[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
JRPG General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 15
File: dragon_quest_vii_boxart.jpg (131 KB, 768x671) Image search: [Google]
dragon_quest_vii_boxart.jpg
131 KB, 768x671
What JRPGs are ypu playing or looking forward to /v/?

I'l playing DeSu2:BR and waiting for Stella Glow.

Hyped for Digimon, Bravely Second, Dragon Quest, Star Ocean, and more.

It's a good time to be a JRPG fan.
>>
I'm just grateful Dragon Quest is happening, I regret pirating the DS releases and will never pirate a localized DQ again. Praying we still get Joker 3 even if we don't get the monster remakes.
>>
Square Enix took too damn long to bring this over. Just for that, I'm pirating the hell out of it.
>>
>>316507838
>DQ8 came out literally a few months ago in Japan for 3DS
>Coming out next year for west
>t-thats too long

Nigger that is small time
>>
>>316507710
I'd really like the remakes myself but there's just too much DQ and too little time to spread it out.

Joker 3 seems feasible.

Hoping FF7:RE isn't awful, Square has been good recently
>>
>>316507838
Well fuck you, anon.

I might gift copies on /v/ just to help sales on release.

Only copies of 7 though, fuck the lazy port of 8 with censored magic bikini
>>
File: Eggman is Hatching.jpg (92 KB, 277x256) Image search: [Google]
Eggman is Hatching.jpg
92 KB, 277x256
>burned out on RPGs a few years ago
>Persona 5 hype started to creep all over everything
>decide to pick up P3 and P4 to see if it's any good
>fucking blaze through both of them
>suddenly find the drive to go back and finish all the RPGs I had burned out on like Bravely Default and Mario & Luigi
>go back and replay Star Ocean 2 after Star Ocean 5 actually looks fucking cool
>mfw the year of RPG revitalization ends with Dragon Quest being confirmed for Western Release

Bravely Second, Paper Jam, Persona 5, Star Ocean 5- 2016 is shaping up to be real good for this shit.
>>
File: 1443214238903.jpg (157 KB, 700x879) Image search: [Google]
1443214238903.jpg
157 KB, 700x879
>>316507340
Xeno X, #FE, P5, FE:F and a localized version of Tokyo Xanadu Steins;Gate Zero in non-rune when ?
>>
>>316509014
OP here, I don't buy censored games.

Half the games you listed are censored.

I'm bot buying DQ8 for the censorship too, only 7
>>
>>316508930
It's refreshing, the last gen was shit for JRPGs outside of the DS.
>>
File: 1436383787930.gif (1 MB, 444x250) Image search: [Google]
1436383787930.gif
1 MB, 444x250
>All these great JRPGs coming out
>All within close range of each other
Is this really happening? The second golden age?
>>
>>316507340
Handhelds are the way to go right now for any JRPG enthusiast. Thanks to the Vita I got into some new-type jrpgs like Dungeon Travlers and Oreshika.

Right now playing Final Fantasy I on Origins on normal mode since I never played the original game due to how slow it was. Pretty fun. Just beat Tiamat. Also playing Conception II on my 3ds and Tales of Hearts R on the Vita.

Hyped for 2016 in general. Really looking forward to FF Explorers, DQ VII and VIII, Zodiac, Stranger of Sword City, Nights of Azure(Yoru no nai Kuni), and hoping Ray Gigant gets a physical release over here at NA and not just EU.
>>
>>316507340

Pretty much everything in the OP except for DSBR.

Plus SMT+FE and P5.

>UK never got DQVII

Been waiting for this game for so fucking long. Didn't emulate it because I thought the DS would get it and after the 3DS version was announced I didn't emulate it in case it got localised.
>>
Just ordered the animal crossing HHD new 3ds bundle because I didnt want the xl

Got Xenoblade chronicles 3d and STEAM
will probably get Persona Q and triforce heroes next
anything I should check out or keep an eye on?
>>
For 2015 I'm playing the fuck out of Yokai Watch and waiting for Trials of Coldsteel.

