[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't fucking understand the story in any of these games.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 17
File: image.jpg (597 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
597 KB, 1920x1080
I don't fucking understand the story in any of these games. Someone fucking help me. I've tried watching videos, commentaries.... I don't know what I'm missing.
>>
someone in /bsg/ once described the story as a constellation

each cutscene, environmental detail and item description is a star. if you take a few steps back and squint, maybe you'll make out something that means something to you, but maybe you won't

that's the best I can do for you OP. Run around the game and think about what you're seeing and what it means to you
>>
If you tried watching a video where they literally explained the story and you still don't understand I have no idea what you're asking for.
>>
>>318137571
Ancient ayyliens can't into healthy babies with themselves so they impregnate human females to birth instead.

People from the city found out about the aliens, dabbled with their blood and inadvertently created beasts

Fear the old blood tbbh famm
>>
Ayy lmaos fuckt ur mum and literally rule the universe and there's nothing you can do to stop that. You're like an ant fighting the sun.
>>
Blah blah aliens blah blah healing church blah blah beasts etc
>>
>>318137864
It just seems so convoluted and like it wants you to infer everything. It makes me feel like the story is just all supposed to be personal interpretation and I don't have enough confidence in my own understanding of the lore to really get there. I have no clue how people like Vaati and Mtthewmatosis were able to discover and put together these outlandish plots through such minimal direct story telling in a game.
>>
File: 1353470788338.gif (48 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1353470788338.gif
48 KB, 600x600
>>318137961
>you're like an ant fighting the sun
>>
Souls stories tend to be a little bit more about the characters than the universe. A guy dedicates his life to heroism but is confronted by the realization that he's a coward. That sort of thing. The core structure of the Dark games though is the question of whether you'd want to live in a beautiful lie for a time or live with an ugly truth.

Bloodborne's story is more hocus-pocus, and more about figuring out what events happened when and how the mechanics of the universe work or don't work. A source of criticism from some. Basically there's weird old gods that exist beyond reality and they have a hard time having babies so they use humans to birth out more of them. Humans use their blood to gain super powers but usually end up turning into monsters.

Usually the people who prefer BB do so because of the general gameplay or atmosphere, not the storytelling. Since the story is more stupefaction meant to impress and bewilder you more than something coherent, since that fits the atmosphere. Some people do think BB has a better story, but I always got the impression they're the same kind of people who think Inception or Interstellar was genius.

With all the games though it's usually supposed to be more about how it makes the player feel more than some specific Westernized story.
>>
>>318137571
something about you got a disese, you got a blood transfusion and become invincible until you beat the demon trying to take over the world by making everyone a beast.'

desu i dont really know and i just play because it's fun. go to youtube and wwatch the story video from vaatividya he explains it good.
>>
>>318137571
You're a hunter. You hunt beasts. Where they come from, how they were created, this nightmare great one old blood ayyyy lmao old hunter etc etc etc nonsense and what have you is all irrelevant.
>>
>>318138219
>Since the story is more stupefaction meant to impress and bewilder you
what gives you that impression anon?

in an interview the creator mentions as a kid loving to read books at the library, but since his English wasn't that great there were lots of sections he couldn't understand and so he had to fill in the rest of the story with his imagination. and that's the kind of story-telling he aims to achieve with the Souls/Borne games

which I actually really love. On a personal level I can relate to him; as a kid I loved reading Batman comics but I never had enough money to buy them all. So I would only read the second half of a two parter or the middle parts of longer arcs and filled in the rest of the story with my imagination. Later as an adult when I finally pirated the arcs and comics I never got to read I was disappointed as they never quite lived up to the expectations and tangents I went off on in my own head.

I think it's a very subtle and effective approach to story-telling. It also treats the player with respect, I think, to almost give the responsibility of the story to them, and is much more engaging than being beat around the head with cutscenes and text walls
>>
>>318138903
Even Miyazaki said he regretted how he presented the story in Bloodborne because he felt like he didn't give enough information for it to make any sense. It isn't about obscuring information to encourage participation, which Miyazaki always tries to do.

