[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So after disappointment that was Pillars of Eternity, do you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 8
File: ihopeitsnotshit.jpg (173 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ihopeitsnotshit.jpg
173 KB, 1280x720
So after disappointment that was Pillars of Eternity, do you still have faith in another big kickstarter RPG, Torment :Tides of Numenara ?
>>
>>318046715
>So after disappointment that was Pillars of Eternity
Excuse me? PoE was great.
>>
>>318046715
>disappointment
>>>/out/
>>
Anything is going to be better than the piece of shit Pillars of Eternity.
There's a chance of Torment being good. It's definitely not going to be as bad as PoE. Whether or not it's good we just can't guess.
>>
People thought these crowdfunded crpgs were going to be the second coming of jesus christ but they were all just compentent to good.
>>
>>318047369
Pillars of Eternity was shat out by a mediocre developer in a short time period.
If I remember correctly Torment is getting developed by responsible developers who are using this money to make the game. They have a plan, they knew how much money they needed, they knew how long it's going to take to develop.
Meanwhile Obsidian did the kickstarter thing just so they could get even more money from their developers to waste on a generic uninspired product that simply cashes in on nostalgia.
If any good RPG is coming out of kickstarter it's probably Torment.
>>
>>318047103
It really was, im not saying its shit but its just boring and dull compared to Baldurs gate 2.
I was forcing myself to finish it and i failed after 15 hours, everything about it is just very forgettable.
>>
Pillars of Eternity had a rough start, but I picked it up after the expansion dropped and it seems to be pretty good now. Dunno why people got so butthurt over it.
>>
>>318048328
Because the expansion abandoned writing in favor of combat. PoE's base game had shit writing and was incredibly linear. Only people like >>318046813 >>318047103 who read garbage like Brandon Sanderson enjoyed it.
>>
File: numenera.jpg (1 MB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
numenera.jpg
1 MB, 1600x900
At the very least, Numenera looks super pretty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho5Ye6FDisk
>>
>>318048427
Well, story in Baldur's Gate wasn't exactly the pinnacle of fantasy story-telling either, but it had good gameplay and that's what matters.
>>
>>318046715

I'm not keeping my hopes up, but would obviously like to be proven wrong. PoE was ruined for me by the nonsensical stats system and boring combat mechanics (fuck engagement rules), as well as those godawful backer characers.

Dropped Wasteland as well. I don't know how they managed to make a game which is worse in every respect to the games that it was inspired by more than 10 years ago (yeah, yeah, W1 came before F1 and 2, whatever).
>>
>>318046715
>So after disappointment that was Pillars of Eternity, do you still have faith in another big kickstarter RPG, Torment :Tides of Numenara ?

Not really but i believe in Larian to make another great Divinity game.
>>
>>318048472
PoE was pretty too
>>
>>318048757

They should really outsouce their writing to someone competent though. The gameplay is fine, but I can't stand the dialogue.
>>
>>318048427
Reminds me more of the Drizzt books, which are awesome as fuck and really good for the genre.
>>
>>318048756
The backer characters were so fucking stupid. I made sure to kill every single one.
>>
How exactly do YOU posess the authority to declare what is shit and what is not?
What exactly is good writing in YOUR opinion so that everyone can measure how your values accord to their own?
>>
>>318049102
Most were acceptably written and detracted nothing from the game, you are being autistic, as
> I made sure to kill every single one
aptly shows.
They were even clearly marked as backer content, and if they bothered you in any way, it is your autistic compulsions to click and read them, or your inability to ignore them, not some objective deterioration of the game.
>>
>>318048891
And the itemization
>>
>>318049720
They bother me because there's barely any Npc that isn't backer shit, the world of PoE is empty as fuck
>>
I wonder, the writers of POE are the same guys that wrote Baldurs Gate ?
>>
SJW lead writer
SJW created setting(Monte and Shanna both follow Anita and the cult on twitter, frequently retweet their bullshit)
Turn Based Gameplay
The best writers did very little for it
>>
>>318052446
Your talking about POE or Numenara?
>>
>>318049720
>Most were acceptably written and detracted nothing from the game
>Go to city
>Talk to NPC
>Can't
>Read their mind
>Note: you can only read the mind of backer characters, you can't use this ability to solve quests
>you get a bunch of text completely unrelated to anything in game
Yeah nah
>>
Pillars of Eternity stated out with a good atmosphere but quickly degraded into uninteresting, with few characters or villain motivations properly fleshed out. The stronghold was a pure gimmick.

