[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /v/ I'm looking for a new MMO to get into as I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8
File: motivational-poster-mmorpg.jpg (187 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
motivational-poster-mmorpg.jpg
187 KB, 750x600
So /v/ I'm looking for a new MMO to get into as I've used up all available interest in WoW my 15 bucks a month could spare. I've been looking at RIFT and Tera Rising but from what I've seen nothing is particularity screaming out to me. Any suggestions on what I should play?

>fuck GW2 by the way
>>
Age of Conan
>>
>>285067139
>Tera
Stay away.

Play ESO if you want a non traditional mmo experience.
>>
>>285068413
I heard ESO was no where near worth the price tag
>>
>>285068558

ESO wouldn't be worth the price tag if it were free.
>>
>>285068413
I'm thinking of playing TESO since they're turning non-sub next month. Is there any sort of trial account system?
>>
FFXIV
>>
FFXIV is pretty much the only option now as long as you're still into WoWesque themeparks.
>>
FFXIV
>>
>>285068778 This, I would love to try the game at the very least.
>>
>>285067139
FFXIV is the only alternative for WoW most of the other MMOs are dead like Tera
>>
>>285067139
I've tried a lot of MMOs recently, and FFXIV was the only one that wasn't terrible.
>>
File: Star Fucked 01.jpg (334 KB, 1029x832) Image search: [Google]
Star Fucked 01.jpg
334 KB, 1029x832
>>285068710
>>285068558
It is free in a few weeks.

>>285068778
No trial account at all. Just be patient.
>>
>>285069095
What makes FFXIV so special?
>>
>>285067139
RIFT: A good alternative to WoW if you are looking for a similar experience in a different world with a different progression system. The F2P system isn't too shabby, but fancy mounts and stuff are hidden behind RNG boxes.

LOTRO: A more old school approach that avoided much of the streamlining that WoW went through. Great world and lore, of course, but there is a dwindling playerbase. Some of the world is free to play, other areas require paid expansions. Has one of the best rogue classes in MMO history (burglar).

Marvel Heroes: An action rpg mmo-esque game made by D. Brevik, the creator of Diablo I and II. Has a much more social environment than traditional arpgs with actual open world zones (like Midtown) where dozens of players play on the same map.

FFXIV: Played about 30 hours and another 10 or so during beta. Very generic, but if that's what you are looking for, you will get a traditional mmo experience.

ESO: Played about 15 hours before I could no longer handle the boring combat and absolutely ugly visuals. Horrible UI to boot.

Tera: Meh.

Champions Online: a fun little superhero themed mmo. More traditional mmorpg than Marvel Heroes. Lots of content seemed to be locked behind paywalls. But pretty fun.

OP - I will try to think of more and update you.
>>
>>285069927
Hmm maybe I will give RIFT a try. I guess I can't get away without paying for something.
>>
>>285067139
SWTOR
>>
>>285069927
>Tera: Meh.
Tera's great at least until you hit the level cap with your first character. The end game isn't that bad and the pvp is quite nice. The combat system is great, maybe not as great as some people make it sound but it still beats the generic alt-tabbing easily. The biggest downside in my opinion is the cash shop because the items are AHable and Tera club is kind of a must too if you want to go fast.
>>
>>285070631
Nah, I'm not into Star Wars that much.
>>
I'm looking for a new one too. Thinking of just biting the bullet and going back to WoW. XIV is boring as fuck with literally no endgame/PvP/terrible combat, TERA is dead, GW2 is slow as molasses and the game in general has always been garbage even more so now since the only reason to play it the vanity is becoming cash shop only.
>>
>>285068057
For me AoC & Secret World were the only MMO's I ever found interesting. AoC for its combat system and SW for the great story.
>>
Why "fuck gw2"?
>>
>>285071394
Because it's shit.
>>
>>285071482
How so?
>>
>>285069275
How is being patient going to help? I don't want to shell out money for the game without knowing if I'm going to enjoy it.
Am I really going to have to rely on youtube vids to form an opinion?
>>
>>285071394
Literally what >>285071250 said, slower than shit.
>>
>>285071534
Being patient is going to help because the game is going FREE TO PLAY in literally 3 weeks.