In Bloodborne's case, since it's about old gods and dreams existing in dreams, a lot of the presentation is about mystifying the player rather than enticing them. It works for the atmosphere but that's about it.

Dark Souls' story was a little fragmented but it was pretty clear about information when you finally found it. It was also fairly simple. There was an age of undead prior to the current one, the Witch tried to make a new First Flame, failed, and Gwyn tried to stop her and the demons, failed, and so kindled himself to keep the current Flame lit. Most of Dark's storytelling is piecing together character motivations in their little side stories, not trying to puzzle together a huge plot like it is in Bloodborne, which infamously has little characterization besides some sparse transitions from sane to insane in the church.
>>
>>318138903
>in an interview the creator mentions as a kid loving to read books at the library, but since his English wasn't that great there were lots of sections he couldn't understand and so he had to fill in the rest of the story with his imagination. and that's the kind of story-telling he aims to achieve with the Souls/Borne games
That's incredibly interesting. Source?
>>
>story
>souls games

You literally have to get the wiki and somebody else to piece it for you.
>>
>>318137571
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k7ST7Ysc9I3s6zLXr-DOzWjoAtu6afOOCaU3ucCdBDk/preview

read this
ignore the faggots
>>
>>318138090
you are just dumb mate

and that's ok
>>
Man I just started Bloodborne and the atmosphere is amazing.
Feels so much darker and depressing than Dark Souls.
>>
>>318137571
>I don't fucking understand the story in any of these games.
Oh yeah don't worry it's alright, the story is fairly convoluted just go and watc...
>I've tried watching videos, commentaries...
Ah, one step ahead already, wait what's your problem then?
>I don't know what I'm missing
Oh... well then, brain cells maybe?
>>
>>318139493
>I bet it's that autistic fuck huge document on -
>Yeah it is.

It probably says something about Bloodborne that it's story only makes sense when presented as a 90 page thesis paper. And a lot of the theories in it were proven wrong in the DLC anyway. Which also created more problems itself.

Say what you will about Dark, missing info or not, it's fucking easy to understand. Same for Demon's. Dark 2 just gave up and explained everything with NPCs, and even then it sounded nonsensical.
>>
>>318138219
>>318139341
>Bloodborne's story is more hocus-pocus, and more about figuring out what events happened when and how the mechanics of the universe work or don't work. A source of criticism from some. Basically there's weird old gods that exist beyond reality and they have a hard time having babies so they use humans to birth out more of them. Humans use their blood to gain super powers but usually end up turning into monsters.
>Usually the people who prefer BB do so because of the general gameplay or atmosphere, not the storytelling. Since the story is more stupefaction meant to impress and bewilder you more than something coherent, since that fits the atmosphere. Some people do think BB has a better story, but I always got the impression they're the same kind of people who think Inception or Interstellar was genius.
Shut the fuck up you stupid faggot piece of shit.

Bloodborne's story is much, MUCH better than any of the Souls games.

It has a stronger framework and ties into gameplay much more. With the Souls games, the story is just things that happened years ago. With Bloodborne, the events are happening as you play and effect the world.
>>
File: 1239224172693.jpg (16 KB, 360x288) Image search: [Google]
1239224172693.jpg
16 KB, 360x288
>>318140296
>you make the decision whether to create an age of darkness or not, potentially becoming the most powerful being that ever lived
>nothing is happening!

>same exact cycle of finding a god and turning into monsters happens, the same as it has at least twice before
>you have no say in it at all, and even if you destroy moon monster #543 it's not even clear what you really did or what happened
>slug ending is the punchline to a fragmented joke no one wanted to hear
>SO GOOD

I know it's fast and 'action packed,' anon. But it's okay. We all grow up eventually.
>>
>>318140576
the actual in-game story is a hell of a lot clearer in bloodborne than Dark Souls, the background and the world is a bit more confusing and muddled though.
>>
File: Bloodborne™_20150404194705.jpg (95 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Bloodborne™_20150404194705.jpg
95 KB, 1920x1080
>>318140296
>Inception or Interstellar was genius.
lol, there are people like that?
>>
>>318140576
The Souls stories were fucktarded, especially Dark Souls.

