want
>never see her again

binary bullshit quests the game
>>
>>318372948
Yes
>>
>>318377395
Listen to this guy, OP, except turn it the other way around.
>>
>>318373390
>this pile of steaming goatshit
Well OP is into Fallout 4 so he might enjoy eating shit.
>>
>>318377395
>good controls

>[E] above item
>press E and space to pick all items
>geralt jumps

>try to interact with container
>geralt lights up candle

>attack monster
>geralt picks target other side of lake

>turn around while running
>geralt stuck in loop of turning around
>>
>>318372948
If you are into the witcher lore definitely

Otherwise, eh, It's a generic RPG with characters and plot you won't understand
>>
>>318375713
>no one will talk to you unless they are quest related and you have the quest that requires them

So just like every other fucking videogame ever made, and no, clicking or pressing on someone and them saying the same canned 1 line response is not 'talking'
>>
>>318377395
>"modern gamer"

Oh fuck off, you pretentious twat.
>>
>>318376998
decision in this quest effects a side quest literally on the other side of the game world and many many hours later. Though you probably dont know what it is bc you play the game at a shallow as shit level and then try to pass judgement on it
>>
>>318377991
Still doesn't justify why you can't fuck her.
>>
>>318375713
literally retarded with a bad case of adhd
suicide
>>
>>318378138
>you cant fuck everyone you meet is a valid complaint
are you 15?
>>
I want to play Witcher 3 so much, but I still have Witcher 2 to deal with and that's with skipping Witcher 1.

Don't even really care about the story. I just want to explore that open world, but my autistic completionist behavior forces me to invest time into knowing the lore. Because of this, I keep delaying the series.
>>
>>318378242
>can't fuck with literal whore
>>
>>318378462
Witcher 2 won't explain shit about the lore / characters you encounter in Witcher 3, so might as well skip it
>>
>>318372948
If you've never played any Witcher game you probably won't like it. You have to play at least the second one to undrstand what's going on in the 3rd one.
>>
>>318372948
It's GOTY next to Bloodborne.

Nearly everything people complained about has been fixed.

Definitely buy it.

No question.
>>
>>318378683
That's dumb. It has a whole lot of characters who weren't in the previous two.

You can enjoy it on its own.
>>
>>318378462
For Witcher 3 it's more important to know the general story of the book series than the actual games.
>>
>>318378591
Except, almost all characters you meet in Witcher 3, are in Witcher 2.

You will have no idea who Zoltan, Dandelion, Triss, Djikstra are without having played Witcher 2.

Making their quests close to useless.
>>
>>318378839
Lets see
Triss, Djikstra, Dandelion, Roche, Ves, Zoltan will all be literally whos to you if you haven't played Witcher 2.
>>
>>318378879
Djikstra was in TW2? I chose Roche's path, and I don't remember him.
>>
>>318378879
djikstra is in witcher 2?
>>
>>318378591
>Geralt's death and the massacre in Rivia
>the relationship between him, Triss and Yen
>the political landscape of Redania and Temeria, including the role of The Lodge
>the fucking nature of the Wild Hunt

you didn't even play the game, did you
>>
>>318378879
>>318378937
Oh wee, 10 hours of sidequests are explained, while he won't have any idea about characters like Ciri, centrail character of the entire fucking universe

Also was Dijkstra even in W2? Pretty sure he wasn't
>>
>>318378937
Djikstra wasn't in my Witcher 2.

Triss is important, but then Yen isn't in TW2 at all, so it evens out.

Dandelion and Zoltan are in TW2, but

-Lambert
-Eskel
-Vesemir
-Ciri

all aren't.
>>
File: 1418714770706.jpg (168 KB, 500x550) Image search: [Google]
1418714770706.jpg
168 KB, 500x550
Just finished it about three hours ago.

My fucking god what a great game. Almost everything is top notch, the story, the writing, the world, the music and even the graphics despite the obvious downgrade.

One of the best games this year and would no doubt be my GOTY if it wasn't for Bloodborne.
>>
>>318378937
To be fair, they were also literally whos in TW2 unless you played TW1 or at least read The Last Wish.
>>
>>318377821

what is Morrowind
>>
>>318378990
The Witcher 2 is just a completely different game than The Witcher 3.

