[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else disappointed that Decoy Octopus has been so underutilized
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: Decoy.jpg (19 KB, 289x414) Image search: [Google]
Decoy.jpg
19 KB, 289x414
Anyone else disappointed that Decoy Octopus has been so underutilized in the Metal Gear story line?

His abilities combined with Kojima's plotting could lead to some pretty crazy shit -- he probably would have been a decent boss fight as well, with a unique mechanic.
>>
>>318152791
I think he was neatly used in MGS1. I mean coming off the heels of games like Resident Evil where they flat out forget half the characters they script in the manual; realizing he didn't appear in any of the Foxhound meetings because he was already killed was a great point of detail.

I'm actually glad he wasn't used in MGSV, because I extremely doubt that Octopus can just mimic the combat skills of an operative he copies, and his bio suggests he's real light on bodymass.
>>
MGS 4 is a fucking atrocious game, but I think they did the Decoy Octopus boss fight justice.
>>
>>318153438

I'm not really familiar with any extended lore regarding him, so forgive my ignorance, but I find his lack of backstory annoying i.e. how he fits into Foxhound as a whole.

I get your points though, especially regarding MGSV , I just think having a character who can essentially duplicate any other character could lead to even more ridiculous plot points.

The boss fight need not have necessarily been a gun battle, but maybe something that incorporates a nuanced approach like BB vs The End in MGS3.
>>
File: Decoy Octopus.jpg (2 MB, 1512x3642) Image search: [Google]
Decoy Octopus.jpg
2 MB, 1512x3642
>>318152791
nope
>>
>>318153870
I could see it working out like the Mystery Missions from the VR Missions.
>>
>>318152791

>His abilities

He just wore disguises and acted like people. The fact that nobody saw it coming until he was already collateral damage is to his favour as a spy.

I will only agree that doing nothing with him before Shadow Moses was a huge mistake, his past might have been a very interesting story to tell.
>>
>>318153964
is bowie decoy octopus?
>>
>>318154158
No, Ziggy might be.
>>
>>318154551
but ziggy died after that performance 20 years ago
>>
>>318154601
On the tanker in the Hudson right?
>>
>>318154158
>>318154551

An metaphor for Bowie's constant transformations? From The Laughing Gnome through to Modern Bowie?
>>
>>318153870
Well the thing about V that makes this crazy is that Octopus looks like he has a scar on the right side of his head where Venom's horn is. It just seemed so obvious for people clue hunting.

But I'm not sure how satisfying Decoy Octopus could be in the game history because the smartest thing to do with him is.... well what V again failed to do; showcase a completely different personality and objective and wipe all the inconsistencies with the lore away by saying "Well it was a trick".

I actually like the story that he was simply the world's biggest method actor... but I'm not sure where that can go shy of blaming him for international incidents.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.