[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ask a former Gamestop employee anything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 4
File: GameStopLogo_BlackRed (1).jpg (205 KB, 1844x574) Image search: [Google]
GameStopLogo_BlackRed (1).jpg
205 KB, 1844x574
Ask a former Gamestop employee anything
>>
>>288420712
Did you throw vidya away as part of your job?
>>
Does it affect the store whenever I return a game?
>>
Did you enjoy your job?
>>
>>288420712
How do I get a job in gamestop, I already applied several times and they have never hired me.
>>
>>288421036
Not OP, but consider yourself lucky.
>>
Did you ever see employees try to hold vidya for them selves or friends?

Example; yesterday GameStops got a shipment of presumably the last MM3DS consoles. I went in to get one for my brother and the guy there said it was being held for someone. Another guy who I assume to be the manager walked up and said those weren't being held and were first come first serve and sold it to me.
>>
>>288420942
Did I ever? Oh boy,
>>
>>288421123
Lucky? I crave a job in the gaming industry, anything related will do fine.

What terrors are there?
>>
>>288420994
The store = to an extreme unmeasurable minimum
The employee who takes your return = might get fired
>>
>>288420712
Most annoying kind of customer?
>>
>>288421023
Most of the time, absolutely! Talking to different types of people about different types of games on daily basis. Sure, some days you only had 3 customers who all wanted Skylanders, but there were those hour-long Half-Life discussions as well!
>>
>>288421454
Why is the employee held liable? Not rhetorical. What is the logic there?
>>
>>288421036
Well I just applied for a "Christmas extras wanted!" thingy, proved myself to be knowledgable (I applied for Xmas extra for the PS4 launch) and then, well, I just did a good job.

I did quite a lot of fuck-ups here and there, but I was still one of the countries best employees, simply because I knew my shit. Just listen to podcasts and read IGN daily and you shouldn't have any problem.
>>
If someone brings in a really rare game or a collectors edition (steelbook, artbook ,soundtrack etc) you guys can just buy it immediately or put it on hold for yourselves?
>>
>>288421295
Well I can tell you this. Anyone can go into Gamestop and say "Do you have [Game X]?". If there's just one copy left they'll admit that "Yeah, but just one copy left!". They HAVE to hold it for ANY customer for 2 days. BUT the catch is, other employees or their friends can also hold the games for 2 days, however once these 2 days expire they can just "renew" it.

My one co-worked "renewed" our only copy of Mario Kart 8 for three weeks straight. Gamestop doesn't order more copies of a game until it's sold out, and since we "technically" had 1 Mario Kart 8 in stock, we couldn't sell it for almost a month (since the co-worker held it all this time)....
>>
Do you have Far Cry 6?
>>
>>288421501

Tie between unsupervised kid and person who will argue with you about something they're wrong about.

The kid because if they fuck anything up it looks bad on you and the arguing faggot because you have to deal with them until they give up because if you tell them something wrong it can come back and bite you in the ass later.
>>
>>288421907
We ALWAYS have to take it for the regular price. E.g, I once had a customer trade in The Last of Us Collector's Edition, with the statue, belt, steelbook and everything. He got like 10 bucks for the whole package.

Gamestop does NOT differ standard editions from Collector's Edition's, so NEVER EVER trade in your collector's edition (or you'll end up getting 3 bucks for your MGS: Phantom Pain Kojima Signed Diamond Marijuana Edition)
>>
Is it true you guys get punished if a customer cancels a preorder with you serving them?
>>
>>288422460
OP here. The above post wasn't written by me, but it pretty much sums it up. I'd also like to add "the mom who thinks she should get a discount on the new Skylanders because she already bought the last one". Those are the WORST.
>>
>>288420712
Are you interested in signing up for our rewards card?
Are interested in a Game Informer subscription?
Do you have any games you'd like to trade in?

how does it feel have to spout that shite multiply times a day?
>>
Has working at Gamestop ruined your love for gaming?
>>
>>288422779
Got any annoying amiibo people in your store?
>>
>>288422735
Yes. Gamestop employees have our own internal "leaderboards" (called the 'Beat Yesterday'). It's kinda like PSN trophies, and every cancelled pre-order shows. Not by who made the pre-order, but who had to stand there and take the cancellation. It sucks.
>>
>>288420712
How do I fix my home air conditioner.
>>
>>288422901
I dunno, left the job before the Amiibo launch
>>
>>288420712
Does Gamestop intentionally keep their prices very high even on used games and pay your games super low?
Also, do clerks have a policy that forces clerks to give you every possible buying option along with the game you bought?
>>
>>288422460
Then stop being wrong about things you clearly have no idea about.

