[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fallout NV advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7
File: Fallout_New_Vegas.jpg (36 KB, 256x315) Image search: [Google]
Fallout_New_Vegas.jpg
36 KB, 256x315
With the release of Fallout 4, I managed to find Fallot NV for £3 so I bought it. I have never played a Fallout game and basically know nothing about it. All I know is that there are builds, there are skills, and perks. But I don't even know what they do.

So any advice for someone starting Fallout NV for the first time on any Fallout game? I was considering a melee build but I want advice? Such as skill distributions, perks, and if there is anywhere I should make sure I go early game for good loot/missions?
>>
>>316467113
Shameless self-bump
>>
Should have bought fallout 3, it's much better
>>
Game is about roleplaying so unlike the FPSes that are fallout 3 and 4 you can get past 70% of all quests just by having high speech
So put your points in that, it's fun
>>
>>316468506
Anywhere I should make sure I go on the way to NV?
>>
>>316469794
Just snoop around Primm and talk to people to get nice interesting quests.
Those quests will get you to other locations from where you can also talk to people to get new interesting quests
That's how the game plays
>>
skip dead money
>>
>>316467113
Don't worry too much about builds and getting items, you can finish the game with anything pretty much, especially with the VATS.
>>
>>316467483
nice meme
>>
>>316467113
Make sure you dump a lot of points into Speech and repair. Both of them are incredibly important.

To be honest for your first playthrough small guns is a good way to go because early on the game really favors them but melee is still viable.

You're in for a good experience New Vegas is my favorite game of all time.
>>
>>316467113
For Melee/Unarmed?

High STR/END, high AGI/LUK. Low charisma, lower than normal INT. You'll need 6 Perception for Finesse, but feel free to go 5 if you think you can nab that implant.

Perks you'll want are Ninja, Slayer, basically every unarmed/melee perk. Besides the shit that lowers your critical damage, not that one.

Incredibly strong build, more so if you take drugs. Always take drugs, because drugs are fantastic. They're your friends.
>>
>>316427426
>>316474034
Snipers are fine late game. I hate how you can't get the legendary guass with wild wasteland.
>>
>>316474451
Agreed, but to be fair Wild Wasteland is only noticeable if you've done a playthrough without it first.
>>
Thanks everyone, just going in now. From what ive read it seems like my type of game so lookint forward to it
>>
>>316475772
Hope you enjoy it, anon.
Here's to you fucking Red Lucy.
>>
Should I just play Fallout NV instead of 4?

Is 4 really that downgraded?
>>
>>316475772

Check mods lists in /vg/ if you can lad.
>>
>>316476325
Biggest problem is the sheer lack of content compared to even Fallout 3. Just a whole lot less in the way of viable playstyles and weapons n shit.
>>
>>316469794
They tell you to go north for a reason. Though there is a good combat knife up that way, need to bring a shovel though.
>>
File: 1415378803495.png (259 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1415378803495.png
259 KB, 640x480
>Come Fly With Me
>>
Make sure you go Legion.
>>
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 331x401) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 331x401
>>316476762
Literally the worst quest, always set those fucks up for sabotage
>>
File: 1442936288652.jpg (35 KB, 601x601) Image search: [Google]
1442936288652.jpg
35 KB, 601x601
>>316476873
I will admit, doing it as a retarded melee guy was worth it for the cheap melee weapon and this.
>>
>>316476432
I would but I picked it up on ps3. It was £3 as i said at game, if I like the base game I wil get it on PC and mod it.

>>316476587
Cool, thanks. I'll make sure I grab the first shovel I see.

>>316476810
Honestly no clue what that means lol
>>
>>316477773
If you want to cheese your way through pick speech asa main skill, or don't to avoid it. A lot of situations can be easily resolved or locked into different scenarios depending on how high it is
>>
>>316477773
You'll figure out there's a bunch of big groups in New Vegas, among smaller groups. Just talk with people and figure out who you like.
>>
>>316476325
4 plays more like a fps then a rpg , do yourself a favor and play NV instead
>>
>>316476325
>Should I just play Fallout NV instead of 4?

