[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Yuri Game Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /u/ - Yuri

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 49
File: 94081.jpg (199 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
94081.jpg
199 KB, 1280x720
Updates and Discussion for English and Japanese games, visual novels, RPGs, etc.

Previous thread: >>2014408

Lists of Yuri Games:
http://pastebin.com/3YEeUSQ9
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/4oc1uvr5vl96m/Yuri
http://store.steampowered.com/curator/6864182-Hella-Yuri/
https://vndb.org/g1986?fil=tagspoil-0.tag_inc-1986

Related Threads:

Nights of Azure: >>2020729
Kindred Spirits (Spoilers): >>2013380
Sono Hanabira: >>2013265
Hyperdimension Neptunia: >>2021994
Life is Strange: >>2000403
>>
Recent News:

Tsui Yuri is out in Japan
Nights of Azure is out pretty much everywhere
Love is Strange is out and free
The trial for Lilycle Rainbow Stage is out
>>
New Kindred Spirits thread thanks to the crazy thread-spammer: >>2024863
>>
I finished Nights of Azure.

Is it yuri?: It's pretty yuri. You'd have to be pretty freaking thick to claim it isn't. The characters declare their love for each other and sleep in the same bed and can't stop talking about how beautiful the other is and other characters call them lovers and there's some gay demons and more stuff like that.

As for the endings, since someone was asking in the last thread...

How the endings work in Nights of Azure is there's three "normal" endings. Which of these three you get at the end of the game depends on your affection rating with Lilysse, which increases depending on how you answer certain questions throughout the game. After you clear the game once, additional events leading up to two extra boss fights become available. After you clear all of that you will receive the "true" ending after clearing the game. After getting the true ending if you clear the game again at max affection (you can adjust affection to any of five levels after the true endings, which each gives you one ending) you get a "bonus" ending.

All of the endings are pretty short, so after you get one of the normal endings and the true ending it's better to just look them up on Youtube. My personal favorite of all of the endings was the "middle" normal end, which was p cool.
>>
>>2024875
>pretty yuri
So it's not plain text?

I think nobody questions whether those two are gay or not. It's just a matter of whether they're like Haruka/Michiru of Sailor Moon (subtext) or Malga/Margot of Horizon (text).

>other characters call them lovers
What is the context, are these characters talking about how they act like lovers, or did they actually seriously call them lovers?
>>
>>2024884
Haruka and Michiru are not subtext, you idiot.
>>
>>2024884
Some instances of column A, at least one instance of column B.
>>
File: www_by_b67a-d9xhe61.png (173 KB, 637x770) Image search: [Google]
www_by_b67a-d9xhe61.png
173 KB, 637x770
[x] Touch fluffy sheep
>>
>>2024907
You can't just touch a sheep's wool!
>>
>>2024909
You can't stop me!
>>
File: comis2_by_gimesama-d9x35ua.png (251 KB, 596x700) Image search: [Google]
comis2_by_gimesama-d9x35ua.png
251 KB, 596x700
>>2024909
>>2024912
Urge to add zootopia references rising.
>>
>>2024919
Don't go too obvious with them. Also, don't go DANGEROUSLY CHEESY like Zootopia did.
>>
>>2024932
But anon I've given them all pun names. It's already too late.
>>
>>2024889
They are, retard. It's called reading-between-the-line subtext.
>>
>>2024957
>"Hey, guys, we're banging each other"
>subtext
Come on now.
>>
>>2024958
Why you feel the need to lie to defend your opinion, I will never know. The author confirmed in an interview that they're lesbians, so it's not like there's any need to defend their "not straight" status. But if you honestly can't distinguish between text and subtext, can't tell that Haruka/Michiru is subtext within the series, can't understand that subtext =/= delusion, then I have nothing to say to you.

>What are your relationship?
>Hm~ I wonder.
>>
>>2024968
While I can kind of see what you're trying to say, in as far as some works never QUITE come out and say what they're hinting at, at some point this starts turning into "they're not necessarily canon unless I see them die while having sex together to be sure they don't change their minds" levels of crazy.
>>
>>2024985
Subtext=/=not canon
>>
File: 1453832340822.jpg (183 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1453832340822.jpg
183 KB, 1920x1080
>>2024884
It's plain text.
>>
>>2024985
Are you seriously this stupid? The text lesbian in Horizon, Kanamemo, Mouretsu Pirates, etc. doesn't have on-screen sex. They're just plainly presented as a couple, like any other straight couples, without any degree of vagueness.

Haruka/Michiru is subtext. They aren't presented in a straightforward manner. You can only understand their relationship by digging through a bunch of clues. When asked by Usagi if they're a couple, they gave her a vague answer. The audiences are expected to read between the lines and understand that yes, they are a couple. The proof is that the interviewer needed to ask whether they're gay or not, in order to get a confirmation from Takeuchi Naoko. Nobody would need to ask this question if they were presented in the text manner in the first place.

