[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /v/ think of Construct 2 for game making? From what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 9
File: construct2_logo.png (134 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
construct2_logo.png
134 KB, 500x500
What does /v/ think of Construct 2 for game making?

From what I understand, there is no programming required, and you can still make almost any kind of game you want.
>>
>>250028587
>no programming required,
Correct.
>you can still make almost any kind of game
only 2d games but I doubt you'll be making a 3d game for your first game anyway

To give you an idea of what you can do you could make a game like Hotline Miami with it.
>>
>>250030496
What about a game like Streets of Rage?
>>
the whole no programming thing is mostly a crutch
>>
>>250028587
If you're planning on making a simple 2D platformer with no interest in programming the yeah it's okay. Tutorial is rather good and takes about 10-20 minutes. The majority of the thing is just setting if statements really.
>>
>>250031204
What do you mean?

>>250031334
Can you make in-depth 2D games? For example, an arcade beat-em-up like Streets of Rage, complete with events going on during battles (Like enemies jumping through glass windows, etc.) But also with cutscenes in between levels and such, too?
>>
>>250030948
Never played streets of rage but google told me its a sidescroller.

Yeah you can make sidescrollers its actually especially good for making infinte runners and sidescrollers. Dont expect to get all the animations and movements as smooth as a game using a custom engine though. Also there may be performance issues due to the way it exports the game because any game you make in construct has to be able to run in a browser
>>
>>250031676
yes you can do all that BUT you will run into performance issues as I said >>250031829

as for cutscenes. i assume you are going to play a video in bewteen levels?
>>
>>250031829
So you're saying it would have performance issues even if you played a version installed on your computer? Or just the browser version only?

Also, how does Game Maker and Unity compare?
>>
>>250032359
>as for cutscenes. i assume you are going to play a video in bewteen levels?
Yeah. I still don't really know what I'm going to do, but I've been thinking of game ideas and if I made a Streets of Rage type game, I wanted cutscenes.
>>
File: 67168-2.jpg (50 KB, 464x278) Image search: [Google]
67168-2.jpg
50 KB, 464x278
>>250031676
>>250032451
>>250032575

Make sure you have all the sprites and are willing to sit there for an hour to create events for everything.

For cutscenes they'd probably be best like pic related.

Not sure about unity and game maker, but i am planning on making a shitty Unity game during the summer.
>>
>>250032451
>Also, how does Game Maker and Unity compare?
much more versatile tools, both are capable of 3d. more programming required
>>
>>250032668
Are you saying events take longer to do than programming? I assume they're easier though. As for cutscenes, I was thinking more cinematic style, such as Ninja Gaiden.

>>250032702
Are they better in terms of 2D? Also, I think Unity can, but can Game Maker games be ported? (Wii U, PSN, Steam, etc.)
>>
>>250032451
Yes. It has no way to make games as native applications. Rather you make a browser game and then it uses node-WebKit to port your browser game into a desktop application. It can also port it into iOS and Andriod.

Ive never used Game Maker but thats what Hotline Miami was made on. As for Unity it is more advanced and will require coding. You'll probably be discouraged when you see the interface if you have never coded before.
>>
File: gm targets.jpg (18 KB, 188x214) Image search: [Google]
gm targets.jpg
18 KB, 188x214
>>250033178
Just peecee gaymen
>>
>>250033178
It's just kinda boring clicking and dragging sprites is all.

By ninja gaiden you mean the NES version right? I think you could pull that off.
>>
>>250033489
Isn't Hotline Miami on PSN though?
>>
>>250033771
They essentially remade the whole game for consoles. They only ported it once they became millionaires off the PC version and could afford it.
>>
>>250033454
Well shit. I guess I'll use something other than Construct then. I'd like to learn programming and use Unity but I'm not sure if I have the time to. Game Maker might be my best choice. But doesn't that require some type of scripting? Do you know if it's easy to learn, or does it take awhile like programming?
>>
>>250033993
So you're saying the Game Maker version and the console version are technically different games? I mean I know they're the same but considering they just remade it, but they probably had to use a different program to create the console version with.
>>
>>250034084
GML ought to be pretty simple if you have a good grasp of the basics of programming (if statements and loops, logic operators, the most basic knowledge of OOP).
>>
Alright.

