[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Be honest with me /v/. When you first played FF7, did you enjoy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37
File: image.jpg (100 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
100 KB, 800x600
Be honest with me /v/.
When you first played FF7, did you enjoy it? Or did you legitimately hate it. Did you start hating it after people started liking it like you always do?
>>
I liked it and I still do I'm not a hipster ;)
>>
>>316490740
yeah, I enjoyed it.
I never have hated it. I've never met more than couple persons IRL that would exactly love it.
>>
I loved it then and I love it now. I legitimately feel like a vast amount of criticism comes from people who are bandwagonning to try to be special snowflakes. This is likely due to how many people spout the Cloud is emo nonsense. This is not to say that some criticism isn't warranted but many people use that as their go to criticism and it's not even true for FFVII.
>>
I played the shit out of it. I played it the whole summer every day.
>>
File: 1360344125403.jpg (411 KB, 820x620) Image search: [Google]
1360344125403.jpg
411 KB, 820x620
I saw FF7 at friend's house and simply laughed at it because I found music and graphics to be surprisingly shitty. Then I started coming to my friend's house more frequently and asked to show me more of FF7, then I bought PlayStation and FF7 myself and played it like 30 times in a row. It is still up to this time one of two my favourite games ever.
>>
>>316490740

You're extremely out of touch. No one used to love FF7 and then started hating it. FF7 haters are mostly people who never even played it, usually Nintendo fans who were kids/teenagers when it came out and saw it as the great enemy.
>>
>>316490740
I got it for my birthday when it first game out. Played the shit out of it. Had to leave it on for 2 days since I didn't get a memory card til the weekend. I thought saving worked like nintendo. It was my first playstation game. Loved it then and now.
>>
Played it recently. Shit story, shit models, above average backgrounds, good music, lackluster gameplay
>>
>>316491509
>Yuffie is not only best girl but also the strongest girl gameplay-wise, the second strongest character in the game, and by far the best solo and/or low-level playthrough character

Simply the best
>>
I enjoy the lore and stories that surround FF7 but i never played FF7, so i dont know what to feel.

I wasn't really into rpgs as a kid, so the very first FF7 related game i played was Dirge of Cerebus.
>>
Played it for the first time in 2012 when i was 19. I thought it was fine, but i didn't like it enough to finish it.

I can see why it was a big deal when it came out.
>>
How could you not enjoy it?

did you get stuck on demon wall or some shit and ragequit?
>>
File: 1391923447706.jpg (54 KB, 800x1104) Image search: [Google]
1391923447706.jpg
54 KB, 800x1104
>>316491509
it was 1998 btw
>>
>>316490740
I grew up playing final fantasy but VII made me give up the series because how terrible it looked. My eyes just can't handle low poly 3D. Maybe I'll finally play it for more than 20 minutes when the remake comes out.
>>
>>316490740
An alright game that gets hyped mostly because of nostalgia (70%). The fanbase for it is cancerous.

The Final Fantasy fanbase in general is pretty cancerous, but FF7's fanbase in particular is the most cancerous of the bunch.
>>
>>316491629
Played it recently. Great story, great models, below average backgrounds, bad music, wonderful gameplay.
>>
>>316491581
Did that work? I thought you had to start games with a memory card in for it to recognize them.
>>
File: 1423800542621.gif (1 MB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1423800542621.gif
1 MB, 400x400
It was great when it came out. I still play it once every few years. VIII is my favorite, but I also like IX just fine.
>>
>>316492161
What a stupid worthless opinion
>>
Played it for the first time around 2009 and thought it was alright. I did play 8 and 9 back in the day though and loved them (not so much nowadays) so I probably would have loved 7 then too
>>
>>316492364
What? No dude, you can play games without the memory card.
>>
File: 1209925801964.png (9 KB, 381x337) Image search: [Google]
1209925801964.png
9 KB, 381x337
>>316490740
legitimately enjoyed it first time.

People who didn't enjoy it tend to have reasonable explanations like " didn't enjoy art-style, music ". You can tell the /v/idiot shitdrones because they don't explain why it " sucks ", just that it " a shit ".
>>
>>316490740
loved it then, still do
>>
>>316492497
Yes, I get that I mean I don't think you can plug a memory card midplay and create a save file. I only say that because you assume you would be able to, but I had the same problem happen to me in the past.
>>
>>316492161
People who love the game legitimately are way less cancerous than the faggots who hate things just because they are popular.

Also if you were over the age of 12 in 1997, you'd realize that it wasn't overrated hype, it was a great game and a huge change from what people knew as nes/snes FF games, new platform, fresh story ( for RPGs at the time ), new graphics.

It was great back then, it just kept getting more attention. Calling it overhyped would imply it was a commercial flop that was built up anyways.
>>
>>316490740
I enjoyed it back in the 90s.

I re-bought it when it came out on Steam.

I'm too spoiled by modern game refinements, the battles are too slow and it's a pain in the ass to navigate through the maps(which why they introduced those context-sensitive action icons in the later PS1 Final Fantasies). I'll just leave it alone, content with my memories and some mild interest in the remake.
>>
>>316492754
Ah I gotcha, never tried that.
>>
>>316490740
Disliked it, but i think FF as a series in general is pretty bad. I liked IV, XI, XII and XIV and that's about it.
>>
>>316490740
Nah, I never enjoyed it. I gave it a fair shake, though, what with making it just past the Golden Saucer before giving up on it. I don't hate the game but I just never found it to be that fun.
>>
When I played FF7 it was the PC version. It was like 5th PC game I bought.

Very cool game, thought so at the time and a couple years back replaying it on my Vita.
>>
>>316490740
i still love it.
>>
>>316491990
>stuck on demon wall or some shit

so I wasn't the only one
also, materia keeper and carry arm

loved the game tho
>>
>>316490740
I played it in a local supermarket, and that made me buy a PS1, so yes, I loved the fuck out of it.
>>
>>316490740
loved it. I play it every other year or so. one thing I hated about it is near the end there are parts where you're not quite sure where to go ...one is underwater to find some essential item. not a perfect game but one of th ebest.
>>
>>316492837
The FFVII fanbase has been shat so much through the years via Dirge of Cerberus, Advent Children, and so on that I find them much more laid-back and relaxed here than the FFVI fans. It's crazy how times have changed.
>>
>>316490740
I enjoyed it, but still liked 6 more.
>>
>>316492993
fucking carry robot.
>round 1 picks up tifa
>round 2 picks up cloud
>round 3-4 spams some laser shit
>GAME OVER
>>
I was in fourth grade, loved that shit. The slums music make as me feel so comfy.
>>
>>316490740
I got it on steam a year or two ago and played it for like 2 hours and thought it was alright. I guess I have to go back and finish it now that Cloud's in Smash.
>>
I first played FF7 in the mid-2000s(I was a year old in 1997). FF7 was still a lot of fun, even if I did play it during a time when it was considered dated.
>>
>>316493186
He's even more retarded when you do a solo character low level no materia challenge. Same with Materia Keeper and Demon Wall.
>>
>>316492408
Don't get so mad over it, then.

