[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can you Souls haters even name an action RPG with better gameplay
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7
File: 1343915052171.jpg (107 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1343915052171.jpg
107 KB, 480x480
Can you Souls haters even name an action RPG with better gameplay than a Souls game?

Didn't think so.
>>
The Witcher 3
checkmate
>>
>>318220513
Witcher 3 has less depth than Souls when it comes to combat.
>>
Excuse me while I hijack this thread for a little while.

Been playing DaS2 and DeS a bit.

I don't like DeS, I like DaS2. Should I get DaS1?
>>
>>318220745
Probably not.
DaS1 is more like DeS than DaS2.
>>
I was going to start a new thread but since the OP is fucking stupid I will ask here instead.

Are there any good horror games for ps4 right now?
>>
In terms of sheer game-play?

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen.
>>
>>318220225
Blade of Darkness.
>>
File: 1447744174852.png (183 KB, 400x320) Image search: [Google]
1447744174852.png
183 KB, 400x320
>>318222476
this guy knows whats up. he also fucks.
>>
Terranigma.
>>
>yfw storyboard artist posted pictures of Eva and Amalia's tits
>>
>>318220745
no
>>
>>318222789
i demand sauce
>>
>>318220225
>RPG
You don't even know what the fucking term means anymore if you honestly think souls is an RPG.

90% of self proclaimed RPG's that are released these days aren't real RPG's. The witcher 3 is barely an RPG too and is more of a choose your own adventure game.

Here's a hint, RPG's hardly have anything to do with the amounts of dialogue options or the variety of weapons and skills you can acquire. I wonder if /v/ really knows what makes a good RPG? Probably not.
>>
File: 1448087004007.jpg (680 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1448087004007.jpg
680 KB, 1280x960
MONSTER HUNTER!

IMMA PLAY SOME RIGHT NOW!

I'm not a souls haters though, they are pretty cool games.
>>
>>318222983
ARPGs aren't RPGs
>>
>>318222983
Gee, why don't you tell me what a Role Playing Game is, then?
And maybe tell me about how a game based around character building and skills, as well as alliance choices where you play a s a clean slate character is not an Action Role Playing Game?

Or are you just going to continue to be a snot nosed brat about it and post like you're above everyone else?
>>
>>318223186
Great idea let's play some monster hunter together anon. Do you have mh4u?
>>
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic

I don't hate the Souls games though.
>>
>>318223437
magic is complete shit, I disagree.
>>
>>318222983
OP clearly said action RPG

Which is its own subgenre of RPG where choices in regard to story are replaced with choices based around combat.

So, go fuck a landmine and or cactus.
>>
Monster Hunter
Dragon's Dogma
Ocarina of Time
Fable II
People treat Souls like it was the first action game to have clunky but responsive controls that make it that most deaths are your own fault. It was brilliant marketing by Bamco though, and now Souls dickriders are some of the worst videogames fanbases on the internet, let alone /v/. Undermeme is almost just as bad.
>>
>>318220225
Dishonored? System Shock 2?
What constitutes 'action rpg'?
>>
>>318223567
He said Dark Messiah (Of Might and Magic), not Might and Magic. Dark Messiah has great combat.
>>
>>318224006
>now Souls dickriders are some of the worst videogames fanbases on the internet,
Na, Witcherfags are.

At least souls fags keep to their own threads these days.
>>
File: 1447544052253.jpg (874 KB, 982x852) Image search: [Google]
1447544052253.jpg
874 KB, 982x852
>>318223386
Sure! I'm around G2. Post a room?
>>
>>318224271
Post it. I haven't played in a while so I'll be a but rusty but I'm g1
>>
>>318224193
no, I meant the magic combat in DM was shit. It was so bad that I had to console command all my points out of magic to melee late game.

Melee and range were good.
>>
>>318222894
I don't want to be banned, and I don't have the twitter link
>>
>be fa/tg/uy
>/v/ tries to talk about what an RPG is
Fucking christ I hate all of you.
>>
>>318224397
"the game sucks because I built my character badly"
ok bud
>>
>>318223297
>>318223293
Role playing games, basically require at least one of if not all of these things to be a true role playing game.