>history lesson
>history lesson
>history lesson
>now make this decision that you have no context for and won't get to see the outcome of

Meanwhile, Bloodborne's story is integrated.

>starts off fighting werewolves
>slowly discover Cthulu backstory and Church corruption
>landscapes become more nightmarish
>become weaker as you gain more Insight; monsters becomes stronger
>taking out key monster changes the entire world
>bosses become different
>to get true ending you have to get items from various NPCs and fuck them over
>>
>>318140837
I'm not sure if Blood has a 'story' exactly, like that. You wake up for nebulous reasons, enter the dream and are told to hunt ze demonz. And so you do, for no particular reason, as far as your character is concerned.
>>
File: Bloodborne™_20150404012119.jpg (426 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Bloodborne™_20150404012119.jpg
426 KB, 1920x1080
>>318140936
>become weaker as you gain more Insight; monsters becomes stronger
vaati pls go, only a couple of enemies get a couple of new attacks and that's it. Insight doesn't cripple you or whatever the fuck is tinfoil-theory is saying.
>>
>>318140936
>never talked to Frampt
>never talked to Kaathe
>never talked to any NPC's
>never did the optional content
>Dark Souls is TERRIBLE U GUIS

The only -Souls game that had -any- semblance of a definitive narrative is Demon's Souls.

Bloodborne is an incoherent mess, with a bait and switch style of story telling.

>Hunt the Werewolves that are destroying the city
>Just kidding, cosmic horrors, and distorted realities
>>
>>318140936
You have those descriptions reversed. Bloodborne is a boring history lesson that's horribly fragmented, with an ending that makes no sense, with enemies that you kill without any consequence.

Souls stories are about making a personal decision about the fate of the world. There's no "true" ending. And you're almost always killing the defacto gods of each setting, and making yourself the new one in the process. Souls stories are perfectly integrated while Bloodborne's story is just a mess of history books and nonsensical boss fights against enemies that are left over from events you never see.
>>
>>318140576
Bloodborne's story is a lot more interesting and different. Also I like that it's still ambiguous, but not to the levels of obscurity that Souls are. The way the Kin, beasts, Old Ones, Pthumeru, Church, hunters, Yhanarm etc. all tie in together is actually really cool.

Souls does something different with a specific kind of fantasy, and it's good, but I feel like Bloodborne has come up with an even more unique almost entirely different fantasy scenario with just the right amount of lore and intrigue for the games size and length.
>>
>>318140934
inception is actually quite clever, but fuck nolan he's popular XD
>>
>>318141229
I personally find Bloodborne's story to be boring, historical and unnecessarily stepped in convolution. But I also never cared about Lovecraft at all. But I can see why people would not want to be in yet another armor and dragons world. Unfortunately Miyazaki doesn't know how to make his own universe without ripping off someone else's.
>>
>>318141328
It's inconsistent and simple, the premise is fun, but the actual plot handling is crap.
>>
>>318141209
I'm sorry but what you described for Bloodborne is exactly what happens in Souls. You claim he doesn't understand the scope of souls, but it's obvious you're guilty of the same thing for Bloodborne. You legitimately have it reversed.
>>
>>318141017
You also have less frenzy resistance the more insight you have. It doesn't downright cripple you to have lots of it, but it fits the theme. Doesn't have anything to do with lorefaggotry.
>>
So....
What is the story of Bloodborne, then?
>>
>>318140934
Tons of people think that. I probably would have thought both those movies were masterpieces if they had come out when I was in high school.
>>
>>318141407
Well, I'm sorry you're wrong. But it's indeed you who have it reversed. Bloodborne is nothing more than a history book with its pages torn out. Dark Souls has some of that but it's mainly about meeting the characters. Bloodborne's characters are well acted but have almost no content or agency.
>>
>>318138219
You don't know shit lil nigga
>>
>>318141404
>inconsistent
Not really. It's very cohesive and it never breaks the rules it very clearly lays out for the viewer. The explanation of those rules however could have been done more eloquently.
>plot handling is crap.
It was fairly straight forward. I don't see how simplicity is inherently a flaw.
>>
>>318141523
Aliums fuck women, church finds alium blood, blood cures illnesses but turns people into beasts. Meanwhile, a bunch of scholars go mad from looking at aliums, people go out to hunt beasts.

