[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's settle this /v/. Which is better: Monster Hunter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 233
Thread images: 21
File: 1425276097654.jpg (400 KB, 1280x1440) Image search: [Google]
1425276097654.jpg
400 KB, 1280x1440
Let's settle this /v/.

Which is better: Monster Hunter or Dark Souls?
>>
>>285355691
Monster Hunter is good, Dark Souls is good.
>>
>>285355691
There's little to none similarities between them.
>>
You made this thread last night.
>>
Monster hunter for multiplayer. DaS for single player.
>>
>>285355923
This, not in styles, gameplay, art direction, difficulty level, story. There is no reason whatsoever to compare both games except maybe the boss-focused gameplay.
>>
>>285355691
i don't see resemblance. you are doing dodge rolls in heavy armor? you duel with monsters? you play in third person? they are "very hard"?
>>
>>285355691
Two different games, two different focuses.

I enjoy both.
>>
>>285355691
MH
>>
Which is better, a boat dock or an elephant?
>>
>>285355691
>Content
MonHun
>Difficulty
MonHun
>Online
MonHun
>Graphics
DaS
>Soundtrack
Neither
>Design
MonHun
>Overall
MonHun by a country fucking mile
>>
Dark Souls is generally harder and better designed than MonHun but MonHun has the grind lasting appeal.
>>
Not even similar games.
Fuck off
>>
>>285356197
Duh an elephant you nignog
>>
File: 1425251761479.png (36 KB, 353x297) Image search: [Google]
1425251761479.png
36 KB, 353x297
>>285356327
>Dark Souls is generally harder
Stopped reading there
>>
>>285356258
You forgot things like level design and atmosphere, where DaS kills it.

>Content
That really depends on what kind of content you're into.
>>
>>285356348
This. MonHun is a mindless fun MP game. Dark Souls is designed to challenge the player.
>>
>>285355691
I want Monster Hunter with Dark Souls' controls (optionally).
>>
>>285356096
The combat is similar enough that I've heard the comparison lots of times.
>>
>>285356258
>Content
Incomparable except the boss fights
>Difficulty
Standards have not been set for what is superior
>Online
Incomparable, two completely different concepts set out to accomplish two different things
>Graphics
DaS
>Soundtrack
DaS
>Design
Again, iffy. DaS is supposed to be dark and western, mon hun is bright and grand and weeb as fuck.
>Overall
WHY DO YOU KEEP TRYING TO MAKE ME CHOOSE I LOVE THEM BOTH
>>
>>285356684
>lock on, strafe, moving with raised shields
Ew
>>
>>285356684
it has been a while since i have played a game with controls as bad as in monster hunter. i don't even think there are people defending them, they just roll with it because how fun the multiplayer is.
>>
>>285356871
Well, lock-on's not really necessary and I don't use shields.

I just want all my attack buttons (and dodge) on the shoulders and an actual analog camera.

All of the control of the claw, none of the hand cramps and carpal tunnel.
>>
>>285357061
People will defend everything about Monster Hunter. It doesn't matter how dumb it is.
>>
I prefer monster hunter, but both are good.
>>
I like Monster Hunter much better.

I don't even care that consoles are getting Bloodborne, but it sucks that there's no Monster Hunter for PC.
>>
DMC shits on them both in difficulty and depth.

Git gud OP
>>
>>285356869
>>Online
>Incomparable, two completely different concepts set out to accomplish two different things

TOP KEK
>>
Dark Souls. MonHun's a very boring and repetitive grindfest. If all the missions besides the major monster fights were cut out maybe it would be more enjoyable.
>>
>>285357349
Can't wait for DMC5.

Yup.
>>
>>285357061
>MonHun controls
>bad
casual confirmed. You are too used to handholding kiddie shit like lock on and enemy health bars.
>>
>>285357447
nice post
>>
>>285357447
What do lock-on and health bars have to do with controls?
>>
>>285357349
>DMC
>more depth
>more difficulty
>than Monster Hunter
DMC has lock on, damage numbers, and health bars. It's casual as shit compared to MH.
>>
>>285357349
Are you actually retarded?
>>
>>285357713
I keep seeing people say that Monster Hunter is some incredibly hardcore game, but I'm not seeing it. I mean, I just picked up MH4, and I'm only to Harth, but so far the game doesn't seem that intense. The monsters have fairly predictable patterns and always telegraph their moves. Of course, I'm having a blast playing it, I just don't think of it as a particularly hard game. Is there some massive difficulty spike I need to prepare for?
>>
>>285355691
i like souls better
>>
>>285357713
>>285357960
I forgot to mention that this is my first Monster Hunter game, so I don't know if MH4 is regarded as a more casual entry in the series.
>>
>>285357960
No, people just like to exagerate the difficulty of games. Happens pretty much with everything.
>>
They're not even remotely the same game. Why do people insist on putting the two together?
>>
Time to school all the kiddies in this thread.

Monster Hunter is the single deepest, most challenging, most skill-based game ever created. There is not a single other game in any genre that comes close to the level of skill Monster Hunter requires.

This is why Monster Hunter threads are the best, most intelligent threads on /v/. Only the smartest, brightest, and most patient people post in them. Essentially, the very best of humanity posts in them.

Conversely, the only people who don't like Monster Hunter clearly don't have the skills to handle its depth. It is too hardcore for them. That's okay though. Games like Halo exist for people like them. Monster Hunter fans are too good to hold grudges.
>>
>>285357960
G-Rank.

>>285358094
MH4U is THE easiest MH game to get into, all previous games have had horrid beginner starts and learning curves due to lackof guides or in-game info. That HELP button on everything really helps on explaining a lot.
>>
>>285357960
>I'm only to Harth...
You effectively haven't left tutorial difficulty. You aren't even close.
>>
>>285357960
Well, that guy's joking. I think.

