[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's fucking over /v/ All this time and i've only
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 20
File: 1375843033192.png (65 KB, 285x276) Image search: [Google]
1375843033192.png
65 KB, 285x276
It's fucking over /v/

All this time and i've only just come to realize, video games aren't fun. They're just childrens toys that autistic neckbearded failures at life like us use as escapism from the real world.
It's artificial fun and artificial enjoyment. It's impossible to find any real fulfillment from video games because it's not actually you doing all that stuff, it's just a bunch of zeroes and ones

This is no way to live.
So it's about time I take my permanent leave from this world. Goodbye everybody. I'll miss all of you.
>>
k
>>
We won't miss you. Go whore for attention somewhere else
>>
happening thread soon?
>>
/vr/ is a shitty place.

If you go on the front page it says Dreamcast is allowed but other 6th gen consoles are not. This is bullshit because that ruling was made like three years ago. If you add three years ago to 1999, you get 2002, All four should be allowed on there.

And don't tell me, "It's because the Dreamcast is discontinued and the PS2 isn't" oh, fuck you! Believe or not, Sega still makes SMS consoles in Brazil. That's not discontinued, should we forbid discussion of SMS and piss off a bunch of eurokeks and huahuhauhahuhes?

I think we should also get rid of the general structure, it ruins the beauty of retro gaming. /vr/ should be more like /v/ than /vg/. Discussion of things like XRGB-minis and Plasma / RPTVs should be allowed, discussion of emulators should be allowed.

When you were a kid in the '90s or '80's, you didn't just play one fucking game and go back and forth about it, you'd swap out the cartridge every time you got bored, and you'd play different games and different consoles. How are arcade threads on /vr/ thriving?

Listen, if there is one thing you should take from this, it's that /vr/ as it is will keep breeding juvenoia over and over again, and it's time to move on.
>>
Pussy.
>>
i know right
>>
>>318258370
memes
>>
>toys
yup
>use to escape
nope
>>
Are people who post frogs the worst people on this site
>>
File: 1439168758891.png (95 KB, 200x194) Image search: [Google]
1439168758891.png
95 KB, 200x194
>>318258507
The only happening i'm going to do is happen into my exit bag.

See you on the other side.
>>
LE EBIN LE FROGPOSTERS
>>
>>318258586
When you're like him no one had loved you
>>
>After work go to my brother's apartment we throw back beer after beer playing DOA SSB HOMM Space Empires Rainbow Six, literally any game we're in the mood for.

>We laugh until we're sore

>artificial fun
You might just be a sad sack anon
>>
>>318258604
But anon, there's no other side.
>>
posting on 4chan is the ultimate escapism
>>
>>318258530
> Discussion of things like XRGB-minis and Plasma / RPTVs should be allowed, discussion of emulators should be allowed.
It is already, though it isn't by rules.

>And don't tell me, "It's because the Dreamcast is discontinued and the PS2 isn't"
Cry more, faggot.
>>
>>318258370
>childish toys
all fiction falls under this category if you think you're smarter than everyone else. Quit thinking you're so smart and you'll be happier. You're unintelligent, accept that and indulge in the carnal pleasures of life.

Or kill yourself frankly I don't care.
>>
op is fag
>>
>>318258370
>not playing hotseat Strategy games with friends and beer
>>
>>318258370
>They're just childrens toys
I fucking wish they were. Now they're shitty outlets for failed artists.
>>
>implying reality isn't just a bunch of chemical reactions in your brain anyway

What's the difference?
>>
>look at all this shit I haven't tried yet
>welp guess I'm just gonna kill myself cause fuck it
>>
>>318258370
>copypasta
i agree with you. modern games aint fun.
but im so bipolar with games. i played over like 100 games including old ones in the last gen era, but didnt play a single one of games in ps2 era. i mean, it happens again to me. maybe you are the same.
>>
>>318259339
Not only chemical tho, don't forget electric impulses jumping between neurons.
>>
>>318259339
>implying reality isn't just a bunch of chemical reactions in your brain anyway
babbys intro to subjectivity

There is an objective reality
>prove it
Your behavior proves it, if you literally thought there was no objective reality than why do you adhere to norms? You say you don't believe in objective reality because you think it makes you sound smart, but in reality your actions betray your real beliefs.
>>
>>318259201
I wandered drunk into a guy's dorm room once, found him smoking and playing Civ, and ended up organizing a weekly all-night strategy game party. We got a keg and a stripper one time.
It's a shame that in-room gaming is dying out. Even LAN parties could be awesome. Now we're left with gamers like OP who don't even know about social gaming. I feel bad for his generation.
>>
Kill yourself faggot.
>>
>>318259773
FUCKING LAN PARTIES
I had a 21 inch CRT monitor that weighed 76 pounds. We weighed it once. It was worth it, everyone else played their games in 1280x1024. I played mine in 1600x1200. I was a celebrity.