Another example of subtext is Aya from Kinmoza. In the series, she exhibited lots of strong hints that she's romantically into Youko (even imagining their wedding). But it actually classified as subtext, that even one of the animators (or was it the director?) said that it's just friendship. Until Kinmoza manga author stated in an interview that Aya's feelings are of romantic nature.

If you're wondering how to distinguish between text and subtext, ask yourself this: If I have an opportunity to have an official interview with the creator, can I ask them "So how does A feel about her lover?" without confusing the creator and the listening audiences? Will they immediately know that you're talking about B, instead of looking at you in surprise?

Subtext can be intentional. Subtext can be canon. But it's different from text.
>>
The subtext/text divide is by and large a device employed by shitposters to argue that a yuri series isn't yuri.

It doesn't matter if two girls are explicitly called a couple in their series or that conclusion is left to the audience. In addition, the average "this isn't yuri nothing is yuri there will be dicks DICKS DICKS" shitposter will split enough hairs to go bald over arguing that any given relationship is "subtext" and therefore not True Yuri™ anyway.

You are, of course, free to value a relationship depending on the arbitrarily metric of whether it's subtext or text. But you probably shouldn't.
>>
>>2025063
>Until Kinmoza manga author stated in an interview that Aya's feelings are of romantic nature.
She didn't, that answer was denying that it can only be friendship is all. She said Aya herself doesn't understand whatever those feelings are friendship or something more.
>>
>feeling annoyed at japanese authors being completely unable to have gay couples kiss or confirm their relationships on screen is wrong, somehow
sasuga /u/
>>
>>2025165
It's annoying that there's so many who think that's an accurate perception.
>>
>>2025095
I just don't like people using words wrong.
>>
>>2025095
Just because it has the potential to be abused, doesn't mean it should be discarded/banned. I don't go into random threads to point out that X-Y is just subtext or whatever, but I have and will continue to use it when inquiring about a franchise in particular. I've become bored with subtext and want something where the characters are actually allowed to express their romantic interest in one another.
>>
File: 1454997333737.jpg (70 KB, 353x598) Image search: [Google]
1454997333737.jpg
70 KB, 353x598
ITT
>>
>>2025095
>some people misuse this word
>we should ban this word!
Your argument is weak at best, and pathetic at worst. Do you also want to ban people from using the word "literally" just because some faggots use it to mean "figuratively"?

Be precise. Understand the definition of a word, and use it accordingly. This is all for the sake of accuracy and simplifying communication. Are you not annoyed at Mugino for keep claiming series XYZ to be yuri, when all it has are girls within spitting distance? Well, you're doing the same thing as him if you incorrectly say a subtext series is text.
>>
>>2025253
What are the correct unambiguous definitions of subtext and text?
>>
>>2025063
>When asked by Usagi if they're a couple, they gave her a vague answer
That's because they weren't a couple at the time, duh. After they do become one, they make constant references to sleeping together and everyone treats them as a couple.

I can tell you're the same shitposter from before, so I probably shouldn't bother, though.
>>
>>2025257
>Subtext is any content of a creative work which is not announced explicitly in the dialogue or narration, but is implicit or becomes something understood by the observer of the work as the production unfolds. Subtext can also refer to the thoughts and motives of the characters which are only covered in an aside. Subtext can also be used to imply controversial subjects without specifically alienating people from the fiction, often through use of metaphor. Especially in light of their inherently ambiguous and self-referential character, many authors have explicitly used subtexts (or subtexts about subtexts) in humor.
>Subtext is content underneath the dialogue. Under dialogue, there can be conflict, anger, competition, pride, showing off, or other implicit ideas and emotions. Subtext is the unspoken thoughts and motives of characters—what they really think and believe.
>>
>>2025259
>REFERENCES to skeeping together
>TREAT them as a couple instead of calling either one the other's girlfriend like any normal couple would
>not aware of how different they are presented in comparison to other actual text couples, such as Usagi/Tuxedo
You're quite a mule, aren't you?
>>
If the dev who keeps spamming >>2025225 would post in this thread, someone might actually talk about his game instead of being irritated and smacking the report button again.
>>
>>2025253
I'm not saying that text/subtext is misused, I'm saying that the text/subtext distinction doesn't matter. It isn't a good gauge of whether a series is yuri, and neither is it a good gauge of whether a series is good, but it's thrown around left, right and center nonetheless. That is silly.

I can see people being anxious whether a supposed couple is really, undeniably confirmed to be one, or being disappointed that authors are unwilling to outright pronounce their characters as gay. But using it to judge the worth of a series is ridiculous.
>>
File: 004.jpg (473 KB, 753x1200) Image search: [Google]
004.jpg
473 KB, 753x1200
>>2025279
>>REFERENCES to skeeping together
Did you expect them to fuck on screen in a children's show?

>>TREAT them as a couple instead of calling either one the other's girlfriend like any normal couple would
How do you feel about this super ambiguous page, then? The speaker is Haruka.