There's no massive difficulty spike, it's just got a fairly linear difficulty curve and it's a really long game. So eventually it becomes pretty challenging, but you'll notice that everyone is always talking about clear times and not just beating stuff. If you use all the tools given to you, it's not really a hard game.

>>285358131
Doesn't happen with Souls. Soulsfags are always talking about how easy their games are and how they aren't actually hard.
>>
>>285358282
Honestly, as someone completely new to the series, the HELP option hasn't been super great. It's been one of the more cryptic games (at least compared to most modern titles), but I appreciate that. I missed having to figure stuff out.

>>285358298
I'm all about the game getting harder. Just finished beating the Tetsucabra like six goddamn times to complete the armor set.
>>
>>285358368
That's because it's a reaction to everyone else hyping the difficulty up.
>>
>>285358708
MHfags have been hyping up the difficulty of MH forever and there's no pendulum swing there. Yet.

Seriously though Freedom Unite was like ten years ago, people need to get over it and themselves.
>>
>>285358368
>Soulsfags are always talking about how easy their games are and how they aren't actually hard

As someone who only played Dark Souls once through and is working on his second run through DaS2, the real difficulty of the games comes from learning their quirks.
>>
>>285358685
There's no point to grinding out sets in low rank.

And yes, even with all the help options in MonHun, the game is still utter shit at teaching you anything at all.

It isn't even a game you can "figure stuff out." You categorically can't figure out half of what you need to know to play the game JUST from the game. You have to hang around these threads. For instance, elemental damage is not stacked on top of normal damage. It will only trigger if you hit the monster a lot and the monster is weak to that element, and is thus almost useless on weapons that don't hit lots of times quickly.
>>
All I remember about Tri was that lances were easy-mode
>>
>>285359029
>elemental damage is not stacked on top of normal damage. It will only trigger if you hit the monster a lot and the monster is weak to that element
Wait, what.
>>
MonHun gets older quicker and doesn't add as much between versions so Souls wins.

If you wanted difficulty you should be playing multiplayer games rather than scripted bosses you friendless faggots. C U @ EVO
>>
>>285359029
>There's no point to grinding out sets in low rank.

I honestly just thought it looked really cool so I went for it.

I've noticed that. There's been a few things that I've googled just because I had no idea how certain mechanics worked. Thanks for the heads up, though. I won't waste time applying elemental damage to my hammer, then.
>>
>>285356258
>Monster hunter ost
>not good
Darksouls has a nice one too for that matter. Both fit the tone of their series well.
>>
File: 1376183515027.jpg (50 KB, 456x748) Image search: [Google]
1376183515027.jpg
50 KB, 456x748
>th-they're not comparable!
>plz dont fight ;_;

Dark Souls is better.
>>
File: B3APbfhCIAEbJfh.jpg (34 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
B3APbfhCIAEbJfh.jpg
34 KB, 600x338
>>285355691
?
>>
Didn't we have this thread today twice already? I mean at least wait a day or two to repost a thread.
>>
>>285359259
It's not JUST that. There's a retarded amount of really unintuitive stuff that the game doesn't even pretend to TRY to teach you and MH threads will yell at you and call you a shitter if you don't internalize this shit.

>>285359240
I don't get it either.
>>
Monster Hunter is great but I'd probably still prefer Dark Souls as an overall game.

>lore
>atmosphere
>characters
>more variety of normal enemies
>level design
>more weapon classes and possible builds
>pvp

I'd say Monster Hunter has better co-op boss battles though as the bosses scale better. Dark Souls bosses on co-op are really easy.

Both 10/10's for me.
>>
File: 1423738375706.gif (2 MB, 403x234) Image search: [Google]
1423738375706.gif
2 MB, 403x234
>>285355691
I hated dark souls for the first 2 hours. I then grew to love it and have over 200hours in it. I use it as a benchmark to judge many other games with.

I loved Monster Hunter for the first 2 hours. I grew to hate it. I use it as a reminder that some people on /v/ can sometimes love shitty games.

What a ride
>>
>>285355691
Despite what people say, they're not similar enough to compare.
If they were, I would say Dark Souls is probably a better single player experience while Monster Hunter is unarguably a better multiplayer experience.
>>
>>285355691
Love both Souls and MH series's to death. The souls games are much more polished sans DkS2 but MH offers more "content." MH has a few problems that it has carried over for several games but at the end of the day it delivers on the awesome feeling that comes with killing giant monsters with giant weapons. The souls games are all great and each offering a different experience, with DeS having some of my favorite bosses of all time. Both are great in their own right and both are worthy of recommendation. But both have the absolute worse fucking fanbases and trying to seriously discuss them on /v/ is like pulling teeth. I don't even know why I try.
>>
>>285359554
I'm sure there is. I mean, whatever. I don't really care if some /v/irgin calls me a shitter at MH. I openly admit to being new to the series and I'm having a hell of a time with it despite knowing very little about it on a mechanical level.
>>
>>285359259
I'm pretty sure that elemental damage thing isn't true.

Source (I guess):
http://gaijinhunter.tumblr.com/post/73946102476/mh4-how-damage-calculation-works-simplified

tl;dr: Elemental damage is added onto your swings. The reason elemental damage sucks for slow weapons is because elemental damage sucks. It doesn't get modifiers off what move you're using or the weapon you're using, it's just a small static amount appeneded to every hit. That's why weapons that hit more times benefit more.
>>
>>285359029
You can figure out monster elements naturally though by looking at their armor, whatever it's good against or bad against is a good indicator.
>>
MH has too much copy paste and repetition and grind for me. It feels like a skinner box rather than an actual game.
>>
File: 1399015177165.png (155 KB, 485x540) Image search: [Google]
1399015177165.png
155 KB, 485x540
>t-there's no similarities, they're n-not comparable!