2015 is hype for Persona 5, DQVIII and Bravely Second
>>
>>316509428

Wouldn't really call it a golden age.

There are very few JRPGs being made now compared to the PS2 or DS/PSP days that aren't microbudget.
>>
File: 1445894668217.jpg (40 KB, 521x547) Image search: [Google]
1445894668217.jpg
40 KB, 521x547
>>316509126
>Xeno X
Actually I don't give a fuck about potato bikini, she will be full armored like the real warrior she is. Anyway did you see the EU trailer yesterday, because they clearly showed her cleavage, so maybe the whole censor in EU was bullshit.
>FE:F
I won't buy the US memes version.
>#FE
It will probably not be censored because every costme showed was also featured in animated cutscenes, and I doubt they'll remake them.
And they easily age up Tsubasa by 1 year and make everything okay for you fucking christians and muslims
>P5
Superior subbed PS3 iso
>Tokyo Xanadu
Meh what could they censor

Oh and I'm not American.
>>
>>316509473
Console JRPGs are doing much better this gen too.

>Nier Automata
>FF7:RE
>FF15
>KH3
>Star Ocean 5
>Disgaea 5
>Digimon
>XBCX
>Dragon Quest 11

It's just a good time for JRPGs

I'm debating the special edition for explorers myself.
>>
>>316509759
I wish they didn't kill the puzzle dungeon at the start, I thought it was fun.
>>
>>316509815

Trails in the Sky ch.1 + 2 on steam if you haven't played them.

don't play Persona Q unless you've played P3 or 4 as there's a lot of stuff referiencing the games (you can choose which game's protag you play and that makes the game focus more on that game's cast so you don't really need to have played both).
>>
>>316510171
>Actually I don't give a fuck about potato bikini, she will be full armored like the real warrior she is. Anyway did you see the EU trailer yesterday, because they clearly showed her cleavage, so maybe the whole censor in EU was bullshit.
They removed the breast slider in the creator too.

You're forced to a C cup, no bigger.
>>
File: Birthday evolved.jpg (167 KB, 938x632) Image search: [Google]
Birthday evolved.jpg
167 KB, 938x632
Mofuckin Setsuna
GIMMIE SOME NEW INFO SQUARE

tfw square is straight fire right now and I have never in my life been more excited about so many games coming out next year
>>
>>316510286

Heard that the streamlining in the game is generally for the better.

Lots of filler was added to the original without the writer's knowledge I seem to remember reading.
>>
File: 1442613258452.png (329 KB, 702x438) Image search: [Google]
1442613258452.png
329 KB, 702x438
>>316510424
Well I bought Xenoblade, not a Senran so I'm okay.
>>
New Vita owner here
What are all the fun jrpgs/weeb games it has to offer in English? I mainly bought it for P4G, Vanillaware, Ys, and DJ Max.
>>
>>316510178
Consoles getting a slow burn, but it's not just jrpgs when it comes to this gen.
>>
Anyone else lost most their hype for Xeno X?

The whole 'Single player mmo' thing was a worry I had when it was unveiled and the Japanese impressions pretty much confirmed that it has the worst of both world with it.
>>
Playing Dungeon Traveler's 2 and Resonance of Fate. Excited for SMT IV Final, Persona 5, and DQ 7.
>>
>>316508930
Star Ocean 5 looks like shit though, the only reason to touch the series is that Tales seems to be on a huge decline with no signs of a recovery
>>
File: 2015-11-08-015033.jpg (129 KB, 960x544) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-08-015033.jpg
129 KB, 960x544
>>316510786
Ar Nosurge
>>
>>316509473
>Conception II
Why would you do that to yourself? It's awful. It's like P3/4 with more waifu crap and even shittier dungeon crawling.

Tales of Hearts R is nice but that fucking localization man, it hurts
>>
>>316510912
Im extremely hyped. Loved Xenoblade, big xeno fan in general. Was extremely pissed that they didn't release a small demo on the eshop just so people could see what the game is like yesterday. Games my #2 reason I have a wii u.
>>
>>316510178
Was thinking of grabbing the special edition but it seems to be exclusive to SE's stupid ass online store in EU and I'm not dropping 70 fucking euros on that shit. I have around 35 euros in gift cards on Amazon so I'd only be paying the price of a regular game.
>>
>>316510786

YMMV as some of them are an aquired taste.