>not aware of how different they are presented in comparison to other actual text couples, such as Usagi/Tuxedo
Aside from there being no kiss, they aren't presented any differently.
>>
>>2025279
>>not aware of how different they are presented in comparison to other actual text couples, such as Usagi/Tuxedo
You mean, like, the way that Haruka and Michiru actually live together and have an active sexual relationship, unlike Usagi/Mamoru?

That's why it was being compared to the hair-splitting "not yuri" nonsense. Not because subtext means non-canon, but because people start throwing up arbitrary barriers of what is and isn't text, because they somehow feel it's Not Enough To Count.

Rather than fixate on the definition of subtext which not everyone may agree with you on, you might get better results asking about _concrete details_ in new works you're worried about.
>>
>>2025288
>But using it to judge the worth of a series is ridiculous.
I don't see why it's ridiculous. It's one thing if the game/book/show/whatever has a bigger plot and lesbians are just a part of it, like, say, big RPG games. They have enough "meat" to sustain themselves, like gameplay, story or interactions between other characters, and therefore can be enjoyed even if they aren't /u/ enough.

It's another thing completely if you're talking about something that has romance as a focus. I, personally, have no desire to watch characters beat around the bush for several hours and in the end reach no conclusion. The sheer amount of series that are based around subtext makes me nauseated, and if I see something that focuses on relationships and character development but is subtextual in nature, I'm going to deem it subjectively bad.
>>
>>2025302
It is ridiculous because it's an unreliable metric at best, because your opinion on what counts as text may not agree with other people's (see >>2025291), and because you can always ask "does this series have actual relationships or do they just beat around the bush" instead of getting into the whole text/subtext mess.

Also note that this initial argument began with YnnK, a game with actual gameplay, a larger (but very yuri-related) plot, and characters that are undeniably lesbians. Whether it's subtext or not doesn't matter for this game, but it got asked anyway, as though a line of text saying "okay so these people are a couple" would make or break the game. And this indeed is ridiculous.
>>
>>2025312
That's why I said "subjectively bad".
And "beating around the bush" is basically the definition of subtext.
>>
>>2025279
You clearly never even heard of these characters, because lol, you have no fucking clue about how canon portrayed them.

Neither the canon nor the author beat around the bush at all.
>>
Can we have a yuri danshi edit of this thread, please?
>>
>>2025313
>And "beating around the bush" is basically the definition of subtext.

No. Stop.
>>
>>2025324
Yes.
>>
>>2025319
Keep that hetshit away.
>>
>new released games to play and talk about
>everyone shitposts instead
>>
So....a really great year for Yuri fans. Nights of Azure in English. Kindred Spirits in English. Flowers in English. Akaiito finally got a (almost) full translation patch. Probably the best in awhile.
>>
>>2025336
We're the people who can't afford a ps4 or understand moon. We have to get our kicks somehow.
>>
File: 1443928496272.jpg (252 KB, 1128x1544) Image search: [Google]
1443928496272.jpg
252 KB, 1128x1544
>>2025338
Feels great.
>>
>>2025338
There's also MangaGamer acknowledging that yuri is one of the most requested genres, so there's a good chance that we're getting another title in the west.
Now if only we got a new release date for Starlight Vega, it would be perfect.
>>
File: Michiru x Haruka doughter 02.jpg (195 KB, 750x1159) Image search: [Google]
Michiru x Haruka doughter 02.jpg
195 KB, 750x1159
>>2025279
i came here to save sailor moon!
>>
>>2025338
>Flowers in English
Still haven't quite got their demo entirely fixed.
>>
File: 1436603705145.png (249 KB, 967x1400) Image search: [Google]
1436603705145.png
249 KB, 967x1400
>>2025360
>Starlight Vega
>>
>>2025389
The lack of any news on the delay is starting to become disconcerting. I thought they would say something by now.
>>
>>2025391
I wonder what could cause such a big delay, especially considering that the announcement was posted on the very same day the game was supposed to come out. The dev's twitter account has been silent for a week, too.
>>
>>2025391
I was super looking forward to it as well.
>>
Are any of these downloadable to android?
>>
If you guys are looking for short games to kill time with and can into moon, this guy's games are pretty entertaining and almost all of them feature lesbians (low yuri rating means that it's not the focus).
http://laineus.com/game/
>>
File: Adieu.webm (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Adieu.webm
3 MB, 1920x1080
I bet this just fueled the fire for the ship.
>>
>>2025426
They really are cute together. Ever since the first trailer before and Tracer was messing with her. Even if Widowmaker is/could be pulling a (potential) Shaw.
>>
File: 1457144665479.png (154 KB, 540x264) Image search: [Google]
1457144665479.png
154 KB, 540x264
>>2025338
>Flowers in English
It could have been in esperanto.
It wouldn't make a difference.
>>
>>2025338
let's hope hakuai gets translated
>>
>>2025468
The way things are heading they are turning into the Kigo of videogames.

