[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this game so hated?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 166
Thread images: 19
Why is this game so hated?
>>
Shitty implementation of motion controls
Only three real areas which are endlessly repeated
Fi is the most annoying companion in any Zelda game
>>
>>316827361
cause /v/ hates fun
>>
-Backtrackng
-Massive boring desert
-Fi being more annoying than Navi
-Shit enemy design
and many more
>>
>>316827361
>hated

Who hates it? /v/? It's literally the most dick-sucked Zelda game after OoT
>>
>>316827361
it's the MGSV of zelda
>>
>>316827710
The most dick-sucked after OOT is WW.
Of the 3D Zeldas, SS is easily the least dick-sucked.
OOT > WW > MM > TP > SS
>>
File: 1443089326027.png (9 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
1443089326027.png
9 KB, 480x320
>motion controls that don't work for 50% of people
>Fi
>bad boss fights like The Imprisoned.
>padding (tadtones)
>Fi
>stuck in Forest, Mountain, and Desert areas the whole game.
>one small hub with NPCs
>Fi
>a worse "overworld" than WW with even less to explore and find.
>menu prompts every time you pick something up.
>"Master, there''s a 100% chance I'll be annoying as shit and tell you puzzle solutions without you asking."
>>
>>316827361
It has good gameplay
Something 3D Zeldas never had before
>>
>>316828197
>Motion controls
>Good gameplay
Kekking my ass off over here
>>
>>316827361

>people are too stupid to set up their sensor bar properly

That's the reason why people hate it
>>
Unpopular opinion:

I liked the motion controls, they were fun (except for the stabbing, obviously)
>>
The only 2 things I hated were Fi stopping your ass every 2 minutes to make sure you know what you are doing if you didn't catch it the first 5 times and the motion controls needing to be reset every 20 seconds the over world was pretty bland too I guess that makes 3.
>>
>>316828589
>Liking something new
>Liking gimmicks
>LIKING ANYTHING BY NEO-NINTENDO
>LIKING A GAME AT ALL

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

This is what I expect neo/v/ to respond to your post with

This is what I expect people are going to reply with
>>
The 8-directional motion control was one of the only things I liked about this game.

But they never did ANYTHING creative with it! I swear to god you're fighting Bokoblins that entire game. Forest? Bokoblins. Desert? Sand bokoblins. Volcano? Magma bokoblins. And how do Bokoblins fight? They block but have an opening, and you swing for that opening. Every single time.

Every single enemy! They block, and you swing in the one direction they aren't blocking. It never gets more creative or exciting than this.
>>
The only real complaint is Fi.

>but motion controls
You are just a retard.

>but calibrate
Let's you position your hand in any way while still being able to aim

>same areas
No, you fucking liar. You unlock new areas every time you go back. You're not doing the same shit like Phantom Hourglass.

Ignore anyone who complains about the above. They're just parrots.
SS was fun as fuck. Swinging your sword correctly is a much better combat system then wait, wait, wait, now attack.
>>
>>316827361
Because egoraptor does the thinking for me

He is never wrong
>>
>>316827821
I'd argue that MM gets dicksucked more than WW these days, especially with how much demand there was for MM3D
>>
Good things about Skyward Sword:

>motion controls are surprisingly responsive
>some of the items are really cool like the Beetle
>game is visually impressive for the Wii
>that one water temple with the multi armed sword boss
>time stones
>Zelda and Groose
>the end sequence where Ghirahim is spawning dozens upon dozens of enemies and you're just mowing them down
>the first time you fight a Stalfos is hype
>crafting is a cool idea (very poorly implemented)

That's about everything positive I remember from the game. I really didn't enjoy my time with it.
>>
Remember that time in Skyward Sword where you fight the same stupid boss three times?

Remember that time Nintendo implemented a mechanic called "Tears of Light" in TWO Zelda games, and it was fucking awful in both?
>>
File: 1446453536050.png (1 MB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1446453536050.png
1 MB, 1280x960
>>316827361
I'm not mad at it. I'm just disappointed.
>>
this game is steaming shit on a platter but the first time you fight Demise and you lift your sword up and lightning strikes it, I got fucking hype
>>
>>316827954

all of this and it still got heavily shilled by the media
>>
remember when EDGE gave this game a 10 and people were like "EDGE never lies"
>>
>>316827954
>motion controls that don't work for 50% of people
In Nintendo's defense, can you really blame them for this? The motion controls actually work. I don't know why so many people say how bad they are.

I get there are some quirks. Like, If you swing in one direction, and then pull back to swing again, the game might mistake the pull back as a second swing. That shit is kind of annoying. But otherwise, they work.