Let me tell you about programming.

It's NOT as difficult as you might think it is. Nowhere near.

It takes some patience and lots of practice, but anything worth doing does.

And then, when you know how to code in a language, everything just gets that much easier.

For as much time as it would take to learn a program like Construct or Game Maker, that time could be spent learning a language, or at the very least a script, and the number of things you could do with it grow a hundred fold.
>>
If you want to make a videogame you should learn to program
>>
If you want to just make a simple game, just learn the tools like GM or Construct.

Of you want to make more complex games, then you may want to learn Unity
>>
>>250034524
Resources to learn programming (off the top of my head):
http://www.codecademy.com/
http://learnpythonthehardway.org/
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheChernoProject
http://www.reddit.com/r/learnprogramming
and various other youtube tutorials
>>
>>250034524
>It takes some patience and lots of practice
Do you know about how long it would take to be able to make a decent game? I've got a lot going on so I don't know how much time I'll have. If I practiced programming for maybe 1-2 hours a day, do know how long it would take?

Also, I just figured out that Unity is a 3D engine so I won't be using that. Does anyone know of any other good 2D engines?
>>
>>250035241
>reddit
fuck off
>>
>>250035260
Maybe six months to a year?

But the end result would be ten times better than just using a game maker program by itself.
>>
>>250035260
Don't listen to the programming fags, programming IS hard and many experts suggest not even professionals know how to do it.

For making games it's going to take you months of hard work, at the very least.
>1-2 hours a day
It's going to take you a lot.

I know how to use GM and I tend to be around /agdg/ helping people, I'd say it's pretty good for simple non-3D games.
>>
>>250034416
Yeah. They hired a team of programmers to remake their game using the Sony development tools. But TBH you shouln't even be thinking about consoles yet. Console development is a shitshow. There is a reason almost all indie games start on PC first.

>>250034524
>>250034583
While this is mostly true, you should probably make a simple 2d game using one of these tools to see if you even enjoy making games or even have what it takes to get that sword slash animation just right or to get that enemy to attack just so. If you can make a bretty gud game using one of these "noob" tools then you can learn programming to make more advanced games
>>
>>250035390
>I like to close myself off to possibilities because of an ambiguous and arbitrary stigma with another website

HUR.
>>
File: 1402309803595.png (190 KB, 508x508) Image search: [Google]
1402309803595.png
190 KB, 508x508
>>250035390
That sub is useful for beginners you stupid prick...
>>
>>250035692
>Maybe six months to a year?
Hmm, depending on the type of game, that doesn't seem that bad.

Are you saying I could make a game like Streets of Rage with that? Or do you just mean a more basic 2D platformer? Because for some reason I figured it would take a few years to learn how to make an actual good game.
>>
If you want to learn programming, you should make an engine.
If you want just to make a game use construct2
>>
>>250035241
Add C++ Through Game Programming in there if you're interested in learning C++.

Despite the name, it's more about programming and C++ idioms and the basics of programming. The game part is just there to appeal to nerd sensibilities.
>>
Programming advice is like /fit/ness advice.

Everyone has an opinion on what the best way to do things. The truth is different things work for different people.
>>
File: programming is ez guise.jpg (144 KB, 669x507) Image search: [Google]
programming is ez guise.jpg
144 KB, 669x507
>>250036563
>The truth is different things work for different people.
And many times none work at all.
>>
File: mad.jpg (6 KB, 229x200) Image search: [Google]
mad.jpg
6 KB, 229x200
>>250036563
There's a word for that you silly bastard, preferences.