I'm still laughing about the employee who argued with me about the PS4 having gddr6 ram.
>>
>>288422885
Nope, actually it has improved it. I used to only play retro games and PS Vita, however, working at Gamestop I got this great employee discount. I used it to get PS3 and FINALLY playing all the games I've read about for the last 6 years. Now I own a PS4, but I probably wouldn't have if I hadn't worked at GS!
>>
>>288422936
Fuck, that explains why one person from EB Games had an attitude with me when I cancelled my Battlefield 3 preorder a few years back.
>>
>>288423048
Actual HVAC technician here, what is it doing?
>>
Why is MGSVTPP collectors edition preorders, shipped directly to homes, 9-16 days after release to boot.
>>
>>288421374
From what I've heard, they treat their staff like shit. On top of that, you're dealing with plebs, brats, neckbeards, people who bought into the whole "nerd is cool" fad on a daily basis.
>>
>>288423201
Yes, yes and yes.
The earning margins are WAAAY higher on used games (Gamestop doesn't need to pay Sony to send Bloodborne from Japan when Average Joe can "send you" his Bloodborne from across the street). Add to that that the price is equivalent to the retail one and BAM, Gamestop makes a LOT of money.

I used to push for used games HUNDRED TIMES a day, but nowaydays, I never buy used. Support the developers! Gamestop takes ALL revenue from used games and gives NOTHING to developers. All money goes into printing more Loyalty Cards and shit
>>
Why the fuck is your mail so slow? The last time I pre-ordered online for whatever stupid reason it got there 5 business days AFTER launch?
>>
>>288423374
No idea, I left the job before MGSVTPP was this hyped. In my country, Gamestop doesn't ship to people's homes, so I've got no answer at all, sorry
>>
Did you ever get pepper sprayed?
>>
How much Jewish cock did you suck on a daily basis?
>>
>>288423671
Because Gamestop loses money by posting it to you. If you come to pick it up Day 1, Gamestop has to spend less money buying the parcel and stamps for your package. So by delaying the mail, they "make you" come pick it up in store (and force new offers down your throat meanwhile)
>>
>>288423475
>BAM, Gamestop makes a LOT of money.
>Gamestop takes ALL revenue from used games and gives NOTHING to developers
Wow I thought Gamestop were total dicks but it turns out it's full of shit as well
So do you have to costantly push season pass, insurance on games, newer card and annoy people to death and then charge more for games and make a lot of money
-How much does a gamestop emplo yee make a month more or less?
Is it a job you would advice to anyone?
Do they ever mention PC games and how they're disgustingly cheaper?
>>
>>288423762
Nope, but one co-worker got a gun to his head once
>>
>>288423990
Storytime motherfucker
>>
>>288423281

mine only blows hot air doing the summer and cold air during the winter
>>
>>288423720
It's 'kay, it must be something new because I never preordered a CE and was told it will be delivered to my home and given a order slip. I'll just deal with it wan wait a few extra days.
>>288423990
Proceed
>>
>>288423936
We have a list of things we need to push for each game. For example:

Pushes:

"Every game"
1. Ask if they know about the loyalty program. If not, recite the sales script for loyalty cards.
2. Game Protection. Say something that makes them feel stupid like "And I guess I'm adding Game Protection to the game riiiight???". If they decline, make them feel stupid by saying something like "But you knooooow this warranty protects from ANYTHING, so you can break it all you want??"

PC games/XBLA games:

"Have you got the season pass already?"
"Oh you don't? Well I'll add that as well then :) :) (without telling them it'll cost extra = VERY IMPORTANT)

Handheld consoles:

"And I guess you need an extra charger/stylus?" (Go get one while you ask so the customer feels to awkward to decline)

....-

There are SO many more examples like this. It's all a perfectly staged charade.
>>
>>288424649
>without telling them it'll cost extra = VERY IMPORTANT
Are you serious? Their policy requires you charge them 20 extra euros WITHOUT telling the customer?
> "But you knooooow this warranty protects from ANYTHING, so you can break it all you want??"
I can't believe every time I buy a game I have to go through this shit, and they have the databases on me so they know how many shekels I've spent on that damn shop
I still haven't had one game that doesn't work anymore and how the fuck do you damage a bluray anyways?
>>
>>288422603
What a ripoff

Thank for the info man!
>>
>>288424649
This is why I don't go to gamestop. The last time I was there a guy literally just pulled a game off the shelf and said how awesome it was. I had played the game and questioned him on it and he had no idea what he was talking about. This was probably 2 years ago. There's just no reason to support gamestop, especially how they treat customers. I just buy from amazon. Comes in the mail, no annoying questions, no hipster faggot trying to get my phone number or other stupid shit I shouldn't need to give them.
>>
>>288424947
Yup. You're encouraged to NOT tell them about additional fees. However if they ask, you say "OH yeaaaah, the warranty costs extra lol but it's worth it right???"