I'm guessing that there are a lot of people who are just uncoordinated nerds. That's why they're so invested in Zelda in the first place.
Luckily, I actually used to play sports on the street with friends. So I know how to move my body.
>>
>Fi is pee
>areas are basically broken into levels
>compounding the last point is the game's completely linear progression
>sky overworld is WW V2: Let's Not Even Try Edition
>story sucks even for Zelda
>stupid bug (?) with collecting items every time you play
>bad pacing
>some boring locations (TWO lava dungeons?)
>motion controls don't add much good stuff to gameplay as expected
>>
>>316829474
this this this

MM is for hipsters
>>
>>316830692
>In Nintendo's defense, can you really blame them for this? The motion controls actually work. I don't know why so many people say how bad they are.
Considering Red Steel 2 did the same shit much better, yes. We can.
>>
because /v/ is too stupid to grasp that flailing around like an idiot cant help them beat ghirahim, so they quit before his first fight and shitposted it into oblivion
>>
The game's got no depth. It feels AFRAID of depth, even. The entire time you're playing it feels like it wants to do everything in its power to make sure the player is never lost or stuck or confused. It introduces all sorts of new mechanics that have plenty of potential but it does fuck all with them because that would require making the game more complicated, so instead they just sit there and do nothing important.

The artstyle wanted to bridge the gap between dark Zelda and light Zelda but mostly just wound up being inconsistent, where half the game looks okay and the other half looks horribly out of place.

Only things it really did exceptionally well were the time shift areas and some of the dungeon aesthetics.
>>
>>316830976
it's funny that you mention this

watching previews and demos for this game I got so fucking hype for the ghirahim fight because it seemed like he was actually countering and parrying your attacks on the fly

but then you play the game and nope
he's actually just another incredibly simple pattern-based enemy

because why would you want a real sword fight in a sword fight game hehe xd
>>
>>316830913
I never played Red Steel. So I can't agree or disagree to that. But assuming that's true. That Red Steel did it better. Does that make SS's controls inadequate? Regardless of Red Steel, I could handle SS's controls just fine.
>>
>>316829893

Well, at least Skyward's Tears of Light are a tense stealth section instead of "I saw you so you lose" stealth like in Wind Waker. then they decided to throw in that kind of stealth anyway. fucking eldin
>>
>>316827361
Ham fisted wii motion controls

Awkward washed colours to appease both WW and TP babies

Forgetable boss battles save for a couple of them.
>>
>best art style
>comfy music
>fun outside of dungeons unlike every other 3D Zelda
>still has fun dungeons
>shield upgrading

People are just mad that we didn't have a giant fucking sky to explore which sucks but there isn't a single 3D Zelda with a fun overworld.
>>
>>316828510
Actually the sensor bar isn't really used in SS. It uses the built in accelerometer in combination with the gyroscope in the Wii-motion plus. Not that you ever need the sensor bar anyway as the infrared sensor is in the wii remote not the bar so anything that creates infrared light will do. Not as effectively but still.
>>
File: 1408142203307.jpg (687 KB, 1200x1014) Image search: [Google]
1408142203307.jpg
687 KB, 1200x1014
>Shitty motion controls
>Final boss can only be beat with said motion controls
>>
>>316827361
This is when Nintendo betrayed my trust.

Twilight Princess has a messy beginning, but once you get past all that wolf nonsense, the game actually becomes good.

Skyward Sword never becomes good. I think this game marks the beginning of the end for Nintendo's credibility in games.
>>
It made me exert physical energy.

Also fuck skyblocks. Crafting was a neat idea, but poorly implimented since anything you made was either useless or it was quicker to just get a better item (ie Hyrule Shield)
>>
>>316830692

>I'm guessing that there are a lot of people who are just uncoordinated nerds.

after a lot of swings the motion control start screwing up and need to be recalibrated again, (which is doubly annoying when the game start throwing enemy with electrified weapon and you end up being punished simply because you temporarily broke the controller from pushing buttons too much for the game liking)

and you can do the most beatiful lunge ever like you were a fencing champion and the game still won't sometime pick up your thrust (which again it's annoying in the final girahim fight were the thrust is the only thing that works)

wii sport resort suffered from all the same problem and yet i can call the motion control in that game shit because it has no retarded fanbase
>>
>>316831880

>electric moblins start appearing
>fuck this, I dont want to keep dealing with their bullshit
>pull out other weapons to stun them first, then go in with the sword

pretty satisfying, desu
>>
>>316827361
dunno, i love it. Best 3D Zelda.
>>
>>316832112
>Best 3D Zelda.
objectively wrong

it can be your favorite but it's not the best
>>
>>316831880
You know what. I forgot about the thrust. That was another annoying thing.
But I don't know what you mean by the controls losing calibration after so many swings. I just don't remember that. At times, it would need recalibrating when you're doing stuff like maneuvering the beetle. But that was simple enough with the button prompt to reset calibration.
>>
>>316831880

I never had a problem other than a handful of times where link just drunkily slapped the enemy with his sword for 0 damage because my swing was either too fast or not fast enough.