Why aren't you PHP masterace

>>250036874
Holy shit I haven't seen that before

>we can predict success or failure before students begin programming

Does this mean I can call all my peers who can't program failures and tell them all their life's ambitions are pointless?
>>
>>250037596
For now. Pretty soon learning to program will be like learning to use Photoshop. Casual shit like Ruby on Rails is only the beginning
>>
>>250028587
construct 2 compiles to html5 and requires licensing for commercial use. To this end, construct classic is superior
>>
>>250031829
streets of rage plays like final fight, golden axe, D&D arcade, scott pilgrim, double dragon, river city ransom, or dragon's crown

so if you don't know any of those you've got a backlog to catch up on
>>
>>250038302
I - I could give you guys a licence
>>
>>250032451
Unity answers many needs of the artist but still requires some basic programming
go here for tutorials
http://www.walkerboystudio.com/html/unity_course_start_here__free_.html
>>
>>250035260
I really wish people would stop recommending game maker when there are better, more easier engines to get into nowaday. OP, try out these engines, they all do 2d pretty damn well.

Stencyl, Multimedia Fusion 2, Game Develop, GameSalad.

All these engines allow you to make most 2d games without traditional programing. (visual scripting) Also, unity does 2d as well, it is hands down the best choice for 2d right now. As far as the programing goes, you can use Play Maker, the visual scripting tool, so you don't have learning a bunch of code.
>>
>>250038123
Everyone feels like Game Maker will be the Illustrator/Photoshop of making games.

Then they make a platformer with drag and drop.
Then they make an overhead with 4 way movement.
Then they realize they have to learn some code and they code a few things
Then they realize it's still hard as shit to do anything

The best lesson i learned was that, while i thought I was a person they understood the LOGIC behind code but just didn't know the language, I really knew nothing about programming logic.
>>
>>250038950
What did you find difficult?
>>
File: 1328932328541.jpg (156 KB, 500x547) Image search: [Google]
1328932328541.jpg
156 KB, 500x547
Programming isn't that difficult at a high level (I'm making my own engine out of pure masochism, but you don't have to get anywhere near that level to make games). It's fun, and opens a lot of doors, but if your idea is fairly simple there's no real need for it. You're probably more likely to finish the game by using a no-programming environment.
>>
I'm making a game with it and now it's on Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/296870/
>>
>>250038950
Thats my point though. In the future only the neckbeards will know the logic. Just like right now only the Art Phds care about shit like composition and balance. Everyone else just presses a button on photoshop and it does it for them.
>>
>>250033489
Gamemaker can now straight up export to PS3/PS4/PSV but in order to get the exporter you need to become a licensed playstation developer
>>
Here are some of the things I made with it:
Drum machine: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11682568/808demo1c/index.html
Tech demo with procedurally generated bizarre stuff: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11682568/zalgo/index.html
>>
>>250038721
>Multimedia Fusion 2
Isn't Construct and Construct 2 just a better version of that?
>>
Alright.

Just spitballing here; let's say I wanted to make a 2D Metroidvania style game.
Like, featureset-wise, identical to something like Symphony of the Night. Equipable armor and weapons, puzzle solving and terrain traversing abilities, shape shifting, double-jumping, the whole nine yards.

What would be my best bet?
>>
>>250040659
No, cheaper, yes, but no MMF2.5 is better.
>>
I used multimedia fusion 2 for my 2d gaming experiments, shit was good.

The programming and code part was so easy that I could focus only on the art assets myself, then I got so obsessed with art that I become a drawfag involved with comics and forgot gaming design altogether.
>>
>>250040963
>Multimedia Fusion 2 is such a good game-creation tool, that I forgot about making games altogether!
>>
>>250040698
Anything would. It doesn't really matter what engine you use, what matters is can you program those features? Once you understand the logic of programming, you can easily deduct what is and what isn't possible.
>>
>>250039442
based on the demo video, you need to make your jump physics and arc
that or at least let gravity pull you down slowly
as it stands the jumping looks like early dos platformers

though it is pixelart you have something resembling a clue about artsyle and limited pallets so I'm interested. but not buying early access, sorry