>>316492837
>People who love the game legitimately are way less cancerous than
Well, yeah.

>you'd realize that it wasn't overrated hype
Even if that's true, it's overrated hype now.

>It was great back then
>back then
Yeah.
>>
File: 274328765432.jpg (16 KB, 393x315) Image search: [Google]
274328765432.jpg
16 KB, 393x315
>>316490740
loved it and was raving about how it was the best video game ever until the mid 2000s probably

general consensus was to look down on anyone who disagreed as complete casuals, because they would complain about things like the random encounters (which only a fucking pleb and neo-/v/ has an issue with)
>>
>>316490740
The first time I played it, or rather the first 3 times I played it, I only got up to the part where you leave midgar. The open world was too scary for me so I stopped there. Screw open world maps.
>>
>>316493186
this, now I remember that two headed dragon in the northern caverns giving me trouble, and lost number

man I sucked at this game
>>
File: 36356357357211.jpg (21 KB, 534x516) Image search: [Google]
36356357357211.jpg
21 KB, 534x516
>>316492004
>pretending that it looked shitty in 1998

you're probably just around 18 now, you can still smell the babby powder on you from here
>>
>>316492837
>Also if you were over the age of 12 in 1997, you'd realize that it wasn't overrated hype, it was a great game and a huge change from what people knew as nes/snes FF games, new platform, fresh story ( for RPGs at the time ), new graphics.
why 12? I was 10 and was born before the first final fantasy. I was lucky enough to have older brothers who had the 3 mainline games before it, so I got to grow up playing them. The new graphics is what killed the franchise for me just because how terrible they looked in 1997 let alone by today's standards. Having a twink protagonist carrying a 200 lb sword didn't help matters either.
>>
Not the best JRPG, not even the best FF, but I can understand all the love for the game and I enjoyed it enough that I've replayed it a couple of times, as well as on PC. I'm looking forward to the remake, regardless of which platforms it lands on.
>>
I had a N64 as a kid, so I didn't play it back then. The first time I played it was in 2008. I was kind of aware of the hype, but wasn't involved in online game discussion so I didn't know how autistic the fanbase was.

That being said, going in after it had been released for a decade and without any knowledge of the plot, characters, or fanbase, I really enjoyed it. It was an easy 9/10 for me.

Then I learned about the fanbase. I still like it, but understand why it gets hated on.
>>
I started playing it this year on my PSP and I'd say it's on the same boat as Deus Ex. Gameplay aged like fine wine while the graphics aged like milk.
>>
>>316490740

I was like 10 when I first tried it. It wasn't bad but I didn't understand RPGs. I then went and got started on RPGs with Paper Mario and Mario RPG then eventually rented Final Fantasy V on PS1 when they started porting them all to PS1, I got through most of that and then beat it.

It's a golden oldie that grew on me.
>>
>>316490740
it wa my game of all time until i replayed it a year ago.
I would still put it in my top 30 tho, they just dont make jrpg like this anymore
>>
>>316493858

Were you old enough to play FF7 when it first came out?
>>
>>316490740
I played it for the first time in 2011 and I thought it still stood up to this day, compared to other modern games, and it's in my top 30 games of all time now. Everybody says people just like it for "nostalgia" and shit yet people like me are playing it for the first time and enjoying it.

I don't care to comment on the hipster bullshit because I don't have anything to add or disagree with, but I do want to talk about the OoT vs. FF7 rivalry. I was born in 1991 and when OoT and FF7 came out I remember all the people bitching over which one was better. I never even played FF7 at that point but I went around saying OoT was better. I just want everyone to know that that's what people who think OoT is better did / do.

OoT is a piece of shit game where the combat is as simple, easy, and boring as spamming your spin attack, and the "puzzles" are just shit like pushing blocks into holes. FF7 still stands up to this day. FF7 is objectively the better game and anyone saying otherwise is a Nintendrone who hasn't actually played the game.
>>
Played it on release when I was 12.
Never beat the fucking scorpion battle and made me hate JRPGs.
>>
>>316493951
Yeah. But I wasn't that much into RPGs back then. I didn't really get into them (barring Pokemon) until late 2000s.
>>
>>316490740
>Be a kid with only a gameboy
>Go to supermarket to play demos at the vidya aisle
>One day it's Final Fucking Fantasy 7
>Blows my mind
>Be the cool guy of the supermarket because I can get to the first boss
>A year later see FF7 on PC
>Buy it
>Don't even own a PC
>Look at the CDs and the manual all day
>One day finally get a PC
>Play FF7
>It's the best game ever made
>>
File: o.gif (1 MB, 386x286) Image search: [Google]
o.gif
1 MB, 386x286
>>316490740
It's still my favourite game.
>>
I had a ps1 growing up but never played it. Is it worth trying?
>>
Yuffie gave me a midriff and navel fetish.

Pretty much all of my partialisms come from her actually. Tomboy, short hair, etc. But especially midriff.
>>
I loved it when I first played it in 97.

I replayed it last year or so and it hasn't aged well. It's okay, but I don't see why people still hold it in such high regard outside of nostalgia.

FF6 was always better in my mind, though.
>>
I played the PC version years after playing VIII and IX. I though it was OK. I did not enjoy it all that much.
>>
>>316494297
Great taste, mate. Best girl in the series next to Faris.
>>
>>316493675
The models? You bet they did, compared to the likes of Half-Life. backgrounds were really nice though.
>>
Bought a copy years ago off of eBay to see what the fuss was about. Despite the outdated graphics, I couldn't put it down.
>>
>>316493675

The graphics overall looked good to great for their time.

The in game models, not including the cinematics and battle scenes, however, always looked really goofy. Even at release. Yes, I'm old enough to have played it at release. I thought it then. They look deformed. I have no idea if it was on purpose or not, but they do and always did.
>>
>>316490740
I've never played it. Didn't own a PS1 back in the day, and wasn't into JRPGs. Now I sort of enjoy them, and I've had multiple opportunities to play it, but I feel like there's just no way it can live up to the stupid amounts of hype, so I keep passing it up.

Had a bunch of friends who played it and thought it was the greatest shit ever. Watched it a lot. Liked the music. They kept saying the graphics were awesome, but even back then I knew it was pretty crappy, even for pre-rendered stuff.

I occasionally shit on it for being the JRPG that was so successful that millions of wannabes copied its formula for years to come.
>conflicted, angsty protagonist
>edgy, Mary-Sue villain
>abstract, other-worldly doomsday threat
>vague ending with implied depth where there is actually none
It's also basically what most anime became in the wake of Evangelion.
>>
i liked it , i hated the first part of the game because it was a huge city you can't explore
i liked the zones/artstyle/ but i hated being unable to explore it , no mention of gameplay because when i played VII i didn't remembered if i played whatever of mana on snes or any other jrpg . good memory
>>
>>316491657
You retarded? Yuffie isn't anywhere close to the second strongest character. She can't hold a candle to Cloud/Barret/Cid.
>>
The first time I saw FF7 it was me and my friend watching his older brother play it and we just couldn't stop watching. Always loved it but for today's standards it doesn't really hold up.
>>
>>316495293
She has a multihit limit break that's easily accessible and does massive damage with it and her ultimate weapon at a much lower level. But yes, you're right, Cid and Barret end up being stronger if you get them to a very high level and have their level 4 limits.
>>
File: 1442663278703.png (561 KB, 500x738) Image search: [Google]
1442663278703.png
561 KB, 500x738
>>316490740
Played it for the first time in 2011.