I actually found the thrust to be the most reliable attack and used it for most of the game.
>>
Awful pacing
The Sky
Hyrule is bland

It gets real fun once you're in a dungeon though and I love the boss fights, except for the imprison.
>>
>>316830976
"You only don't like Skyward Sword because you're lazy and only flail around!" is the "you only don't like DmC because of Dante's hair!" of Zelda.
>>
>>316833671

not really

complaining about something that only applies to 50% of the userbase and actually trying to swing the remote like a sword as compared to a drunk dumbass is completely different
>>
I love SS, but it's not without it's problems.

There is no real overworld.
The last two areas are essential revisits, at least the forest got flooded upon the second visit and was different.
Nothing to actually do in the Sky, it's a lot like WW's seas. There are fun islands and stuff to do here and there, but most of them just feel pointless.
The combat with the Wii Mote (even the plus) can be a bit wonky at times and other times it's just waggle like crazy and it still works.
>>
Because most people here emulated it on dolphin which controls abbhorently.

The controls were god tier on Wii and probably the perfect example aside from Wii sports on how motion controls can change the way you play.
>>
>>316827361
I enjoyed it, the motion controls always worked perfectly for me and the fact that you could recenter the reticle with a simple button press made aiming really simple. Rolling bombs around was also great. I can understand that, if people had trouble with it, the game might become an absolute chore to play, however. Still it felt far more quicker and responsive than Red Steel 2, which felt horribly sluggish for some moves.

The main problem with the game is that it lays down a ton of ideas, literally just throwing every concept they had for the wiimote to see what would work, without going too deep into any of them. More than that, they made you retread too much ground, even if the areas went deeper and become more extreme as you explored them, it didn't give off that idea of experiencing something new. Likewise, the sky just seemed like an afterthought, it was large and empty and hardly interesting and could've been a little village in the forest where everyone is afraid to leave if they didn't want link to have a bird companion.

The running was a good addition, the map marking was an interesting concept that went nowhere, the beetle and the whip were fun items to have replace the boomerang, but seemed less intuitive. Fi was a terrible character and tremendous wasted potential when seeing how she looked in the original concept art. The harp was fun but hardly on the level of the ocarina, it needed more than wiimusic level of control. Swimming worked alright for me, but some people seem to absolutely hate it.

It felt like the precursor to the best zelda game, where they would keep all that worked and replaced all that didn't, but with their abandoning of motion controls, it's fated to just be that odd game that had a shit-ton of new concepts that only apply to itself, like Wind Waker with its ocean or Adventure of Link with its sidescrolling gameplay

I'd still rate it higher than TP
>>
>>316827361
its just not enjoyable at all. Its easier to list what it did right since theres almost nothing good about it.
>groose's character and theme
>fire temple and cistern asthetics
that's it. Those are the only good things I remember in the game.
>>
>>316833814
The point is both situations are about ignoring the loads of legitimate complaints in favor of boiling the opposition down to an easy to beat strawman.
>>
>>316834905

how does an objectively wrong complaint about waggling count as an easy to beat strawman?
>>
>>316827821
>>316829474
>>316830837

>tfw there used to be (and still are) endless amounts of people who thought MM was underrated

that game was always so fucking popular on its own, just not to the level of OoT
>>
File: SS_Lizalfos_E3.png (435 KB, 812x456) Image search: [Google]
SS_Lizalfos_E3.png
435 KB, 812x456
>>316831880
Lizalfos are the fucking worst when it comes to fighting. Those two in the desert pissed me off to no end.
>>
>>316827581
>having fun with skyward sword
>>
>>316827361
First Zelda game I played that sucked absolute ass.
Piss easy, Fi telling me what other characters just told me, nothing to explore etc.

Objectively not a bad game. But a shitty Zelda game.
>>
>>316835090
Because it's misrepresenting all of the detractors as just being lazy/unable to play the game properly even though a ton of the complaints about the game have nothing to do with the controls.
>>
I did the first dungeon and never touched the game again.

I can't even necessarily say I didn't enjoy what I played, I just lost all urge to pick it up again after that, and then got distracted by other things.

Ended up selling it several months later.
>>
>>316835967
Funny because even in a lot of the posts you linked motion controls were just one thing in a long list of complaints, and even then that's only six posts out of the whole thread.
>>
Since were talking about zelda. What did yall think of Oracle or ages/seasons. I feel its the most underrated zelda game out there
>>
File: dog.jpg (39 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
dog.jpg
39 KB, 600x450
>>316827361
No one wants gimmicks anymore. It's been too long since we've had a Zelda title that isn't puzzle shit, isn't gimmicks shit, and does something that pushes the series forward both from a design standpoint and mechanically. It's all been "Make this ZELDA STYLED GAME...ok now throw some intrusive shit in there no one really wants!" instead of "Well let's think on how we can push art style, dungeon and world design, combat, memorable music, and great characters into another Zelda title that simply doesn't follow a flowchart".