You show up in a dream and meet an old guy in a wheelchair. He can't leave but was a pretty cool guy in his youth. You run around the world and kill all kinds of things so you can leave the dream. You kill a gross spider thing and everything goes to hell. You enter the dream of a bunch of different scholars, who have managed to make an alium baby, which you promptly kill.

In the end, you either let wheelchair man kill you and wake up from the dream, you kill wheelchair man and are stuck in his place or you kill his alium boss and turn into an alium slug.
>>
>>318141523
Hunters hunt beasts or something, then there are aliens, and the blood and moon are bad?
Then you kill some hunter or alien monster, or die.
And it's all just a dream in the end?

Something like that.

There isn't any actual coherent STORY in it per se, just events that occur at random speed with you being thrown right in the middle on no context ground.

The director clearly had some ideas but he handled them terribly and the whole premise is just a shit show half way in.

There's lore on the other hand, it's okayish, same as souls anyway, just random info and small tidbits of world building and characters.

It's petty but it's always been that way, the plot was never the point.
>>
>>318137571
>I don't fucking understand the story in any of these game

IMO that's the point, you can't understand it. something close to an hermetic (from wikipedia: difficult and closed style in the analogic form) narrative style i guess.
After all, that's not completely wrong, videogames are stronger on the visuals, sounds, music and especially interaction, no need to go further.
for you, does the game convey the cosmic horror of the unknown ?
if yes, it has done its job on the setting and player impact.
>>
>>318141909
>let wheelchair man kill you and wake up from the dream
Is this actually waking up from the dream, or just fucking dying so you don't have to deal with the bullshit?
>>
>>318141209
>>318141183
When did Dark Souls fanboys become such shit?

No, there is no decision at the end. There is no weight, emotion, or understanding. One snake asks you nonsensical questions, while the other asks you different nonsensical questions. The ending is an after thought that has nothing to do with your experience.

With Bloodborne, finding the secret final boss involves discovering just how fucked up everything is and being fucked up enough to kill and consume others just for a chance at ascending.

Dark Souls
>some mythological figures existed
>go kill them

Bloodborne
>the world is deeper and more full of mystery than you can possibly imagine
>can you escape from this nightmare?
>what does escape really mean?
>>
Here it is, its actually this super meta story famm

The story in bloodborne is too complex and convoluted for us to comprehend as it mirrors the how insight (knowledge of the great ones) was too much for the humans of bloodborne to comprehend (spefically the people of mensis).
>>
>>318142079
Well, you wake up in the city as the sun rises, so I guess you actually wake up.
>>
I've always viewed the story in BB and the Souls series as optional and up for interpretation (perhaps least so in Demon's Souls). The creators' focus was clearly on an atmospheric setting, and the fragmentary bits of lore and story moments are there for the player to assemble as he chooses. The end result isn't a strictly cohesive narrative, but I never really get the feeling that the story is the ultimate point of the game.
>>
>>318142079
You wake up from the 'hunters dream' which means that you're not tied (shackled?) to it anymore. Gehrman does do it as a mercy because otherwise you would end staying forever like he is, watching friends and new hunters die.

Of course, if you discover the true secrets/potential of the great one you can fight against the control of the Moon Presence and emerge as a new Great one.
>>
File: 1436243476255.jpg (122 KB, 460x690) Image search: [Google]
1436243476255.jpg
122 KB, 460x690
>>318137746
this image will summarize any souls lore
>>
I don't like how quest NPCs can be attacked but there's no indication it's a quest NPC. Looking at you Crow bitch. Haven't played the Dark Soul games, so I dunno if it's like that in those too.
>>
So who's the nigga in the wheelchair that blood injects you?
>>
>>318142270
>but I never really get the feeling that the story is the ultimate point of the game.
Exactly. The point of the game is that you are a hunter and you hunt beasts.
>>
>>318142294
if you hit them, they won't immediately go hostile

they'll just tell you to cut that shit out for the first few swings

if you still fuck that up, it's your own fault
>>
>>318142082
You're why no one likes Bloodborne fans. Retarded 15 year old kids who get too attached to a shitty game because it's fast and you press the attack button a lot. And of course, because Souls games are slow and not XTREME, they're lame!