If TW2 is Game of Thrones then TW3 is Lord of the Rings.
>>
File: witcher3-2015-05-30-12-06-43-15.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
witcher3-2015-05-30-12-06-43-15.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>318372948
I have played all the games you just named.
And enjoyed all of them. But The Witcher 3 if GOTY for me and a highyl advice you to buy it.
i might not be a really revolutionary game, but the Story was great, the combat was fun, lots of quests and points of interest on the map. And the graphics are amazing to for an openworld game.

Dont you want to hang out at Kaer Morhen?
>>
I personally disliked both Witcher 1 and 2, and still happily sank 100 hours into Witcher 3. It's GOTY easily for me and the only contender I haven't played/finished is Bloodborne.

Jumping in blind is not recommended, though. At-least read a detailed summary of the first two games or something, or a condensed playthrough even.
>>
>>318372948
Not it's not. It's pure shit. Don't play it, anon. I have warned you many time. Witcher is shit.
>>
>>318378462
>>318378591
>>318378683
>>318378990
If you can tough it through 1 and play through every game in series, the witcher series is hands down the best storytelling work in modern gaming
sadly, most criticism comes from kids that never played 1 (due to it being a normie gate) so read a wiki on it, then tried 2 and couldn't into the combat (hurr muh inverse learning curve) or politics, then tried to play 3 and had no idea what they were doing.
If you don't play through 1 yourself, you miss every interaction that you have with the characters and nuances of Geralt's character. You don't need to read the books to get into 1 as they work everything you need in with the amnesia excuse, but missing 1's story kills the personal impact that many characters have in 3. Witcher 2 managed to be somewhat independent with a new type of plot with all the politics, lack of a lot of characters from the books and W1, but 1 and 2 come together to shape the best experience that 3 can offer but sadly most people miss it and you get the complaints that fill these threads these days.

>>318379030
Unfortunately for Ciri, unless you want very short references to her in the game, you need to read the books.

>>318378575
You can fuck the one in w2 bc she's entirely innocent and never killed men, only the jealous guy did and you prove her innocence. Geralt is fine with that bc even though she's a monster, it's what she does and doesn't harm anyone. The one in 3 killed people and obviously Geralt is a bit fed up with it but gives her a chance to leave since it was supposedly in defense only. You're an idiot if you think it's remotely the same.

>>318379049
I can't take it seriously when people complain about downgrade. Such a small percentage of pc gamers would ever be able to run anything more than what we got and consoles would NEVER be able to do any more without becoming a slideshow. Plus, prettying up shots and demos to promote a game is nothing new.
>>
>>318379163
Most generic npcs have the same copy and pasted encyclopedia articles and randomized "news" quips in their dialog. It's just filler and makes for a pathetic argument.
>>
>>318379325
>Such a small percentage of pc gamers would ever be able to run anything more than what we got

Prior to the last five years that was a given for every new PC game. It's a nice feeling booting up that three year+ old game and finally being able to max it out with your new hardware.
>>
>bought 1440p monitor
>now I can't run W3 at 60 anymore
>30fps to 40fps make my eyes hurt
>so used to 1440p I couldn't possibly go back to the blurred mess that is 1080p

>>can't play W3

FUCK
>>
>>318379407

Still better than side NPC's for Witcher 3, but whatever m8
>>
No game is perfect. period.

But you as a gamer have certain tolerances and preferences.

Some gamers like gameplay over story. Some gamers prefer freeroam over linear play. Some prefer graphics and voice acting to feel like they are in the moment.

Most game companies get this wrong, so they give us beautiful graphics and smoother gameplay because it's easier to "Get right" than a good story or proper pacing and buildup.

Sit down and examine what you like in videogames, acknowledge that your preferences are your own and compare them to game options in front of you.