Fuckin playing Delta Force, CS, Warcraft II, Homeworld.

Or even Timesplitters 4 player split screen

Man Lan Parties are awesome.
>>
>>318259339
>Implying your brain isn't a chemical reaction
>>
File: 1448349683650.jpg (82 KB, 552x929) Image search: [Google]
1448349683650.jpg
82 KB, 552x929
>>318258446
Great decision Anon. Free yourself from this useless drug. Don't listen to those who like their slavery.
>>
>>318259750
Not him, but I have a vidya analogy for this:

>why do you adhere to norms
Why do I play a game according to its rules?
If the norms I adhere to in a game and the norms of social reality are irreconcilable but equally valid in their own contexts, does that present a challenge to objective rationalism?
>>
>>318261393
It's a false equivalence though, because with the exception of console commands or modding, you're obligated to play under the restrictions of the game.
>>
>>318261461
How is that different from the restrictions of real-world physics?
>>
>>318261567
objective reality isn't an issue of physics, it's the objectivity that makes it a talking point. The fact that other people perceive the same reality as you. I think we're talking about different things.
>>
>>318258370
I don't understand you anon. I've been playing video games for 25+ years. I played pretty much everything and I think that modern games are fun. I've been playing some Skyrim and Planetside 2 this weekend - I had a lot of fun.
>>
>>318258370
>>318258604
FUCKING GRINCHPOSTERS.
>>
>>318260536
>that guy who spends 80% of his life reminiscencing about high school

dont b that guy
>>
>>318258370
Yes, yes, don't forget to livestream it, might be good for a laugh.
>>
>>318262075
Oh no, that is indeed what I'm talking about. A video game is a microcosm of objective reality: everyone must interact with the game via a perfectly definable range of inputs and logical outputs according to objective, knowable rules.
Following that, how does one draw a distinction between a greater reality we live in and an elaborate game that we choose to participate in?
>>
>>318258370
I'll come with you
>>
>>318262818
I'm speaking of the objective/subjective in terms of relating to other entities. Your reality vs mine.
You don't touch the concept of subjective reality in your post.
The disconnect lies in choice/free will. In our reality we adhere to norms we don't have to adhere to, while in games the rules are set and no amount of willpower can change them.

In my reality if I wanted to shit on the floor I could. I won't because I think it would be gross, and I'd be obligated to clean it up. In a game I don't because I am totally unable to. It is impossible as defined by the world.
>>
>>318263517
But what if I wanted to flap my wings and fly away right now? I can't do that any more than I can shit on a koopa.
>>
>>318264126
You're talking about the rules of your reality again, that's not what I'm talking about. Your post is arguing for the existance of an objective reality, and comparing the rules thereof to the rules of a game. That works.

I'm talking about comparing the rules of a video game to the difference between my reality and yours. We abide by the same rules in our reality, but that doesn't effectively prove that I am not just an extension of your subjective reality.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but we're talking about two different things. I'm not that smart anon.
>>
>>318264413
>Your post is arguing for the existance of an objective reality
Shit nigga I thought you were arguing for that.
Imma go read some more Foucault and get off the Internet. Happy trails.
>>
File: 1441265685210.gif (2 MB, 167x200) Image search: [Google]
1441265685210.gif
2 MB, 167x200
>>318264787
Hey, at least we argued and that's what counts.
>>
i realised this recently too
>>
>>318258370
All fun is just chemicals in your brain.
if a video game makes you release those chemicals the fun that you are experiencing is not that different from any other kind of fun
>>
>>318265101
Funny to see more faggots who had this dilemma recently as well.

But at the end it's simple, it's just this>>318265378
>>
File: 1438037794711.png (2 MB, 1197x1077) Image search: [Google]
1438037794711.png
2 MB, 1197x1077
>>318263517

>2015
>Believing in free will

Laughing_Neuroscientists.tiff

>B...but muh philosophy!

Literally deprecated.
>>
>>318258370
>want to wind down and entertain myself after work
>movies are shit
>tv is shit
This is where video games come into play
>>
>>318265663
Without free will there is no responsibility. So whose fault is everything?
>>
File: 1434013134318.jpg (36 KB, 444x410) Image search: [Google]
1434013134318.jpg
36 KB, 444x410
Video games are most fun when your world view is really small and you can become fully immersed in a virtual world (ages 5-18)

After this time, real life starts kicking in, and videogames start to lose their appeal. You find it much more difficult to become fully immersed in a game, as you have a constant nagging in the back of your mind reminding you that you should be fucking girls, making money, etc.. real life games..