Tales of Hearts R is the closest to a full console RPG and it's mostly decent (not one of the best Tales but not one of the worst).

I love the Atelier series (start with Atelier Rorona+ ) but it is a series that focuses heavily on crafting and character interactions more than the RPG elements.

Nep Nep is fun but micro budget.

I've not really been able to get on with Dungeon Crawlers on the Vita but DT2 is the only one I've played through without getting bored (be warned, the dungeon designs troll you to an extreme).

Trails in the Sky ch.1&2 are PSP but they're very good RPGs that are a must.
>>
>>316507340
Mario & Luigi Paper Jam looks like it'll be fun, and is just weeks away.
But I'll be asking for it for Christmas instead.

Otherwise really fucking looking forward to DQ7 and 8, I've been wanting these for ages.
>>
>>316510674
shut up retard
>>
>>316510786
Tales of Hearts R is really good if you can excuse the absolutely bottom of the barrel tier localization.

>>316510912
>worst of both worlds
I haven't played the game so I don't actually know but it really doesn't look like the worst of both worlds. Combat looks like a definite step up from Xenoblade so that's already steering clear of the worst of MMOs and I'm really not sure what you're referring to with worst of the singleplayer "world"
>>
>>316511568
Man seriously, are you this butthurt about your boob slider and being an amerikek ?
>>
>>316507838
If too many people do this we can be sure we won't see any more DQs coming to the west.
>>
>>316510912
I've maintained my hype for XCX. I've done my research and I'm still getting it eventually despite the recent events.
>>
File: 2015-09-07-204108.jpg (114 KB, 960x544) Image search: [Google]
2015-09-07-204108.jpg
114 KB, 960x544
>>316511198
I'm the rare breed that plays jrpgs for their gameplay, length, and music and could give 2 shits about characters and story. Honestly, C2 isn't really bugging me since I just skip needless dialogue. Been doing that for Dungeon Travlers 2 once pic-related popped up.
>>
File: 07.jpg (92 KB, 367x365) Image search: [Google]
07.jpg
92 KB, 367x365
>Persona 5
>SMT IV Final
>FF7 remake
>DQ7
>DQ8
>Nier: Automata
>Digimon Cyber Sleuth
>>
>>316510424
If your issue is with the actual content that's being removed there's no point arguing because it's a completely trivial thing

If your issue is the principal of the matter and you're not buying the game because you're "fighting for free speech" you're a fucking retard because no company is going to look at low sales and say "hmm, maybe the localization is at fault here", they'll just assume there's no interest in the series in the west
If you actually have an issue with censorship start a fucking petition or send some emails to bring your opinion to Nintendo's attention

>>316512087
>gameplay, music
Then why the fuck are you playing Conception II
The writing really isn't the only issue with the game and I'm sure you know this
Dungeon Travelers 2 isn't a stellar title either but it's definitely not "how did this even get released" tier like C2

also if you mean you don't care about characters and story the expression is "couldn't care less", not fucking "could care less"
>>
>>316511693

You lose the story elements that come with having a blank slate MC of indeterminate sex and less interesting, MMO style questing.

But you don't get the hustle and bustle of hundreds of other players making up for it like you do with MMOs
>>
File: 1446237671219.jpg (266 KB, 1200x1222) Image search: [Google]
1446237671219.jpg
266 KB, 1200x1222
>playing
Nothing right now, but I'll probably pick one up later today/tomorrow. Any recs for SNES/GB/GBA?
>looking forward to
FE:Fates, Bravely Second, FF: Explorers

How is Xenoblade on 3DS? I was thinking of picking it up after I upgrade to a New.
>>
always wondered why people still cared about DQ? Just like FF it died a long time ago to me.