Fucking loved it, fantastic game even today, can totally see why it was revolutionary in 1997.

Then I played FF9 later that year on /v/'s recommendation and while it had some good stuff going for it it was overall mediocre.

I also really like FF6 but I gotta admit the FF6/9babby tears are delicious over Cloud getting into Smash, personally I'm happy as fuck.
>>
>>316490740
I didn't at first. It was the first time I played a JRPG and I fucking hated the turn-based combat and random encounters.

I thought the music was amazing though so I kept playing to hear more of it, which ended up making me get more used to the gameplay.

I still dislike that type of gameplay to this day but I would consider FF7 to be one of my favorite games.
>>
File: FFVII_enjoyment.jpg (143 KB, 930x568) Image search: [Google]
FFVII_enjoyment.jpg
143 KB, 930x568
>>316490740

>When you first played FF7, did you enjoy it?
>>
>>316495819

I can't but be curious as to why your enjoyment was like that? I don't recall the quality really dropping. Or maybe it was just more of the same and you started getting sick of it?
>>
>>316495819
If you didn't like it why the fuck did you spend so much time on Disk 2 you fucking autist
>>
Love it but i hate the fans
>>
>>316495819
>look at me i hate video games am i cool yet /v/?
why
>>
>>316495954

After Aeris' death, a lot of the games content just felt like filler. Jenova attacks you half a dozen times, the Turks keep appearing but do nothing, Cait Sith 'saves' you from the Temple...which ultimately does nothing except get you a big materia and cait sith doesn't really die. etc.

Then all of Disk 2 is just a huge collection of fetch quest and Tifa obsessing over a brain dead Cloud.

Basically, the game just felt like it had 1 disk worth of content. But they stretched it out to 2 and a half disks.
>>
>>316495293
Say that to her face, not online, see what happens
>>
File: wonka.jpg (25 KB, 299x400) Image search: [Google]
wonka.jpg
25 KB, 299x400
>>316495954
>>316496018
>>316496176

>all these angry FFVII defenders jumping on one guy who giving an opinion
>in a thread where OP is asking for an honest opinion

And people claim the FFVI fans are the problem.
>>
>80 posts in
>"you just didn't play the game!" card hasn't been played yet

Wow, I'm proud /v/.
>>
>>316496487
Well, >>316495954 doesn't seem very angry to me mate. Are you sure it's not just you being overly sensitive? Perhaps you'd like to try visiting a safer place.
>>
>>316496621

>>316495819 also wasn't being angry. But people are accusing him of hating the game and being a troll.
>>
>>316492161
>The Final Fantasy fanbase in general is pretty cancerous, but FF7's fanbase in particular is the most cancerous of the bunch.

>not VIfags
>not IXfags
>not Lightningfags
>>
So, who's worse? FFVII fans or XIV fans?
>>
>>316496731
Two people, man. I think you're getting a little overeager here. Shit, I've gotten more reactions than that just by saying that I thought FFII had some really great ideas and was surprisingly fun to play through.
>>
>>316496861
Stop replying to the stale bait.
>>
>>316492254
>bad music
U wot?

My only real problem with the game is that it's too easy. I kinda wish there was some level of difference between the way characters played too, aside from limit breaks.
>>
>>316496857
wait, aren't XI and XIV mmos? Those have fans
>>
File: 1403390107200.jpg (245 KB, 600x1128) Image search: [Google]
1403390107200.jpg
245 KB, 600x1128
>>316496857
>>316496838

1. IX fans (my game is best because its less popular and more like classic Final Fantasy, while also being the most unique and original FF game ever)
2. VII Fans (my game is the best because its the most popular and cyberpunk)
3. Tactics fans (best story ever written in any medium, so deep)
4. FFXII fans (my game is the best because its the most different and also unpopular)
5. FFXV fans (my game is the best without it even being released!)

FFVI doesn't even place because its fanbase is a fraction of the above fans. FFXIV fans, while being cat/lalafell obsessed, genuinely stay in their own threads and don't try and push their game as the end all FF in the series.
>>
>>316496235
Cait Sith dies before Aeris though. I think it tries to be bait and switch, tell you that important characters are totes immortal
And then death

And well, first playing Final Fantasy 7... was one of my favorite games. I was like, ten or so at the time. And it was around when it came out. Within a couple years, at least.
Replayed it several times over the years... (actually still have a run in progress where I'm grinding out limit breaks near the start of Disc 1... haven't touched it in awhile) and I still like it. I can admit the story has problems. But generally I dig it. Characters are fun. I like the materia system. I've played other games in the series. 6 is still on my list.
>>
>>316497204
missing question mark at the end there
>>
Loved it then and I love it now
>>
>>316490740
Considering I was about 9 years old at the time, I thought the game was just odd. Never played JRPGs at that point. My friend was enamored with it.

Several years later I'm over at a friend's house and he gets a demo disk (if you still remember those) in the mail with his magazine subscription. Either Next Gen mag or official Playstation mag. I can't remember.

More importantly, this demo disk had the FF8 demo on it. The one where you fight Biggs and Wedge, and then you run from the spider tank.

The CGI action sequence. The awesome fight music. The updated graphics. I was hooked on the soundtrack as well. Up until this point in my life I hadn't really experienced playing a game with such a sweeping OST.

In hindsight FF7 was a better game, but at the time I had no idea what to expect from a genre I had no experience with, and at such a young age, couldn't comprehend.
>>
>>316490740
It is probably the game that, more than anything, got me into videogames as a major hobby. Until then I only played them with friends. So yeah, I enjoyed it immensely.
>>
>>316496838
Yes, not any of those.
FF7fags are the most cancerous.

I guess you could make a case for VIfags being the second worst or tied, but I can't really say much about IXfags since I've barely seen people talk about the game.

And I see more cancer from anti-Lightningfags than Lightningfags themselves. What cancer I have seen from Lightningfags doesn't put them above VIIfags.
>>
>>316497381
XIV is full of catgirl-loving homosexual gay ERP faggots. Don't know about XI but I've heard it wasn't as bad
>>
File: 1439920588894.jpg (480 KB, 1446x2046) Image search: [Google]
1439920588894.jpg
480 KB, 1446x2046
>>316497379

I'm the original poster of that image. And despite people claiming I absolutely hate the game, I genuinely liked disk 1. It just fell apart after that. Which is hardly a unique view. Manyt people have said it falls apart after Disk 1 (or even after they live Midgar).

