[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you miss cartridges?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
Do you miss cartridges?
>>
>>318267427
Kinda yeah.
Zero loading times and built-in save features were neat. I guess you could fit terabytes worth of data into one these days, but obviously they'd still lose to discs in that very same thing they did back in late 90s: they cost helluva lot more.
>>
>>318267752
>Zero loading times

You're a retard. The only reason why old console games load fast was because there's not much data it has to load. Old nes roms were like 1mb max. So it only has to load like a few kbs.

Cartridges nowadays had longer loading time because the games are bigger size. It has like 4gb and they had to load a few hundred mbs.

That's the only reason why there weren't much loading time.
>>
>>318269286
>Cartridges nowadays had longer loading time because the games are bigger size
Still quicker than CDs.
>>
>>318267427
No. Digital is the way of the future.
>>
File: 1424427104230.gif (1 MB, 400x228) Image search: [Google]
1424427104230.gif
1 MB, 400x228
>yfw blowing your cartridge is actually bad
>>
>>318269286
No, you're a retard.
Flash memory is the fastest storage available today. Why do you think people are replacing their windows boot drives with SSDs?
>>
>>318269286
>You're a retard. The only reason why old console games load fast was because there's not much data it has to load.
Wrong. The data-transfer rates of the ROM -style memory, directly connected to the console itself, is fucking amazing. It was literally like having an SSD memory.
N64 cartridges were up to 64MB , and the Nintendo DS / 3DS cards can be several gigabytes.

Compared to the 1-4x reading speeds of CDs and DVDs, the cartridges beat them 6:1.
>>
>>318270440
>tfw people have been saying this for years and yet all my carts still work flawlessly
>>
>>318270932
It's bad only when you hava saliva in your mouth while blowing
>>
No, the only people that do are nostalgiafags.

I remember when it was rumored the NX would go back to carts, and suddenly everyone was sucking their cocks like no tomorrow, like they'd secretly wanted to go back to carts forever or something.
>>
>"Cartridge loading was instantaneous"

Not true, they were really fast though.
>>
File: autism.jpg (132 KB, 636x472) Image search: [Google]
autism.jpg
132 KB, 636x472
>>318271015
It great stuff for collectors
>>
>>318270708
SSDs are really only popular because of the stream services available and the movement to opticless PCs.

If I was still limited by CD/DVD/Blu Ray read/write speeds I'd probably still use HDDs over SSDs.

Not that streams are faster but optic drives are big bottle neck.
>>
>>318271015
Not really, they should go back to carts. But modern flash carts like the Vita and 3DS use. They are faster and much less delicate than a disc.
>>
>>318271321
Because the CD and optical drives are a slower like you said, which proves my point. If consoles were to get rid of optical drives and switch to flash carts and flash memory, their load times would be faster too.
You basically just supported my point with that post.
>>
Fuck no, bought an NES recently and having to blow out some of these games just to play them makes me think of install times for current games.

Plus it wasn't cool thinking about all those times N64 versions got shafted because of the limited space.
>>
>>318271534
I was talking about SSDs,

Microsoft isonly going to flash if they can lock it down like they've always have. SSDs perhaps.

Sony wont give a shit unless Hitachi or another company makes one because they aren't buying anything from Samsung and Intel is too pricy.

Nintendo is the oddball. Would probably jump on board.

Really the one that would actually benefit from SSDs are Nintendo.
>>
>>318271285
Man, I would go to town on all those games. I would probably die of dehydration before going through a 2% pf some of those.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.