Anyways I'm playing Totori as my first atelier game.
>>
Haven't even opened my copy of Legend of legacy yet...

Getting Stella next week

Super pumped about Xenoblade X

Wish the Nintendo Direct gave us a date for SMT x FE or SMT 4 Final

Really happy they are FINALLY bringing over DQ 7&8

Already pre ordered Trails of Cold Steel

OP please don't call them JRPGs, you just sound ignorant.
>>
Someone recommend me something similar to Vagrant Story, gameplay-wise
>>
>>316512450
Nothing else for me to play on my 3DS that isn't mini-games by nintendo. What else am I suppose to play? I had to force myself to finish Awakening. Dropped Etrian and Unchained Blades after 14 hours, and I already finished SMT IV and Bravely Default and LBX. I got nothing else left to play on my 3DS at this point. I'd play that Kingdom Hearts game, but it's already getting a PS4 release. Not to mention I still haven't played past chain of memorie. don't even bother mentioning yokai, monhun, or pokemon.
>>
>>316513060
Parasite Eve 1
>>
>>316512960
>OP please don't call them JRPGs, you just sound ignorant.
What is this dumb shit?

Don't call JRPGs, JRPGs?
>>
>always play halfway through the game, stop playing it for a while and then forget about it
It's like I can only play games that give instant gratification now or some shit. What's worse is that I don't even start them now since I know I'll end up dropping them.
>>
>>316513408
Listen here you underage faggot.

The term JRPG does nothing to describe the genre, it only describes where the game was from.

There are many different types of RPGs that come out of Japan, turn based, strategy/tactics, action etc...

Are you under age children really this retarded?
>>
>>316507340
Not playing any right now but I am considering Yokai Watch. I preordered Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon too.

And of course, looking forward to the Dragon Quest games. Stella Glow didn't grab me at all, but I wanted to like it.
>>
File: 1447122866406.jpg (84 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
1447122866406.jpg
84 KB, 512x512
>>316514090
tl;dr: muh autism
>>
>>316514090
We're here to discuss rpgs out of Japan specifically so we'll call them what they are, jrpgs.
>>
>>316514090
>someone disagrees with you
>call them an underage faggot
yep, this is /v/
>>
>>316509014
how long would did it take JAST to localize S;G
>>
>>316513181
>DeSu 1+2
>Tales of the Abyss (if you haven't played the PS2 version)
>Persona Q (though I guess if you didn't like Etrian you won't like it)
>Soul Hackers
>Project X Zone
All better than Conception 2 and aren't MonHun, Pokemon or Yokai, none of which I'd recommend to someone looking for a JRPG anyway. Bravely Default 2 coming soon, Final Fantasy Explorers, DQ 7 and 8 in a while, SMT IV Final, Project X Zone 2, and Super Mystery Dungeon (yeah yeah it's Pokemon but it's not fucking mainline and it's a good fucking game) as well. And that's not mentioning the fucking dozens of great DS RPGs you probably haven't played like Radiant Historia, DQ remakes/Joker, FE12, Rune Factory, and the list fucking goes on. If you have a DS you can be sure there is some JRPG out there that's worth playing that you haven't touched yet.

>>316514090
Can we have one thread without this vapid argument about semantics?
>>
>>316514090
So basically, don't describe a game by a term that describes it perfectly?

This is autism if I ever saw one
>>
>>316514795
I think it's copypasta
>>
>>316507340
I have been playing through Final Fantasy Tactics on my phone. Just got to Chapter 4. Can't wait to finish it and move on to FFTA