All games are comparable when you're referring to sheer quality, and Monster Hunter wins effortlessly.
>>
>>285359726
>But both have the absolute worse fucking fanbases and trying to seriously discuss them on /v/ is like pulling teeth
Truer words have never been spoken.
>>
Trick question, which /vg/ general of either games is better?

Moneys on /mhg/
>>
>>285359795
I had it wrong then.
>>
>>285359956
>when you're referring to sheer quality, and Monster Hunter wins effortlessly.
This is b8.
>>
>>285359956
>and Monster Hunter wins effortlessly

Based on what? You can't just say a game is better without, you know, offering up some proof? Or at least some opinions about WHY it's better.
>>
>>285360051
To be fair, that does still go back to the central point of the game doesn't explain these mechanics to you at all.

The damage formula is obtuse as all hell, the damage numbers between weapons aren't directly comparable, and probably the most important feature in the entire game which is locational damage doesn't seem to get an in-game mention.
>>
>>285360165
>hitboxes
>animations
>map and enemy design
>has WORKING binoculars (DS doesn't zoom in)
>>
>>285360218
Do the damage numbers in the weapons stats refer to DPS, Damage per hit, or some other obtuse formula result?
>>
I like both, but personally enjoy DaS more. Not that it's really a worthy comparison. It'd be like saying I enjoyed warcraft 3 more than vice city so warcraft 3 is better. People like different genres so different people will find one better over the other
>>
>>285356327
>Dark Souls is generally harder
Dark Souls is easy as fuck. The AI is fucking garbage so as long as you abuse it you can easily beat any enemy. Use any kind of long weapon and you break the game because the enemy has no way to counter that. It's only hard early on because you start with a garbage weapon.
>>
File: 1_(3).png (285 KB, 1079x579) Image search: [Google]
1_(3).png
285 KB, 1079x579
They are similar in some ways and tremendously different in others. Monster Hunter, Dark Souls, and DMC are all my favorite series of all time.

I prefer Dark Souls, but the preference between the two is ENTIRELY subjective and anyone who says otherwise is an idiot. They both have different strengths/weaknesses, and they are both amazing game series. Anything else is fanboyism and shitposting.
>>
>>285356859
You are incorrect, while they may both have empathizes on dodging and carefully managing your attacks
>>
File: 579336.jpg (103 KB, 447x400) Image search: [Google]
579336.jpg
103 KB, 447x400
>>285360283
>(DS doesn't zoom in)
>>
>>285360454
>this game is easy when you cheese it
Ya don't say!
>>
>>285360363
It refers to raw damage, the number the game uses to calculate damage before adding in a half dozen other factors.

Which is kind of stupid because one of the factors in calculating weapons is the weapon type: the number you see gets divided by another number depending on what weapon it is.

So it's a completely obtuse clusterfuck and you will have no idea if a GS with 1000 Atk is better than a Hammer with 1000 Atk unless you look it up.

To be fair to the game, it doesn't really matter how it works, because you hit things and they do after a while and that's all you really need to know.
>>
>>285355691
Both are different games with kinda similar mechanics here and there so you really shouldn't be comparing those games.
>>
>>285356859
the only time dark souls felt like monster hunter was fighting sif
>>
>>285358195
I don't know why I didn't save this copypasta sooner
>>
>>285360538
No fucking shit it's subjective. That shouldn't stop anyone from comparing them and discussing why they prefer one over another. Saying "their 2 different to compare" doesn't add anything to the discussion.
>>
>>285360883
I remember when they wrote that copypasta about Dark Souls.

Oh how things have changed.
>>
I have never lost faith in a series harder than I did with Dark Souls 2.

Dark Souls 2, similar to the Star Wars Prequels was so bad that it actually dampened my appreciation for what came before it.

Looking back on it, I actually can't remember why I even liked Dark Souls after the atrocity that is Dark Souls 2.

Monster Hunter is better by fucking miles, because you don't get a soul crushing sequel developed by a B-Team that is a Frankenstein monster of what was good about the previous game.

Fuck everything.
>>
>>285359625
I had no interest in dark souls until I went over to a friends and saw him going full ethiopian mode running around and killing things with a big weapon without any armor on
>>
>>285360848
But the game still withholds highly important information with that damage formula. It's impossible for a hammer player to know that a straight up X combo is better damage than an L3 Charge without looking it up, and you more or less have to be told what the best combo is for every other weapon.

It took them four games to offer a "sheathe the weapon when not in use" guide for the GS which is just the most basic shit but is in and of itself not something you think of immediately. Because why should THAT make a difference in your combat ability.

Oh right because it's MonHun
>>
>>285361101
Just play Dark Souls again. It's still good.
>>
>>285360763
>implying you have to cheese anything
If the game didn't want you to use long weapons then it shouldn't have added them. It's a legitimate choice.
>>
>>285360906
have you seen the rest of the thread jackass? 80% of this thread is

>muh low rank! muh controls! muh camera!
>muh i-frames! muh lock-on! muh ng+

>monster hunter is literally ONE HUNDRED PERCENT GRINDING
>souls is literally ONE HUNDRED PERCENT EXPLOITS
>>
All I know about monster hunter is that it's boring as fuck and the gameplay is grind-to-grind.
That's why Japanese people like it.
Also any criticism is met with:
>you suck at it
At least souls has actual content that makes me feel like I accomplished something.
>>
Dark Souls by a mile.
>>
>>285355691
You made this exact same thread yesterday. Image and everything.
>>
>>285361415
And you're adding what, exactly? You didn't even bother explaining why the games aren't comparable, for fuck's sake.
>>
>>285361208
While I think the game sucks at telling you useful, relevant, or even necessary information GIVE ME THE FUCKING WEAPON TREES IN ADVANCE YOU CUNTS, I don't really think the damage values are all that important just because it's pretty easy to work out what to do after a while. You find the optimal combo because you try everything a bunch and something kills the monster faster. It's such a simple game that it doesn't need to involve you in the math holding everything together.

