[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me /v/, is wow getting worse since activision happened or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 14
File: pic-19369.jpg (221 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
pic-19369.jpg
221 KB, 1920x1080
Tell me /v/, is wow getting worse since activision happened or am I just too old to appreciate all the new changes? I keep seeing people who defend and buy all the new expansions but the game seems to only get worse each year.
>>
>>318139439

the version you just released was the best.

future patches had good stuff in it, but for every one good thing, one bad thing was right next to it
>>
File: 1447083699861.jpg (38 KB, 531x423) Image search: [Google]
1447083699861.jpg
38 KB, 531x423
Here a list of things that bother me:
- new models looks like shit and don't resemble old ones
- new artstyle and outsourcing looks nothing like metzen/diddier's art
- casualisation and simplification of gameplay
- epics and ashbringers for everyone
- things that made wow immersive and adventurous keep getting removed
- Lore retconning
- Jay Willson in charge of anything
Why /v/? Why do people keep defending all of this?
>>
It's a decade old game OP. Blizz is struggling hard to try and prop it back up with a fresh take every expac, it's still WoW though. People are getting bored.
>>
I don't understand why they got of attunements. Is it really that difficult to quest, save up gold, and run dungeons?
>>
>>318140052
>Blizz is struggling hard

>cancel wow2 thanks to hearthstone money
>cashcow on every opportunity
>twitter/selfie cam as patch content
>better april fools content than actual content
>p2w
>>
>>318140158
muh instant gratification
>>
Truth it has become better in some aspects and worse in others.
>>
>>318139707
>- new models looks like shit and don't resemble old ones
Nostolgiafags are mentally ill.
>>
File: 1337636999698s.jpg (9 KB, 251x246) Image search: [Google]
1337636999698s.jpg
9 KB, 251x246
>haven't played since early wotlk
>see all this Legion shilling
>decide to try WoD for dem 10 free days
>my server was always average in population
>now it's DEAD
>literally DEAD server
>complete silence on all chats
>who function lists only me in the zones I'm leveling in
>see a human being after like 2 hours
>rejoice, but notice something after his name and title
>it appears he's from another server, I didn't even know it was possible
>mfw

I'm scared.
>>
i feel like the largest population used to be non-raiders, and raiders were just a minority. at least people actually clearing raids were a minority. now if you're 1-2 months late to a tier you are behind PUG standards who already cleared it. "link cheiv and be over-geared"

maybe it was just naivety, a simpler time, but those non-raiders must have had stuff keeping them playing. there isn't anything now. you're a raider and you'll get on the ilvl treadmill and you'll like it. even if you only do LFR, you are forced into the mentality of a real raider. you do your lockouts and grind up that ilvl and feel accomplished because now... now... now i don't know what you're even using that ilvl for, you're pretty much in the same place as you were with HC dungeon gear. now children won't say >unoob, because your ilvl is a bit higher now? thats what you get. congratulations.

you have to feel for the people on the side of "XRealm and LFR killed the game", because without them that stuff didn't really exist. the only peers were your guildmates, no one cared about your progress except your guildmates, the time it takes you to progress is nobody's business but you and your guildmates, because raiding is the thing you guys all do together, and that was the point, it was a social accomplishment, something you all did together simply because you like raiding together. now people wanna pack into a zone with a bunch of people they hate and never even talk to, just so they don't get left behind.

it was pretty cool when HC dungeon gear meant you were ready to take any avenue in the game you want, raiding or non-raiding. now blizz makes catch-ups every fucking 3 months and make their own content irrelvant. if you come to WoW now you raid in HFC. what happened to HM and BRF? we made them irrelevant because it's all about not getting left behind the crowd - its not about accomplishing progress in a social environment. well it fucking should be.
>>
>>318140349

You forgot

>April fools content becomes actual content
>>
The game is 11 years old.

The current WOW team are doing what they can to stop losing the subs but that's impossible because there is no influx of new players. The mainstream "gamers" these days have no interest in even trying it. It's just not something that comes up in the conversation regardless.

