[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what is the reason for publishers to delay a PC release until
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8
So what is the reason for publishers to delay a PC release until after a console games?

Console gamer here, I'm just curious why they want to give PCfats the shaft.
>>
Impatient people will most likely then buy the console and the game on both systems.
>>
Sweet jesus she is perfection.

>>285854752
>I'm just curious why they want to give PCfats the shaft.
Marketing scheme. Makes the more impatient people buy twice buy getting console then purchasing on PC during a sale. They rationalize the purchases to feel better about themselves after.
>>
>>285854910
But what if they only own a PC?

Wouldn't that be like encouraging them to pirate, because giving them the finger with a delay would make them not want to buy that shit?
>>
I pirate most if not all PC games while I buy most if not all games for consoles and handhelds.

I'm sure as fuck not the only one who does this.
>>
>[something about "piracy"]
>>
>>285854752
Sometimes because the game needs last minute polish for PC, keyboard icons, mouse support in menus, that kind of quick to code stuff that the console versions don't need.
>>285854910
Sometimes this.
>>285855383
Absolutely.
>>
>>285854752
Piracy, casuals dont know how to pirate on consoles, they sell the game to them, then they release it on PC and sell some more
>>
PC versions is (almost always) the objectively superior version of the game. By releasing it later, they get the following benefits
1) people who want to play the game ASAP will buy the shitty console version and then rebuy the PC version when it comes out to get the best experience
2) by holding off on the PC version for as long as possible, they get more people to buy the console version instead of just pirating the pc version

It's bullshit but that's why they do it. of course, their excuse for why they need to delay the PC version is "because they need more time to polish it for PC release and enhance the blah blah blah"
>>
>>285855790
>PC versions is (almost always) the objectively superior version of the game
>MGSV TPP doesn't have a collectors edition for PC

I wonder if they know how many PC users would have pre-ordered that shit day 1. You can't pirate physical things.
>>
>Piracy
No, they only blame it on piracy if it fails to sell as much as they want.
>>
>>285854752
Literally pirates.
>>
>>285855616
>Sometimes because the game needs last minute polish for PC, keyboard icons, mouse support in menus, that kind of quick to code stuff that the console versions don't need.

I can totally understand this, but only to a degree. If they didn't have any time to do that stuff during the original developement, then that tells me the game was probably all kinds of rushed and possibly incomplete, even on consoles. And there's a limit to the grace period. It's understandable to delay the PC release by a month or two. But let's take a look at Grand Theft Auto NEVER EVER 5. A year and a half extra developement time? That's bullshit
>>
>>285855971
>collectorfags

don't you have an amiibo thread to shitpost in?
>>
console players are far less likely to pirate games. a pc first or simultaneous release will result in all the hype being wasted on people just pirating the game, saying "it's ok," and then never buying it.

it's a lot of winning for devs and publishers: put off the work of porting it to another platform until after it's been released and patched a couple times, capture more revenue, keep buzz going about it with players who can't play it, get DLC out to people who will actually pay for it.
>>
>>285856331
I just want a nice physical copy to go with all my other physical copies of the MGS series.

And I want that half scale robot arm to use as a headphone holder.
>>
>>285854752

Could be several things.

One of the most common issues for porting to PC is that it requires the game to run with a large variety of different settings for different hardware and drivers. Particularly for companies who don't usually make PC games, this process can be lengthy and the end result often shaky (example: the Dark Souls PC port).

Or they could be concerned about pirating and they're hoping that more people will buy the game if they have to wait a few weeks to get it on PC, where it will immediately become optionally free.
>>
>>285856045
so if they just put it out for platforms which are pirated waaaay less, and threw out a cheap pc port later to hoover up a few extra bucks from people who just want to show off their crazy PCs until it winds up in Steam sales, wouldn't they just make a lot more money?
>>
File: kick.png (12 KB, 418x274) Image search: [Google]
kick.png
12 KB, 418x274
>PCfats
the true nature and intent of the thread was revealed here.
>>
>>285854752
Look at games that are ported with delay.
There is weeb stuff like Valkyria Chronicles, but it's mostly because Japanese didn't realised how much can they jew off Steam(it's said that it sold 200k units on steam, let's say that the average price was $10 - I'm taking sales factor here - 30% goes to valve so it's $7 per unit, the game earned them $1,400k and it's port of 5 years old game that was probably outsourced to India and the whole thing costed like $100k at most) and some AAA.
What AAA?
GTA
MGS
Probably new Final Fantasy.

All of them are well known franchises with established fanbases.
Let's play a game.
Who cares about exclusives?
Who didn't bought consoles for multiplats?
Who's interested in keeping those people playing games on consoles?

When you answer these question it'll all be obvious for you.

Also double dipping but I personally feel that brainless idorts aren't that common.
>>
They mostly delay in the hopes of having more people pre order...

To be honest this only encourages me to pirate GTA5...Because i mean, they have release the game EVENTUALLY right?
>>
>>285854752
They want people to buy the game twice.
>>
>>285855417
This guy right here knows the score.
>>
>>285855383
I don't quite agree with this, if a nigga's gonna pirate some shit, he's just gonna do it- whether it's day one or months after the console release.
>>
Well, someone needs to do the beta testing, why not let the peasants do for the true gamers?
>>
>>285854752
They have to optimize for a wider variety of hardware configurations, and add the basic features and options pc gamers expect.