I think despite it being ok, Majoras masks was the moment they realized they could make a flowchart Zelda game and sell it and people would buy it anyway just because. They stopped caring and trying. Honestly the whole current Zelda team needs to be fired and Aonuma removed from Nintendo entirely because he's a huge flaming casual. I'm willing to bet the Mario kart team or even retro could make a better fucking Zelda.
>>
>>316835967

out of 63 posts, some of which are ours, and some of which are people saying they liked the game or disclaiming peoples complaints
>>
>>316827361
It literally contrdicts the end of Wind Waker entirely. And the plot was shit for the most part, plus the usual linear as fuck, excessive bactracking (I backtracked more in this game than in the first half of Oot), Fi being a retarded bitch (Navi may be annoying, but she was useful as fuck for Z-targeting and shit), and overall trying to be another Oot (except at that point TP already existed).
>>
I didn't mind waggle swordplay
I minded waggle being shoehorn into vitually everything
>>
http://strawpoll.me/6024876

come on, guys, let's settle it
>>
>>316836194
They're pretty good at what they do. But I feel like they are a tad overrated. I played them after hearing about how they're so amazing. And from what I can gather, they're pretty much like ALttP only a bit more linear, and with more scripted events. Which makes those games suffer the same problem a lot of Zldas have. Where you can't skip any of the events. Making everything feel scripted. And the bit of exploring you can do, is slowly unlocked after triggering scripted events. So you can't even really explore much, without the game giving you permission.

Again. They're good at what they do. which is feed the player a stream of engaging content, while offering a faux sense of explorations. But I would not use them as a template for future titles.
>>
>>316836684
>Twilight Princess that high already.
I don't want to believe in the Zelda cycle. But damn if things aren't happening exactly as it predicted.
>>
>>316836361
am I the only one who never thought navi was annoying? I have no idea how that meme even started and based on how bad fi was it almost seems like nintendo was convinced they wanted her to match those memes considering how painfully annoying she was
>>
>>316828589
exactily this, the only thing that was not consistant for me was stabs
>>
It committed many cardinal sins. It's still pretty good though, worth the playthrough for sure.
>>
>>316836194

best music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poo14Yp7zAc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhJeKznfkKA&list=PLZzKhgUfPukCSGsScbG7XKXl-8LX1hZ_4&index=20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOFNU_cVhv0&list=PLZzKhgUfPukCSGsScbG7XKXl-8LX1hZ_4&index=26

fuck the tokay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAwe8gbhpRw&index=4&list=PL2F0B084555138765
>>
>>316837227
Navi was slightly annoying. But not so much to make an epic meme about it.
the annoring thing, was that once she decided she needed to tell you something, she wouldn't stop prompting you until you exhausted her dialog.

So if you just ignore her, then go to a new screen, it only takes a short moment before she prompts again.
>>
>>316836194
best 2D zeldas in my humble opinion
>>
>>316837227
Navi being annoying always struck me as one of those "HAHA RIGHT US GAMERS HUH? THE CAKE IS A LIE!" type of jokes that's mostly made by people who don't know shit about games but know just enough to get a reference.

I guess she could be seen as annoying if you have a very, very low threshold for that sort of thing.
>>
File: And here we go.png (81 KB, 234x222) Image search: [Google]
And here we go.png
81 KB, 234x222
>>316837205
You surprised? The gamecube generation is getting older now, so it's going to be a lot of new adults nostalgia game. If Zelda 2 was on that list I woulda voted for it. The cycle isn't someone suddenly accepting that the game wasn't garbage, the quality of the game doesn't just change. It's the slow move towards people who grew up with garbage having nostalgia for it because they didn't know what came before it was factually better. The majority on this website is the younger millenials now, so of course the Xbox/Gamecube/PS2 generation is going to be most important to them.
>>
>>316837723
Sometimes you can't stop her prompting you though, while you're in the same room, like in boss fights. That's why she's annoying.
>>
>>316836287
She honestly wasn't that bad. I just press the up button and skipped through her dialouge. In plus, she only does it every so often, so she's not just fucking with the player's patience
>>
>>316837870
I'm not surprised. I just said I didn't want to believe it.
I was betting on the quality degrading to the point where even nostalgia couldn't redeem it's reputation.
Honestly, SS might break the cycle. There's no way nostalgia can save that game. R-right?
>>
>>316837856
To those of us that are older, and at the time of release liked figuring things out for themselves, Navi came as a great annoyance as she was a constant handholding intrusion. Instead of letting us figure out how the game works, she was there as a constant gameplay stopper making you stop and read what she says constantly like a reminder to ADD children that cant focus on videogames.