That being said, they SHOULD tell you that information optionally instead of wasting your time with pointless and shitty hour long tutorials about bullshit that doesn't matter.

I agree to the overall point that the game does a poor job of conveying information and that the crap in the wiki should just be in the game. Key quests should be marked as key. You should be able to see what every skill does without having to go into the "forge decorations" menu. It'd be nice if there was a journal you could fill in with material locations. It'd be nice if you could see what you can craft from an item so you know how necessary/rare it is.
>>
>>285355691
Dark Souls II or Lords of the Fallen?
>>
>>285361354
You seem to be implying certain weapons don't make MonHun easier my little nigga!

But DaS is to the extreme to how easy you can cheese it with magic and shit I'll give you that.
>>
>>285356871

>lock on, strafe, moving with raised shields

SOMEONE DOESN'T PLAY LANCE
>>
>>285361760
>implying parrying and evading is the same as straffing and holding your sheild up
>>
>>285361695
It's not cheesing to use options the game provided in ways they were intended to be used. It's not my fault the dark souls AI is retarded and cant handle attacks outside of a small range.
>>
>>285360206
Based on being a more well-designed game. DaS is for edgy teenage faggots who think they can win their "dank hardcore cred" from clunky combat in ugly-as-sin environments. BUT MUH ATMOSPHERE!
>>
>>285361887
It has nothing to do with intended or unintended. Cheesing is going for low effort, low skill strategies. That often involves exploits but it doesn't have to.
>>
>>285361608
>You should be able to see what every skill does without having to go into the "forge decorations" menu.
You can actually see what skills do in the decorations menu? I thought it was the opposite. You could see all the numbers but not what skills ACTUALLY DO.

Speaking of which, Sharpness's damage boost is never explained in the game.

> You find the optimal combo because you try everything a bunch and something kills the monster faster.
No. Boss fights run too long to be counting relative times against your strategy when you could be getting instant results from damage numbers or something else. I refuse to accept that as an effective teaching method.

>It's such a simple game that it doesn't need to involve you in the math holding everything together.
It's true but at the same time there is no real mechanism for you to git gud at the game just from the game.
>>
>>285355691
I remember when I thought Lost Planet was eventually going to become Monster Hunter with guns.

Those were the days.
>>
>>285361845

it's the same shit and I've mained lance since the PS2 game, stop being retarded
>>
>>285362130
LP2 was proof MH with guns is going to be terrible no matter what.
>>
>>285361543
every thread on the front page right now is literally a general that's been remade every day
it's stupid.
>>
>>285362210
strafing is just moving left and right as opposed to evading which gives you Iframes for actually timing it correctly
parrying requires a bit of though into it to since a lot of stuff will require to think about what you are about to get hit by since there is a good chance it will fuck up your animation and cause it to do nothing but reduce your stamina
>>
>>285362130
>>285362303
whats the best LP game?
>>
>>285355691
MH.
>>
>>285362520
LP1 Colonies Edition if you skip the awful levels and just play boss rush.
>>
File: pimp knight.jpg (397 KB, 593x564) Image search: [Google]
pimp knight.jpg
397 KB, 593x564
>>285361559
Fair enough. Lets compare them:

Dark Souls:
>level/dungeon based gameplay
>semi-open world exploration
>many different weapon types
>large focus on bosses
>bosses are great, some amazing, some very meh
>huge armor variety
>gameplay built for bosses as well as human sized enemies
>inventive co-op and pvp multiplayer
>top tier atmosphere and lore
>good combat with a lot of variety
>very immersive and memorable
>ZERO required grinding at any time

Monster Hunter
>different maps/arenas for fighting monsters in, these maps are good but not incredibly inventive. Improved vastly in 4, verticality adds a lot of interesting approaches
>zero exploration (just not the focus of the game)
>many different weapon types
>one hundred percent focus on bosses
>bosses are fantastic, very few mediocre bosses, dozens of stellar fights
>huge armor variety
>gameplay built around fighting massive monsters
>more basic/traditional co-op approach, this is not a bad thing as it works great and suits the formula perfectly. Very fun.
>almost zero atmosphere/lore. This is simply not something the series is concerned with.
>good combat, probably deeper than souls although the approach is different, especially in weapon types.
>grinding is required. It is fun to grind thanks to the combat, but having to farm for plates/rubies/nyctgems and praying to RNGesus is BULLSHIT. Should have a system where completing a highly difficult quest can assure a certain reward.
>>
>>285362746
there is a system that can assure you those low % drop items in MH you know
>>
>>285362746

Stop lying you faggot
>>
>>285362746
Except for all the stupid gathering quests and kill 20 retards and a completely totally unnecessary fishing minigame.

>bosses are fantastic, very few mediocre bosses, dozens of stellar fights
I'm halfway through MH4U high rank and the fights are on average worse than the average Bayonetta/DMC boss and worse than EVERY Ys boss beyond Ys 1 and 2. There are some real boring stinkers here. Some quite good ones too.
>>
>>285362068
> from clunky combat in ugly-as-sin environments
you act like these exact things don't apply to Monster Hunter. Also, MH isn't edgy, but it's certainly for people who want their dank hardcore cred for beating G rank versions of the same monsters you already fought 40 times that just have beefed up damage and health, and perform their actions faster while you still have the same clunky attacks and movement.