I actually think the game could be really improved with a remake. The problem is, if we look at all past Final Fantasy remakes, they don't change the story or flow of the games. Usually, they just put it into a better looking engine, but keep all the same gameplay and story flaws. In the case of FFIII and IV on DS, they even managed to break the gameplay even more. With higher EXP rates and broken monster HP/Damage.

So really. I want to hope that the remake of FFVII will improve the game. But I just don't have much hope from everything Nomura has said so far and the past history of how FF remakes are handled. But with Dragon Quest VII finally coming to the west, I'll just treat that as what FFVII should have been.
>>
>>316497934
The dragon train didn't catch on? Thats too bad.

Though my only character was a brown human chick. She was the best.
>>
I enjoyed it.
>>
>>316490740

I played it a few months after it came out, friend lent me his game and massive strategy guide. My mind was completely blown, I had never experienced anything like it.

I don't think it's the best JRPG ever made but it's easily in the top 5 most impactful games of all time list.
>>
>>316490740
FF7 is a retarded non-game with a dumb as fuck plot, but back when I first played it I was 11, so I legitimately loved it.

In fact, I was the biggest fan. At one time I woved to never play another game again, and prided myself on not ahving played anything else for 8 months straight. Then I switched to Parasite Eve, then Xenogears, both rivals to FF7 in my eyes.

Does that change anything? Now that I am an adult with so much more experience in video games, I can tell what's what, and I don't let nostalgia (and I'm very nostalgic for FF7) cloud my understanding.
>>
The OFFICIAL /v/ Final Fantasy Fanbase tier list:

>GOD TIER
V
IV

>GREAT TIER
VIII
XI

>GOOD TIER
X
XII
Tactics

>NON EXISTENT TIER
I
II
III

>SHIT TIER
VI
VII
IX
XIII
XIV
>>
>>316490740
Haven't played it, should I? Is it worth it at this point or should I just wait for remake?
>>
I always liked the game since its release.
Cloud, Red XIII, Yuffie best team.
>>
>>316498197
I wholehartedly agree, my fellow gentleman.
*takes a sip of Starbucks coffee*
>>
>>316498294

If you like story driven RPGs, then FFVII will be great for you. If you like anything else, it'll be a painful experience.
>>
File: maxresdefault4.jpg (31 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault4.jpg
31 KB, 1280x720
i loved FF7 the first time i played it, i love it today and i will always love that shitty game
>>
>>316498156
>Parasite Eve
great tast..
>Xenogears
nevermind
>>
>>316498464
> i will always love that shitty game
I wouldn't be so sure. God only knows what horrible things SE will do to the remake.
>>
>>316490740
Loved it. Played it when i t came out, way before I had the internet(I think i was 13) or even a computer.
>>
>>316490740

FF7 was my first final fantasy game (played in 2012)
I liked it despite the aged graphics and knowing Aeris would die.
>>
File: final fans.jpg (645 KB, 2637x1810) Image search: [Google]
final fans.jpg
645 KB, 2637x1810
I remember playing mario rpg, then ffiv, then CT, right before ff7 came out. I honestly hated FF7 the most out of all of them because I felt like they homogenized every character with the materia system. Stats and limit breaks were different but it just wasn't as special as the unique moves you got on each person from the previous games. I also dislike science fantasy type settings so the plot did nothing for me. In the end I don't think it was the worst game ever but I do think it marked a turning point in Square's design philosophy that enforced this idea of their games needing to have more "mature" plots. I'm not saying that's inherently bad or anything and there were definitely mature moments in their previous games but when I play a final fantasy game I always like simplicity involving heroes fighting evil.
>>
>>316496617
It's just really easy to spot the people who haven't played VII because they spout the generic "Cloud is an emo brooding faggot" meme thrown everywhere because of his appearance in Kingdom Hearts.
>>
>>316490740
my favorite game ever to this day
>>
is there anything you'd like to see changed in the remake /v/?
I'd probably change the limit break system so it doesn't automatically override your Fight command
also, I wouldn't mind letting the MP system go in favour of the AP system from FF 4 Warriors of Light
>>
>>316497204

FFXI is a proper merger between MMO and JRPG. It has an amazing fanbase because the game itself was such an incredible journey filled with great friends and storylines as good as any single player FF game.
>>
>>316491003
but you're still a faggot
>>
File: Final-Fantasy-7-PC-12[1].jpg (228 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Final-Fantasy-7-PC-12[1].jpg
228 KB, 1920x1080
>>316494758
>>316494457

you guys are both right, the polygons looked like shit. I still really love this game, and have grown really sensitive to people bashing it for having aged poorly. Anytime people I know tried it for the first time years later, they didn't understand the appeal and I got buttblasted
>>
>>316499002
The Limit Break would be neat, yeah. And maybe having access to all of them, not just the ones from X level. Besides that, not really. I'd like if they kept it turn-based but I know it's not happening.
>>
>>316498549
doesnt change the fact the original FF7 still exists, and even if the Remake doesnt live up to the hype, i'll still buy it day 0, and probably double dip when it comes out on other platforms after ps4
>>
File: Untitled.png (17 KB, 1152x648) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
17 KB, 1152x648
>>316495819

I think you meant something like this, surely you couldn't have thought most of the game was shit?

My chart's how I feel about all the PS1 FFs.
>>
>>316499127
>but I know it's not happening.

it's confirmed it won't be TB?
Aw shit
>>
>>316499082

>Those popeye arms

To this day, I have no idea what they were thinking. It's not so much a graphic problem as an artistic design choice, I think. It looks silly today, it looked silly then. I liked the game and thought the backgrounds, cut scenes and combat models all looked great for their time, but yes, even then, I couldn't help but laugh at how ridiculous they looked.

At least it's funny, though. Maybe that is what they were going for.
>>
>>316499002

All I really hope is that they don't fuck up the music, it's the heart and soul of a JRPG and the music in FF7 is iconic as it gets.

They did a great job with the AC OST but FF10HD was an absolute disaster.
>>
>>316499440
i'm so used to the original OST that I'm afraid any change is going to ruin it for me
>>
>>316499630
>>316499440
Wll, we might get a first look at said remastered soundtrack through Smash. Unless they just go with the original pieces.
>>
>>316498549

i already accepted square-enix fucking up the remake as a thing

they can't do worse than what they did with compilation of final fantasy vii anyway

r-right?
>>
>>316490740
of course I loved it
>first big open world RPG
>memorable characters
> unique customization
>god tier soundtrack
this is the game that made jrpg popular in America with out the success of ff7 we woulden't enjoy half the rpg games that came onto the ps1
>>
File: v693ml9.png (245 KB, 500x350) Image search: [Google]
v693ml9.png
245 KB, 500x350
>>316494758

FF7 SD model have it's charm, it's just that because of the technology they always looked like blurry popeye arm mess, now that we have the technology to do SD like it should be done (like what they do in the CG movies) nobody wants to do it because "IT'S TOO CARTOONISH AND CHILDISH"

it fucking sucks
>>
>>316498197
why do you faggots have to be such contrarian faggots to think 5 is the best game
>>
>>316499440

>All I really hope is that they don't fuck up the music, it's the heart and soul of a JRPG and the music in FF7 is iconic as it gets.
True

>They did a great job with the AC OST
But AC is like 80% piano remixes and completely killed the techno/electronica vibe of FFVII. Your comment seems to be going against the point you're trying to make.
>>
>>316500245
Dude, it's almost universally agreed that V is one of the best FF games. If anything, you're the contrarian here.
>>
>>316490740

Played it on the PSP not too long after it was first broken by DarkAlex. I enjoyed it quite a bit. People say it's overrated and I feel it is, but it was still a very fun RPG.