Absolutely

>>316467113

Don't put any points into charisma, it's worthless since all speech checks are determined by skills, not SPECIAL. Don't go full melee from the start, I'd recommend putting points into guns before any other weapon types. Raise your speech skill early on so you can pass checks, leave barter until late game. Luck is very important, and I recommend starting with at least 6 points in it. The more endurance you have the more implants you can buy (implants raise your SPECIAL), start with 7+ endurance. Start with at least 5 strength so you can actually carry things. You can put perception at 5 as well. Start with 6 or 7 intelligence and get the implant ASAP, because int determines your skill points per level. The earlier you get the implant the more beneficial it is. Also, don't overlook the repair skill. I recommend leveling it after speech and guns. Remember not to level your skills past 80 (90 if you don't take comprehension) due to skill books. Some skills have pretty severe diminishing returns, so keep that in mind when prioritizing points early on. The only skill i'd worry about getting to 80 early on is speech.

As far as perks go, pick things that increase your crit chance or crit damage, or just your total damage output. Accuracy in vats is also nice (sniper perk). I prefer to take the comprehension perk over educated, don't take both of them as they are redundant together (you will have way more skillpoints than you need to max every skill). Ranged sneak attack criticals are OP, so if you're going that route you will probably want to increase the difficulty. For the early game stick with a few different kinds of guns. Shotguns suck early on, and require special perks to be good if you are playing on higher difficulties. If you perk shotguns out they can be crazy good though. Don't stress too much on your first playthrough, just try to have fun.
>>
>>316479998
(cont.)

Play on hardcore mode, it adds immersion and challenge to the game. I also recommend getting the hand loader perk once you've taken care of some basic perk needs. Jury rigging is also useful.

I recommend Tagging speech, lockpick, and electronics. If you're doing hardcore mode tag survival instead of one of those, so you can make decent food. Don't worry about leveling survival past 50 until late game. You'll also want to get Lockpick up to 75 along with speech early on.
>>
>>316479998

Speech checks might be decided by skill level alone but certain perks are not available without a high enough charisma. Also the higher the points the better the initil starting level.

Granted it's not the optimum way of playing. But if I'm playing as a smooth talking merchant/gambler it doesn't make sense to have like 3 charisma or something.
>>
>>316467483
Always one faggot.
>>
>>316481112
he asked for tips, not how to roleplay. Charisma is utterly pointless, the TWO perks that require it are complete garbage.
>>
>>316467113
>playing the trash version of fallout 3
do yourself a favor and burn that disc, and go play the SUPERIOR game fallout 3
>>
>>316481580
there isn't a single thing that fallout 3 does better than new vegas. Kill yourself, faggot.
>>
>>316481259

Sorry, I made the mistake of thinking this was a role playing game.
>>
File: 1397165237250.png (150 KB, 453x668) Image search: [Google]
1397165237250.png
150 KB, 453x668
I wish I could play NV for the first time instead of the garbage that FO4 turned out to be.
>>
>>316481805
Why are you being such an insufferable faggot? He asked for gameplay tips. I gave him some. If he wants to roleplay as a faggot with high charisma then thats up to him, not like he should give a fuck at that point. Charisma objectively sucks, why are you butt-hurt about it?
>>
>>316481742
It does being fun better
>>
File: 1321946175312.jpg (155 KB, 400x505) Image search: [Google]
1321946175312.jpg
155 KB, 400x505
>>316482112
not as fun as the bethesda offices I bet
>>
>>316482112
Fun in what ?
Where do you find fun in fo3 that you don't in fo nv
>>
>>316482112
>it's more fun™

Amazing argument.
>>
dont react to bait
>>
>>316482112
How is it more fun?
>>
>>316476432
Not him but every time I try to mod a beth game, it goes to shit. Skyrim either crashed or some stupid shit like the carriage at the beginning doing barrel rolls. Last time I played NV, my modding efforts resulted in a crash as soon as I left Goodsprings, no matter what direction.

Could that be because of too many mods? I had around 18 or so installed but checked for conflicts and compatibility multiple times. By the time I got to the crashes, I had already spent at least two hours and was too discouraged to check each individual one
>>
>>316483198
I have 200 mods on Skyrim and it never crashes. About 50 on NV but I haven't played it much with mods because I completed the game on PS3 like a massive casual.
>>
Play however you want
The game's a cakewalk so just pick whatever you feel like picking
>>
>>316467113
Min max SPECIAL:

Starting:
STR: 5

PER: 5

END: 8

CHA: 1

INT: 6

AGI: 7

Luck: 8

FINAL:
STR +1 implant, +2 reinforced spine (from DLC) = 8

PER: +1 implant = 6

END: +1 implant = 9

CHA: = 1

INT: +1 implant = 7

AGI: +1 implant, +1 small frame trait = 9

Luck: +1 implant = 9
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.