[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did Steam fanboys scramble to defend Valve on this one?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3
File: pay for mods.jpg (233 KB, 807x960) Image search: [Google]
pay for mods.jpg
233 KB, 807x960
How did Steam fanboys scramble to defend Valve on this one?

Does /v/ still pretend Gaben's "based"?
>>
I've been a diehard Steam fanboy for 15 years and even I couldn't defend this shit.
>>
>>318139523
No one defended it.

It was shot down a day later after the monumental shitstorm and all modders that participated in this money-grubbing shitfest got bastardized off Nexus after trying to come back with their tail between their legs.
>>
>>318139523

If I remember correctly people were just pissed off because Valve were taking 70% if they'd take just for example 20% and they actually implemented a good way to organize it then I bet Valvedrones would gobble it up.
>>
i don't play games like this but if people make mods and they wanna charge for it then i don't see the problem.

i think a bunch of poor people got upset tho. i guess i'll never have to know what it's like to not have everything u want so maybe that's a valid concern
>>
They said gaben was based by making it possible for modders to get compensated for their work and all the detractors just wanted free shit
>>
>>318139816
>No one defended it.

nice damage control.
>>
>>318140013
Ec 4akekyHx8Hv2vV8fag
>>
>>318140013
Show where someone defended it before making such accusations. Oh wait, you can't because you're just shitposting. :^)
>>
>>318139523
The fuck are you talking about? Nobody defended it, the only people who did had something to gain from it. In other words the modders who participated and paid shills. It's rare something on the Internet is unanimously reviled.
>>
>>318139962

Pretty much this, and I kind of agree. If implemented correctly, I personally don't see anything wrong with modders being able to charge for their work. The main problem is that "implemented correctly" is a very hard thing to work out what exactly that would entail.
>>
>>318140156
>>318140082
>>318139816

I defended it.
>>
https://4ch.be/_/search/text/Steam%20fanboys%20scramble/type/op/

Report and move on

Report and move on
>>
>People pay $60 for Bethesda games
>People get upset at the idea of modders who fix 99.9% of Bethesda's garbage getting paid for putting more effort into the game than Bethesda did.
But why.
>>
>>318140292
How much did they pay you?
>>
>>318140315
Cause Bethesda was offering shitty pay

and modders mods were also terribly shitty
>>
>>318140156
>In other words the modders who participated and paid shills
and them other modders told them to fuck off and die
>>
>>318140218
The problem is it's impossible to implement it without destroying modding as we know it.
>>
>>318139954

>b-but modders deserve to earn a living b-because it's work and m-money and equality and and democracy

Technically there is no problem with people getting compensated for their work but modding has existed ever since video games existed, if you want to get some money then create a website, accept donations, make more content, get paid by ad revenue or something, just don't try to sell shit that has been free since the beginning of gaming and act like you deserve something just because you created something, it reminds me of all those faggots who tried to sell cd's filled with shitty Half-life and quake mods and when that failed they started sticking that shit on game magazines just to get rid of them. It will never work like that unless you have a truly amazing product that is actually work something, for example Black Mesa, those guys worked on it for like 10 years and never asked anybody for any money and even released it for free, now if you want to support them you can buy it on steam, however if you own Half-Life 2 you can still download it for free.
>>
>>318139523
>>318140013
LE EPIK RUSE OP GOT ME TOTALLY JIMMIED MY RUSTLES KEK TOP
>>
>>318139523
>LE VALVES FAULT XD

valve forced noone to charge, modders are the assholes if they do it.
>>
>>318139523
The initial reaction from modding shills
>Modders are entitled to compensation for their work!
The reaction after everybody realized this was a stupid fucking idea
>Valve should allow donations for mods so the community can show support!
>>
>>318139523
If you didn't support this you're a commie.
>>
>>318140375
>without destroying modding as we know it

I don't necessarily agree, nor really care. The potential benefits would outweigh the losses. I'll take a single person being motivated to create something on the scale of Black Mesa with the expectation of being paid for it at the end of the day over 1000 big dick mods any day.
>>
>>318139962
>>318140218
Stupid.

Here is a quick recap of arguments against paid mods
>no quality control
>no guarantee of updates/bugfixes
>no guarantee of compatability with other mods
>no guarantee of compatability with future updates to base game
>no way to compensate all the modders/mods utilized in the making of any particular mod
i.e. most mods require SKSE so SKSE should get a cut
>no way to prove ownership in order to collect profits
>destroyed the once vibrant modding community and sowed the seeds of distrust
>makes modders less likely to share techniques and info
>makes modders less likely to share resources
>Valve takes the kike's share of the profits and only gives Steambucks unless a mod reaches a certain threshold
>monetizes something that has thrived while being free since it started

These are off the top of my head; there are others I am forgetting. Paid mods are terrible in pretty much every respect. The few shekels a creator might gain come at the expense of every other modder and consumer.
>>
>>318139851
Valve took their usual 30%, Bethesda tacked on 40% for themselves
>>
Dredging up old mistakes is retarded.

That would be like still holding Microsoft to the fucking used game shit.