>>316838165
I think you quoted the wrong post son.

>>316838202
Probably will to be honest, the new generation of casuals defend waggle with the Wiimote with bared teeth like its the second coming of gimmick christ.
>>
>>316837990
Huh? You should be able to exhaust her dialog at any time, and that should make the prompts go away. Does she even prompt in boss rooms?
>>
>>316837205

i'm not a big fan of 3d zelda, but twilight princess is my favourite because i think of all the 3d zelda it was the one that it feel like they actualy gave a fuck about

like every dungeon has it's own miniboss and boss, each miniboss and boss has it's own music, there are some cool original items like the spinning top or the iron mace, i still remember that hilarious ice dungeon with the evil possesed yeti as the boss, that was THE SHIT

plus i guess it also doubled as a wii launch title
>>
>people still misunderstanding the mechanics of the "zelda cycle"
>2016-1
>>
>>316827581
This
>>
>>316838298
>Probably will to be honest, the new generation of casuals defend waggle with the Wiimote with bared teeth like its the second coming of gimmick christ.
But I was born in 86, and I defend the motion controls. They weren't a gimmick. I don't know why so many people use the term. They were an attempt at evolving the way people interact with the game. That came short of many players expectations.
>>
>>316827361
Repetitive boss fight
The story was a stupid copout and it was based on fan theories
The areas were didn't reward exploration
Fi was annoying
Motion control sucks
Collecting the treasures was a chore
No gorons, zoras or kokiri

That said, the fire temple was great, especially the boss fight
And the desert was fun to explore
The collecting gems being chased around by the phantom things was cool and kinda like phantom hourglass
>>
>>316838341
You're kidding right?
Do you know how easy it would be to rewrite your post for any other Zelda game? You didn't really say anything that sets TP apart.
>>
I don't know how you can enjoy this game without denying reality.

It's objectively so flawed to the point of not even being fun to play.
>>
File: nip nong.png (512 KB, 582x614) Image search: [Google]
nip nong.png
512 KB, 582x614
>>316838590
Because it was never succesfully implemented in a way that people wanted. Wiimote was supposed to be and was marketed as a 1:1 replication of movements of real objects such as swords and tennis racquets and such, and if it actually accomplished this without feeling like crap I woulda loved it as well.

Instead what we actually got felt poorly implemented, gimmicky, and waggly and shaky. Most games the Wiimote was used in regardless of Wiimotion+ or not felt like it was tacked on or forced or simply not designed for it. It was slow, buggy, unintuitive and downright INVASIVE.

Wiimote deserves all the hate it gets, and I say this as another 86fag.
>>
>>316838916

nice opinions, fag
>>
>>316838763
>i'm not a big fan of 3d zelda, but ocarina of time is my favourite because i think of all the 3d zelda it was the one that it feel like they actualy gave a fuck about
>like every dungeon has it's own miniboss and boss, each miniboss and boss has it's own music, there are some cool original items like the hover boots or the eye of truth, i still remember that hilarious ice dungeon with the evil possesed wolfos as the boss, that was THE SHIT
>plus i guess it also doubled as a flagship n64 title
>>
>>316838341
unlike those fags i'm on your wavelength
>>
>>316838298
I doubt the people who spout that meme were old enough to think that way about Navi. You'd have to be in your mid 30s by now. I ignored her fine when I played it(pretty sure I never checked what she said). Maybe when I replay it eventually I'll see. I havent played it since master quest on gamecube though
>>
This game is the logical conclusion of Nintendo's recent development style.

Safe, clean, holding your hands, all the rough edges and corners sanded down to a squeaky little baby adventure where nothing can hurt you and you color perfectly inside the lines.

Where's the imagination? Where's the grit and grime, where's the thing that makes it worthwhile and bold? It's not fucking there. Go to the forest place, do the dungeon, get the item, backtrack and deliver the item. Go to the volcano place, do the dungeon, get the item, backtrack and deliver the item. Go to the desert place, backtrack and deliver the item.
>>
>>316838975
Failure at implementation, does not make something a gimmick.
That would be like say
>Jumping in 3D games is a gimmick, because I played Bubsy 3D, and it was buggy and unintuitive and downright INVASIVE.
>>
>>316836194

Been a long time since I've played them and I unfortunately never finished them, but one of the funnest parts I remember was running into Maple and scrambling to pick up whatever better items she dropped.
>>
>>316839496
gimmicks being inherently bad is a meme
>>
>>316827361
Motion control.
Fake large areas.
Fi won't stop.
>>
File: weaboo jones.png (189 KB, 345x378) Image search: [Google]
weaboo jones.png
189 KB, 345x378
>>316839351
Really I did. I was 12 or 13 when OOT came out, and I found her as a limitation and nothing but a hindrance.