add some detail to the teeth
>>
>>250040826
But I mean, isn't it confusing as shit with all of the checkmarks and stuff you have to use? Construct 2 uses an event system instead.
>>
>>250041637
jump physics AN arc
i blame the stupid fingers
>>
>>250041637
I seriously can't please everyone with the platforming, so I did what I thought I liked the most. It's not that bad, and it's not an action game anyway. But thanks for the feedback!
>>
>>250039442
Tell me more about the process of getting something on Steam. How hard is it to do? Has the added publicity helped at all?
>>
>>250042124
It's pretty straightforward, you have a panel of sorts where you set all the information for your game. To actually send them your game you use the SDK with a command line. It's really simple and they've video tutorials too so anyone can do it.
>>
>>250041773
From my understanding, they work pretty damn similar. I've never been bothered by fusions set up. My biggest grip with C2 is they went with HTML5 as their main focus. Is is slow on everything but desktop. F2.5 uses C++ and native code for their exports.
>>
>>250028587
they act like it's free, but if you go over a certain number of events they won't let you publish the game, and you'll need a paid version.
>>
I dropped mmf2 for construct a long long time ago because at the time it didn't support hardware acceleration.

I wonder how clickteams stuff is now
>>
>>250042710
There are limits to the free version, but it's not like those limits are hidden. Anyone who tries to download Construct can see them.

Definitely less sneaky than Unity with their "we can visit you at any time and you have to show us your files, and if we find anything weird we'll fine you" clause.
>>
>>250043615
wait what
>>
>>250044593
http://unity3d.com/company/legal/eula
>To ensure compliance with this Agreement, you agree that within thirty (30) days from the date of Unity or its authorized representative’s request, you shall provide all pertinent records and information requested in order to verify that your installation and use of any and all Software is in compliance with this Agreement along with a signed verification that all such information is complete and correct. Furthermore, if you are a Legal Entity, Unity or its authorized representatives may upon reasonable prior notice access and inspect your facilities and computer systems to review and verify your compliance with this Agreement. Any such inspection shall be conducted during regular business hours at your facilities or electronically via remote access. In the event you have impermissibly used Unity Free (or other products) or have not paid the applicable fees for all Software you have deployed or used, you agree to promptly pay for such Software and the reasonable inspection costs.
Always read contracts.
>>
>Always wanted to make a text adventure that was in depth as fuck and put it on Steam for dirt cheap
>find out a couple days ago someone released a text adventure for the first time on Steam
>Now I'm sorta hyped up to make one

What are the chances I could:
>A: Make a text adventure and put it on Steam
>B: Make it somewhat erotic in someways
>>
>>250046793
Just like make game

Seriously, if you want to do it, do it. There are a few game engines that specialize in text and imagex. I'd go with unity myself but you can do your own research. Start here and happy trails! www.moddb.com/engines
>>
>>250047290
>Text-adventure
>Unity
I think he'd rather be better off with C++.
>>
>>250047430
Everything works better with a lower level language, I figured he had no background in programming. Non the less, unity uses C#, he'd be fine with that.
>>
>>250047919
That's not what I meant.

Working with the console is trivial with C++.
There's no reason to use Unity, a 3D engine, given he's not even going to use non-text graphics

Also the standard text for Unity fucking sucks.
>>
>>250048247
Ah, I've indeed misunderstood, good day, sir.
>>
How do I turn my drawings into sprites, /v/?
>>
>>250049452
git gud
>>
>>250049452
>draw sprite
>draw other sprites until you have a sprite sheet
>(OPTIONAL) use sprites in game
>>
>>250042491
Wait.

So it's literally that easy to publish stuff on Steam?

So then what's the point of Steam Greenlight?
>>
People keep saying Construct 2 has problems due to being HTML5 and having to support browsers, meaning there can be problems.

