[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, I got home from work and tried not to spoil myself of the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
File: Cloud.Strife.full.900455.jpg (118 KB, 696x900) Image search: [Google]
Cloud.Strife.full.900455.jpg
118 KB, 696x900
So, I got home from work and tried not to spoil myself of the Direct. Watched it and was relatively pleased for some of it. Saw Cloud is going to be in Smash, was a bit happy. Not ecstatic but happy.

Now I am not a huge Final Fantasy 7 fan, in fact I deem it mediocre at best but in terms of an RPG its ok. But what got me thinking is, with Cloud now in the roster, who is to say that we can have any other major icon in gaming? If so, who would be next after the announcement of the Smash Ballot?
>>
I think Cloud is probably the last third party we'll see this game with the possible exception of Snake returning. Next time they'll probably just add Rayman or something.
>>
>>316463149
With the addition of Cloud I really can't see any rules or patterns other than the lack of western IPs.

Though I guess they could put Turok in and prove me wrong.
>>
>>316463441
It's kinda hard to dig up anything as iconic anymore.
Cloud's been appearing in games besides Final Fantasy VII for years now so he made sense.
>>
I don't believe Cloud has been on a Nintendo Console. Ever.
>>
>>316463603
He had a speaking part in one of those handheld KH games.
>>
>>316463603
PlayStation is a Nintendo console. They made it to get back at Nintendo for not being able to make a CD addon for the SNES.
>>
File: 1423479858495.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1479) Image search: [Google]
1423479858495.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1479
>>316463603
The first time ever I believe was Kingdom Hearts:Chain of Memories.
>>
>>316463603
Fuck off with this "only Nintendo relevant characters are allowed in Smash" mentality
>>
>>316463704
That Cloud wasn't even the real Cloud within the KH series though.
>>
>>316463603
He's in Kingdom Hearts isn't he? And Theatrhythm.

Anyways yeah if we got Snake back or dragged a Belmont/Alucard into the game, every major Japanese publisher would have a rep in Smash.
>>
>>316463603
He was in Kingdom Hearts for GBA and in other million games on the 3DS.

>>316463149
>>316463550
Cloud is in because FF was a major Nintendo series for the first six titles, but he is the most popular character of them all. It is just a simple association.
>>
>>316463770
Like KH cares though. We've had whole games with not-real characters.
>>
File: 1422341961710.gif (706 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1422341961710.gif
706 KB, 500x281
>>316463802
>or dragged a Belmont/Alucard into the game
>mfw
If only.
>>
Newgrounds was right
>>
I wouldn't be surprised if Master Chief showed up at this point
>>
>>316463567
Well I guess if you want to argue the point; I'd say you're right. There are no icons anymore. Not just from the gimmick in player customization. But that the same excessive media saturation is attempted for damn near everything, and god help us;the greatest out-game-market penetration in the last 10 years has been for Angry Birds.
>>
All Nintendo has left for 8-player smash is Banjo and Snake. Snake doesn't need an explanation, but Banjo is important to Nintendo's history.
>>
>>316464062
It was.

Reality has become stupid and it's as if everyone just lost awareness.
>>
>>316463149
Not your blog faggot.
>>
>>316463149
why are nintendo guys coming at sony guys
playstaion all stars is a last gen game and for some reason they keep getting this idea that they snag cloud from sony when the character belongs to square enix
>>
>>316463603
Final Fantasy has though.Can you think of a more popular character from Final Fantasy?
>>
>>316463149
This is pretty much the biggest coup they could've gotten. FFVII was the epitome of the Playstation marketshare when the Playstation emerged as a rival for the Super Nintendo. We saw Sony/Playstation's attempt to cobble together presently relevant IPs and the ones they still owned into a game like this and it flopped.

At this point Nintendo won't care about putting Zool in, they probably won't entertain the notion of letting Microsoft put a Spartan or Fable Hero into the game, they won't reach out to EA to get the Avatar, they don't need to try to get the license to Star Wars characters or whatever the hell anime is popular; they'll just take whatever the voting result is. Because they can't top this. At least not now.
>>
Even if FF6 is a better game than FF7, 7 is more iconic and Cloud is more remembered than Terra
>>
>>316463763
It's funny how nobody complained when Snake, Sonic, or Pac-Man hung out.
>>
>>316463149
This is just Ninty cashing in on the hype for the remake.