The W-Item exploit later in the game made stat raising much less annoying too.
>>
File: Cloud_Field_Model_Concept_Art.jpg (109 KB, 334x712) Image search: [Google]
Cloud_Field_Model_Concept_Art.jpg
109 KB, 334x712
>>316499425
It was to reduce Polygon count for fields

Nomura designed the field models to actively look like that because of their limitations with polygons and inexperience with 3D at the time
>>
>>316500464
I'm excited for FF Explorers, but I'd love it if they used models such as the concept art.
>>
>>316490740

I loved it. Every single second. I'd give up every single game released in the last 10 years before I'd give up FFVII (and FFVII isn't even my favorite game).

>Did you start hating it after people started liking it like you always do?

No, I'm not a faggot like that who bases his opinions on the hive mind.
>>
>>316500259

The AC OST showed they understood the source material and were able to adapt it perfectly to the setting and style of the film. They managed to keep every bit of emotion and purpose in each piece while adding in brand new songs that went along with it all perfectly.

Certainly it's a little too heavy for a remake of the actual game but it at least showed they knew what they were doing and could treat it with respect. FFX HD was full on JUST mode.
>>
>>316490740
I literally started playing it for the first time yesterday. I'm having a good time so far tbqh.
>>
>>316494758
>They look deformed. I have no idea if it was on purpose or not, but they do and always did

It was on purpose. It was to look cartoony and similar to the sprites used in the 2d FF games.
>>
I felt sorry for Dyne
I think that was the first suicide I saw in a video game
>>
>>316491523
>usually Nintendo fans who were kids/teenagers when it came out and saw it as the great enemy.

Nah. Nintendo fans from that time period simply bought a PlayStation and enjoyed it.

The people who hated it when it was new are the people who were too cool for school and hated anything that wasn't about shooting things in one manner or another (although a few of them managed to get through the game by using Barret+Vincent).
>>
File: 1436637607701.jpg (487 KB, 706x1000) Image search: [Google]
1436637607701.jpg
487 KB, 706x1000
>>316500785

I really can't agree. The piano themes didn't fit the crazy action and style of the movie to me at all. But that's just my opinion obviously.
>>
>>316490740
Played in a PSone when I was kid and was boring

III, IV and IX are the only games in the series that I truly enjoy
>>
>>316490740
Haven't played it yet. Want to finish V and VI first.
>>
Final Fantasy VII was the Star Wars of video games, for the good and the bad.
>>
In my experience the people who hated FFVII were the ones that hated turn based battles, "standing in line and waiting to attack"
different strokes and all
>>
>>316490740
Yes, borrowed it from a friend and loved it so much that I begged my parents to buy it me. I did end up being frustrated to the point of tears because I was so young that I could not figure out how to catch a Chocobo to escape that fucking snake.

>Did you start hating it after people started liking it like you always do?
Nope. It was one of the most important games of my life. I went through the entire compilation too.
>>
>>316500785
the AC OST was also created by uematsu, and hes not working on the remake, but, you can also say that most of the FFVII OST is already made so SE just needs to adapt that shit for the remake, and SE has pretty great composers still, so i'm not that worried, and going by the initial reveal trailer theres hope for the OST even if it was just them putting the orchestral version of clouds theme and beyond the wasteland from AC
>>
>>316501138
i dont agree, beyond the wasteland was great for that scene at the beginning when cloud was being chased by monsters on his bike, it had some great orchestral fight music like battle in the forgotten city and great mood setting music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX1H5d3x8CI

those who fight is pretty good, even though i've heard better covers of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Yizl11-zmc

JENOVA theme is pretty great as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3srOiO4XeDs

cloud smiles is amazing as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sphOi1zN300
>>
File: 1446544527482.jpg (51 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
1446544527482.jpg
51 KB, 1024x576
>>316492378
>FVIII
>>
>>316490740
I was around 10 years old when it came out, and it fucking blew my little kid mind. My gaming experiences until then were mostly platformers and shit. A lot of Vectorman, Star Fox 64, Crash Bandicoot, etc. To play a gigantic RPG like that with a focus on character building was foreign to me, so even shit that I now see as very weakly implemented were incredible to me.

Still my favorite game to this day, can't wait for the remake to ruin it all for me.
>>
Mediocre Game
Just dull and slow as fuck

When I went to Shinra HQ and I took "the stairs" that would never end I said "FUCK THIS GAME"

I made it out of Midgar and I just didn't have the motivation to continue with this mediocre unfun shit
>>
>>316490740
I had tons of fun playing it and haven't particularly changed my opinion about it over the years.
>>
>>316493675
No but those field models were always silly.
People either ignored the fact or giggled at it for a bit, but no one thought they looked actually good.
It was the backgrounds, battles and the cutscenes that stole the show and what earned the game its praise for the visuals.
>>
>>316503336
>Not going throught the front door like Barret suggested
Your fault.
>>
>>316501551
Not at all, it's just that the genre had already reached the pinnacle of quality. FFVII was a stepdown for anyone that wasn't playing it has a babby's first RPG
>>
>>316500464
>>316499425
They also tried to emulate the sprite look (note that they were still stuck in 320x240 and afraid of finer 3D details just disappearing into flickering mess).
It's probably important to note that all the screens using the field models run in 30FPS as opposed to battles and 15FPS, so the lower polycount is probably related too.
>>
>>316500373
What the fuck? No
>>
File: chii07.gif (64 KB, 635x477) Image search: [Google]
chii07.gif
64 KB, 635x477
>>316500373

>one of the least played FF games
>universally agreed to be the best

>FF fans
>universally agree on anything
>>
>>316498197
Move VI to god, IV and IX to great and it's all good
>>
>fighting Rufus one on one
>he grabs the helicopter with one hand like a badass and leaves

that was so epic to my 7 year old mind
>>
I liked it when I first played it back in the day, but I thought it was overrated.
I like the game now, but I think it's overrated.

The game is just overrated.
>>
>>316503624
>Listening to a dumb nigger
Go back to Reddit
>>
>>316504380
>one on one
scratch that, I forgot about Dark Nation
>>
>>316497508
FF8 had some excellent visual design. Replaying the game I noticed that all those minigames and action sequences really do help to bring variety to the game. It helps that they're also all story-contextual, so it was never "press these buttons just because".
>>
>>316504895
>listening to a woman instead
go back to dumblr :^)
>>
>>316500373
>>316500245
While it's not actually "universally agreed" a lot of people consider FFV's job system to be the best system in the series.