Games are pointless to play "casually".. they are most fun when you are playing at a high level. If you have real life things to do, its difficult to really dedicate mental focus and investing time in a game.

I recently quit cold turkey.. games were fun and i'll remember them fondly.. the thousands of hours i spent have been the most fun of my life.. but it doesnt feel the same now, and its time for me to move on.
>>
oh, and videogames are shit now.. thats another thing.

They're just products for the masses. Gone are the days of groundbreaking 10/10 games than will last 15+ years (counter strike, quake, street fighter 2) etc.
>>
File: miyamoto3.jpg (130 KB, 610x404) Image search: [Google]
miyamoto3.jpg
130 KB, 610x404
>>318265854
>>318266005
k anon, if you say so.
>>
>>318265838

Nobodies.

Responsibility is literally a social construct.

Things just happen as they will and it can't be any other way. This is distinct from fatalism which is empirically flawed.
>>
File: bleed out.png (161 KB, 472x539) Image search: [Google]
bleed out.png
161 KB, 472x539
>>318265663
>muh free will!
>free will isn't defined but i just proved it doesn't exist haha check mate plato, aristotle, neitzsche etc!
>>
>>318266140
Prepare for a leap of logic the likes of which you've never seen.

Heisenberg's uncertainty principle precludes the possibility of predetermination. The closer you get to predicting someones actions based on their past the harder it is to be accurate in those predictions. As we learn and experience our brain changes physically at a cellular level, but two people raised in perfectly identical (obviously impossible) environments won't have identical brains because it is impossible for two things to be physically identical. This doesn't apply perfectly, or even well, to free will. It does however dismiss the idea of predetermination.

I don't really believe this, it's just something that keeps popping into my head
>>
File: hip_036_F3C17.jpg (205 KB, 1000x1200) Image search: [Google]
hip_036_F3C17.jpg
205 KB, 1000x1200
>>318266129

...can you even name 5 good games that have come out in recent years?

games are all marketed towards plebs and casuals now.
>>
>>318265854
Good post Anon. I think you're right on most points. I've recently noticed a trend in my own video game preferences. When i was a kid i could play pretty much any game, any game that i tried, i ended up enjoying. I might have dropped them after a while, because i tended to gravitate towards games that were "addictive". Like realistic multiplayer shooter games, and fantasy roleplaying games. I realize now that the reason i liked those games so much was because they emulated a certain function that my brain has grown accustomed to, like combat against other men for example. Nowadays i have no interest in "addictive" games any more. And that leaves me with very few games that i can say i actually love, i.e. that i don't just love because they were addictive. I've played video games since i was 5 and i can barely name my top 5 favorite games.
>>
File: 1439470350127.png (669 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1439470350127.png
669 KB, 1280x720
>>318259071
not OP but I agree with this surprisingly good advice
>>
>>318266571
Also, as with most things in life, i've come to realize that no games last forever. You can never re-play a game and have an experience as good as when you played it the first time, the same way that you cannot re-live the favorite year of your life. Games are experiences, you have them once, maybe twice, and then discard them to the garbage pile of history. What we see with speedrunners today, is mostly a person who played a game (had an experience) so good that he wants to re-live it forever, by playing through it daily. But he will never have that experience again, instead re-playing the game makes him remember that first time and by clinging to the past he gets a feeling of nostalgia. In my opinion, that's no way to live your life. We gotta keep moving forward, time doesn't wait for us.
>>
>>318266330

We have a perfectly operative definition of free will relating to conscious action independent external influence and neural processing that has been negated by contemporary science.

Obviously the problem isn't classical philosophers but contemporary ones who can't accept a perfectly functional definition. Why would you mention Nietzsche do you even know what his views on free will were?
>>
>>318258370
You know what I've come to realize?
Every post that includes r9k bullshit is shit
>>
File: frog2.jpg (34 KB, 250x242) Image search: [Google]
frog2.jpg
34 KB, 250x242
It's fucking over /v/

All this time and i've only just come to realize, life isn't fun. It's just a series of distractions to keep us busy until we die and it's all erased.
It's artificial enjoyment. It's impossible to find any real fulfillment from life because none of it actually means anything, it's just an artificial perception of value

There is no point to live.
So it's about time I barricade the door to my room and become a NEET and play video games 24/7. Goodbye world.
>>
>>318266560
>>318266005
Could you upload your lewd folder before you off yourself please?
>>
>>
HAVE YOU EVER TURNED OFF THE VIDEO GAME CONSOLE, UNPLUGGED THE TV, STARED AT THE SCREEN, AND WONDERED...