The base game will be unaffected, and only convenience and cosmetic items are being added to the pay store.
>>
>>285071250

being stuck on turn 11 must be tough, bro.
>>
>>285070359
Rift is ok. The thing is 2 subclasses per class are behind a paywall. You can get premium currency by trading in-game currency but it's going to take a long time unless you get lucky with drops while leveling. In it's favor I guess you can say that most of the content is not behind a paywall. You have access to all areas and raids. The only real sticking point are those sub-classes.
>>
>>285071518
Absolutely no endgame, WvWvW is a zergfest, PvP in general is trash, you need swiftness just to feel like you're moving at a normal speed, and even then you're still slow as fuck. Almost all the new vanity is stuck behind the cash shop or limited time only.
>>285071785
I one shot it weekly. Nice try though.
>>
File: thrallshrek.jpg (23 KB, 637x344) Image search: [Google]
thrallshrek.jpg
23 KB, 637x344
>play on roleplay servers in MMORPGs
>enjoy the aspect of being immersed in the lore
>within reason of course, no one wants to be that faggot in PUGs talk about how much he's going to protect us with the Light/Force/etc.
>Talk to people who play MMORPGs simply for the progression aspect.
>They think roleplay is for faggots/no lifes.
>mfw RPG is literally in the name of the genre
>they can't understand the concept that disassociating yourself from an online avatar isn't socially acceptable for some reason
>>
File: Secret_World_cover.jpg (713 KB, 300x424) Image search: [Google]
Secret_World_cover.jpg
713 KB, 300x424
>waiting_on_raid_group.jpg
>>
>>285072140
No endgame? Wow fuck that.
>>
>>285071768
AFAIK the game is dropping the subscription, but you still have to make the one time purchase. Did they decide to drop that too?
>>
File: Stroheim_first.png (227 KB, 250x390) Image search: [Google]
Stroheim_first.png
227 KB, 250x390
>>285072159
>roleplaying in jedi knight: jedi academy
>all the nerds would rage everytime someone would break their role to say something OOC
>>
>>285072159
>Play on roleplay servers
>It's filled with meme spouting retards
>All the rpers are edgy teens with mary/gary stu characters
>>285072257
Vanity is the GW2 endgame, and they're locking it away behind the cash shop. You can buy gems for the cash shop with in game money, but unless you're a massive autist that grinds out shit day and night while watching the auction house good fucking luck with that since Anet goes out of their way to kill every possible way to make money.
>>
File: 1329244318824.png (316 KB, 614x355) Image search: [Google]
1329244318824.png
316 KB, 614x355
>that feel still can't let go of TERA because of the amazing time of CBT's
It's as legendary as /v/ playing Wurm Online except with /a/ bundled together.
>>
>>285072159
>shrek memespoutting redditor
you are the problem
>>
Not OP, just one who is also curious - so it seems that RIFT is the most worth trying out of all these mentioned? I haven't played any MMO for a few years since most of what I used to play has shut down its servers.
>>
>>285072829
RIFT™ went full p2w with their last expansion IIRC.

>here have this massive grind easily skippable with 25 dollaridoos
>>
>>285072635
cock and balls torture?
>>
>>285072927
Well shit. I wish i could find something in where you can do just fine without having to pay for things with real money.
>>
>>285073137
I'm sorry I don't play Mystic
>>
>>285073180
OP here, this all the way. If I'm going to pay money I'd rather just play WoW.
>>
>>285072927
Did they? I haven't played in a while. In what way does it skip it? Levels? Last I remember the real grind are those elemental affinities or whatever that's shared throughout all the characters in the entire account.
>>
>>285073180
Well, if you can handle DLC packs of god tier content, which actually ADD content which is awesome, try TSW.
>>
Path of Exile.
>>
>>285073694
They added earring slots which cost 100k currency each and there's a hard 35k/week currency cap on those.

Earrings are of course a massive stat boost.

Which is why I stopped playing.
>>
wildstar has actually improved a lot since release.

I really enjoyed it while I was playing but I bought a wii u and felt like dedicating my time to it as opposed to an mmo.

i imagine I'll go back to it in the future though

it was 20 bucks on sale a couple weeks ago, sucks you missed it.
>>
Black Desert and Skyforge and the most promising titles but I doubt they will be out in the west before 2016.
>>
>>285069326
It's a WoW clone with catgirls and lolis. That's about it.
>>
>>285073218
Wat?
>>
File: 1418868229561.gif (1 MB, 192x144) Image search: [Google]
1418868229561.gif
1 MB, 192x144
swtor
>>
>>285073883
Disgusting. I wanted to come back again but I guess I'll just look into something else like TSW.
>>
>>285069326
Literally nothing. It's just a kawaii uguu version of WoW.
>>
File: 298.jpg (29 KB, 350x464) Image search: [Google]
298.jpg
29 KB, 350x464
>>285073943
Black desert is supposed to come out in the west by late this year
Im oly truly interested on the editor TBH
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.