Also shouldn't Tracer have been way more pissed at Widow for what she did or is it possible she knows her from when she was still Amelie and that's why she threw the "Why would you do this?!" at her the way she did?
>>
>>2025501
Sounds like the latter but who knows. It is a weird delivery.
>>
>>2025338
And a terrible year for purity fags
Why can't I just enjoy yuri "becuz its hawt dude double the boobs" like so many people?
>>
>>2025503
It's not farfetched. Widow was married to a member of Overwatch.
>>
>>2025426
I can still see her ass.
>>
>>2025397
>what could cause such a big delay
Most likely it was nowhere near ready but through inexperience the dev thought they could make it somehow, and now they don't want to post anything for fear of looking like an idiot or being called out on their sloppy project management.

>>2025505
>And a terrible year for purity fags
Maybe you meant something other than purityfag, because I'd be the first to call myself that and there's nothing in the post you've replied to that would hurt my purityfag sensibilities. By defintion the purityfag's enemies aren't fanservice or sex, it's het.
>>
>>2025505
None of those titles are fanservice-heavy and afaik only KS has some (really mild) sex scenes.
>>
>>2025505
I think you have a heavy misunderstanding of what "purityfag" means. It's a word solely used for "no het interfering the yuri at any point, either emotionally or sexually."

Hating fanservice means you're an Ericow, not a purityfag.

Yurirei has no fanservice. The sex scenes in there are important development, focus on the interpersonal growth aspect, as opposed to shoehorned sex scenes in most eroge where it could be cut out entirely and still doesn't affect the story. The latter is fanservice.
>>
>>2025621
Even Ericow liked KS. Perhaps that anon doesn't want anything even remotely sexual to happen in his yuri?
>>
>>2025621
>It's a word solely used for "no het interfering the yuri at any point, either emotionally or sexually."
Er, it has a main use that isn't particularly related to yuri.
>>
>>2025621
>It's a word solely used for "no het interfering the yuri at any point, either emotionally or sexually."

Nah, usually it's used when het is even remotely mentioned (either in past or some other way) and purityfags start their REEEEEE crying.
>>
>>2025626
Ericow likes Yurirei because, like I said, it has zero fanservice. That anon just retardedly misusing the word purityfag.

>>2025627
We're talking about yuri. And within a yuri context, purityfag has a very specific meaning that is widely understood. Also, you sure you aren't mixing it up with vanillafag?

>>2025630
Can't you read? "At any point."
>>
>>2025634
>We're talking about yuri. And within a yuri context, purityfag has a very specific meaning that is widely understood. Also, you sure you aren't mixing it up with vanillafag?
The meaning it has in the context of het can apply in the context of yuri. Like if someone was bothered by Karin in Hitori no Qualia having had girlfriends before Makiri it'd be right to say they were a purityfag.
>>
I swear this is the fourth semantics debate I've seen on /u/ this week. What the fuck is up, is it a smarter than usual troll or has the anal pedant (is that the right word? Fuck it) level gone up recently?
>>
>>2025621
"Purityfags" are people who don't like their objects of interest being "soiled" by other characters, no matter whether they are male or female. That's how it's been for years and that definition still applies when you're talking about yuri, as a lot of p/u/rityfags consider characters who had previous relationships "impure".
Then there is also a part where some purityfags consider character having sex at all impure, even it's two characters who have never been in relationships with anyone but each other having sex in the bed with lights turned on in a missionary position while holding hands, and they also get triggered by that, but that falls into the category of puritywaifufags.
>>
>>2025643
>Not on /u/, at least.
It actually can, though it's often seen as preferring fluff to a ridiculous degree over anything else.
>>
>>2025634
>disliking fanservice
The hilarious thing being that as another lesbian ten years of anime has conditioned me to not only expect, but enjoy fanservice.
>>
>>2025643
>No, not really.
Yes really. As I said, puirtyfagging isn't only limited to yuri. And even if we're talking about purity-yurifags, there are people who don't like characters that had love interests in the past. It's not unheard of.

>Not on /u/
You haven't been hanging out around general threads much, have you.
>>
>>2025634
>Can't you read? "At any point."
But usually it's not even interfering with yuri, it just could be like a character mentioning she had a sex with a man in the past.
>>
>>2025806
That's interfering.
>>
>>2025810
How?
>>
>>2025810
"Interfering" usually means it would cause trouble for the relationship in the HERE AND NOW.
>>
>>2025806
>being this obtuse
Being interested in a dude or having sex with a dude, at any point, to a purityfag, is unacceptable for a yuri character. Get it now?

A big percentage of purityfags do not care if there's a male rival trying to compete for a girl (thus actually interfering the ongoing yuri romance), as long as that girl never register him, never let him touch her, and end up with the other girl. In fact, I daresay most purityfags enjoy this kind of scenario just like the rest of yurifags.
>>
File: 1455253688880.jpg (108 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1455253688880.jpg
108 KB, 1280x720
>>2025806
Absolutely disgusting.
>>
>>2025817
Isn't it rather common for lesbians to only figure out they don't like dudes after having had sex with one?
Women work a little differently than men in that regard. Sure doesn't really relate to the purityfags but those people have unrealistic expectations anyway.
>>
>>2025829
No.
>>
>>2025829
A lot do, a lot don't. Lots of gay guys had sex with women before, too.