Bloodborne is the story equivalent to an adult performing the magic detachable thumb trick to a child. The child is bewildered and can't sleep at night, wondering how the adult could remove their thumb and put it back on. Do they really understand reality!? Oh, no. They're just fucking stupid.

Meanwhile - if you played it at all - you ran through Dark without talking to anyone, killed Gwyn and got nothing out of the experience because there was no glitter or thumb magic trick to mystify your tiny chimpanzee brain.
>>
>>318142401
Somehow I still fucked that up then ;__;
>>
>>318142084
Pretty fucking cool

That's how I've seen the plot and am satisfied.
>>
>>318139747
> Bloodborne
> needing a 90 page thesis paper

Bloodborne is easy to understand, everyone just makes it more convoluted because MUH DEEPS.

Cosmic entities wanted kids but instead of kids everyone got space aids.
>>
File: 1443920056742.png (46 KB, 272x269) Image search: [Google]
1443920056742.png
46 KB, 272x269
>>318142294
If you were going to murder them, why do you care if they have a story? Why would you attack them in the first place if they could potentially reward you later on? Should they have exclamation points over their heads?
>>
>>318142471
so you're telling me if i keep playing this game, i'm gonna see some chick get fucked by aliens?
>>
>>318142471

Great Ones didn't want anything, they were brought and exploited by the church.
>>
>>318142458
in demon's souls, if you're retarded enough, you can kill all of the NPC that teach you spells and miracles, all of the merchants, the blacksmiths that fortify your weapons and even the guy that stores all of your loot

In Dark Souls 2, you can kill the NPC responsible for your only means of leveling
>>
>>318142568
you do see a chick give birth to a failed cosmic fetus
>>
>>318142497
He could mean he saw what he thought was an enemy and tried to combo it down mistakenly before it could attack back, without realizing it was an NPC at all.

Or he's just dumb.
>>
>>318142591
How could some normal humans trap space monsters far beyond our understanding of reality under the cathedral and a lake?
>>
>>318142638
sweet
>>
>>318137571
Probably because you have so many fractured plots that are just crashed together to form a cohesive whole

>Pthumerians discovering the Eldritch Truth and having their Queen be impregnated by Mergo
>Loran and Isz having contact with great ones and their civilization falling
>The formation of the Vilebloods
>Fishing Hamlet discovering Kos, being given enlightenment but having Burgerwerth come and start drilling holes into heads and fucking shit up
>Burgerwerth and Yharnamites being cursed forevermore by Orphan of Kos with Vermin
>Ebrietas being discovered in the Chalice Dungeons
>Laurence abandoning Burgerwerth and setting up the healing church
>The school of Mensis wanting to gain insight and sacrificing Yahar'gul

That's before you take all the different "nightmares" into account:
>Gherman's Nightmare being sustained by the Moon Presence
>Micolash's Nightmare being sustained by the Wet Nurse
>Maria's Nightmare being sustained by the Orphan of Kos

Plus there's all kinds of other plots like Iosefka's fake trying to birth a God, the razing of Old Yharnam and the practice of Healing Blood itself.

You can't really explain the story of Bloodborne quickly, you need to look at all the different events that happened in the land and explain them piece by piece until you have a greater understanding of the world.
>>
>>318142423
The Gwyn fight had no weight because there's no context. There's just nonsensical lore piled on you, then the game ends.

Bloodborne's story is told throughout the game, whereas Dark Souls story happened before the game even began.
>>
>>318142685

They're not meant for this world. Kos aborted, Ebrietas is kept hidden under the cathedral, and the Doll is being fucked on the reg by Gehrman
>>
>>318142471
>Cosmic entities wanted kids but instead of kids everyone got space aids.