People move on, time doesn't stop for anything.
>>
>>318141134
what aprils fools content became real?
>>
File: 1425281442494.gif (3 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1425281442494.gif
3 MB, 400x225
The only updated model I hate is the human one. Every human male looks like a sad homeless man and every hairstyle has loose hairs poking out which leads me to believe the plot of Legion is the Burning Legion stole all of Azeroths combs
>>
>>318141070

This is the basic problem. Something kept the casual non-raiders occupied in the past that isn't there anymore, or so it would seem. I suppose it may be just the general streamlining of the game that has cut down the time it takes to do everything significantly.

There is however also something to be said for the argument that competition is fierce now. How many people who used to play WoW to get that online experience now play free shit like MOBAs or other MMOs?
>>
They tried to appeal to the casuals, and succeeded.

Problem is, casuals don't continue playing the same game for years.

The customers they drove off in the attempt to get casuals were the ones who stuck with a game.

Now no one wants to play.
>>
If you disregard the spikes for expansion launches, you'll see a pretty normal bell curve for the subs of the game, i.e. it is experiencing the normal development for most products. It peaks and then falls off slowly.
>>
>>318141760
nigga draenor def did not fall off slowly

it fell in the fucking abyss
>>
>>318141931

As i said, disregard the spikes.
>>
>>318141507
>>318141070
>i feel like the largest population used to be non-raiders
Ding ding ding we have a winner. There's a reason only so few people saw Naxx and Sunwell. Majority of the playerbase was busy with the leveling, dungeon, profession and pvp content. They've added to many shortcuts to the game now. If you have a max level character you can essentially buy cheats for new alts.
There's a reason people say the game completely died with Cataclysm. They made the leveling easier, added more heirlooms and put LFD in full swing.

The grinding is what gave the game its longevity. Current WoW is what happens when you remove the grinding from an mmo. People reach max level quickly only to realize that the "real game" is fucking awful shit only 10% of people actually want to do.

Vanilla through Wrath were good because they kept the content for new players intact. Since Cata Blizzard has solely been making the game convenient for autists who have been playing for 10 years
>>
>>318139707
The new models look fine. I do agree with the art direction though. Its a weird water color look that just looks awful.
Nothing really wrong with legendary weapons for everyone as long as they are actually hard to get like in other MMOs that do legendary weapons.
Everything else is valid.
>>
>>318142379
current wow still has a tone of endgame grinding though, vanilla pre-cata had more of an adventurous and social "grinding" experience and the things you grinded for than had a lot more value and meaning than what endgame grinding gives you now.
>>
You know what I miss? Max level quest lines that weren't wrapped up during leveling or the legendary questlines.
Vanilla and TBC had max level questlines that unlocked you stuff or got you some cool blue items. There's none of that in WoD. You reach Nagrand and once its over the game railroads you into dungeons.
>>
>>318139439
I still have gametime until March.
Not even playing.
>>
WoD was a humongous failure, but I will be back for Legion. I've played every expansion since I started in Vanilla and I'll play this one too, even if I quit again after a month.
>>
raiding content used to be the last boss of the game, the conclusion of an adventure.
now killing the last boss(the last part of the adventure) is the only content
>>
>Vanilla
Good because of the scale of the world, everything was an adventure and thight server community.

>BC
Good because it was the pinnacle of raiding, arguably WoWs main feature.

>WotLK
Starting to go downhill here but still good because gameplay and class mechanics were at its most polished form.

>Cata
Everything about this expansion was shit, and if you like it your taste sucks.

>MoP
Gameplay and content was decent again but the theme was bad and didn't fit into the Warcraft setting

>WoD
Makes Cata look like a 10/10 because it has no fucking content and the little content that is there ranges from beyond shitty to mediocre at best. The leveling felt good only because its so fast, and the raids, often hailed as WoDs saving grace, are a far cry from vanilla, BC, Ulduar or ToT.

Yes, it's getting worse with every x-pac, although MoP was a step up from cata (which isnt saying much). Every new addon is one step forward, three steps back. Today, WoW is neither a MMO nor a RPG anymore.
>>
>>318144634
You forgot the dumbed down talent system.
>>
File: xbowx.png (480 KB, 485x546) Image search: [Google]
xbowx.png
480 KB, 485x546
>>318139439
Garrisons killed it for me.

The thought of having to do that shit on all my other characters was just mind-numbing, thereby killing any replay value.