That said, outside of two dedicated crybaby shitposters, I haven't seen people give a damn if a character had sex with a man in the past before. Most major yuri couples have a lesbian character in it that was with a guy once, or even had sex with one. Nobody cares. Utena is still one of the most popular yuri girls for a reason.

People only care if the guy gets into the way in the story right now, because it's boring to read.
>>
>>2025829
Who cares
anime =/= real life
>>
>>2025831
>Most major yuri couples have a lesbian character in it that was with a guy once
>Most major
lol no, maybe 20 years ago but not now
>>
>>2025834
Name me some MAJOR yuri couples from the "now".
And if you say NanoFate or ShizNat those are 12 years old!
>>
Can we please stay on topic?
>>
>>2025817
so much this.
>>
>>2025806
It all depends how it's shown, if the character only mentions it, no one really cares, but if it's full chapter of flashback with the female character being shown fully having sex with a guy then it's a bit different thing, at least for me.

I could say I'm more in a group of fans who doesn't like to see any kind of heterosexul fucking of the yuri main girls with guys to be shown in the work, but I don't mind side non-yuri characters to do it in the work for variety purpose. I don't mind past relationships as long they stay in the past without visuals.
>>
>>2025836
What is a major yuri couple? your favorite couple? my gavorite couple? Better name a recent VN, anime, game, anyshit when the a girl actually had sex with a guy once.

Kitsushibushi (don't even know how to write it)? it worked perfect right?
>>
>>2025829
fuck off.
>>
>>2025829
>3DPD
>>
>>2025829
>Women work a little differently than men in that regard.
I wouldn't say that, it's more that a social pressure does that to them. A woman is expected at some age to do it with a guy to show that she became an adult or that she is not weird or strange, especially if we will take your standard high school time into account, and many being pressured by their families or friends, just give up and then feel miserable after.

I don't remember reading any study which would point in the direction where it would state that gay guys don't need confirmation with opposite sex to find themselves while lesbian girls need to do it, it all depends on individuals, every case is different.

And as we will take fiction in account, the only limitation on how the girls realisation happens is author own way of thinking which many times heavily influence the created lesbian/bisexual characters.
>>
>>2025829
None of the lesbians I know IRL (5, all are average to moderately pretty, not fat, "straight-looking") had ever gone out nor done it with a dude. There is also one bi girl who had never had sex, despite having dated 2 guys.
>>
>>2025889
Are you me?
>>
>>2025889
And so many writers use that trope like it is the end-all-be-all for lesbian awakening. Where are all the girls who thought they wouldn't be with anyone until they discovered girls were an option?
>>
>>2025896
1. They can't comprehend that a lesbian can naturally know her orientation just like straight people or gay men could.
2. They know that but just like using the "must experiment with guy" trope as drama. Other similar offensive tropes are dead lesbians, raped lesbians, and abused-by-men-thus-turned-lesbians.
>>
>>2025836
TsubaMaria kind of exploded in popularity last year, more than the series' main couple ever had, and may well become one of the classics if Symphogear continues its own popularity growth. Then there's always HomuMado, but that's already half a decade old too.
>>
>>2025896
It's a good old "I'm not gay but I like you" trope.
>>
File: hakuai.png (907 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
hakuai.png
907 KB, 1280x720
HakuAi < ShiroKoi

In some ways it's easier to enjoy, such as Asuka being a more comical protagonist than Kaori, but it's just not very good at anything more serious or it doesn't have the confidence to commit to trying. It ends up in routes with mostly outlandish plots told a bit perfunctorily. Stuff like the yandere elements and bad ends are amusing, but ShiroKoi got more than that out of its messed up aspects.
>>
>>2025911
>lesbians can never die
>>
>>2026097
Don't be dumb.
>>
>>2026083

I've a hard time imagining HakuAi managing to be worse than the 3 chapters of Shirokoi I've read.

The first chapter was quite nice. The heroines are kinda.. bad, or uninteresting or whatever, but the scenario was well done. Afterwards it collapses though. It COMPLETELY lost focus and just gave random scenes about random things, including random scolding about stuff you never saw happening for the sake of adding, or recycling some random "drama". It was just bad, especially seeing how well the whole thing was done in chapter 1.
And then chapter 3 comes and.. let's just say that new character just kills whatever little was left.

Well anyway. How long is the common route in HakuAi? I know I only got through like half of it in Shirokoi, and it felt already too long, as nothing ever happened starting from chapter 2. (Which is damn sad in many ways, but again. Chapter 1 worked so well. What the hell happened?)
>>
>>2026083
I'm about 1 hour into Shirokoi and 2 hours into Hakuai right now. We'll see if your assessment is true, since Shirokoi is boring me (hence my stalling and deciding to start Hakuai before finishing it). It's true that Asuka is more comical than Kaori, but there's also more interesting interpersonal chemistry going on. I immediately got fascinated with Nao, Sakuya, and Itsuki, and maybe Kaede too when I see her more. In Shirokoi, I keep dreading "ugh, is this one of my romance options?"
>>
>>2026101
You might well be okay with getting through HakuAi. Like I say, it's easier to enjoy.