If anything, MH is the clunkier game for not having proper lock-on despite most of the games being on single-stick platforms with bad camera controls.
>>285362112
You'd have to be retarded to not understand that a higher weapon sharpness means more damage

but you're right, it's retarded that skills aren't explained in game at all.
>>
>>285362746
>grinding is required
To get the best equipment yes, to beat all the monsters in the game it isn't.
>>
>>285363340
>You'd have to be retarded to not understand that a higher weapon sharpness means more damage
Not really. It's explained specifically only as bouncing, and the magnitude is never explained either.
>>
>>285363353
Unless you're fighting a new major monster, you're grinding. The vast majority of the missions are just dumb grinding.
>>
>>285355691
>Let's post this thread again /v/.
>>
MonHun is harder, is deeper, and has more content. In the end that trumps my enjoyment of DaS's environment exploration.

MH>DaS
>>
>>285363576
>MonHun is harder, is deeper
This is wrong.
>>
>>285355691
dark souls, why is this even a question?
>>
>>285355691
Monster Hunter doesn't have slogging through trash mobs to get to the bosses.

I also has way more bosses, even not counting the recolours/variants.

Monster Hunter every time.
>>
>>285363282
>I'm halfway through MH4U high rank and the fights are on average worse than the average Bayonetta/DMC boss

Oh yeah, halfway through HR. I believe you.
>>
File: kut-ku and his kon-chu.png (163 KB, 620x541) Image search: [Google]
kut-ku and his kon-chu.png
163 KB, 620x541
>>285363282
>>285363002
the game is entirely focused on bosses. There are BARELY any key quests around gathering and that dumb shit. That being said, I cannot believe I forgot to mention gathering bugs/mining for monster parts. Worst than the rarest part imaginable.

There are some bad monsters but most are pretty fucking good. I definitely love more than I hate.

>>285362986
HOW
>>
Nothing beats MH local coop with 3 bros.
>>
>>285363509
what is dark souls new game+ modes if not grinding?
>>
>>285363634
Come on, anon, it's common knowledge.
>>
>>285363795
If you think I am a liar, that I would come in and lie about a very specific thing about a game for no purpose, then, please, state so clearly. It is a strong allegation, not worthy of snide pissant passive aggressive bullshit. And then provide evidence. Or else, fuck off.
>>
>>285363282
You can't really compare Bayonetta/DMC enemies to MonHun enemies. Bayonetter and DMC are designed to be top shelf, masterful combat experiences. MonHun is more about quantity and variety than the depth of Bayonetta and DMC. If the latter had 70 bosses they would all surely sink down to the level of MH bosses.
>>
>>285363943
not grinding but just a second playthrough. It is POST-GAME.
>>
>>285364046
Anon, I think you're a troll or a liar. No one's retarded enough to think DMC/Bayonneta bosses are the best part of their own games, let alone better than any large MH monster.
>>
>>285355691
Both games are great, and both games are far easier than people make them out to be. Boss fights are pretty similar in that they are both pattern based. As long as you are willing to experiment and have some level of patience the games aren't really that hard. They are some of the few games these days that have some level of quality. What it really boils down to is whether you prefer pvp to co-op.
>>
>>285362746
>>ZERO required grinding at any time
there is if you wanna get that balder side sword mate
>>
>>285355691
Well, considering that Monster Hunter is good combat... and nothing more except more grinding for combat. And Dark Souls is good combat, grinding, good adventure, good exploration and deep lore... I'm gonna go with Dark Souls.
>>
>>285363943
Something you can do if you want after you finish the game. The fun fights in MonHun are locked away behind a wall of boring, mind numbing quests, on the other hand. Feels like I'm trying to earn my fun and challenge by doing some bullshit menial tasks.
>>
>>285364479
>deep lore

lel
>>
>>285364279
And you would be wrong. Because I would say that most DMC bosses are better than a not small percentage of MH bosses and DMC3 bosses are far superior to the basic combat of that game.

To be fair, though, I just remembered Bayonetta 1's egregious bosses apart from Jeanne and Dear Old Dad, so I will amend that statement to clarify I meant Bayonetta 2's bosses.
>>
>>285364365
Which doesn't take a fraction as long as farming for a plate/gem in monhun and is not at all required. There are also tons of modifiers to increase your chance. Farming NPC drops in dark souls two is utter bullshit though. Even that is only for fashion.
>>
>>285356258
>Content: MonHun
Oh you mean fighting rehashed recolors and repetitive grinding? Like an MMO? Good point, anon, good point.
>>
>>285364528
>being a faggot

Dark Souls lore is deep, and Monhun does not have lore. I love both equally but Dark Souls beats monhun 1000 fold on lore.
>>
>>285364667
Name four rehashed monsters in the same game.
>>
>>285364498
You can literally fight nothing but permutations of boss monsters after three or so tutorial quests. Stop lying.
>>
Are we comparing latest games? Then MonHun by a mile
>>
>>285364578
Loyce Souls
>>
>>285364742
Not in Freedom Unite you can't. You have to do most of the shitty fucking quests to unlock the star battles
>>
File: photo (1).jpg (358 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
photo (1).jpg
358 KB, 960x720
>>285364817
I never played the ivory king. Dark Souls 2 is definitely worst than monhun 4 though, undeniably.
>>
>>285364479
>good combat

Let me tell you how to defeat every single oversized enemy in a souls game

First, you stand as close as possible to there feet and hack away as they can't do anything.

Second when they start the super obese windup for there aoe attack you run.