You'll be significantly less disappointed in the future if you do this.
>>
>>318379483
Had a 980ti before I switched to AMD and even that wasn't able to keep 60fps@1440p maxed out with hairworks.
>>
Nah, just keep playing Fallout 4. You can't even compare this boring ass game to that beauty.
>>
have 9 hours on it while trying to enjoy it but its so dull and broken. its the definition quality over quantity, which it isnt.
>>
>>318379749
Fallout 4 might be boring and mediocre, but it isn't as bad as people make it out to be.
>>
>>318379623
Guess I'll have to wait for the next gen GPUs before I get to play the expansion
>>
>>318372948
Do you have an attention span of some sort? Are you willing to listen to hours and hours of dialogue? If so, then yes, it's worth it. If you're more of a Skyrim guy where you mostly just skipped all the dialogue and optional dialogue, it isn't for you. Remember that Steam has the 2 hour trying time.
>>
>>318379813
Good post. Thanks for posting that - means a lot.
>>
>>318379623

I don't get it, are you saying that the 980ti couldn't keep 60fps or are you saying that you're confused as to why your new AMD card can't run a feature biased towards Nvidia?
>>
>>318379483
Disable hairworks and don't use HBAO+.
Viola! You suddenly have 60+ fps.
>>
>>318379530
Not even close, Witcher 3 npcs go way further in making the world feel real and alive. Most npcs in Morrowind are still pointless to talk to bc their shit is all copy and paste, plus most only ever move around a few feet in each direction (some never move) and most are never relevant in any way. In W3 though, they sacrifice that fluff to instead have hundreds of on screen people at once moving around, having conversations that you can actually pick up quests from, and having actual sleep cycles. Novigrad feels alive as fuck bc it feels like people actually live there.
>>
>>318380019
The 980ti could not keep the 60fps at all.
>>
this piece of garbage lost best RPG to pillars of eternity in global game awards 2015
>>
>>318380346
>global game awards 2015

who
>>
>>318372948
>shittiest gameplay
>>
>>318380281

That's messed up, but i guess it WAS 1440p. What CPU do you have and what AMD card do you have now by the way?
>>
>>318380346
>Pillars of Eternity

Wasn't that the interactive book catering to trannies, tumblr and obese feminists?
>>
>>318377775
>literally cheerypicking some old bugs

Everything you listed there have been fixed for some time you faggot. Right now the game has litteraly no problem that you listed there.
>>
File: 1448242472902.jpg (321 KB, 782x788) Image search: [Google]
1448242472902.jpg
321 KB, 782x788
>e-penis extension thread
don't you have an adventure shooter to play or homework to do?
>>
>>318380429
Xeon e3-1241 v3, was never the bottle neck. Switched to a 290X crossfire config I got for cheap. Runs Witcher 3 without hairworks fine at 70fps@1440 everything maxed out. But that's pretty much expected.
>>
I really liked it. The characters all feel human and the combat was adequate enough to sustain my interest. probably my lead contender for GOtT. Is the DLC worth a buy?
>>
>>318380483
I'm running latest patch and it has all those bugs.
>>
>>318373390
>>318373953
>>318375713
>>318376505
>>318377395
>>318377537
>>318380346

Literally fucking retarded. Witcher 3 is easily goty and best game of last few years. Don't listen to shitposters who are assmad that they can't run witcher 3/ no one gives a shit about their choice of goty
>>
>>318380794
>Witcher 3 is easily goty*

*if you don't own a PS4
>>
>>318380794
d e s t r o y e d
>>
>>318380483
I have experienced three of those bugs, and I started playing the game last weekend.
In addition to that, geralt seem to be completely incapable of looting anything above shoulder-level. I literally have to jump up and stand on boxes just to loot something that is fucking eye-level.
>>
>>318373390
Bethesda in full damage control over W3 winning goty everywhere lol
>>
>>318380959
>>318380630
Funny, played since release, never had problem with Geralt's movement, looting, or target selection. It's nice not being a mechanically retarded cripple I guess. You're also probably too retarded to aim the camera up to loot shit above you or read hanging signs.
>>
>>318381268
Oh wow. did I hit a nerve by sharing the issues with how poorly the game controls?
I get that you've invested a lot of time in the game, and thus feel the need to defend anything about it, lest you realize you've wasted hundreds of hours of your life on nothing, but there is no need to be rude.
>>
>>318381437
Did I hit a nerve by sharing how easy it is to not have the bodily control of an autistic gimp? Sorry, but if you can't properly control your character in the game, that's all there is to say about it.
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.