I never actually liked it. Felt like it was just too much grinding which was frustrating, like in FFVII for most of the game you just feel bad about all the awesome spells your materia is capable of but you haven't reached that level yet. It's just that it doesn't matter, you can customize the materia of any character all the time.
To me, FFV felt similar to that except you had to grind for it like the materia. It was frustrating.
>>
Maybe I was starved for video games but god I loved it. It was my first real FF game outside of Tactics Advance.

I pirated the PC version when I was in early high school and for whatever reason it just refused to play cutscenes, and so would get stuck forever on the Cosmo Canyon scene at the observatory.

I was so desperate to finish the rest of the adventure I went out and bought a PS1 used, found out very quickly no store had used copies of the game, borrowed it from a guy I sorta knew at school, forgot to buy a memory card because never had a PSanything before, and stubbornly decided I was going to beat the game without saving or turning off the console. Just left it running but unplugged at night.

And I did. Mom turned it off once but I was only just out of Midgar so it was recoverable, and I only game overed once due to a group of those lightning birds on the way to Wuxia after Yuffie steals all your materia. Christ that was a week down the drain.

But I beat it the next try, no saves. Worth it. Still have incredibly fond memories of the game just for all the lengths I went to to finish it.

Game itself is probably a little overrated, it's very high points interspersed by weird points and wtf points and the usual random meaningless fluff minigames that make up an FF game but it's still damn good.
>>
>>316490740
I don't know, I always go from intrigued to bored to really immersed, then I get bored again

I'm at the beginning of CD2 now
>>
File: 1447200206217.jpg (180 KB, 600x954) Image search: [Google]
1447200206217.jpg
180 KB, 600x954
12 year old me fucking adored every last bit of it and while I can personally name better RPG's now as the years have gone by it still holds an incredibly huge place in my heart.
I would talk about it with people at school almost every day, I would see the commercials on TV and get hype even when I already had the game.
>>
File: 1435884179809.png (124 KB, 500x1477) Image search: [Google]
1435884179809.png
124 KB, 500x1477
>>
>>316505126

I still think FFVIII has the best direction in the series. The story may be dumb, but that's true of every FF game. When it comes to developing a setting and FMV cutscenes, I still think FFVIII did it best.
>>
Good game, poor protagonist.
>>
>>316504380
It was so cheesy. I was 16 when I first played the game in 2009 and couldn't help smiling.
It's the little things.
>>
>>316490740
I was not even born when FF7 was released and im so hyped for the remake.
Going to preorder it 100%
>>
>>316490740
15 years ago, I didn't even know what I was doing. I enjoyed the errors, hardly even grinded but managed to get to the end. Demon Wall was vexating, and the story and the adventure was what sticked out. Being that young it was amazing.
One time I finished the 1st disc in a day.
My playstation eventually pooped out, and thrown away. Emulation wise I play it a few times a year. Still have the original discs.
It's the most memorable RPG I've played. When I was younger I liked that the characters were chibi.

I think I waned, after 05 I realised. Square was never going to revisit the series seriously. I kind of wanted it remade on the PS2, after X. I wished XIII was more successful, because it did underwhelm.
I would have had a sequel over a prequel, perhaps a FF7-2 on the psp.
>>
File: best party member.jpg (146 KB, 900x643) Image search: [Google]
best party member.jpg
146 KB, 900x643
Loved it when I first played it in the late 90s, still love it now and replay it almost yearly. Really not sure how to feel about the remake, since I can't trust modern Square and fully expect them to casualize, an already simple game, or just generally ruin shit.
>>
These games are so fucking boring. Play dark cloud or something, actually fun games.
>>
>>316490740
It was the first time I'd played a game like it so I was mad hype over it back in the day.
>>
can you imagine the motorcycle chase in the remake?
the bath in honeybee manor?
the cross dressing part?
the dolphin jump?
swinging your rifle in that parade for Rufus
the slap fight on Sister Ray?
>>
File: FF6.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1404) Image search: [Google]
FF6.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1404
This video game is better
>>
File: image.jpg (6 KB, 90x98) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
6 KB, 90x98
>>316505734
Man I really like that PS1 Cloud's face.
I guess it's just the low poly doing it's thing, but he looks more masculine originally than in the Compilation.

I mean there's something more more recognizable about this somehow.
>>
I'm not even ashamed to say FF7 changed my life and has had a huge influence on it. I'm nervous about the remake, but if they pull it off it will be another life changing experience. That's a big if, though.
>>
>>316490740
Loved it then and loved it now. Rest of the compilations goes into the trash.
>>
>>316506549
>has World Of Ruin
>better than anything

hue hue
>>
>>316506549
Agreed, but we can all agree that both were great and revolutionary.
Classic FF was a really good time to be into video games.
>>
File: Meat.png (209 KB, 332x396) Image search: [Google]
Meat.png
209 KB, 332x396
>>316490740

Got around to playing it because some girl was spregging about Sephiorth and how hot he was so I finally caved and bought it on PSN.

Got to the point I got Vincent in the party and kinda got bored and quit.

3 months later I powered through and got to the so called Aerith's death, at that point I decided I was going to complete the god damn game.

All and All, I really liked the game and it possibly one of my favorite classics.

As far as JRPG's go i'd say it's in my top 10.

DragonQuest 8 would probably be my number one.
>>
I loved it then and I love it now. Can't wait for the ps4 port so I can plat it
>>
>>316506710
>hating on WoR
Wat
>>
>>316506609
I like it too. Since AC Cloud's face has been entirely re-invented, and even in merch based on FF7 they pretend his original design never existed.

The only good change was probably lowering his pants from his rib cage. Everything else just served to perpetuate the idea that Cloud is an emo faggot.
>>
>>316490740
First saw it at my cousins - he was in the Shinra building, I was absolutely blown away by the pre-rendered backgrounds, and then I saw a summon. I literally had to have it

I got it, and was so young and retarded it took me near a year to finish it, but I loved it
>>
>>316507080
>DragonQuest 8 would probably be my number one.
this guy's a connoisseur
>>
>>316504895
Especially since you should have learned your lesson after the bad localization made him tell the player to attack the first boss while its tail was up, which is literally the last thing you are supposed to do. Around blacks, never relax.
>>
>>316490740
I've never played FF7, even as a kid I didn't like turn based combat, so I missed out on a lot of games a lot of kids played. No pokemon, no FF, no Chrono Trigger. I'm sad I'll still never be able to get into these games.
>>
File: 1439100017841.png (10 KB, 180x200) Image search: [Google]
1439100017841.png
10 KB, 180x200
>>316490740
Finished it a couple of days ago.

It was decent but overrated in some aspects.

The soundtrack is near flawless.
I love all of the diverse locations and environments.
The mechanics are functional, I like the Materia system but it's pretty generic overall.
All of the mini games range from meh to awful.
Pretty much the only thing I liked about the story was Cloud and the twist involving his character, I thought it was well done.
The rest of the story is just typical anime nonsense and I never got why people like Sephiroth so much

Overall, I liked it, I think it was the paing that drew me to like FF7 overall.
It never feels like there's ever any filler and this helped the pacing a shit ton.