A living economy (this is pretty much an absolute must-have) The economy must be able to boom and bust as a result of things naturally happening in the game's world. I should be able to intercept traders and fuck up supply lines, or even be a part of those supply lines.

NPC's with jobs that contribute to that economy through the games mechanics. In other words, if an NPC is a trader in the game, they actually go around and trade and contribute to the economy with their goods. If an NPC is a soldier, they actually go to get sent out on missions to fight for territory they can capture for their faction.

Factions that can be absolutely destroyed or strengthened through choices you make in gameplay (not the narrative) whether it's through fighting against/for them, supplying them with resources and/or doing missions for them.

The player should be able to establish their own systems of manipulating/contributing to the economy, whether through business or industry.

These things all working together naturally creates roles to fill in a world. The role you assume is less of a player imposed fantasy like many "RPGs" tend to force you into, instead you are actually playing a real role in changing the world around you with immediate effect through the mechanics all working together.

That's how a proper RPG should operate. There are many space sims that do this, there's a game called Sea Dogs (and its sequels) that do this. Yet for some reason when it comes to third/first person "RPG" they leave all of this shit out. The role you play gets restricted to bullshit like "Do you want to use pistols or assault rifles? Are you smart or stupid?"

Those statistics are arbitrary, what matters in a roleplaying game is how you can actually impact the world around you through your own efforts, not through narrative progression.
>>
>>318224498
I never said the game was bad fag, try reading.

I liked it.
>>
>>318224461
Tabletop RPGs =/= vidya RPGs

Go have a heart attack
>>
>>318224569
>whether through force or industry.
Fix'd
>>
>>318224569
Bud, requiring an economy simulator isn't part of what makes a game an RPG. That is certainly a feature that can be in a rpg, but by no means is required.

You're just spouting that only what you like in RPGs are "real" RPGs. Economic simulators aren't RPGs in their base form, because they have no role to play. If I take the role playing portion out of the portion you enjoy it is not an RPG make.
>>
>>318224450
spoiler it please

pls
>>
>>318220225

I love souls. Just hate the non consensual PVP. Its a shame we have to get a good understanding of the ways to avoid it with each release (An heroing, plug pulling, boss door dancing, keeping eye on soapstone, etc)
>>
>>318224848
You use the term economic simulator, I can see why, but you have to understand that a living economy is something that really is quite crucial to a good RPG experience in any rpg setting. If the role you play is as shallow as a puddle, as in, you can't fucking accomplish anything that directly impacts the world through pure gameplay, then in reality it's just not a very good role playing game.

Anything beyond that is just purely player imposed headcanon, you're simply pretending that you fill a role in the world you're playing in. That's fine if you like it, but it's not what I'd call a real RPG.
>>
>>318224386
>>318223186
Id:09-9129-1379-3387
Pass:6464
>>
>>318225469
> but you have to understand that a living economy is something that really is quite crucial to a good RPG experience in any rpg setting
To you. You have to understand that just because you like something (something that I love too, don't get me wrong) it isn't a requirement to fit the genre.

>you can't fucking accomplish anything that directly impacts the world through pure gameplay
Plenty of games do this without requiring a living economy.

>Anything beyond that is just purely player imposed headcanon, you're simply pretending that you fill a role in the world you're playing in.
So you're saying the only influence you can have is through an economy? There is no other way to influence a world?
>>
>>318220225
I don't hate souls, but here's your reply: Diablo 2
>>
>>318225469
No its not

Fuck off
>>
>>318220576
no you moron, it doesnt. it definetly has less movesets, but not else less.
>>
>>318223386
speaking of mh, anybody still play fu?
>>
>>318222983
What's an right then?
Is it numbers
Is it story
Is it character interaction

???

People seem to say a game isn't an rpg when they don't like it.
>>
>>318223567
>magic is complete shit

You do realize we're comparing to souls right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS49Dazin3E
>>
>>318225684
Yes you can influence a world through narrative and dialogue options, but does any of it ever really feel legitimate to you?