Not really, Kos had a child. The space aids were a curse brought on by Kos' Orphan in revenge for what Byrgenwerth did to the Fishing Hamlet.
>>
old ones = feminists
>>
File: dweller.jpg (141 KB, 433x325) Image search: [Google]
dweller.jpg
141 KB, 433x325
>>318137571
I know the story of BB pretty well (or at least as well as one can know it) but I'm kinda confused as to where The Old Hunters fits in. I know there was this lady named Maria, who was apparently Gehrman's student/waifu hence the Doll looking the way it does, and that Byrgenwerth did some bad things to some fishing village and pissed off Kos (nobody says Kosm anymore)'s babby so it cursed the Old Blood everyone uses with Beasthood hence the Vermin. But that's about it. I'm still fuzzy on the details.
>>
>>318142471
in the context of X-files

church = gobermant
the good hunter = molder uncovering da truth
ayy lmaos = ayy lmaos
pale blood = HORRIBLE THINGS GONE WRONG on innocent people caused by the gobermant

now just make it post apocalyptic and that's bloodborne
>>
File: 4542432.jpg (30 KB, 330x394) Image search: [Google]
4542432.jpg
30 KB, 330x394
A Furtive Pygmy appears!
>>
>>318142846

Burgerworth = #GG
>>
>>318142591
The church didn't do shit anon.

The Great Ones made the Pthumerians so that they had people to keep them safe while they slept.

Pthumerians fucked them over so they could become cool cosmic fuckers.

They got fucked by fucking and suddenly the great ones aren't real anymore and only exist in dreams while Pthumerians became immortal skeletons on fire.

Eventually some dope ass faggots found the skeletons and thought it was cool as fuck. Then they found slugs that were even cooler. Then they found the abortion ghost queen and thought that was the most rad shit ever.

Then someone took ghost queen blood and created vampires by accident.

Then a squid chick washed up dead in some fishing hamlet and the college guys knew that something even cooler was happening.

Then everyone got space aids because Laurence messed with the blood looking for eyes and now everything is fucked because bitches are pregnant and orphans are pissed.
>>
>>318142717
>Pthumerians discovering the Eldritch Truth and having their Queen be impregnated by Mergo
>Queen be impregnated by Mergo
Mergo was the babby, not the babby daddy. That was probably Oedon, the horny formless bastard. Also he's the one holding the dream together, not the Wet Nurse. She's just there to keep Mergo alive since he's an infant.
>>
>>318142727
You're actively deciding what the second age will be in Dark. And the Gwyn fight had context. Frampt and Kaathe tell you that you'll either succeed him or kill him. He's maintaining the flame for the sake of the world staying in the era of light. Whether that's good or bad is up to you.

Bloodborne has no story to tell. It reveals background information about things that happened long before you arrived. There's a "correct" ending that makes no sense even with the information you can dig up, and no choice in regards to what is right or wrong. Only what's easier and faster. At least the text prompt to end the game helped speedrunners.
>>
>>318142850
They found Kos or killed it. They fucked around with the corpse and that somehow was the straw that broke the camel's back for Willem. Gehrman is an old creep and apparently lusted after a student enough to make a doll out of her. I don't think it has any real meaning.

It's just more shit that happened. Again, people found a god and tried to poke it with sticks until they got aids. Same as always.
>>
Who gave birth to Mergo?

If Ebrietas is a Great One, why/how was she found in the labyrinth?

What are the labyrinths?
>>
>>318142864
He's evolving!
>>
>>318143195
Queen gave birth but Mergo was still born.

Ebrietas didn't go to sleep so she wasn't killed and didn't get stuck in a dream.