The combat was extremely limited and easy to exploit too. The hardest enemies were the ghosts in the first town, and only because they were immune or resistant to a ton of shit while your party had only a few levels and a couple attack options.

It was mediocre.
>>
>>318047141
>>318047827
>>318048095
>>318048427
>>318048757
>>318048891

RPG

CODEX

GET

THE

FUCK

OUT
>>
File: obsidian_target_audience.png (30 KB, 470x240) Image search: [Google]
obsidian_target_audience.png
30 KB, 470x240
>>318046715

A bit.

Better writers and Josh Sawyer isn't involved.
>>
>>318054646
What?
RPG Codex likes PoE, they just shat all over the gameplay, which is the complete opposite of what those posts are doing.
>>
>>318046715
PoE combat was absolute dogshit. Why would a game have buttloads of enemies on screen with no benefit to actually killing them all? It's tedious unrewarding game design. I have no faith in another kickstart project.
>>
>>318054801
Well they should be shitting on both.
>>
>People surprised that games like PoE turned out shit
Why?

Have any of you faggots actually gone back to try and play those old cRPGs sans nostalgia? they are fucking awful.
>>
>>318048427
>Brandon Sanderson
Objectively a good author
>>
>>318054637
what was gimmicky about the stronghold? you never played nwn?
>>
>enjoyed PoE greatly
>realize it makes me happy that people here don't like it

Anytime the shit eaters on this board dislike a game I like it's like a validation of my superior taste.
>>
>>318054801
The reviews shat on everything.
But the poll shows that 70% are contend with it.
So it's the reviewers who are being elitists.
>>
Isn't this being made by the Wasteland 2 developers? Wasteland 2 was fucking garbage.

Not hopeful about this one, OP.
>>
>>318057764
Yeah it is. It also isn't Planescape. It's literally a cyberpunk setting with elves, dwarves and humans. It's boring as fuck. Everything that made Planescape interesting isn't present in Numenera.
>>
>>318057764
NO WAY, tell me its not true
>>
>>318046813
91%of the people who bought it didn't finish it, which is saying a a lot for a single player only game focusing on story.

And you can tell by the low steam review count of the expansion how many people actually gave a shit about it or even bought it.
>>
>>318058050

>numenera
>cyberpunk

wow you don't know anything about it
>>
>>318048427
Brandon Sanderson is the best you are insane
>>
>>318057228
I skipped NWN shortly after meeting the dwarf because it was shit, and went straight to NWN2.
>>
>>318058179
fuck off fargo
go make some good games
>>
The recent wave of old school Kickstarted RPGs slapped the nostalgia goggles off quite a few RPGeezers.

So no the new Torment will be judged against the rose colored view of Torment.It will not stand a chance.
>>
>>318048472
UI is terrible
wtf is that "gameplay" chat with a windows scroll bar. At least I suppose this is placeholder
Wtf the party UI is xbox hueg, also those characters are ugly as fuck (dike and red haired feminist?)
And the worst and most worrysome part is how long it takes the text window to show up. The camera has to center, then it rises instead of appearing instantly.

Nothing too major I guess, looks great appart from that
>>
>>318058806
Torment really is that good desu senpai.
>>
>>318057228

The stronghold in NWN 2 actually did shit. The stronghold in Baldurs Gate 2 actually did shit. The stronghold in PoE didn't do shit except force you to navigate a few menus or periodically lose money.
>>
>>318058806
Well i played BG2 for the first time 5 years ago so i dont have any nostalgia googles, and i still think its a great game, combat is kinda messy at times but overall its a fantastic game, POE not so much
>>
>>318054795
>fragile anon can't take a joke tweet
poor baby
>>
>>318056889

Nah. Baldurs Gate 2 is still pretty great. NWN aged like milk and NWN 2 did too but not as badly. Both are still worth a play through though.

The problem with PoE is it's entirely unremarkable. It doesn't do anything better than games almost 20 years older than it. Infact, it doesn't do anything well, it's the definition of mediocre.
>>
>>318059176
some of the environments look nice
>>
>>318059373

But incredibly bland.
>>
>>318059062

That's because BG was never meant to be a balanced system, which made it easy to get ridiculously overpowered, which is actually super fun. Nowadays, designers treat balance as the pinnacle of game design. Every build in PoE is equally effective and equally a chore to play in combat, for different reasons.
>>
>>318059373
That and music was good
>>
>>318059436
they're either nice or bland, you can't be both
>>
>>318059176
NWN's mods still hold up. Its 2nd expansion is good too.
>>
>>318059176

Same thing with W2.
>>
>>318059496

Yeah you can. That's why you still don't have a girlfriend anon.
>>
>>318059454
Although BG was unbalanced it was till hard on first play through or second for that matter.
Its only after you start experimenting with different things you can see how differently you can do things.
You can solo the game with a fighter even.
>>
>>318059512

NWNs problem (and NWN 2s to a degree) is the gameplay is just ass. It's so fucking clunky and a pain to play.