>>2026104
I was pretty optimistic for HakuAi for a lot of the common route too.

If I'd played just early-mid of the common route of each, I'd say HakuAi was better.
>>
>>2025841
>What is a major yuri couple? your favorite couple? my gavorite couple?
I'd say major in this case are couples that come easily to mind when the topic yuri is brought up. You know Haruka/Michiru, Fate/Nanoha and so on. So major basically = famous.
>>
>>2026125
Fuck off. This has nothing to do with vidya.
>>
>>2025501
>>2025503
>"Why would you do this?!" thing
I think it's more like she's a little naive perhaps? Or wants to see the good in people and wants to know why. It also could be before the game takes place. First confrontation perhaps? I don't know. I don't follow the game.
>>2025506
Possible, but it's not mentioned when Tracer was in the Overwatch program and Widowmaker as well. They also have a 7 year difference, could've been talked about after Widowmaker killed her husband though that Tracer came into the program.
>>
>>2026164
Widowmaker herself was pretty much a housewife to her husband, so she wasn't in Overwatch herself, but she might have known some of the agents. As for Tracer if we go by the group shot she was already an agent when Pharah's mother was still in Overwatch. I like to think that Tracer was actually part of the team that rescued Widowmaker when she was still Amelie and kidnapped by Talon to become their manchurian agent.

On another not Alive takes place before the game, because the site of the assassination is an actualy stage in the game and there's a photo of the robot guy there as well as comments by Tracer, Widowmaker and that robot monk dude.
>>
I would love to see Kotomi (solfege), Nagisa (shirokoi) and Kyouko (hakuai) together.
>>
>>2026177
>I like to think that Tracer was actually part
And that's when she got a crush on her and tries to reverse the 'neural reconditioning' by joking around or something like that? (Hypothetically) Can you even reverse something like that?
>>
>>2026235
I'm not a psychologist, but I think since it's fiction it should be OK. I mean isn't she kinda like Bucky from Winter Soldier in this regard?

Also I think if something has made Tracer determined to try to break it it was Widowmaker's actions in Alive, seeing how Tracer looks at her there >>2025426
If they knew each other beforehand it might have just been the straw that broke the camels back for her that the person she knew truly is gone or just buried deep withitn it.
>>
>>2026267
I guess, plus the world isn't so dark that it can't happen (from what little I've seen, it's a little Disney perhaps?)

Man, I can't wait to see what they'll do in PoI since it finally has a date for it to air. Almost 90% that one of them will die.
>>
>>2026083
Hakuai had a great common route up to the end of the cultural festival when THAT happened. Then plot kicked in the writers went full-retard with how everything was executed. I wouldn't be surprised if Nao's seiyuu was looking at her lines during the climax in her route and wondering, "what the hell am I reading".

The writer really wasn't good at writing drama. It's such a shame because I loved the common route and Asuka remained a great MC throughout the entire game. All the heroines were really likeable too.

Also, Sakuya best girl. Thank you based Tamura Yukari.
>>
>>2026425
>Almost 90% that one of them will die.
I dunno, if they wanted to take that route, surely they could have killed Shaw off when her actress got pregnant.
>>
>>2026429
They left her alive because the actress wanted to continue being in the show and the writers also like her. They have said a few times that if a death is good for the show, they'll do it. Originally it was John who was going to die, but because Sarah Shahi got pregnant they went that route. They've also said time and time again that they won't all survive, and considering the chips and how long they had her, I'm almost certain that someone will die.

Like in Widowmaker's case. I don't discount the fact that she could be working them from the inside, but if there was no chip involved I would rate the probability be lower for one (or both) of them dying. As it is, Root is in the highest percentage to die, as is Harold. There isn't a PoI thread on here is there?
>>
>>2026427
>Also, Sakuya best girl. Thank you based Tamura Yukari.

>Sakuya
>not Kyouko
>>
>>2026480
Kyouko is an exemplification of what went wrong with the writing by barely existing beyond serving crazy plot twists.
>>
I enjoyed HakuAi a lot. Just take the plot for what it is and don't make sense of it. The peeing part is probably the only thing I can't forgive. Anyway, have fun with it. If you want a more serious plot, go for Tokyo Necro or Flowers. And yes. Sakuya for best girl.

And Kogado really needs to compile all the bonus short stories from goods bonuses in a book somewhere.

Shirokoi focuses a lot more on the nursing aspect, and might be a bit more boring because of that... I really didn't like the two younger patients, but found the other 4 absolutely charming.