It's in the past, they learned from their mistakes.
>>

Report and move on

Report and move on.
>>
>>318140653

>The potential benefits would outweigh the losses

Just look what happened to Steam after greenlight, now there is so much useless shit in the steam store that it's not even funny anymore, it's even worse than Newgrounds or any other flash site, it's fucking terrible. The same exact thing will happen if they allow people to charge for mods, less than 1% of the mods will be worth anything, if I remember correctly there was some guy who put up a "mod" that was literally nothing.
>>
>>318140959
>It's in the past, they learned from their mistakes.
Maybe Valve have, but paid mods is literally the only reason Bethesda are launching their own platform
Paid mods are coming back for Fallout 4, there's no chance in hell they're not. The only question is if they'll be on Steam or not
>>
File: steers.jpg (17 KB, 780x189) Image search: [Google]
steers.jpg
17 KB, 780x189
>>318140653
Black Mesa was created without that expectation you bumbling retard. Every mod for every game that has been made up til now was created for free - the good and the bad. How is introducing money into the equation helpful? Do you really think people will pour that much time and effort into high-quality mods when they can create another big dick mod and make instant cash?
>>
>>318140883
The great irony here is that HL2 wouldn't have been as successful if not for the modding scene. The base price of HL2 was all you needed to have access to hundreds of hours of fun messing around in mods like ZP or ZM. I'm not sure why valve shot themselves in the foot as they did.
>>
>>318140959
>That would be like still holding Microsoft to the fucking used game shit.
>It's in the past, they learned from their mistakes.

Lol that's like a slut saying her sexual history is in her past.

We can still hate them for Windows 10, the Kinect, etc
>>
>>318140883
>>
Just add donation option.

And they will try again in 5-10years
Maybe not Valve but Bethesda will be part of it again
>>
>>318141467
any modder who wants money has a patreon
>>
>>318140653
>single person
haha sure buddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COue7LU0Pew
http://wiki.blackmesasource.com/Team_Members
Notice all the devs and contributors that aren't a part of the team. It will take another 10 years for the black mesa team to recreate all that shit because they're asking for money now.

Just look at the credits for any full conversion mods. What do you think is going to happen if all those people start demanding money for their work?

The thing is anyone with the vision and the team to make a full video game is going to do just that because anyone has access to great modern game engines these days.
>>
>>318141106
>How is introducing money into the equation helpful?

The people working on Black Mesa would have been motivated to get it released in a timely manner, rather than the EIGHT YEARS it took to make. You're telling me you don't think Black Mesa would have been out sooner had they known they could sell their shit? The point is, when you add money into the equation, you the increase the probability of another Black Mesa happening by a significant amount.

>when they can create another big dick mod and make instant cash?

Supply and demand. One guy makes a big dick mod, makes a ton of money, okay that's fine. Every subsequent big dick mod you add to the system, you decrease the amount of money each of those creators are receiving for their work, until at some point it doesn't really make sense to charge for it because you probably won't get any money anyway. At which point, the hobbyists who are really passionate about big juicy dicks provide free assets for people to use in their own work.
>>
>>318139954
The problem is that valve and bethesda were going to take a huge cut fucking cut for basically doing nothing

yes they're entitled to some profit for creating the system but fucking 75% is just maxium jewing considering it costs them nothing and they don't maintain any of the mods.

If it was a 10, heck even a 20% cut I'd think it would of went ok
>>
>>318141682
adding money make black mesa effectively never get finished you hypocrite

>supply and demand work once the market is flooded, and no one can find anything in the ocean of shit
>>
>>318141605
>haha sure buddy

Are you an idiot? I was clearly referring to somebody motivated to create something NEW that would be SIMILAR in scale to Black Mesa. I also never ruled out the possibility of them working with team members. Also, generally these types of projects work with individual people that then seek out others, or individuals that come up with similar ideas on their own and then come together at some point to improve productivity.
>>
>>318139523
By telling GabeN that he is wrong and then he removed it from Steam.
>>
>>318141852
>no one can find anything in the ocean of shit

Proper filters and tags solve this problem, and it isn't even really a problem. You're assuming that it will take way longer to hit the equilibrium than it actually would. The easier it is to make something, the faster the price will hit its actual value.
>>
>>318141856
not him

you keep rambling and making yourself sound even stupider
>>
>>318141682
If it had been monetized it wouldn't have come out at all. Did you see >>318141605 ?

You are the type of fuck who would applaud kickstarter mods
>>
>>318142037
>Proper filters and tags solve this problem
and the terrible tagging system valve uses now is fine?
Tagging doesn't solve shit, if the system is flooded, because the gas would just be flooded too

also good job trying to ignore being BTFO by the balck mesa comment
>>
the other issue with modding was the price structure

sure it was "paywhatyouwant" but the suggested prices were fucking ridiculous
>>
JUST
>>
>>318142237
>and the terrible tagging system valve uses now is fine?

Is it perfect? No. But it's not like it's difficult to search by genre, sort by rating, and see which games are actually worth checking out. It wouldn't be that much different from the way you find mods now.

Also, which "balck mesa comment"?

>>318142156

I disagree. They would've been able to maintain a more consistent workflow with a smaller dedicated team.

>>318142116

Enlighten me, if you're much smarter.
>>
>>318142748
> They would've been able to maintain a more consistent workflow with a smaller dedicated team.
It seems the Black Mesa Development Team disagrees with you
>We never developed Black Mesa with money in mind. Our team is made up of average, hardworking people, and no one joined the team to make money. For us, Black Mesa is purely a labor of love. We believe this philosophy has significantly contributed to the overall quality and feel of the game.
>has significantly contributed to the overall quality and feel of the game

Eat shit faggot
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.