They keep you in their database for this exact purpose. Gamestop can see EXACTLY what you've ever bought. For instance, if they see you've bought Game Protection before, they're ordered to push it an extra amount onto you because they KNOW you've "given in to their pushing" before.
>>
>>288422603
Is there any way to calculate the amount gamestop will give you for your games? Like if you want to bring X games how much you'll get
I brought Watch Dogs with me on PS4 and they wanted to give me 5 euros
I sold it on ebay for 30
>>
>>288425289
Call them and ask for specific games. And MAKE SURE to ask about trade-in value VS cash value, or they'll only tell you trade-in value.

Good thing to know is cash value is ALWAYS EXACTLY 30% less than trade-in value
>>
>>288425185
>You're encouraged to NOT tell them about additional fees
And how can the employees tell a 12 year old kid who kept the exact amount of money their parents gave him that the game costs 20 euros more with season pass without taking a deep breath first or making moms who have no idea pay 20 more euros without opposing and get away with it?
>if they see you've bought Game Protection before, they're ordered to push it an extra amount onto you because they KNOW you've "given in to their pushing" before.
I literally said yes to a game 2 years ago because my sister was with me and offered to pay it to me
>>
>>288423216
>Gamestop confirmed for only hiring plebs and hipsters, not gamers
>>
>>288423990
are you going to drop that and then not tell us the story??? how could u
>>
>>288425468
>cash value is ALWAYS EXACTLY 30% less than trade-in value
And that is why I always prefer giving my money to anytone else rather than Gamestop
>>
>>288426471
yeah when I sold all my 360 crap I just spammed facebook made way more than if I flushed down gamestops proverbial toilet
>>
>>288426735
I've had decent success with Craigslist.
>>
Are those surveys that employees always highlight on the receipt worth anything to them? I always give good surveys since I've never had bad service, but I was just wondering.
>>
>>288426905
here is how my craiglist situations have gone
>cash only
>will you trade?
>trade?
>trade?
>and that one paypal shipping scam bullshit
>>
I fucking hate gamestop.
>>
>>288425159
The gamestop by my campus is pretty nice, and the guys there are chill as fuck. This one guy got me a DDD amiibo, and I preordered the New 3DS(MonHun) with the value shipping, and it got there super fast.
I will be buying at Best Buy more often though, because their gamer unlocked shit was on sale, and the discounts can be pretty good.
>>
File: 1426267839126.jpg (112 KB, 485x428) Image search: [Google]
1426267839126.jpg
112 KB, 485x428
>>288421820
> Just listen to podcasts and read IGN daily
>>
>>288420712
Why does the company think it's okay to put new games in paper slips? I came home with a defective disk tonight.
>>
>>288424649
>>288425185
>>288422201
>>288421454
>>288421346
This guy is obviously just some customer whose pissed off his local store. I've worked there 3 years at seperate stores and none of this shit is true.
>>
>>288427652
Most of these posts actually include stuff that happened to me every time I went there though
>>
>>288428524
I'm not saying shitty experiences won't happen, I'm just pointing out that his claims are false. We're not told to just add shit to the transaction, we're definitely not told to keep quiet about extra fees for other shit, we're not punished for taking returns, you can't have them hold a game for two days "just because", especially over and over like that, and the only game we've ever been told to throw away was Kinect Adventures, which we had a metric fuck ton of to begin with.
>>
>>288429375
Would you be willing to talk about some of your experiences?
>>
>>288422885

Former store manager but not op.

Yes. Yes it has. I can't hold interest in any game for more than a day.
>>
>>288422885
Former EBGames Canada Assistant Manager.

A little bit yes but it was like 5 years ago so now I'm back in the groove of liking gaming again
>>
>>288420712
Do you have Battletoads in stock?
>>
Why do you ask for my name, address and phone number when I return something?
>>
File: 1380810533383.gif (443 KB, 160x150) Image search: [Google]
1380810533383.gif
443 KB, 160x150
>used to work at gamestop
>right when the new consoles were going to come out
>one day we had to take some training on the computer about forza 5
>the training didn't really tell about the game, it was more just giving sales tips
>this was some of the cheesiest most salesmaney shit i've read in my life
>one of the tips was to tell people "forza 5 will be your ultimate driving fantasy"
>manager tells me that gamestop will occasionally send in fake customers to ask you questions and make sure you tell people this stupid shit
>mfw forza came out and "ultimate driving fantasy" was on the back of the case

fucking terrible company
>>
>>288430346
I work at a car parts shop and people throw bitch fits when i ask for name number and zipcode what's the big fucking deal??
>>
>>288422201
Did you or any other employees get to keep games that were destined to be thrown away?
>>
>>288431031
could you access the training from home?
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.