Rinse repeat.
>>
>>285360853
This is a terrible mentality. It can go a long ways in seeing what works and what doesn't. A game with minimalistic gameplay (ie just fighting all day with nothing else) like monster hunter could use some help from other games to get some better gameplay going on.
>>
>>285363634
>has hitzone modifiers
>all attacks have damage modifiers
>elemental weaknesses

>>285363827
Tickets you can trade to the Wyverian.
>>
>>285364739
Rathian, Rathalos, Pink Rathian, Azure Rathalos, Gold Rathian, Silver Rathalos.
>>
>>285364574
Your opinion is summarily disregarded. You don't appreciate challenging, tense, long boss battles, you prefer flashy, gimmicky boss battles.
>>
MH is a better online experience. DS is a better offline experience.
>>
>>285364739
I'm not even him and I'll do that. Rathalos, Rathian, Gravios, Cephadrome, Monoblos. All the exact same fucking dragon with one new attack each.

>>285364742
Only MH4U gets you in the game THAT fast. Even MH3 makes you wade through sewage for ages.
>>
>>285365025
oh well shit
>>
>>285364479
>good combat

faggot
>>
>>285364667
Fuck off, MH4U has 75 large monsters. Even if half were rehashes (hint, they arent) it would still be more than souls. I prefer Souls and you are a huge faggot.
>>
>>285365002
Pretty much. MH4U was actually an improvement.

There are some questionable things, like the lack of in-hunt chat, but overall, it's pretty fucking good, and I say that as someone deeply cynical about Capcom's CoD.
>>
>>285364901
Play Portable 3rd, 3U or 4U you faggot.
>>
>>285359726
Well the reason they have horrible fanbases is the kind of game player that's unfortunately attracted by "try-hard" games.

You get these inferiority complex types that always wanna argue about what's better and why x game is so fucking perfect all the time. It's horrible simply because when you require elite dedication to play you get elitist.
>>
>>285365036
I agree. Contra and Metal Slug have terrible boss fights. As do Castlevania games. MMOs are the only true genre that do boss fights right.
>>
>>285365015
Elaborate? I need a fucking gore nyctgem and I have never heard of this.
>>
>>285363509

>Unless you're fighting a new major monster, you're grinding.

A gross simplification of what "grinding" means. There are a lot of ways to keep fighting old monsters without making it a grind. The game has several tiers of difficulty, as well as hard variants like recolors, multi-monster quests, hunt-a-thons, and now outbreak and apex monsters to mix things up. And any time the game still feels too grindy you can just change your loadout or call in your real life friends to help out and boom, the tone of the fight has changed.

I don't know how people can complain about grinding in monster hunter. Any time what your doing feels like grinding, just do something else for a while. There is too much to do in this game for you to want to play a million low rank hunts to get like, a rath plate.
>>
>>285365249
There's a better topic of discussion, which is the shittier fanbase?

I say MHfags are worse.
>>
>>285365221
MH4Us added vertacility and general streamlining have made the game better than ever. Mounting, new weapon types, and smoother combat make the whole game so much more fun.
>>
>>285355691
I haven't played Monster Hunter, but I have played DS and Monster Hunter definitely looks more fun. DS is hard and all, but it's really not that fun. Like, how the fuck was I supposed to figure out that I was supposed to climb up the ladder on the tower that was behind me and then jump down? How was I supposed to figure out how invasions worked? That stuff is difficult, but it's only difficult because they purposefully left out information that you need to know.
>>
>>285365105
It takes an hour at most.
>>
>>285365315
http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/item/veggie-elder

You get tickets from playing multiplayer and having high UNITY if I recall correctly.

These can be traded to the veggie elder wyverian, depending on the map and ticket he'll give you an item.

A golden ticket will do,in Primal Forest, keep in mind tickets are kinda rare because they're effectively playtime = REWARD.
>>
>>285365402
Know what the best improvement was?

Getting rid of underwater combat. All of a sudden, the game is completely playable on 3DS.

I feel like mounting should've been a lot cooler than it is though.
>>
>>285365380
as an MHfag I'd certainly agree. DaS stuff has a shitload of "le git gud" but every single MH thread everybody is just always saying

>HAHAHA CARTING ON AN ACTUAL BOSS
>I DIDNT CART ONCE UNTIL G-RANK

>ELDER GOD TIER
>MY WEAPON

>UTTER SHIT TIER
>YOUR WEAPON

>USING (insert personal preference) DOT JAYPEG
>>
>>285365380
DaSfags are WAAAAY worse. They feel the need to shove their dicks into everything and can't stand the implication that there are harder, deeper games out there. I mean, look at Bloodborne discussion. Then look a 4U discussion. Night and day, nigger.
>>
>>285365380

I know this is bait because I've seen Bloodborne threads.
>>
>>285365603
One hundred percent agree on the water. Every time I had to do that shit in 3U i wanted to stop playing. I wish Royal Ludroth and Lagi stayed in as land monsters though, I love those niggas.
>>
>>285365351
I really just play Monster Hunter because I like getting better gear and character progression makes me feel like I'm being productive in the dead-end slump that is my life.

So when the thing standing between me and my better gear is a 2% drop rate gem that I've been trying to get for hours, yeah it feels like a pointless grind without a clear end in sight, but if I wasn't in it for the gear I wouldn't be playing the game.
>>
>>285365674
4U is out, Bloodborne isn't. Plus it's not fair to compare, Bloodborne isn't representative of the discussions for the rest of the series because of all the anal pain surrounding it.
>>
>>285365674
>>285365753
>using bloodborne as reference
>implying any of the sonyggers or pcfats in those shitty threads actually care about bloodborne

I think and hope discussion will dramatically improve post-launch. THose are regularly the worst threads ever.
>>
I'm going to assume OP is talking about the first Dark Souls and second gen monster hunter since third gen and fourth gen kind of suck just like dark souls 2 kind of sucks. [Spoiler}Prove me wrong[/Spoiler]

DS wins out on visual aesthetic, the lack of instancing(in comparison to MH) lends to that for me personally.