IS THIS WHAT IT FEELS LIKE TO OWN A PS4?
>>
File: 1431112447508.png (3 MB, 1500x2122) Image search: [Google]
1431112447508.png
3 MB, 1500x2122
>>318267078
>So it's about time I barricade the door to my room and become a NEET and play video games 24/7. Goodbye world.

If you're 20 or younger then you'll feel satisfied for a few years.

After 20, your biological need to procreate and dominate females will slowly increase, eating away at your sanity, until you can't even enjoy videogames.
>>
>>318266537

You're perfectly right, I didn't bring that up because it just complicates things but of course technically events aren't preordained because of inherent randomness at the quantum level.

However this does not justify free will. Just because the outcome of an event cannot be predicted beforehand, doesn't mean you have any decision over the outcome. It will just occur randomly as a function of the particular way in which subatomic particles arranged themselves at that exact moment. It's like all the outcomes are possible but exist in an quantum superposition until experienced whereupon the wavefunction collapses and one outcome occurs.

This has interesting implications for time travel but is otherwise a moot point, you still had no control over anything that ever happened or will happen to you.
>>
>>318267382
I spent the last 2 days masturbating like a mad man for seemingly no reason
the only reason I'm not doing it now is because my dick is sore
I have all the anime titties in the world I don't care about bitches at this point
>>
>>318267408
How did we get from discussing the death of video games to philosophy?
>>
File: 1438043222076.jpg (1017 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1438043222076.jpg
1017 KB, 1920x1080
>>318267218

I'm not offing myself any time soon.....
>>
>>318267382
Doesn't apply if you're low test
>>
>>318265854
Why are you even here then?

Inb4
>shitposting :^)
You arent exactly making better use of your time.
>>
>>318267620
Oh cool, so could you upload it anyways?
>>
>>318267620
Why does she jsut sit there and take it?
>>
>>318258370
>It's impossible to find any real fulfillment from video games because it's not actually you doing all that stuff, it's just a bunch of zeroes and ones
the brain being stimulated is a spook
having your heart pounding hard and sweating while you're on your list sliver of health against a boss is a spook
kill youreself dumb reddit poster
>>
File: reddit shitpost.png (14 KB, 845x304) Image search: [Google]
reddit shitpost.png
14 KB, 845x304
>>318258370
Bye fag.

In the meantime, what games are y'all enjoying? I've been replaying Dungeon Keeper, it's great.
>>
>video games aren't fun

I'm starting to realize this too. Most games seem like all they do is aggravate the shit out of you. I was playing xcom long war for a long time, and after i threw a kettlebell across my room I thought, "Wait a minute....isn't this supposed to be fun? Why am I playing something that only pisses me off and has me yelling racial slurs at three in the morning?"

So uninstalled it. I've vowed to stop playing games that only piss me off, as my doctor is also bitching to me about my blood pressure.

I did start playing fallout 4....which is definitely annoying me, but i haven't all out raged yet.
>>
File: 1446046159010.jpg (55 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1446046159010.jpg
55 KB, 500x500
>>318267542
>I spent the last 2 days masturbating like a mad man for seemingly no reason
the only reason I'm not doing it now is because my dick is sore
>I have all the anime titties in the world I don't care about bitches at this point

If you're 20 or younger then you'll feel satisfied for a few years.

After 20, your biological need to procreate and dominate females will slowly increase, eating away at your sanity, until you can't even enjoy anime titties.
>>
>>318258370
>because it's not actually you doing all that stuff, it's just a bunch of zeroes and ones

Literally the entire universe can be expressed by zeroes and ones.

Everything you've ever done in life can be expressed in binary.
>>
>>318267897
Mario Kart 7 while I wait for Super Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. I also have Pokemon Rumble World because I'm a sucker for free to play games.
>>
>>318267382
I'm about to turn 30, I have an ex gf who comes to town once every few months and stays with me, so I get my fix. I still have fun with games though, they're fiction, but so is most TV, lots of books, comics, board games. OP is wrong and so are you. You're emotionally stunted, doesn't mean we all are anon. I'm here because I like video games and you guys are the only people who really talk about them.
>/v/ talking about video games
you know what I mean you faggots
>>
>>318258370
Naw, shorthop falcon knee someone and tell me its not fun.
>>
File: 1447950674825.png (287 KB, 368x469) Image search: [Google]
1447950674825.png
287 KB, 368x469
>>318258530
>Sega still makes SMS in Brazil
I'm brazilian and you are bullshitting.
>>
>>318267686

I dont feel like sharing my godlike taste with you plebs...

>>318267794

whole set is amazing

http://hentai2read.com/yareruko_densha_ecchi/1/1/
>>
File: hcdn0008.jpg (231 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
hcdn0008.jpg
231 KB, 1920x1080
>>318268181
>>
This thread was moved to >>>/trash/347702
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.