One of my main problems with FF6 was the needless filler that added nothing to the story and FF7 is much improved in this regard.
>>
>>316507328

I am not very rich in my JRPG library.
>>
>>316507350
Didn't Cloud say that?
>>
>>316507407

Sorry, but, like what filler?

The separate ways? (Sabin's is both a chore and very cool story wise)
>>
>>316507107
>story dies
>narrative dies
>character fetch quest
>you can finish the game without the majority of these supposedly "important" characters

WoB>>>>>shit>>>>WoR desu senpai
>>
>>316506530
The eldritch horror lurking in the depths when you're forced to do the submarine portions for the white materia?

God I shiver just thinking about it. Turn that part into a fucking cutscene Square, I do not need super good grafix Emerald Weapon and deep ocean gameplay. Had to summon up all my little kid will when it first came out to get through that shit.
>>
>>316492161
No nostalgia actually factors into how great it is

It is and was a fantastic game with the graphics and the translation being the only things that didn't age well

Everything else still holds up and is amazing. There's a ton of reasons why its as iconic as it is. I wish idiots like you that call all love towards old classics nostalgia would actually play the games that you're talking about.
>>
Finished and loved it when it first came out. Not playing it again because I know it'll ruin the game for me. Waiting for the remake to see how that goes.
>>
File: Dissidia_Final_Fantasy_Cloud.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Dissidia_Final_Fantasy_Cloud.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>316507247
It's a bit better in Dissidia. The color theme's faithful, so is the outfit and the face is now more like what you see in the original game.
>>
>>316507557
It might be. They didn't have any indicator of who was saying what. God that game had some '97 as fuck localization, so bad. Yes Aerith, this guy are sick, thank you for the stunning input.
>>
>>316507407
>materia
>generic

Confirmed for not knowing what the fuck you're talking about
>>
>>316507796
Yeah he looks pretty good from what I've seen. Now I just have to hope he'll actually act like himself. Crazier things have happened, right?
>>
Loved it then love it now
>>
File: 1367513679326.gif (975 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1367513679326.gif
975 KB, 400x225
>>316507629
>submerge
>Emerald is right fucking there
>>
>>316507768
really hope they fucking deliver with the remake
>OST
>chocobo breeding and racing
>honey bee inn and don corneo
>the quirky moments
>the weapons roaming around the map, mostly ultima
>the minigames, like bike racing and snowboard, as well as that minigame in fort condor
>the relationship shit, gotta get my barret gondola ride on gold saucer

god, theres so much running on this fucking remake its not even funny
>>
>>316508210
>get out of gelnika
>it's there
>>
I like really liked it, thought it was kind of iffy and the game became extremely easy by the point you reach the final dungeon unless you were extremely autistic and grinded to level 99.
Also i didn't lke how every character was just a blank space for materia.
Overall, really good.
>>
>>316507350
It actually tells you NOT to attack it, but the second half of the message is really fucking delayed. I think the line was something like "Attack when the tail is up....and it'll counter with it's tail laser"
>>
>>316507350
>Attack while its tail's up!
>It's going to counterattack with its laser!

I can actually see why English natives think he means the opposite of what he's saying, and it is indeed grammatically poor.
But that's how people speak a lot of times, leaving out words and just assuming you know what they mean.
Makes sense especially for a nignog.
>>
Replaying it recently just reminded me of how much I hate random encounters and how dated they feel. I have no idea how I endured them as a kid. And I played FF1 and games like Breath of Fire and Phantasy Star before it. Life is better without them. Base gameplay doesn't hold up that well, since I just don't enjoy turn based so much now but as far as turn based goes, it's serviceable. Some of the mini games feel silly, but they're mostly harmless. The materia system holds up well and is still great. I wish all FF games just continued to use it. Exploration is still fun, but can't compete with some of the open world games we have today in terms of freedom and quantity of stuff to explore. Although Daggerfall came out around the same time - I remember playing that before 7 - so you can't say that's just compared to today's games.

Graphics don't hold up well, but that's to be expected. Soundtrack is still amazing. Story are characters are still okay, but I didn't enjoy it as much as a kid. Overall, still good but not as good as I remember.
>>
>>316507918
>They didn't have any indicator of who was saying what
Yes they did.
>>
>>316508054
I think SE's trying to improve. Years of negative feedback and finally the poor sales of FFXIII probably woke them up at least on some level.
>>
>>316508646
SE has a lot of really interesting projects in the works after years of having shit for first party anything worth caring about, outside of ARR fanboys.

I just hope some of them pay off. If either FF7 remake or SO5 pay off I'll be fucking happy as hell.

Let alone DQ11 or FF15.

Still stoked finding out DQ7 and 8 3DS are coming over.
>>
File: cloud1.jpg (3 MB, 2881x4167) Image search: [Google]
cloud1.jpg
3 MB, 2881x4167
>>316506530
i'm more worried about them butchering Zacks death sequence, it was so brutal and had a finality to it that kinda got lost in later games that just like to overdramatize the death of characters

thats my main concern, and i mostly blame that shit Crisis Core game for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_SgvAb8W9M
>>
>>316508936
CC's version will stay in. It will not surprise me if the remake shows Cloud watching Angeal descend from the heavens and take up Zack.
>>
>>316507628
>Story dies
Most of the characters get their most development in the World of Ruin.

Just because you can rush to the Final Boss doesn't mean the game is bad. The whole second half of the game is something you are supposed to explore and discover yourself.

>Narrative dies
What narrative? The empire? They lost power halfway through the WoB. Espers? They still are integral in the WoR. All the characters still struggle with the issues they have in WoB (Cyan and his family struggles, Gau and his father, Shadow and his past, Terra finding where she belongs, etc.)
>>
>>316507728
>No nostalgia actually factors into how great it is
And there's your nostalgia talking.
In a vacuum, yes, a game stands on its own.
As it is, though, nostalgia plays a large part in how people like yourself treat certain games.
As in, you overhype their greatness mostly due to your nostalgia.

>Everything else still holds up and...
...is okay.

>that call all love towards old classics
Not all, just the general behavior of nostalgiafags such as yourself.

>would actually play the games
I have. And it was okay.

I'm sure Pong was the hottest thing around when it came out, but it's not all that impressive anymore. Fun, maybe, but not impressive.

There's a possibility you're not a nostalgiafag, though, but that's for another talk.
>>
>>316509168
Games aren't rated on how impressive they were at the time.
>>
>>316490740
No, the only FF i ever played was Crystal Chronicles.
>>
>>316509168
Not him, but maybe its just because you dont like the game.

I've introduced 7 to 6-7 of my good friends and every single one of them thought it was legendary.

It isn't my favorite FF, and nowhere near my favorite game of all time, but to think people are instantly blinded by nostalgia because they think it is a good game is even more ridiculous than your claims.
>>
>>316496838
6 and 9 fans arent that bad, they usually agree on multiple games being good. Lightning fags are terrible though. For how decent 5 is, that game has a shitty fanbase on /v/
>>
>>316509992
The nostalgia goggles argument is retarded in a lot of situations. I had some faggot call me a nostalgic neckbeard just because I said morrowind is a good game. I played it in 2014
>>
>>316490740
Legitimately hated it; played it very shortly after I'd just gotten through FF6, and it felt lackluster in comparison.