Labyrinths are hotels for great ones.
>>
>>318137571
A while ago guys found an ancient ayy lmao lovecraftian being. They began fucking with it. That's where Burgerworth comes in. They start dicking around with its blood, discovering that it has the ability to "cure", but also grant the insight needed to see the aliens in their plain of existence. They take it a bit too far though and start fucking on a fishing town nearby. It's all covered up and shit goes on. Eventually the healing church is formed and they start passing out blood to sick people left and right. What they don't realize is that the blood has vermin in it, which over time makes the host change. The stronger the will of the host and the longer they fight their urges, the more powerful a beast they become (hence cleric beast, vicar, gascoigne). To combat this shit and cover it up, the church starts burning the evidence, but the local yarnhamites see through their bullshit and start calling them out on it. Church panics and decides to rally everyone together towards a common goal and sets up the ye old purge, or as they call it "the hunt". People start killing the beasts, but it all gets out of hand when they begin to turn themselves, killing everything in sight. Your character rolls into town during the night of a hunt. Once given the blood, you gain access to the foreign plain and are brought into the Hunter's Dream. It's where Gehrman pimps out his doll to collect all the blood echoes you earn so he can hand em over to the Pale Moon Presence to retain its power over the other aliens. As you make your way through yarnham slaying everything around you uncover the truth at burgerworth and kill Rom, who was the catalyst for hiding the aliens presence, blending the two plains together. At the end of the night when everything important is dead, you A) get a pat on the ass and severed from the dream B) kill Gehrman and take his place as blood pimp, or C) kill the source of everything and ascend to a greater existence as the new king shit ayy lmao.
>>
Fuck the lore, smoke the draw
>>
File: 1428914335034.jpg (17 KB, 413x356) Image search: [Google]
1428914335034.jpg
17 KB, 413x356
>>318143192
>Again, people found a god and tried to poke it with sticks until they got aids
This is probably the best description for any of Bloodborne's events I've heard.
>>
>>318143195
>Who gave birth to Mergo?
Yharnam, until some jackasses with cages on their heads cut open her belly and decided to use her babby as a cosmic lure.
>>
File: 1447532526583.png (367 KB, 672x684) Image search: [Google]
1447532526583.png
367 KB, 672x684
>>318143248
That's not the pygmy ye anus
>>
would you fuck ebrietas cutie of the cosmos
>>
File: 1448520157784.jpg (145 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1448520157784.jpg
145 KB, 1920x1080
>>318143640
No, but I'd fuck the shit outta Kos (some said Kosm)'s fish lips until her son crawled out of her and beat me to death with his yo-yo placenta-sword.
>>
>>318143415
Thanks for spoiling it asshole
>>
>>318143640
Seems like the unpopular type that would stay home on Friday nights.

So yes.
>>
File: 1442636565605.png (299 KB, 540x532) Image search: [Google]
1442636565605.png
299 KB, 540x532
>>318143798
You come to this thread not expecting this? Where do you think you are?
>>
>>318137571
Basically, all souls games shows its story with the backgrounds, environment, enemy designs, items and weapons and armor descriptions and more.

If you dont stop and observe everything, it will all be lost to you.

Like for example, you can see still fresh dead bodies on the tomb of oedon. Which means that those people were probably out of incense and running to the oedon chapel cathedral ward, but the beasts are just waiting there preying on them.

Gascoigne is basically from what Boletaria used to be and settled down in Yharnam after ending one night hunt.

You can see from the windows of Gascoigne home that there are tattered curtains, signal that Gascoigne is becoming a beast probably all of the blood vials he consumed during the night of his hunt, but is just kept sane by the music box

So, sometimes, stop and pay attention to the surroundings.

I mean, you will encounter statues with their eyes and heads covered. Why is that?
>>
>>318143798
you came to a lore explanation thread

what the fuck were you expecting?
>>
File: 77Willem01.png (753 KB, 3200x3200) Image search: [Google]
77Willem01.png
753 KB, 3200x3200
I have like two questions about the story:

1. What exactly are Blood Echoes aside from currency?

2. What the fuck did Burgerworth do to the fish people village that warranted covering the whole place up and sending Satan in a beast skin cap to repeatedly stab me to death with his giant blood edge mace of fuck you? I know they drilled some holes in some heads to check for eyes, but they've done way sicker shit before. Like turning children into ayylien fetus-cats and women into giant junkie brains.
>>
>>318143946
why are their eyes and head covered?
>>
>>318144061
Storywise, Blood Echoes are basically the strength of the ayy lmao blood.
>>
>>318144061
Blood echoes are vermin in the blood getting stronger.