I'm just glad the director is a huge yuri fan who focuses on less traditional yuri settings.
>>
>>2026637
>And Kogado really needs to compile all the bonus short stories from goods bonuses in a book somewhere.

If you buy the pc game you'll get the compilation booklet (bonus stories from vita + web stories compiled in one book)
>>
>>2026644
There are a few more stories that were released after the pc ver. I just bought a pack of 6 expired marshmallows for the SS tokuten last month. There's also the Nao thumb drive which contains some bonus digital stuff... I think there's a short story in there somewhere too?
>>
So recently (I think in December) Aoishiro was butchered on mobile, turning it into some proto-light novel. Really think Success was being fricken lazy when they decided to do this.

http://renta.papy.co.jp/renta/sc/frm/item/88120/

Wonder if any other VN'S will do this for a quick buck
>>
>>2026647
>proto
Word you're looking for is "pseudo."
>>
>>2026646
>just bought a pack of 6 expired marshmallows for the SS tokuten last month.

Appreciate if you can share it, I missed the chance to buy it.

I bought Nao usb and it only contains few wallpapers and one text file.

Here you go

http://pastebin.com/6G3FwtMV
>>
>>2024836

Sauce of pic? I tried iqdb, sauceNAO and google images already.
>>
>>2026647
I'm just glad it has any form of activity at all. I'm that desperate for a sequel.

Dear success, Akaiito really needs a pc port. It does not deserve to die with the ps2/ps3 platforms. A grand route may no longer be possible, but I hope a pc version is released to preserve the excellent work done by the late Matsuki Miyu, and of course the masterpiece that it is.
>>
>>2026668
Tsui Yuri
>>
>>2026668
Tsui yuri. It has its own thread on /u/ but I'm on mobile and am too lazy to go find it for you.
>>
>>2026668
>>2026673
>>2024096
>>
File: 005 - 1HtVXit.jpg (118 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
005 - 1HtVXit.jpg
118 KB, 800x800
>>2026672
>>2026673
>>2026675

Thank you based anon!
>>
>>2026425
>Pol
The what of what now?
>>
>>2026695
Person of Interest.
>>
>>2026637
>The peeing part is probably the only thing I can't forgive
Get a load of this pleb.
>>
>>2026699
Ah. Never heard of that to be honest. Nor how that might relate to Overwatch.
>>
>>2026637
>HakuAi
What's the full name, I find nothing by typing HakuAi into google.
>>
File: 2977035-4316884599-tumbl.jpg (73 KB, 500x337) Image search: [Google]
2977035-4316884599-tumbl.jpg
73 KB, 500x337
Apparently there's gonna be a new Fear Effect game.
>>
>>2026706
Hakuisei Aijou Izonshou (白衣性愛情依存症)
>>
>>2026707
I guess they're not gonna be assassins in the current climate.
>>
>>2026702
The backstory of Widowmaker has the potential to happen in the show. It's a really good show. It's basically a sociopath, ex-government assassin x psychopatic killer-for-hire. Though that is overly simplified and it doesn't happen for a while. As I said though, it's really fucking good.
>>
>>2026707
Is that an old-school yuri game? I've heard of the name but nothing else.
>>
>>2026707
Huh so they aim for a Shadowrun Returns type of game with Fear Effect?
I wonder if it will only be Hana and Rain.
>>
>>2026709
Thanks.
>>
>>2026713
Why not? Assassins Creed is still big
>>
>>2026729
I was referring to the tagline from the ad.
>>
File: dangle.jpg (255 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
dangle.jpg
255 KB, 1366x768
The 'Coming Soon' page for A Little Lily Princess is up:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/449250/
>>
>>2026707
Wasn't the reason the girls were in a relationship in Fear Effect 2 a setup for a FFM threesome relationship in the sequel(s) that never got made? Though it seems said game director isn't involved at all in this new Fear Effect, so we may be spared that.
>>
>>2026787
The dudes behind Fear Effect said the two girls are just "fooling around". Never bothered with it because of that.
>>
>>2026130
Neither does this thread to be honest.
These are all just picture books.
Where are the yuri platformers?
>>
>>2026744
Those chibis look fucking creepy.
>>
>>2026792
>>>/v/
>>
>>2026792
Never ever.
I'd kill for a good platformer that featured sapphic elements and sapphic endgame.
>>
>>2026792
http://store.steampowered.com/app/400910/
>>
>>2026796
How do you feature sapphic elements in a platformer? Make health pickups in form of boobs?