>>316839496
You're fighting terminology here against a collective of people much larger than yourself. Wiimote is a gimmick, it was a succesful one that sold consoles but you're not flipping terminology to slide acceptance for it with me. Wiimote is and will always be a gimmick, just like gyros, and just like augmented reality. Unlike touch or rumble this gimmick did not stick and become a standard, no one cares anymore which is why WiiU is dead.

tl;dr Wii used a gimmick to sell well, that gimmick was the wiimote. End of story.
>>
File: 1.png (245 KB, 551x537) Image search: [Google]
1.png
245 KB, 551x537
I actually thought the motion controls were well executed. Sword could've been better mechanically (instead of just diagonal cuts) but using it for the sword, beetle, bow, bowling and basketball bombs.. all was pretty good. Swimming wasn't even that bad.

The reasons it's my least favorite 3D zelda:
#1: Skyworld appears like it's going to be a huge, explorable Windwaker-esque cloud world. It's literally nothing except the entrance to the ground stuff.

#2: Fi

#3: Shit, even by Zelda standards, origin story for the whole setting.

#4: certain graphical elements look SERIOUSLY out of place. I didn't really like the watercolors to begin with, but they would be fine if it weren't for certain monster designs. I mean, downright fucking awful. Pic related.

You get a neat kraken tentacle attack on a ship, cool! And then Tentalus pops out, looking like a fucking intern's first attempt at a muppet model. Robots in zelda? The fuck? And of course, The Imprisoned... who you fight the same fucking fight at THREE TIMES. And every time I was cringing because it looks like a McDonald's monster with teeth.

All that being said, the game is worth playing and beating. There are some cool things in it. Ancient Cistern as a whole. The aforementioned ship (before you see the gay boss), seeing Impa. I even liked Ghiraham. Fire Sanctuary wasn't bad, either.

The coolest thing in the game, though, was the new item system. A separate bag of optional goodies and your main bag, full of upgradeable main stuff. Good job on this idea, except for hunting down random bugs and shit got kind of tedious. (and was totally unnecessary since the game was FUCKeasy)

I wish they wouldn't have introduced items that you only use for a third of the dungeon you find them in. The whip, digging mitts and gust bellows are all obvious examples.

Game is probably a 6/10 to me.
>>
>>316839571
Yea, good point too. I mean, you could have worded it better
>meme
But otherwise, valid.
>>
>>316839571
>>316839496
>>316839869
Samefag.
>>
>>316839869
>>316839571
>>316839496
Samefagging so hard, this is why we need poster id's.
>>
File: ayanami.png (91 KB, 288x292) Image search: [Google]
ayanami.png
91 KB, 288x292
>people think Twilight Princess is good now
>>
File: why are you such fags.png (14 KB, 550x334) Image search: [Google]
why are you such fags.png
14 KB, 550x334
>>316839934
>>316840051
>>
File: 1438810167539.jpg (123 KB, 600x912) Image search: [Google]
1438810167539.jpg
123 KB, 600x912
>>316840117
>people finally realized that there was a gamecube version
>>
File: 1227[1].jpg (94 KB, 1237x690) Image search: [Google]
1227[1].jpg
94 KB, 1237x690
>one of the best dungeons in Zelda

>ruin it at the climax with THIS SHIT

I don't know what they were thinking. How hard is it to make a cool looking sea monster/kraken/octopus boss? How is this the best you could do?
>>
>>316840117
This >>316839825 anon here. TP was overall pretty good. I think the entire game would be considered one of the top 5 Zeldas if it were just more difficult. I caught a fairy at the beginning of the game and had that same fucking fairy when I beat Ganondorf at the end. That's just absurd. Why would they spend so much time developing something only to have it be so handholdy?

That, and they should've only used the wolf-bughunt mechanic once...
>>
>>316839812
>You're fighting terminology here against a collective of people much larger than yourself.
No I'm not, I'm arguing logic, against one other anon's logic. And he's wrong.
Let's drop the terminology, and just describe what it is:
A mechanic that was meant to evolve the way players interact with games, but ultimately came short, due to lack of engineering prowess.
>>
>>316840293
>Mothers say wata boss scare they childrune
>Mak wata boss more kawaii
>>
>>316840351
And one that spawned a Sony knockoff, at that. The wiimote, to me, is just Nintendo trying to get their motion tech better to utilize in newer stuff. It was never going to make every console use motion-sensitive remotes.
>>
File: 1383544173621.png (34 KB, 182x229) Image search: [Google]
1383544173621.png
34 KB, 182x229
>>316836194
Replaying both after many years I felt Ages has a harsh drop as soon as you get the Mermaid Tail. The puzzles in the dungeons just take way more time and get more irritating(Especially the one where you have to light up all the tiles for the hookshot, and the one where you have to keep switching the direction of the spinners then go a huge amount around to get to the proper one) while getting the Tune of Ages feels like too little too late. For me it felt like it peaked at Symmetry Village and never really recovered after that.