Byrgenwerth drilled holes in the heads of the villagers looking for eyes.

And because of it hunters have to suffer even though they didn't do anything wrong.
>>
>>318144061
1. Souls. Same shit.

2. Humans in Bloodborne rarely need a reason to do anything. They really, really want to be gods.
>>
Wait so Maria-tan is real right? Gehrman made the doll just to resemble her?
>>
>>318144382
Yes
>>
>>318144382
Yes.
>>
>>318144382
>>318144419
But she died and is in charge of hunter valhalla.
>>
>>318143192
>This is probably the best description for any of Bloodborne's events I've heard.
From what I can gather, Willhelm actually stopped because after gaining a lot of insight, he was terrified of what will happen, so he stopped teaching. That's why Laurance and others broke away from Willhelm and studied on their own.
>>
>>318144487
Why were those brain junkies calling out for her?
>>
>>318144382
I think the doll is actually being controlled by Oedon
>>
>>318143415
Good write up.
>>
File: Dark_Souls_dragon_.jpg (179 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Souls_dragon_.jpg
179 KB, 1366x768
>>318142292
Sorta. All the gigantic infodumps that would normally be large cutscenes or background radio static is forced over to items descriptions instead.
And items in the souls game is scattered around, a lot of them are hidden, and many are long off the path.

Which makes it great. You don't have to masturbate over Gwyndoline if you don't want to. Painted world is misable, and that makes it great.
>>
I always thought that when Iosefka loses it and stands on all fours she's actually being fucked to insanity by Oedon but we can't see him since he's formless and all.
>>
>>318145097
Anon, that's not Iosefka. Kill toad in there and loot its corpse.
>>
>>318142079
It means you are severed from The Hunters Dream, and loses all the gifts you have acquired.
The world of Bloodborne is basically AY LMAOS dragging a city into The Reality That Is The Dream, to see if the Humans can breed more Old Gods.
>>
>>318142282
I still consider the Sunrise ending to be the "good" ending for your character.

Sure you doom Gherman to his Hunter's Dream, but you resolve every other issue Yharnam has to offer. You slay every member of the Healing Church, Mensis, Byrgenwerth. You plunder the Chalice Dungeons and kill all the Pthumerians. You end the nightmares of Mergo and Kos. You end the Hunter's Nightmare and lay Maria and Orphan of Kos to rest. You kill Ebrietas and the Choir which stops the flow of "blood healing" at the source.

By the end of the game, you've taken care of literally every threat and genocided pretty much all of Yharnam. The only thing left is Gherman and the Moon Presence. But they'll be harmless enough considering every other entity in the whole game world is ded. Sure other people could still come to Yharnam and be pulled into Gherman's dream, but with nothing left to hunt, there's nothing to fear.

I'd rather doom Gherman than sacrifice my character.
>>
>>318147045
And you know, with the Yharnam history, the hunts are still going to happen. just like what Gascoigne, Eileen, Djura and other nameless hunters you encounter through the game.

And you are now infected with the blood parasite and turn into a beast sooner or later.
>>
What were Constables and Crows hunting in their countries?
It seems like yharnam is the only one with these problems.
>>
File: 22734715516_f60c37dc0e_b.jpg (213 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
22734715516_f60c37dc0e_b.jpg
213 KB, 1024x576
>>318147538
>Implying a member of The League could carry impure vermin blood

Mighty heretical of you, comrade.
>>
>>318147912
>It seems like yharnam is the only one with these problems.

Not really, Loran and Isz both got super fucked by the beast scourge.
>>
>>318147912
>It seems like yharnam is the only one with these problems.
Probably also Boletaria too, where Gascoigne came from.

But Yharnam is the only city right now in the world of the game, still standing up and has a miraculous blood done by blood ministration.
>>
>>318147045
>But they'll be harmless enough considering every other entity in the whole game world is ded.
Seeing that Moon Presensce is the only Elder One in the entire game? Nothing is stopping him from making more Avatars, since nothing is stopping him from pulling more people into The Dream, and the echos to create the Avatars you have fought in the game is still there.
Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.