DS wins on controls/game feel, MH's controls are a lot like earlier fromsoft installments (Evergrace, ect) as in everything is a little bit slow and clunky. This works in MH's favor regarding boss battles since it teaches you to be calculating with your movement rather than treating the game like a dynasty warriors game. In MH, weapons have WEIGHT. Which brings me to MH's boss battles, which are amazing compared to the DKS bosses. In MH, bosses are usually bigger than you, can move around wherever the fuck they want and can be more of a bitch to take down than ceaseless discharge in a way that isn't artificially difficult.

DKS wins on story, has an interesting approach on narrative for a jrpg.

tl;dr play MH for the boss fights.
>>
That's a retarded comparison, they're not even the same type of game. Who would even argue ab

>171 replied

/v/ you're so fucking stupid.
>>
>>285365380
Not since dudebros staeted attatching themselves to DaS.
>>
>>285365807
I miss all the niggas from 3U.

The new monsters are kind of bad, and while I never played 2nd gen, the 2nd gen monsters are just the worst.

Tigrex in particular, holy shit. That was staggeringly awful.
>>
>>285365282
Nice generalization fag. DMC and DMC-likes have and always will be shit at bosses. They're always a letdown from the regular enemies with few exceptions.
>>
>>285365753
Bloodborne isn't a Souls game. :^)
>>
I enjoy both
>MH when outside
>DS when In my house

is pretty fucking comfy.
>>
>>285366008
did you play any of the DMC's
you know what dont answer
i know you are just gonna lie about it anyway
>>
Monster Hunter has cool monsters but the hunts are not that exciting, it's really fucking grindy, and it has meh aesthetics outside of the monsters themselves.

Dark Souls used combat like MH, but otherwise is nothing like it. And Lordran is a fucking awesome world to behold. Dark Souls is much more about exploration and lore than anything else.
>>
File: 1424812103072.png (175 KB, 319x310) Image search: [Google]
1424812103072.png
175 KB, 319x310
I enjoy monhun but it's a tremendously overrated franchise. The start of the game always gives you tedious MMORPG like collectathon quests and kill X number of monsters. The armor and weapon design is completely atrocious. Non boss monsters are a triviality just to pose an annoyance when you're distracted by a boss. Most of the metagame is farming for rare materials over and over again etc...

Not to mention the franchise has been around forever and it's failed to evolve significantly since it's inception. It started out as a PS2 game and since then it's continued to look like a PS2 game. The maps are still divided into tiny instances in spite of this. Most of the assets, as in everything from textures, to models, to animations, to maps are borrowed from generation to generation with hardly anything done to accommodate better hardware, and somehow Capcom manages to always without fail pick the worst possible platforms for controls ever since they left the PS2. In spite of most of the assets being copied wholesale for generations, most of the metagame is just reskinned versions of monsters you already fought in low rank with some changes to them.

I mean I can enjoy Monster Hunter for what it is, but holy crap the fanbase is an obnoxious lot that think this game is god's gift to man. If Monhun fans had even the slightest amount of dignity then people would actually demand some sort of improvement over like a decade of reiteration after reiteration.
>>
>>285365894
>I'm going to assume OP is talking about the first Dark Souls and second gen monster hunter since third gen and fourth gen kind of suck just like dark souls 2 kind of sucks. [Spoiler}Prove me wrong[/Spoiler]
Hitboxes, you dumb nigger.
>>
>>285357960
>I'm only to Harth
That's why. You are playing easy monster on Low Rank. After you beat Low Rank you go to High Rank, which has harder monsters and difficulty. Finally you get to G-rank, which I've never even gotten to. It's easy to fight the Great Jaggi and say "Wow such easy, so casual.". MH is no joke.
>>
File: 1416726025232.gif (909 KB, 400x361) Image search: [Google]
1416726025232.gif
909 KB, 400x361
Dark Souls, because you're on an adventure than a fetch quest to upgrade just so you can even stand a chance.

I do think MH has some neat looking beast, but Armor/Weapon Farmin/Crafting just... isn't my ideal "progression" in a game. I want to overcome a challenge and be rewarded with more metroid-like world to explore.
>>
>>285366008
This is a stupid post.

You're stupid for posting it.

Stop being so stupid, stupid.
>>
>>285366008
>DMC and DMC-likes have and always will be shit at bosses.
>the roid rage faggot from NG1
>Armstrong
>Vergil 3
>Jeanne before the final QTE spamfest fight
>Nelo Angelo
>Azel
>Sensei
Considering how shit DMC3's regular enemies are I think you have problems.
>>
>>285366249
I admit I am impressed by how much better Toukiden is just because it apes MH without having to take every single one of MH's stupid flaws as its own.

If they could add in autismal MH4U levels of content they could be winning.
>>
i must say, mh has son fucking ridiculous weapon designs

>greatswords

haven's seen bigger shits since cloud's buster sword.
>>
>>285366342
>God Hand is a DMC-like
Fuck off
>>
>>285365351
>I don't know how people can complain about grinding in monster hunter.

I think random drops should be removed from all games. They aren't a challenge or an accomplishment and just add needless play time. I feel this is especially true in a game like Monster Hunter where the combat rewards you for precision. I don't want the reward to be a dice roll any more than I would want hitting the monster to be a dice roll.
>>
File: Vergil.png (3 MB, 2616x3073) Image search: [Google]
Vergil.png
3 MB, 2616x3073
>>285366008
SCUM
>>
File: butthurt terminal case.jpg (111 KB, 1024x620) Image search: [Google]
butthurt terminal case.jpg
111 KB, 1024x620
>>285366532
>>
>>285365651
And then MH threads also have the
>GIT GUD
shit.