It's modding potential is great though, can't argue with that.
>>
>>318059496

That's just not true. The art in PoE is not bland, the setting is, which retroactively makes everything less interesting.
>>
>>318059821
I didnt play that far in the game but all i rememebr are meadows and meadows and some houses , oh and a cave or two
>>
>>318059728
What?
NWN's gameplay is great and its UI is among my favourites (2's is much worse though)
Its problem is that the vanilla campaigns are crap.
>>
>>318060020

But they are really well drawn plains and meadows is my point. The blandness comes from the fact that we have seen plains and meadows in fantasy games so much that we are completely sick of it. If every game looked like Morrowind or Planescape Torment, meadows and plains would be a breath of fresh air.
>>
File: 1389732598594.gif (983 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1389732598594.gif
983 KB, 500x281
>>318046715
>So after disappointment that was Pillars of Eternity
It was released?
Since when?
>>
>>318046715

I just hope they don'y completely fuck up the game mechanics like they did in PoE.
>>
>>318060385
I agree it looks bland but good, thats why im more interested in Torment as the setting is more interesting then plain old fantasy with grasslands and dragons.
>>
>>318061006

Plain fantasy is what sellls though, unfortunately.
The vast majority of people would rather die then move out of their comfort zone even for a little bit.
>>
>>318061230
Well Skyrim was a small step in the right direction even if all it did was add snow on everything.
The main reason why i was so disapointed by POE is that people already paid for it , they could go and do whatever they wanted and try to surpass BG , yet they chosed to play it all so safe that everything just ended looking very bland and uninspired
>>
>>318061668

They caved in to backer pressure. People were clammoring "We want Baldur's Gate 1!", instead of "We want an RPG with oldschool sensibilities!"
>>
>>318058743

hes right though, you literally and factually just called numenera shadowrun
>>
>>318054801
>>318054801

Um

No.

Different guy here, I DO browse the codex and that game leads to /v/ tier shitposting. There are people on that site that say Mass Effect 3 is good, because "It's at least better than PoE."

People will shitpost that game even if its not logical. "Hey guys! Paradox bought World of Darkness, I hope that some new gam-" "WELL ANYTHING WOULD BE BETTER THAN POE AT THIS POINT AHHHHHH!!!"

"Hey dudes, so, what do you guys think of the new star wars trailer?" "CANT BE WORSE THAN FUCKING POE REEEEEEEEEEEE"

It's been a rough year on the codex.
>>
>>318061006
That sky temple with the dragon boss always blows my mind

But yeah, even BG2 isn't as bland really, it has more than stone hallways and meadows sometimes
>>
>>318048757
>Divinity OS 2
>Has spell mixing

Muh diiiiick hnnnngh
>>
>>318048427
>Brandon Sanderson
Who the fuck is that?
>>
>>318060307
>NWN's gameplay is great
No, no it's not. 3E is garbage and RTwP sucks.
>>
>>318046715
I have no faith in anything in life anymore.
>>
File: Torment MLP connection.png (617 KB, 1120x651) Image search: [Google]
Torment MLP connection.png
617 KB, 1120x651
>>318054795
>>Better writers
Oooh boy, is this the time where I post this
>>
File: Torment priviledge.png (236 KB, 881x536) Image search: [Google]
Torment priviledge.png
236 KB, 881x536
>>318062834
and this I guess too

also one of Numanuma writers is a SJW women but I didn't screenshot her twitter antics and I'm not looking for those now
>>
>>318062834
>about me
>written in third person

WHY
>>
>>318048891
I legitimately don't understand why people get butthurt about Divinity's writing. It's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be.
>>
File: mb_allomantic_webres.jpg (497 KB, 1440x1152) Image search: [Google]
mb_allomantic_webres.jpg
497 KB, 1440x1152
>>318048427
Oh boy I get to post them!
>>
I'm excited for it because I really like Clarke's Third Law. Sure hope it turns out to be good.
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.