[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will this game finally kill TF2 and give it the restful sleep
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: overwatch.jpg (170 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
overwatch.jpg
170 KB, 1920x1080
Will this game finally kill TF2 and give it the restful sleep it deserves?

>informal tournament for no money gets 8 times the viewership of TF2 dreamhack, one of the largest TF2 tournaments
>this TF2 tournament is where the oldest and arguably best TF2 team disbanded, several players saying they were headed to overwatch
>>
>>318317882
No, it won't.
>>
>>318317882
>informal tournament for a brand new game that people are dying to get into the beta for gets 8 times the viewership of one of the largest tournaments for a game that's been out for almost 10 years
stop the presses
>>
>$40
>20 tickrate
>30 fps
>No cross-platform servers
>No custom servers
>No beta invites
>Microtransactions
It's DOA, even more-so than Battlefront.
>>
File: 1404120490700.jpg (80 KB, 1140x475) Image search: [Google]
1404120490700.jpg
80 KB, 1140x475
20 TIC
>20 TIC
20 TIC
>20 TIC
20 TIC
>20 TIC
>>
Inb4 Overwatch actually increases TF2 popularity
>>
>>318317882
>TF2 dreamhack, one of the largest TF2 tournaments

lolno
>>
>>318318894
>>318318778
>20tick
the only people who have any reason to complain about this are your average shitty players who are bad enough to get killed by casuals and need an excuse to offload the blame from themselves for being shitty, and people who watch esports
>>
File: 1448780547470.png (582 KB, 650x676) Image search: [Google]
1448780547470.png
582 KB, 650x676
>>318319356

>I like eating shit and you can't stop me
>>
>>318319295
>Froyotech disbands
>tourneys have no money
>tourneys have no viewerbase
>froyotech players going to overwatch
>>
>>318319719

dunno where you get your info but only one froyotech player went to overwatch
>>
>>318319606
0.05 seconds is more than enough to seperate the men from the boys
>>
>>318320164

I'm not going to argue with a shit-eating blizzdrone, you're too far gone to reason with.
>>
>>318320164
there is a whole evidence of the issues that a low tick rate brings to shooters

I'll take the bait here, why do you feel it's fine?
>>
>>318320583
0.05 seconds of action doesn't make the game. It takes thinking ahead to get shit done, and if you're doing that well then you shouldn't have to worry about head-on gunfight. Players throwing themselves at each other is usually where the split seconds make the difference, and a half decent player shouldn't be doing that to begin with
>>
>>318318778
30fps?
>>
>>318321424
It's this new vsync option called "adaptive vsync" or some bullshit that basically limits fps to 30. It's on by default in most games that have it and I guess people are too stupid to recognize that the option that limits framerate might be the thing that's limiting their framerate
>>
>>318321898

is that the one that limits your fps to half your refresh rate? or am i thinking of something completely different
>>
>>318322104
yeah, sometimes it's just listed as "half" in the vsync option
>>
The game seems pretty shallow to me compared to TF2, your movements options are pretty limited. It has nothing on the level of rocket jumping except for Junkrat's mines, and with most characters all you can do is run and gun.
>>
>>318321378
>it's thinking ahead that gets shit done

True but irrelevant. a 20 tickrate can really fuck up hitscan firefights, like 2 snipers trying to kill eachother.

A low tickrate means the game doesn't update where everyone is as often, and while it does not occur all the time, this can lead to instances where the character model you are shooting at is not actually there. To reduce this issue, blizzard made the game client-side hit registration. The issue here becomes the travel time between the clients and the host and how long it can take. If the game take 50 ms to update, then that's possibly 49 ms it takes to start telling the server, plus a travel time of let's say 50 ms? Then the server has to tell the enemy that you shot and killed him, so it takes another 50 ms for him to receive this info, but he is also on the late end of the tick, which is ANOTHER 50 ms

50 + 50 + 50 + 50 ms is .2 seconds. While that might not sound like much, it's possible for your shot to occur at that .2 second interval and kill trade with the enemy. Here, it should be whoever shot first got the kill and survived, like a normal hitscan gun in a balanced shooter, but here both people died even though it should be impossible.

A higher tick rate plus host side hit registration lets the game more accurately know where everyone is make the fairer, unbiased choice of who shot first and who died.

20 tickrate and client side hit registration is to save money but it hurts the competitive experience
>>
>>318318778
>Microtransactions
As much as it kills me to say it, I believe when a game releases with a market, especially if it's just cosmetics, it tends to get a bigger audience since people have more invested aside from just time and people think they can get rich playing.
>>
>>318319356
Have you played Battlefield 3 or 4? What about CSGO? The former are unplayable trash because their tick rates are so low, and CSGO is noticeably bad for it's.

inb4 some dipshit tries to make it seem BF4 isn't bad since DICE introduced 144hz servers, which are nearly always empty
>>
>>318317882
>will Hearthstone finally kill MTG
>will HotS finally kill Dota 2 and LoL
>>
>>318323820
>>318324350
Worse, I've played a lot of Planetside 2. After a while, you stop caring about getting killed by someone at the same time that they kill you because it's not a deathmatch. Maximizing your KDA isn't what matters. It's a coordinated effort between large groups of people to outplay each other. The chances of that happening to your entire team are virtually 0, so if your plans get fucked up by typical latency and tick issues, then your plan just straight up wasn't good enough to begin with.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.