I mean in games like fallout and whatever, you can carve a path of destruction throughout the wasteland killing literally every fucker you see, but things only REALLY change when you talk to someone to progress a quest. You're not fulfilling much of a role in those worlds other than "The guy with the power to progress the story"

It's the same deal with the witcher, they all focus on fucking narrative roleplaying when FAR better role-playing systems already exist in games.

See these fucking ships nigger? I worked hard to get these bastards, I started with nothing but a single sloop and like 6 cannons and about 12 men, I made a direct impact on the world that surrounds my character on the path to getting to this level. The process of acquiring these ships has its own narrative that I fucking created. I made my own story in this game and other games like it, I played a real role of my choosing, that's what real role playing is about to me. I see other forms of RPG's as shallow or illegitimate.
>>
>>318226925
>Yes you can influence a world through narrative and dialogue options, but does any of it ever really feel legitimate to you?
Yes, it does, because the world changes depending on my choices.

>I mean in games like fallout and whatever, you can carve a path of destruction throughout the wasteland killing literally every fucker you see, but things only REALLY change when you talk to someone to progress a quest.
Fallout doesn't have very immersive roleplay, what else is new?

>It's the same deal with the witcher, they all focus on fucking narrative roleplaying when FAR better role-playing systems already exist in games.

Sure buddy, for you, doesn't mean they're not roleplaying games.

>See these fucking ships nigger? I worked hard to get these bastards, I started with nothing but a single sloop and like 6 cannons and about 12 men, I made a direct impact on the world that surrounds my character on the path to getting to this level.
I don't see how this makes other games not RPGs.
>>
File: PK2gjMC.jpg (273 KB, 1162x850) Image search: [Google]
PK2gjMC.jpg
273 KB, 1162x850
Horse and sword: fightsquad
>>
>>318226553
Yeah on my phone sometimes lol
>>
>>318227306
>I don't see how this makes other games not RPGs.

There's only 1 role to fill, the protagonist. The driving force of the game's predetermined narrative. That's all you really are in those games. You can't actually PLAY a role through your actions outside of a dialogue box.
>>
This thread is retarded and everyone posting in this thread is a faggot, including me.
Fuck all of you for falling for this obvious bait.
>>
>>318226925
Fuck I've never seen someone talking about Sea Dogs on here before.

Highly underrated game
>>
>>318228101
You are forever my nigger. Would never start a mutiny on your ship.
>>
>>318220225
Neverwinter Nights 1
>>
>>318228498
>not ToEE
One job anon.
>>
Dark Souls combat was always just a shoddy clone of MH shit.
The hitboxes in the game make FU look like a flawless masterpiece.

Only thing it has going on for it is that you adventure through a consistent world rather than revisiting the same hunting grounds all day.
And thats fine, but the combat is ass.
>>
>>318227792
You're also playing a protagonist mate. The fact that the story centers on you means your the protagonist, even if you're just building fleets. Dear christ you're retarded.
>>
File: 1447964390636.gif (2 MB, 599x331) Image search: [Google]
1447964390636.gif
2 MB, 599x331
>>318220225
Ys ________I___
>>
>>318220513
You can't be serious...

Next you'll tell me W3 has good story and tight controls, varied quests that don't overuse a shit gimmick and great U.I.
>>
>>318222894
They're pretty great, check /aco/. Ankama seems to draw every nude scene actually nude, then cover them up post-production rather than not draw that part.
>>
>>318228852
Wrong, I can completely ignore the game's preset narrative in games like sea dogs and simply grow from being a cog in the machine shitter like most NPC's to a fucking British admiral with his own fleet and islands under my control. I can become a part of the world and its systems and become a renowned character in the game-world without taking a single predetermined quest.

Basically I don't have to act as THE PROTAGONIST, I can act like I really have just been dropped into this world of opportunity. The world will change without my prompt, so I don't have to act like the protagonist of the game's narrative. I can simply become a part of the game's world.
>>
>>318220225
Bloodborne
>>
>>318228947
My brother and I played Oath in Felghana. We joke about Seath losing his legs to Adol after that fight in the Ice Cave.

Autistic as fuck. But goddamn we laugh hard at that.
>>
>>318220225
Wakfu. It is pretty actiony
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.