I stopped leveling all but one of my toons, the rest are stuck in the early 90s or lower.

I really wish Blizzard would just make a Warcraft 4x so I can play Night Elves and conquer Azeroth once and for all without Metzen's shitty lore ruining everything.
>>
>>318139707
only bad looking new model is the Tauren. Rest are just fine
>>
File: 1376633648925.jpg (8 KB, 203x217) Image search: [Google]
1376633648925.jpg
8 KB, 203x217
> Vanilla
Meh.

> Burning Crusade
Please save me from all this shitty armor

> Wrath Of The Lich King
ICC...I can only get so erect..

> Cataclysm
Wasn't playing wow at the time.

> Mists Of Pandaria
Fat fuck pandas shitting up the game. Armor looked like shit. Quests were boring. Raids were boring. PvP was Boring. Pet battles were boring. Everything was boring. Garrosh's character felt forced as all get out, making even the last boss feel shitty.

> WOD
Questing was boring as shit. Garrisons are such dogshit. Ashran is awful. Raids are boring. However...zones are pretty. Armor isn't...as bad. New female troll, orc, human, dwarf, night elf and undead make my cock diamonds.
>>
>>318144634
well said
>>
File: new_moonkin-Header-110615.png (525 KB, 675x380) Image search: [Google]
new_moonkin-Header-110615.png
525 KB, 675x380
just look at this
>>
>>318145180
This. I still have a sub cause I don't care about the cost but i only log in like twice a week and most of the time one of those logins is me trying to figure out what to do cause nobody speaks to each other anymore.
>>
File: 1444353753922.jpg (39 KB, 305x322) Image search: [Google]
1444353753922.jpg
39 KB, 305x322
>>318149009
>new play doh cartoon artstyle
>>
File: 1448526044606.jpg (41 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
1448526044606.jpg
41 KB, 360x360
>>318141059
>>
File: 1445297017239.jpg (55 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1445297017239.jpg
55 KB, 800x800
>>318141334

Pandas

like how many years has it been i still cant get over the fact they literally added pandas

LOL

AND PEOPLE KEPT PLAYING
>>
>>318149428
im more sadden with worgen models, female specially.
>>
File: Puke_pumpkin_kürbis_halloween3.jpg (125 KB, 1400x933) Image search: [Google]
Puke_pumpkin_kürbis_halloween3.jpg
125 KB, 1400x933
>>318149009
I never even played druid.
>>
>>318147238
Next time you decide to write down a post similar to this one. Just don't. Please
>>
>>318149428
Apart from the "muh pandas" argument, MoP was a decent improvement to that of a Expac, and wasn't as bad as people say it was.
>>
>>318139707
you do know you can just toggle the old models back right
>>
>>318141070
>maybe it was just naivety, a simpler time, but those non-raiders must have had stuff keeping them playing. there isn't anything now. you're a raider and you'll get on the ilvl treadmill and you'll like it.

This is the truth. I couldn't raid at all due to my work schedule, but I never wanted for something to do. There was always some way I could progress with my character, even if it wasn't through purples. There was always something going on in the open world. Always some piece of blue gear with spell power on it that eluded me. Instant gratification killed that sense of accomplishment you got when you improved your avatar in some minor way.
>>
>>318149864
I'm willing to put my dignity on the line and say that MoP was the best expac since BC. Anyone who would say Wrath is better than MoP is deluding themselves, start of Wrath was alright but ended up being the worst expac behind Cata.

Beautiful zones, great music, good leveling experience and the endgame content wasn't that terrible. And monk was a pretty cool class. What isn't to love about MoP? Other than the retarded looking furshit panda class ofc.
>>
>>318149864
the dungeons were very mediocre and a lot of them had delays due to story being played out for long periods of time in between boss fights
>>
>>318145273
Undead looks terrible imo. Looks like they're hopping around and the casting animation is ruined
>>
>>318149864
It was much better than cata. But that's not a big achievement by itself.
>>
>>318142549
>>318145273
>>318141008