Would Construct 1 be a better choice instead of Construct 2?
>>
>>250050545
>So then what's the point of Steam Greenlight?
Not the guy you were talking to, but I assume it's just a quality control thing.
>>
File: qwerty.png (218 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
qwerty.png
218 KB, 1366x768
So I've just finished an A Level in computing and written a kinda complex program in Visual Basic with Visual Studio. I'm already familiar with beginner stuff like subroutines and inheritance and data types but no so much with libraries or optimisation. How hard would it be to make a crappy game and how hard would it be to learn a better language that doesn't hold your hand so much?
>>
>>250051552
>How hard would it be to make a crappy game
In VB .NET? a lot, as there are no good game libraries AFAIK.

>how hard would it be to learn a better language that doesn't hold your hand so much?
C# Is just VB .NET with C-like syntax and lets you use XNA and Unity.

So almost none if you choose that route.
>>
>>250053004
Is C# a good language? I what's the difference between that and C+?
>>
>>250050545
It's a quality control thing like >>250050972
said, but they're getting rid of it, I think. They've mentioned several times that they want to close down greenlight and make Steam accessible to any dev.
>>
>>250050706
People said that in 2009 when it started, today any computer can run WebGL perfectly (but WinXP machines).
>>
>>250053517
c# is microsoft's version of java, c++ is nightmare fuel
>>
>>250053517
it's pretty much the C: Java edition.
Easiest it gets, and XNA runs on it
>>
>>250053517
C# is basically Microsoft-locked Java. Main paradigm is OOP and the emphasis is on ease of use, which basically means most of the stuff that can break down bad is taken away from your control and is instead managed by the language framework (CLR).

C++ is a lot more powerful and is lower-level, which means it allows you to do complex but worthwhile stuff like memory management down to byte level.
This allows for great optimization tricks but can get really hectic.
UE4 uses C++ and there are many, MANY frameworks and documentation about it. So if you want to get really serious about gamedev, you need to learn it.

C# is a good choice for amateur gamedev; it's pretty powerful, has a lot of documentation and lets you use Unity and XNA which are pretty powerful game frameworks.

You can even port your games to other GNU/Linux and Mac with Unity and Monogame.

Java is more widespread and lets you get into mobile faster for both games and other applications, so if you're aiming for a more serious programming "career" I'd recommend it over C#.
>>
>>250054825
>C++ is a lot more powerful and is lower-level, which means it allows you to do complex but worthwhile stuff like memory management down to byte level.
why don't just use c then insteaf of that clusterfuck that plays pretend to be oo
>>
http://yosefk.com/c++fqa/fqa.html
>>
>>250055112
From a gamedev standpoint, C only has SDL2 as a "game" library, right?

SDL is pretty barebones compared to C++ offerings like UE4, SFML or even Allegro, IMO.
>>
>>250054825
>Java is more widespread and lets you get into mobile faster for both games and other applications, so if you're aiming for a more serious programming "career" I'd recommend it over C#.

uh c# is literally java with keywords with different capitalization
>>
File: 1397466934829.jpg (19 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1397466934829.jpg
19 KB, 500x375
>>250055381
holy shit that's some scary stuff
>>
>>250055874
You're wrong.

C# runs on CLR (Windows only), Java runs on the JVM (all OS that can install the JRE).

Android is almost entirely tailored for Java development, as it has libraries and frameworks available from Google itself. Similarly you'll have a better time with iOS using Java rather than C#.

And that's not even getting into smaller details like how each language Garbage Collection work.
>>
>>250050545
Apparently the whole way Steam works at Valve is archaic and it would probably break if they opened it up to everyone. I think some greenlight representatives said that in a developer chat once.
>>
>>250054507
>>250054765
>>250054825
Thanks! I guess I know how I'm spending summer. Is there some sort of plugin or addon I can install on Visual Studio?
>>
>>250057606
So C# it is?

I don't know any game plugin for visual studio, but I recommend pirating VS Ultimate mainly for IntelliTrace, it can be a huge time saver.

If you're planning on going with XNA, this is a really concise tutorial series:
http://rbwhitaker.wikidot.com/xna-tutorials
>>
Construct is pretty good actually, it's simple but quite robust, I believe Konjak uses it for making The Iconoclasts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfISI9biqvw
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.