[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /v/, I've never played a souls game, and it's about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3
File: DemonsSoulsVSDarkSouls.jpg (53 KB, 490x210) Image search: [Google]
DemonsSoulsVSDarkSouls.jpg
53 KB, 490x210
Hey /v/, I've never played a souls game, and it's about time I try. I assume I eventually want to play them all, so I'm wondering where to start. Would starting with Dark Souls make Demons Souls harder to go back to? Or would a newcomer get better acquainted with the style in the newest DS2?

Also any other noobie rules of thumb you feel like throwing my way are appreciated.
>>
>>285098792
Just fucking play them in the order of release. Why is this always a question?
>>
>>285098792
Start with Dark Souls 1
then proceed to Lords of the Fallen
then proceed to DaS 2.
When you are done start thinking about buying a console.
>>
>>285098792
Demon's Souls is a good game in its own right, "going back to it" wouldn't hurt the experience at all.

It's a different enough game from Dark Souls that you won't be able to exploit the same strategies you used in Dark Souls; both in and out of combat. So really it works on either end of playing Dark Souls, before or after.
>>
Play them in release order.

It's okay to start with Dark Souls if you don't have a PS3. Demon's Souls is easy to go back to, it's not archaic by comparison.

If you play Dark Souls on PC, which you should, make sure to get DSFix
>>
>>285099052
this
apply to every series
>>
>>285099346

Was planning on playing DS1 on xbox because I heard the pc port is garbage and even bugs out sometimes after applying the fixes and that the control is awful with mouse & keyboard anyhow.

Thanks for the replies every one else, sounds like DS1 or demons souls is the way to go.
>>
>>285099552

Although I usually like to play series in order, there are a lot that I would recommend not doing so with. Two recent games I played that I would say just skip to the newest game would be Diablo and Tomb Raider. For a series like Souls, it would make a lot of sense that one of the games would be a lot better for a newcomer than a different one.

Appreciate the reply, though. :)
>>
>>285099706
>Was planning on playing DS1 on xbox because I heard the pc port is garbage and even bugs out sometimes after applying the fixes and that the control is awful with mouse & keyboard anyhow.

No.

With DSFix it's beyond argument the best way to play the game. And plug your 360 controller into your PC, silly.
>>
>>285099052
>Why is this always a question?
People without the console the first game was on want to know if they can start the series or if they would be better off waiting a few years for a better experience.
>>
DaS is for gitting gud, DeS is for chilling it through. Atleast when you play in that order. DaS might have a good amount of people and increasing till Bloodborne is out, but a majority will vanish this month. If you wanna see people, now would be the time to go with DaS. DeS has very few people nowadays compared.
>>
>>285100016
>skip to the newest game would be Diablo and Tomb Raider
Holy fucking shit this is one of the best posts I have ever seen here
>>
>>285098792
It doesnt matter. Just dont level resistance and stay away from magic on your first playthrough.
>>
>>285098792
Play Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.
>>
>>285102956
B-But muh royality. I found DeS hard without exploiting magic. I tried knight once for first playthrough but couldn't even get through 1-1 entirely.
>>
>>285103868
I generally dont brag about challenge, but magic in the souls games is seriously broken. It turns the game into "press R1" simulator, especially DeS.
>>
I liked Dark Souls a lot more than Demon's and it has a more lively pvp scene, but it's really up to you, they are both great and have no real connections story-wise.
>>
>>285098792
Start with the best in the series and then play Dark Souls. I don't understand what that 'DS2' is.
>>
>>285105970
>Start with the best in the series and then play Dark Souls.
that makes no sense
>>
>>285107145
Makes perfect sense to me.
>>
>>285107254
Why would you play Dark Souls twice in a row?
>>
>>285107329
Why not? It's a good game. Just make sure to play the best game in the series first.
>>
>>285107472
But when is he going to play Demon's Souls?
>>
>>285107601
When he finally decides to try the series, I assume.
>>
>>285098792
Play from worst to best starting the Dark Souls 2, then play Dark Souls, then play Demon's Souls.
>>
>>285109028

World Tendency resetting to online average everytime you play with online prevents Demon's Souls from being best.
>>
>>285109427
World Tendency being the most interesting mechanic for a first playthrough since ever makes it the best.
>>
>>285109529

It's great in concept but shit in practice because of the online reset bullshit. Dark Souls feels less obtuse.
>>
>>285109774
World Tendency started being tedious and boring after you read it up on the wiki, that is a fact.
>>
>>285109529
WT was executed like shit, the game would be better without it.
>>
>>285109529
>implying anyone on their first playthrough would be savvy enough to play offline and actually notice world tendency

seriously, it always resets.
>>
>>285098792
id start with dark souls which is the strongest of the series, go to demons souls after i'd say then dark souls 2
>>
>>285110067

This is the best way to play because Dark Souls 2's combat feels like an expansion of Demon's rather than an improvement to Dark Souls 1. For instance weapon movesets got simplified to DeS levels of sameness but they added a few neat things like dual wielding.
>>
File: 1422619238058.png (108 KB, 400x381) Image search: [Google]
1422619238058.png
108 KB, 400x381
>>285105970
>>285107145
>>285107254
>>285107329
>>285107472
>>285107601
>>285107698
>>
>>285098792
For shits and giggles, go from DaS 2 and play in reverse order. They get casualized more from oldest to newest anyways, and the plot really doesn't depend on play order.