I think the kicker for me is that Soulsfags know that the games have flaws. Well, maybe not DeSfags but those guys are probably just console warriors. People bitch about Lost Izalith being an unfinished mess and how Dark Souls 2 did everything wrong.

With MHfags, the defense over stupid things in the game is insufferable. People will get defensive over every retarded aspect of the game, like the holdouts who still proclaim that clawing is the most hardcore thing ever, people who bitch about target-cam, even people who defend the inexplicable lack of in-hunt chat in 4U. I remember a thread where someone was being a condescending prick about host migration. For fuck's sake.
>>
>>285366624
He's literally the only good boss in DMC3.
>>
>>285365403
> Like, how the fuck was I supposed to figure out that I was supposed to climb up the ladder on the tower that was behind me and then jump down?
Maybe by using your brain? You are already taught plunging attacks at the asylum demon, utilizing this here would've only made the fight easier, but fighting Taurus on the bridge is not unmanageable.
>>
>>285366634
The game's design is far better than anything DMC has to offer beyond the combat system and it's just a fucking beat em up with an unusual camera angle. Don't compare it to DMC just because it was made by Clover.
>>
>>285365651
>>285366660
probably because both games come down to you not being bad at the game
seriously there isnt any tips or tricks for these games its just dont get hit and know when to strike
you dying is strictly your fault
>>
>>285366478
>I admit I am impressed by how much better Toukiden is

Stopped reading, get some taste nigger.
>>
>>285366505
It's great.

Alatreon's greatsword is one of my favorites because it looks like one of those deviantart Kingdom Hearts fan keyblades, and then you unsheathe it and it extrudes spikes everywhere and starts glowing purple.

It hits the stupidity overflow and wraps around to being cool again.
>>
>>285366761
It's not just a fucking beat-em-up because it uses fists instead of swords. It is far closer to DMC than it is to beat-em-ups.
>>
>>285366702
Beowulf.
Dark clone is a really fun boss to mess around with.
Dark Dante (Last floor of the BP)
Agni and Rudra.
Cerberus.
>>
>>285366505
allow me to blow your mind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3g_DQmjMb0#t=173
>>
>>285355691
When was this even a contest?
Monster Hunter is clearly superior.
>>
>>285366770
For MH4, here's a big hint: IG = EZPZ lemon squeezy monster hurtan big panini.
>>
>>285355691
Dark Souls shits all over Monster Hunter
>>
>>285366275
I mean, obviously the Great Jaggi is easy because it's literally the tutorial monster. So far the low-rank monsters that people have complained about have been really easy for me, though.
>>
>>285366921
No it isn't. DMC is all about going through a fuck ton of extremely easy enemies while God Hand focuses on more intense and challenging 1v1 encounters. Crowds tend to be overwhelming and the game's pace is slow.
>>
>>285367025
Y'all nigs say that about every new weapon.
>>
Monhun and DaS only have similarities in the combat.
Hell, you might as well compare Postal 2 to Crysis.
>>
>>285367164
So the thing about Monster Hunter and the reason everyone circlejerks about difficulty is because the game eventually gets really hard if you don't use all the tools it gives you.

People make the game hard for themselves by refusing to play with other people, not using the right equipment, or not using the abundance of helpful items. You might call it artificial difficulty.
>>
>>285355691
Dark Souls
>Such cool feel
>Such deep lore nobody understands
>Such Item get
>Such exploration

MH
>Such learning
>Such Weapons
>Such Monsters
>Such Armor
>Such doodle

No but seriously MH will always be my favorite franchise. Only because it is the game that has taken the most time from me more than any other game.

>Because it's fun
>>
File: settle this.jpg (116 KB, 479x727) Image search: [Google]
settle this.jpg
116 KB, 479x727
Let's settle this /v/.

Which is better?
>>
>>285365380
DaS has an infinitely larger, more obnoxious fanbase. And MonHun fags have actually been known to discuss their games with a degree of civility. I can't think of a reason anyone would think MonHunfags are worse unless they were raped by one or something.
>>
>>285367426
...So MHfags intentionally don't use items and then call the game difficult?
>>
>>285367565
What the fuck? Who would pic Pacman over based Tetris?
>>
>>285367426
Sounds just like Dark Souls.

I've played both game series, though, and MonHun is massively more difficult to me.
>>
>>285367674
You tetrisfags are the worst. Piling slowly-falling blocks according to color is child's play.
Dodging dangerous ghosts and making strategical use of super pellests is where the real skill is at.
>>
Serious question. Is there an endgame in Monster Hunter? Never played it, not sure if getting a used psp and the first one is worth it single player. Not going to spend 160+ on the 3ds and the new one just for one game
>>
>liking the japanese cawodoody
>>
>>285367964
Sort of? There's a very light story in 3U and 4U at least and a credits reel. The games have a mission structure, and up until 4/4U, there were a finite amount and you could finish everything in the game.
>>
File: image%3.jpg (122 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
image%3.jpg
122 KB, 1080x1080
Comparing child.looking Nintendo shit, too gothic masterpiece of gaming.

Fuck you
>>
Demon's Souls combat was clearly inspired by a mix of Ocarina of Time and Monster Hunter. They are in the same family of action games.
>>
>>285367964
If there is, good luck getting to it. There is Low Rank, High Rank, then G-Rank. Once you beat the hardest monsters in G-Rank I'd say you're done, but I've never even gotten there. Be prepared to sink hundreds of hours into MH.
>>
>>285368043
Which one? They both seem to be going down the path of annualized bullshit.
Thread replies: 233
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.