I disagree.
The female undead look like complete ass.
The art for them was incredible. In-game looks like bleached dirt and lipstick.
Female NE look like fishfaced retards.
Gnome female all look the same. Angry little munchkins.
Make-up options don't match their original counterparts.
Removed certain accessory options altogether From many of the models so each one is just a variation of the next.
They halfassed it. Pure and simple. Stop defending them.
I'm not saying the originals are better in that they're not higher res. Obviously. They are.
They just look like total dogshit. Especially when compared to much of the artwork they used as teasers for them in advance.
>>
>>318150278
It's just the vocal majority of old vanilla and BC players who were themselves raiders who get upset at the current state of WoW so by listening to them you become under the assumption that 99% of players 11 years ago were dedicated to raiding. Truth is, sure there were more of them than you thought, but even with that in mind they made up 15-20% max of the entire playerbase. There were vastly more PvPers in vanilla and BC than there were raiders.
>>
>>318145180
garrisons ruined the game worse than cataclysm could have dreamt of

what the hell were they thinking seriously
>>
>>318139439
After 11years this game should not have a goddamn monthly fee. Don't start with that "it's f2p" shit. Yea to lvl 20. Then you need gold. 30k+ to play "free".
That's not f2p. The average player isn't going to net 30-40k a month to make the grade. Only the diehard nolifer mothers are making that kind of gold and still able to actually buy shit in-game that they want or need to play the fucking game.
It ought to be f2p with no restrictions. Let their little shop sell cosmetics, mounts, pets, xp boosters or whatever the fuck else.
There are better f2p games now. I'm not spending another dime on an xpac if I have to pay a monthly fee. Be it in-game currency or otherwise.
>>
>>318150878
>The average player isn't going to net 30-40k a month to make the grade
Clearly you haven't played WoD where 30-40k a month is afk change. 500-700k monthly for an AVERAGE player is the norm now.
>>
>>318150284
I'd somewhat agree
>>318150326
Hmm, that is true, though I did enjoy the occasional MoguShun Palace run or Monastery, though I dislike how they brought back old dungeons like scarlet halls and that.
>>318150548
True, though it was up there with BC and Wrath as well
>>
>>318151004
>The 1% talks
>>
>>318141178
Are you fucking stupid?
>>
File: WoWScrnShot_093006_182406.jpg (65 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
WoWScrnShot_093006_182406.jpg
65 KB, 1024x768
>>318150404
>the casting animation
Holy shit why did you have to remind me. The moment I saw them I knew I would never play this game again. Never been this angry in my life.
>>
File: nwyi2l6b9qjotchxxwdt.gif (3 MB, 636x358) Image search: [Google]
nwyi2l6b9qjotchxxwdt.gif
3 MB, 636x358
>>318141008
Yeah, look at this! Totally Warcraft and not saturday morning cartoon designed to pander to the current target group that is 12-14-year-olds, furries and soccermoms!
>>
>>318151297
They were once a majestic and proud race...
>>
>>318139439
Played vanilla through wrath and came back a week ago.

It's awful.
>account bound titles and mounts
>wow tokens
>stat crunch
>legacy raid damage scaling
>dead servers
>simplified classes
>>
I keep fucking asking this but I never get a response.

IS THERE ANY NORTH AMERICAN WOW SERVER THAT ISN'T DEAD? It seems like only EU bros, chinks, and bots play this game now.
>>
>>318141760
You are completely ignoring the fact that the potential target audience for the game has exponentially grown the whole time. WoW can be considered a failure from WotLK onwards as bizarre as that sounds.
>>
>>318151636
>EU bros
>not also dead

I've never seen a deader server than mine.
>>
>>318149009
>IT IS THE SAME, I SWEAR, FUCKING NOSTALGIAFAGGOTS HURRRRRRRRRRRR

Not only it is more cartoony, but it is missing details from the original low resolution model from fucking 2004. That is an achievement on its own.
>>
File: 1443687999505.gif (73 KB, 129x150) Image search: [Google]
1443687999505.gif
73 KB, 129x150
>>318149794
> " I don't like other peoples opinions."
>>
Is Druid fun to play right now?
>>
>actually merge servers, not this cross-realm shit
>cut down sub fee to $10 at LEAST

This would solve a lot of problems, but what else?
>>
>>318152613
Merging a bunch of low pops is the way to go. Have 10-15 high pop servers instead of the gigantic list of sub 100k player servers.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.