You might as well play the one with the most online activity right now anyway, rather than later.
>>
Release order, since Dark Souls 1 is full of memetastic Demon's Souls references.
Same goes for DaS 2.
>>
File: 1407569892341.png (211 KB, 828x766) Image search: [Google]
1407569892341.png
211 KB, 828x766
>>285100016
>Which Diablo should I play first?
>Diablo 3
>>
>>285110427
how were they casualized when Demon's is the easiest and has a fuckload of easily obtainable healing items?
>>
>>285110468
>Release order, since Dark Souls 1 is full of memetastic Demon's Souls references.

It really has none worth mentioning unless you count the handful of characters that are literally the same and say the same lines verbatim. 99% of references are to Berserk and Froms other game series such as kingsfield and armored core.
>>
>>285110901
>"handful"
sure.
also, don't forget all those enemies and bosses which also reappeared.
some even have the same move sets.
>>
>>285111538
Not that anon, but who besides Patches and Crestfallen?
I don't remember any bosses re-appearing either.
>>
>>285113110
maiden in black -> handicapped firekeeper
yurt -> lautrec
shiva -> satsuki
zombie merchant -> undead merchant
ostrava -> solaire (2 people whose quest for answers lead to their deaths)
vinland -> leeroy
allant (king who sacrifices himself to preserve his kingdom) -> gwyn (king who sacrifices himself to preserve his kingdom)

fat ugly tutorial boss monster with weapon -> fat ugly tutorial boss monster with weapon
red dragon -> red dragon
zombies -> zombies (same move set)
skeletons doing that stupid horizontal slash -> skeletons doing that stupid horizontal slash
maneaters -> gargoyles

there's probably some other shit too which I don't remember.
>>
>>285099552
why would you start monster hunter at monster hunter?
>>
>>285114307
>maiden in black -> handicapped firekeeper
>yurt -> lautrec
>shiva -> satsuki
>zombie merchant -> undead merchant
>ostrava -> solaire (2 people whose quest for answers lead to their deaths)
>vinland -> leeroy
>allant (king who sacrifices himself to preserve his kingdom) -> gwyn (king who sacrifices himself to preserve his kingdom)
None of these characters are literally the same, they have similar archetypes, but their stories are much different, Solaire isn't even similar to Ostrava even, they're just two most important NPCs in their respective games.
>>
>>285114658
they're still references.

HEY! DID YOU SEE THAT THING!? DO YOU REMEMBER THAT SIMILAR THING FROM THAT OTHER GAME?! DO YOU?!? DID YOU GET IT?!? HAHAHA! HOW NEATO, AMIRITE?!?ยจ!
>>
>>285114967
Lel, did you just move your goalposts from literally the same to references?
Not to mention the only direct references are Lautrec and Leeroy, the rest is just characters in similar functions.
>>
>>285115157
Forgot to add Shiva's story was cut, so he's nothing like Satsuki in the end product.
>>
>>285114307
>Solaire, the character that does nothing but help you the whole time and is most likely just some knight who got really good is the same as the incompetent prince you have to rescue all the time
I'd get it if you said Siegmeyer, but even that's a stretch.
>>
>>285115157
I know this might be hard for you, but if you read the original post (which is >>285110468 btw) very very carefully, you might, just MIGHT, see that I always said "references" and NOT "literally the same"

>>285115506
their character development is incredibly similar though.
>>
>>285115601
>their character development is incredibly similar though.
Not really, Ostrava realizes the truth and offs himself, Solaire either goes crazy and attacks you or wins the game alongside you.
Again, much more in line with Siggy's story, even though ti was still very different.
>>
Demon's Souls is like 8 hours long, just start with that. Since there's no goddamn point to wearing armour you're just sprinting through that game.
>>
>>285110468
lmao if that's your logic you should start with King's Field.

Actually, yes. Start with King's Field.
>>
>>285115936
yeah, you might be right.
though I still thing that ostrava going from being an arrogant and proud to desperate and suicidal, and solaire going from always happy and smiling to desperate and insane is quite similar.

>>285116403
I agree
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.