Even though it takes longer to develop pc versions, it is usually made up for with higher profit margins on digital sales. It makes more sense to me that they should release all versions at the same time, so that the highest profit version also rides the hype wave that our AAA industry seems to be entirely based around.
>>
Why does game x get released on one console before the other? Why does it get extra content on one console only? Sony and MS spend moneyto get these benefits for their console. None on the PC side has reason to do this, except maybe Steam/Valve.
>>
>>285854752
>So what is the reason for publishers to delay a PC release until after a console games?

UI and keybindings.
>>
>pirate PC games all day 'ere day
>Fund only indie games i like
>never buy a console because fuck that noise

gee i wonder why?
>>
>>285855616
If they need extra time to finish the PC version then the game in general should be delayed. If a dev wouldn't delay the Xbone version for "extra polish" and release the PS4 version first, then this shouldn't happen with the PC version either. All versions should be released at the same time and the only reason not to is because you know that by doing so people might buy the game twice. Except this backfires because people buy the console version and pirate the PC version, inflating piracy numbers on PC.
>>
File: nPs8L.jpg (41 KB, 500x371) Image search: [Google]
nPs8L.jpg
41 KB, 500x371
>>285854752
The same as console player had to wait for Wasteland 2, Witcher 2, Minecraft, Elite Dangerous...

Some game are ported later when they realize it's gonna make money
>>
>>285855971
>Buy the Xbone or PS4 version of collectors edition for the physical stuff, sell the game

>Buy the PC version for better graphics, resolution, framerate etc
>>
Developing for a console is relatively simple. You optimize specifically for the standardized hardware.

With PCs, you more have to optimize to the software sides of things, graphics APIs (DirectX, OpenGL, etc.), which handle the wide variety of hardware possible. This takes more time and more resources to do. On top of this, the upper levels of computational power on PCs is far superior to consoles, so if you're going to utilize that, you need time to make the game... well... better.
>>
>>285854752
Hello OP, I worked for a major publisher doing this and here are some basic explanation (not in order of importance):

- Piracy. It's nothing new, releasing a game on PC = lower sales and we know how many people were pirating our titles in average thanks to some tracking tools within the game. Metrics we had were a minimum since some people uses their firewall to prevent the game process to send/receive any data to our servers.

Granted many pirates would not have purchased the game anyway (I pirate games myself, even of the company I worked for...), but still.

- Momentum. By having two separate release dates, console and then PC, it enabled our Publishing Department (Marketing/Community & Social/PR and Sales) to have two different release campaigns and thus creating "buzz" twice, getting visibility twice etc. First with the console release (which was the most important), but then the PC release would boost our visibility overall, we would get picked up by Press again and so on. Even if the PC release came years after the console one. It was good boost for the brand.

- Costs. The more platforms, the more expensive development costs are. We often waited to see if the console release was doing well before even green lighting PC release. (That's for titles that weren't initially planned on PC obviously.) PC required more Customer Support on our end as well.

- Money. While not directly giving us money, consoles manufacturers do support console-only projects more. (And even more if it's an exclusive). Meaning lot of extra visibility on their Store, Website, Social Media, Events they organize for us and so on. It's free advertising for us, thus money saved. Meanwhile on PC it's often the opposite, WE payed Valve to ensure our products were the most visible, that we get all these sales properly promoted and so on...

(I could still go on, thanks character limit.)
>>
It's mostly about console-publisher deals where they pay them to keep the game console exclusive for 6 months.
>>
>>285854752
Olivia Munn
>>
>>285854752
>openly admitting you're a consolefag
>>
>>285854752

Steam mustards don't buy games at launch for $60 because 75% sales within a year are inevitable. They wait until they've made their money, then release on steamt. It also helps them gauge how many autists refuse to buy console verisons.
>>
What are PC sales like on multiplat games?

I'd like to see those "Nuhh PC haz pirates" fags blown the fuck out.
>>
>that upset mod deleting all the posts
Holy fucking shit
>>
>nigger mods deleting all the posts
first day on the job?
>>
>all posts deleted
wth why not just delete the thread
>>
>literally 90% of the thread deleted in an instant
>>
>>285854752
It's almost always cheaper on pc, they want that consoles bucks.
>>
Yeah mods can suck my fucking dick.
>>
>>285867941

>Some good info that seems legit
>No one asks for the faggot to post more

Continue on another post if you're still there, somehow.
>>
>mod being this insecure
What a lowtest fag lol
>>
>deleting 180 posts out of ~220
>deleting the OP image
>still not deleting the thread
For what purpose?
>>
JANNY CAN'T HANDLE THE SNU SNU
>>
Lol this mod is such a cuck.
>>
>>285854752
They want you to buy their game twice
>>
Wow, what a bunch of amateurs. I knew this site would go even further into the shit when moot left.
>>
Remember folks: he does it for free. On a Friday afternoon.
>>
File: ok99999.jpg (35 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
ok99999.jpg
35 KB, 500x333
>>285879449
post >yfw he does it for free
>>
File: Diablo3-FemaleBarbarian.jpg (221 KB, 1070x1500) Image search: [Google]
Diablo3-FemaleBarbarian.jpg
221 KB, 1070x1500
absolutely retarded.
he even deleted some of the vidya pics.
>>
File: 1424174161797-0.png (1 MB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
1424174161797-0.png
1 MB, 1280x1280
Looks like one of the new janitors is gonna get the boot awful quick
>>
just to be fair to the consoles :)
>>
>moot leaves
>mods start getting gayer
who would have guessed he actually kept shit in check.
>>
>>285879196
Who the hell would be dumb enough to do that?
>>
File: Nothing, I get paid nothing.png (200 KB, 720x352) Image search: [Google]
Nothing, I get paid nothing.png
200 KB, 720x352
>>285879671
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.