>>316463654
>>316463678
>>316463704
>>316463802
>>316463856
Cameo appearances only.
>>
>>316464462
____________Cid
>>
>>316463856
>Cloud is in because FF was a major Nintendo series for the first six titles
You have no idea where that's true or not and it probably isn't even the major reason he was added. Look at how Sakurai has measured third party character selection, he only inserts a Nintendo appearance as a small requirement. Implicitly that means Nintendo history is not the predominant factor to him.
>>
>>316463763
No one would complain if Sakurai literally didn't say almost exactly this around the time Brawl was being developed.

>>316466409
Except a lot of people did. Are you daft, m8? People complained about Snake especially and there are STILL people out there who didn't like that he was in Brawl.
>>
>>316467943
>No one would complain if Sakurai literally didn't say almost exactly this around the time Brawl was being developed.
Samefag here. Also, no one would complain if the whole thing didn't start out as a Nintendo All-Stars crossover game either.

Smash fans have every right to not be happy about Cloud's appearance. I myself have mixed thoughts on it. It's kinda cool but it's not like he deserves to be in the game and it's not like we needed another anime swordfighter anyway. There are more deserving FF reps.
>>
>>316467943
>No one would complain if Sakurai literally didn't say almost exactly this around the time Brawl was being developed.
He didn't really say that though. He said they should have appeared on Nintendo not that they should be particularly relevant to Nintendo per se.

Way more people complained about Snake long after Brawl was out than before for some reason.
>>
>>316469216
>He didn't really say that though. He said they should have appeared on Nintendo not that they should be particularly relevant to Nintendo per se.
He literally said that they needed to have significant history with Nintendo consoles. Snake, we all assumed was the exception.

>Way more people complained about Snake long after Brawl was out than before for some reason.
That's bullshit and you know it. There were tons of people complaining about Snake not fitting in before that came out and there are still people who feel that way. There are people who complain about Sonic, Mega Man, Pac Man, and Ryu. People are just more accepted of Cloud b/c all of them together kinda softened the blow already.
>>
>>316469516
>He literally said that they needed to have significant history with Nintendo consoles.
He didn't. He said they need to have significant game history, and that appearing appearing on Nintendo was more of a nod. Those are two separate criteria.

>That's bullshit and you know it.
It's not. Snake had detractors but not nearly as many (or as vocal) as during Smash 4's pre-release, probably because by the time Brawl was announced it was done and done.
>>
>>316470012
>He didn't. He said they need to have significant game history, and that appearing appearing on Nintendo was more of a nod. Those are two separate criteria.
Just looked it up and apparently you're right.

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/10/05/sakuraithirdparty/

>It's not. Snake had detractors but not nearly as many (or as vocal) as during Smash 4's pre-release, probably because by the time Brawl was announced it was done and done.
But you're still wrong about this. There were lots of people who didn't want him in Brawl and didn't like the idea of him in either. Remember all those people who didn't think he could work out as a fighter?
>>
>>316470606
>Remember all those people who didn't think he could work out as a fighter?
Yes. There were also kind of right because Snake behaves nothing like he does in his own games due to his totally restrained moveset potential. He was still fun tho
>>
File: 1441154479708.png (427 KB, 571x540) Image search: [Google]
1441154479708.png
427 KB, 571x540
I can't really think of anything iconic enough to top cloud in sheer "holy shit HE's in the game?" factor so I think as far as third parties are concerned, barring the possibility of snake which I'll admit is just a pipe dream, I think we're done.

I think it's possible we'll get some more veterans from smash like wolf and pichu. maybe ice climbers if they can manage to get them to work. Possibly some new nintendo IPs get represented.
>>
>>316471472
>ice climbers
I don't think 3DS can handle them. They would also be hard for Wii U's 8 players battles.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.