Also I think Ramza is the best Final Fantasy protagonist.
>>
>>316514794
I couldn't finish Abyss on PS2. It just felt tedious. I always preferred the 2D tales games anyways. Recently got into 3D tales from Graces F and now Hearts R. I'll probably hit Xillia later, tales out at the moment. Similar story to PxZ since I played NxC and SRT:Taisen. Just got tedious at one point. I might grab PxZ2 later though. I haven't played the juggle fest in a while. Only megaten game left for me to play is Soulhackers. I emulated the saturn version at one point, so yeah, I'll get to it once I finish or drop C2. I can't into DeSu unless somehow the 3DS is better than its DS version.
I don't know anyone who hasn't played Radiant Historia let alone anyone who hasn't heard of it. I remember playing that right after I finished Sands of Destruction. I'm glad I did else I would've just given up on that game.
I'm looking forward to most of those games you listed that are coming up except Mystery Dungeon (i mean if you find it fun, sure). I actually haven't played any DQ games other than 1 this summer. Gonna work on DQ 2-4 this fall and winter once I finish FF1-3. I've played most DS rpgs already like Strange Journey and Romancing Saga 3 DS, but I'm open for other games if I've missed any. I just need more time. I still need to hit some PS3 games like Folklore and Resonance of Fate.
>>
>>316509014
This cosplayer's tuturu must be something else
>>
File: white_knight_chron_ie_esrb.jpg (73 KB, 450x518) Image search: [Google]
white_knight_chron_ie_esrb.jpg
73 KB, 450x518
I'm not the biggest fan of traditional JRPGs. White Knight Chronicles seems a bit different. Thoughts?
>>
File: laughing eds.png (597 KB, 938x634) Image search: [Google]
laughing eds.png
597 KB, 938x634
>>316507340
I was playing Xenoblade Chronicles 3D, but I'm currently stuck at the part where You fight Mechon Fiora in Galahad Fortress along with the 3-4 other Mechon.

Since Dragon Quest VII+VIII were confirmed yesterday, I've been motivated to get back to Dragon Quest IX, which I just started another playthrough of after all these years.
>>
>>316517329
It's like a musou game except less shitty, but it's also reliant on online IIRC which is probably dead by now.
>>
>>316514795
>perfect describes it
Fucking how?
Please tell me.

If some underage millennial uses the term JRPG how does that describe the genre?
Fucking How?
>>
>>316517449
You can't kill those 3 mechon? iirc, you don't fight Fiora.
>>
>>316517742
An RPG

Made in Japan

Is what

the thread

is for

discussing nigger
>>
>>316517742
It describes the game you faggot, not the genre.

>games in the OP
>DeSu2:BR
> Stella Glow
>Digimon, Bravely Second, Dragon Quest, Star Ocean
Made in Japan, no? Also a RPG? JRPG describes them fine.
>>
>>316518181
I know that I'm not supposed to kill Fiora, it's just that I get wrecked anyways. I've been grinding with the Mechon in front of the elevator entrance.
>>
File: 1370029627999.gif (285 KB, 424x240) Image search: [Google]
1370029627999.gif
285 KB, 424x240
>>316507340

Heard many /v/irgins praising stella glow so I'm getting it day one
>>
>>316507340
Everything, including #FE, FE:Fates, Persona 5, Digimon, Bravely Second, Dragon Quest, Star Ocean (despite not playing one a long time), and Xenoblade.

Hope we get more news on SMTIV Final and EOV sometime soon as well. FF Explorers looks fun too.
>>
>>316517329
>>316517742
Get the second one. It even includes the first game updated based on feedback with improved graphics too.I enjoyed the gameplay and especially the online segment which is kill now.Story is barebones and so is the character developement.
If you can find it extremely cheap then get it it has its comfy moments but nothing to really hook you and its most interesting part of it which was the online hunts are ded after they closed the servers.
>>
>>316518304
>location = genre

/v/ really is for idiots
>>
>>316518617
I never said that. Why are you bringing genre to this discussion? We are talking about JRPGs. Literally RPGs made in Japan and every single game in this thread fits that DESCRIPTION.
>>
>>316518617
JRPG is a stupid genre label to begin with but we can't drop it now. There's been so much variance within JRPGs for years now that it's hard to justify categorizing it under the label for anything other than the country of origin. Closest thing to it is aesthetics I guess but even that's not without a lot of exceptions.
>>
>>316518752
You and 90% of the childern on/v/ believe that jrpg is a genre
>>
>>316519023
>projecting
>>
>>316519701
>dodging
>>
>>316507340
>>>/vg/
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.