Seasons was great all around, and I love the Rod of Seasons on top of Subrosia. Not to mention it has Roc's Cape and the Magnet Gloves. The only thing I don't really care for are Moosh and Dimitri's areas. Ricky's is the only one I really enjoy in it.

The ring collecting is an absolute mess though, especially with Maple's exclusive rings and Gasha rings. Without savestates it's hours of grinding in hope of Maple actually giving you any, let alone ones you want, and Gasha seeds are expensive.
>>
File: squid.jpg (35 KB, 390x274) Image search: [Google]
squid.jpg
35 KB, 390x274
>Trial of Courage
>you have to collect objects around the map while being chased by unkillable enemies who OHKO you
Oh hey, this is pretty cool. It fits with the theme of Courage. You have to be brave in the face of danger and overcome these enemies.

>Trial of Strength
I bet this is gonna be a really strong enemy or something. Or an endurance test!

>it's the item collecting again

>Trial of Wisdom
>it's not a puzzle
>it's the fucking collecting for a third time
>>
go play a good zelda like oot or mm, and youll see why
>>
>>316827361

Give it a few years and opinion will flip on it. You know how the Sonic Cycle's a thing? There's a Zelda Cycle too.
>>
File: obama-laughing.jpg (406 KB, 2000x1125) Image search: [Google]
obama-laughing.jpg
406 KB, 2000x1125
>>316840293

>watching SS review
>"and at the end of the dungeon you fight mike from monster inc mom"
>>
>>316840293

Reminds me of this nigga combined with sid the science kid
>>
I have played every Zelda game ever made and skyward sword is the only one I didn't finish other than the CD-I games
>>
>>316840734
That sucked. They should have made the other 2 collection tests optional mini games. And allow you alter the difficulty. They can say it's for "training" or whatever.

And then make unique tests for strength and wisdom.
>>
The hub was empty, had to redo each area like three times which felt incredibly lazy and tedious. It didn't make me feel any more connected to the game world at all, it just made me wish I had better areas to explore.

Going to the spirit realm or whatever just felt like a mini game that I had to do a bunch of times.

Motion controls didn't work very well most of the time.

Only Zelda game I finished once and never touched again. The only part that was memorable was jumping off Skyloft and then fighting the last boss.
>>
>>316840293
At least we got servo
>>
>>316827361
For many people the controls were terrible
>but I didn't
well fucking nice for you but for a significant amount they did not

Even when the combat does work it is just a very slow simon says

No proper overworld but a lot of backtracking

The sky is boring, empty and adds nothing

Way too much hand holding, especially Fi who will literally come out when something was just explained to say it again

The "go collect these 3 objects" feels even more forced than usual

The imprisoned

The story has fuck all to it but drags on, only good bit was Groose and if you are some shitty waifu fag then this Zelda is made into a perfect childhood friend
>>
>>316827361
Backtracking.

Padding.

Buggy controls.

Wasted sky area.
>>
God Fi was so annoying.
>>
>>316827361
Someone post the courage the cowardly dog and little Muriel pic with the Zelda games for op to awnser his question
>>
>>316840772
theres no sonic cycle. they all suck after 2d era
>>
>A game set before any other zeldas!
>Oh but all the interesting stuff happened in the past and now they are ruins
Stop it
>>
>>316840629
I don't think it was going to make every other game require motion controls either. But image for a moment. Hypothetically speaking. In all ideals. Say the motion controls worked perfectly. And they felt natural. And 95% of everyone was satisfied, if not super happy about the motion controls.
From that point on, that would be the only way to play Zelda. They couldn't have another console Zelda without motion controls every again.

It's kind of like Siri for the iphone. Voice recognition was spotty at first. And then Siri came around, and the technology finally evolved to the point where you can just talk into your phone, and it will listen. It became a game changer. What many people would have wrote off as a gimmick.
Now, phones must have voice recognition. You can never make a new phone without it ever again, until we finally learn how to get phones to read our thoughts.

but imagine if Siri didn't work. And imagine if that technology was still kind of janky. Everyone would be crying "GIMMICK. SIRI'S A GIMMICK".
>>
>>316841756
No. Adding lore and mystery helps perpetuate the sense of wonder. If there were no traces of the past, then it would be boring. Just having all the events cleanly laid out, is trite.
>>
>>316841759
>but imagine if Siri didn't work. And imagine if that technology was still kind of janky.
That's exactly right though

I have never once seen anyone ask their phone something and it work first time and it is always easier just to write it
>>
this game has some cool bits, but as an overall package it's wholly unmemorable, unsatisfying, and only talked about because it has the zelda name
>>
>>316841896
You can have an interesting past without it being all gone and ruins now.
>>
>>316841997
No need to lie, anon.
>>
This game would have been way more ambitious and improved in every way, if you could trek the entire ground area on foot.