I hardly liked a single character, and the plot was a convoluted mess. I had more fun playing the Golden Saucer submarine game than the actual game surrounding it.
>>
>>316509097
I just think spliting up the party was a mistake
They could've done something similar to the bonfire scene in Chrono Trigger to make the characters feel like a group, interacting together
I didn't like how some characters like Banon and Arvis just disappeared without a word
The WoR could've been about the revival of the returners or some shit, anything than just "get ur guys back and kill kefka"

I dunno, I loved the WoB and the WoR just soured my experience with 6
It's like it tried to be a FF game and a romancing saga game at the same time
>>
>>316510478
A lot of people here just like to be contrarian for the sake of it. They see a lot of people raving about it, and because they don't like it, they jump to the assumption that it is overrated.

It's weird that most other forms of media tends to appreciate the classics, but for video games, its almost the exact opposite with younger people.
>>
>>316509703
They kind of are, though.

>>316509992
>every single one of them thought it was legendary
Good for them.
I was talking specifically about nostalgiafags. I've already said that I like FF7.

It's okay. It's "good."
>>
>>316510714
The returners had no purpose post WoB, the empire was destroyed, Banon disappearing was disappointing though, and its kinda implied he just died during the cataclysm, or went into seclusion to live the rest of his days.

But you are missing the point of the WoR, the focus is heavier on character development, way more than the first half. It is handled really well too, no characters are needlessly doing shit, they are all fulfilling their personal struggles that were brought upon in the first half of the game. The way you described it needlessly over simplifies the entire chapter of the game.
>>
File: 2015-07-22_00012.jpg (323 KB, 3200x1800) Image search: [Google]
2015-07-22_00012.jpg
323 KB, 3200x1800
My biggest gripe with FF7 is that I don't really like the characters.
I mean most of them are iconic at this point but I barely sympathize with any of them. They just feel very flat and superficial and I never really feel much chemistry between the party members, but maybe thats just the fault of the localization, who knows.
>>
>>316511325
>not liking Tifa
>not liking Cid
>not liking Barret
>not liking to Mosey
>the year two thousand and one five.
>>
File: 1392722081942.jpg (250 KB, 1200x1350) Image search: [Google]
1392722081942.jpg
250 KB, 1200x1350
>>316508936
>majority of the comments say how CC was better
>they can't separate random battles from story scenes
>>
I played it when I was a little kid and it was the first turn-based game that I played so I got my shit pushed in. I didn't hate it though. Perservering through the story and getting new weapons/materia for my characters was enough to make me keep going
>>
>>316490740
It still is my favorite game of all time. I cry everytime I see Aerith or Zack's fates.
>>
>>316490740
No it fucking sucks. Nothing anyone says makes sense and cloud is a bitch
>>
>>316490740
I enjoyed ff3 more but 7 was fun.
>>
I hope they just update the OST and make as few changes as possible
something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XVjAXaELIg
>>
>>316508936
FF7 showed it from Clouds perspective, we only see Zack walk off screen and hear battle noises, then he comes back on screen and is killed by three soldiers
CC showed it from Zacks, the only difference is that we see what Zack did when he ran off screen and fought the soldiers which is what the battle noises in 7 were, then he comes back towards the cliff and is killed by three soldiers

ACC shows it again from Clouds perspective and it was just like in FF7
>>
First time I played FF7 was my first time playing a turn based RPG.
I remember I was sleeping over at a friend's house and he let me start a new game. I really enjoyed myself and got into the story hardcore. I remember I made it all the way to Junon and fought Jenova on the boat before it was time for us to sleep. I remember seeing the Midgar Zolom and really being in awe of what Sephiroth did to it when I avoided it at all costs. I ended up buying a playstation along with the game a few weeks later with my allowance. Beating the game and beating the extra bosses especially Ruby weapon was such an accomplishment for me.
I replayed the game multiple times since then and noticed more and more parts of it getting tiresome but it's still one of my most beloved games.
>>
>>316506530
I can only hope with all my heart that the slapping scene has both women's tits bouncing pike mad as they smack one another.
>>
Of course. Ended up talking about it constantly at school for a good few years.
>>
>>316514179
Pike = like

Damn auto correct.
>>
>>316490740
I did enjoy FFVII, but I did enjoy others more.
>>
>>316493960
>I just want everyone to know that that's what people who think OoT is better did / do.
No, that's just you being a dickhead.

Man, I played both FFVII and OoT around a year after they came out respectively. OoT was so much better than VII it wasn't funny. The game gives you a ridiculous level of interaction with the world that really hasn't been matched by anything (though the dungeons are really overrated and I have no idea why people judge modern Zelda on them when the overworld is usually fifty times better). FFVII is a good game, and has a few great segments, but the bulk of the gameplay is utterly mindless and simple, and the game world is no where near as immersive as Hyrule. Nibelheim and the Wall Market being the only places comparably clever when matched against Zelda.
>>
File: cloud.jpg (214 KB, 1739x1198) Image search: [Google]
cloud.jpg
214 KB, 1739x1198
>>316513145
no it wasnt go look at the CC and the original scene, in the original, Zack and cloud, reach the clearing overlooking midgar and a shinra battalion eraches them, zack leaves cloud right there, and goes fight the shinra soldiers right behind them, when he comes back he kneels over cloud and a couple shinra shoot him by surprise, they then go over him and unload a full mag on his chest, they then approach cloud and decide hes a nonissue and leave, cloud goes over zack grabs his sword, realises hes dead and screams

while in the CC version we see zack hide cloud, then go to the clearing for this retarded fight against shinra where you have no chance of winning, theres no surprise shooting, theres no unloading a mag while hes down, theres no deciding that cloud (a character thats supposed to be there) as a non issue, its just an overdramatuzed piece of shit scene, with a final you're my living legacy speach shit, coupled with angeal picking you up and HIGH FIVE crap

both scenes are in direct contrast with each other, and change the original meaning of the scene, that death is quick, tragic and sometimes theres no time for goodbyes, most of the people that like the CC scenes argument to defend that shit is that it has better graphics and voices, it'll be a damn shame it this is the version they go with in the remake
>>
>>316494146
Yes. FFVII is good. It's not astoundingly great, but is worth playing.
>>
>>316510776
Your opinion isn't the end all be all and you're clearly ignored how influential and amazing it still is

It did things that games nowadays still don't do well
>>
>>316490740
I liked it but I hated it after 10 year old me couldn't beat one of the superbosses.
>>
>>316515978
>Your opinion isn't the end all be all
Of course.

>you're clearly ignored how influential
Yes, I have ignored how influential it is because that has nothing to do with its overall quality.

>and [okay] it still is

>It did things that games nowadays still don't do well
What, exactly, are those things?
>>
I never played it, but I own it on PSN and plan to play it
>>
>>316516913
Good for you
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.