You have the volcano land and the forest land, but what's in between?

There's this Goron guy that follows you around with a map and doesn't do anything, where's he from? Death Mountain? Can we go there? Why not make him a character instead of literally nothing?
>>
>>316842430
But anon, why make the characters in the world interesting when we can make loads in the sky interesting!

I mean there is Groose and..........
>>
-worst companion in any video game ever

-the instrument is fucking dumb

-the volcano area is fucking garbage

-the game is piss easy

-not enough areas

-3 hour intro of doing nothing

-sky is emptier than WW's ocean

-"side quests" are just fetch quests

-the new items aside from the beetle are forgettable

-LOLTHEIMPRISONED

Glad I could clear this up OP. THe only redeemable section was the desert
>>
>>316831549
no, that was other M
>>
I think matthewmatosis described the problem with the controls best in his video

If you have a button that didn't work a 100% of the time then that would be seen as a major fault that needs to be fixed. I'd add to that if a button need to be recalibrated while playing that would also be seen as a major fault
>>
>>316840772
is the sonic cycle the one where all the games are bad?
>>
>>316842824
I don't know. Other M was Sakamoto (known crazy) and Team Ninja.

Skyward Sword was Nintendo EAD. They make THE Nintendo games. And it was the first core "developed by the hotshots at Nintendo" game where I thought wow, this game is actually just fucking terrible.
>>
>MM made in 18 months with small team
>one of the best zelda games ever

>SS made in 5 years with big team
>one of the worst

what the fuck happened? Will nintendo finally stop catering to casuals now that the wiiu failed?
>>
>>316843483
Big team, but the same guys still at the top. They just don't really know what they are doing any more

This is especially obvious as when they let the new talent do stuff you get something new and inventive, splatoon
>>
>>316843695
but ALBW was great and TP was very enjoyable too. None of the 3D zeldas were bad. What went wrong with SS?
>>
>>316843483
>implying SS was made with the engine of a bigger, previous game
>>
>>316843890
engine has nothing to do with gameplay design
>>
>>316843890
If I remember correctly, OoT was made in about 2-3 years, so the argument still stands
>>
>>316843805
twilight princess is bad
>>
>>316844286
despite what you think, it's still far more enjoyable than SS
>>
>>316827361
wagglan
casualization
fi being shit
>>
>>316844353
yes but that doesn't make it good
>>
>>316844286
TPs problem is the lack of advancement to the series. It is still a pretty competent game, some interesting story elements and Midna is great but at it's base it is just OoT again with a new skin.

SS tries to do a lot but doesn't commit to any of them enough for it to be interesting. This makes stuff feel half baked and the returning general zelda elements feel more played out
>>
>>316843483
MM also reused assets from OoT
>>
>>316845057
see>>316844059

purely gameplay related
>>
>>316827620
>boring desert
not in Skyward Sword
>>
>>316845245
It has one good bit with the boat, people always forget the rest
>>
>>316845769
I loved all of it. That moment where your map is altered is just perfect.
>>
>>316845769
not him but the desert is one of the best areas in zelda. It has a unique, persisting mechanic that is twisted and changed throughout the area. The overworld and dungeons were great as well, the only bad thing was the pirate ship boss

It's a gem in the pile of shit that was SS
>>
The game for me is a mixed bag. Something like a 6/10. The game has some fantastic highs, but they're counterbalanced by some terrible lows. Personally I really enjoyed the bossfights, dungeons and swordfighting (for the most part), as well as finally giving Link a 'run' maneuver in a 3D game. There's plenty of flaws though, from the barren sky, to the tedious sidequests, to the dousing and hand-holding, to the forced motion controls.

You have to remember that Skyward Sword was the first 3D zelda in FIVE YEARS at the time of its release. The hype was absolutely phenomenal. It was meant to be the Wii's swansong, but ultimately turned out to be a mess.
>>
File: delicious 2k groose.png (2 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
delicious 2k groose.png
2 MB, 2560x1440
>>316827361
because it was made for the wii
>>
>People saying motion controls were fine.
Yeah, next time they'll make a Mario game in wich the jump button works 80% of the time. Because that's fun.
You fags will eat every mediocre game Nintendo shits out, like ALBW.
>>
SS has its flaws but at least it has moments of excitement, challenge and tension, unlike Twilight Princess which might be one of the most boring games I've ever played.
>>
One of the biggest problems for me personally is how the whole presentation felt like Mario. Link Between Worlds gave me that vibe as well. It's like Zelda doesn't have its own identity anymore.
>>
>>316846979
>ALBW's title was originally going to be New Legend of Zelda
>>
>>316846979
I totally get what you mean. I think it's due to the fact that Nintendo doesn't know how to develop large complex worlds. So they just rely on level select, and linear progression.
Thread replies: 166
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.