Although I admit, a Metroidvania with lesbians would've been fucking awesome.
>>
>>2026804
You might want to try looking at the game just mentioned >>2026797

What good does it do for people to release such games if you don't even notice?
>>
>>2026744
Huh, looks famili-

>Hanako

Sold.
>>
>>2026797
Wishlisted.
>>
File: 16345344458856248526.png (3 MB, 2666x1500) Image search: [Google]
16345344458856248526.png
3 MB, 2666x1500
Winged Cloud previewed another CG for Sakura Adventure. At this rate, I'll actually be surprised if it turns out to not be a legit yuri game.
>>
>>2026797
This better not be Irisu Syndrome.
>>
>>2026959
Rabi-Ribi
>>
>>2026951
Besides Sakura Fantasy, what other Sakura titles are pure yuri, or little yuri but no het?
>>
>>2026992
Clicker.
>>
>>2026992
The dungeon one maybe? It's probably going to end up clicker-like, lots of tits and hopefully no men visible
>>
>>2025360
MangaGamer still has The Shadows of Pygmalion in the pipeline, plus the Kindred Spirits drama CDs are supposed to start coming out one a month starting this month.
>>
>18 days since starlight vega delay

Kill me.
>>
>>2026836
The art style puts me off. Sprites look like big pixelated blobs with bunny ears.
And I don't think this game is very heavy on the plot.

I was thinking about something like Shantae, only with lillies and handholding.
Actually, no, I was thinking about something like Metroid or Cave Story, but there is no way in hell anybody is doing a /u/ Metroidvania with a darker, more serious plot and environments that don't consist of brightly lit green forests with flowers, ponies and the magic of friendship.
>>
>>2027180
>spoilers
You could just neck yourself for entertaining that thought. A dark platformer sounds awesome
>>
>>2027078
Be strong, anon.
>>
>>2026637
>I really didn't like the two younger patients
The one who goes to high school and the one who goes to nursing school, rather than the one who goes to middle school?
>>
>>2027074
>The Shadows of Pygmalion
I heard that this one isn't very yuri though. Or at least, it has no yuri end.
>>
I just want a long, high-budget yuri JRPG with unambiguously gay party members. Is it too much to ask?
>>
>>2027343
Unless you're the one providing that budget, yes.
>>
>>2027346
i hope someday a yurifag will become super rich and do it.
>>
>>2026792
I wanted to make a platforming puzzle/adventure about a catgirl robot and a feminine quiet girl but then Pandora just had to come along and sate my craving for robot catgirl lesbians.
>>
>>2027343
>unambiguously gay party members
Why a party member rather than the protagonist?
>>
>>2027358
the protagonist needs girls to be gay with.
>>
>>2027343
I just want... actually I don't know what I want. I just want more yuri. I am sure if more things were made I would retroactively know what I wanted once I found it though.

Maybe I want Stardew Valley but with more interesting dialogue, or for the Madoka psp game to be translated. At least the first one had a recent patch to make marriage better and the second is coming in a little over a month finally.

I guess the Madoka PSP game kind of fits "long yuri JRPG with gay party members and a budget" but I assume it is not what you were thinking.
>>
>>2027372
>the second is coming in a little over a month finally.
whoa, really? that's awesome.
>>
>>2027372
>Stardew Valley but with more interesting dialogue
Haven't played Stardew Valley yet. Do characters there have their own stories (comparable to, say, RF4) or are they just bland colorless NPCs like in The Elder Scrolls series?
>>
>>2027343
In many prominent JRPGs even the het romances are completely ambiguous.

Does Nights count as a JRPG?
>>
>>2027379
Isn't it literally a Japanese rpg?
>>
>>2027379
Ask yourself two questions. Is NoA an RPG? Was it made in Japan? If you answered "yes" to both questions, yes, it counts as a jRPG.

>>2027381
It is.
>>
>yuri romance in games
Without getting into arguments -
Is "But we're both girls!" no longer acceptable in games? I've heard of people complaining that it insinuates unnatural relationships even if both parties get over it.
>>
>>2027391
It's only a problem if your target audience is american, because they are overly sensitive to those issues.
>>
>>2027377

I believe so. That is what their website says.

http://www.tradukosoft.com/event/puella-magi-madoka-magica-portable-patch-v2-0/

I played some of the japanese version (without knowing jap) and I found it very fun, but I stopped since the story is at least half the game and not being able to read it sucked. It has something like a free mode that I found very fun, it is like an old school first person party dungeon crawler with some roguelike elements (soul gem purity instead of hunger) and persistent character levels. I believe you had to do the story to unlock more of the free mode levels though.

>>2027378

Somewhere between those two. The day to day dialogue is repetitive and not that interesting except for when an NPC asks you a question, which usually presents around 4 options. The event scenes with characters are much better and more interesting, but require friendship to be able to trigger (seem to trigger at 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 hearts when you enter an area with them at a certain time of day). I don't think everyone has 5 events, but the ten marriable villagers do and events for the others do exist. I believe you need to begin romance at 8 to get to 10 for the ones you can marry but I am not sure on that.

I would recommend taking note of people's birthdays and giving them objects they love on those days, as the boost in relationship you get is massive (like 3-4 hearts at once) which helps make it less grindy.

The social aspect in Stardew Valley seems like the weakest part of it to me so far, but it is alright for a harvest moon game and everything else about it is pretty great. It is also cheap and still being updated (an update added more married dialogue just two days ago, among other things) with things like 4 player coop planned.
>>
>>2027391
Not gonna lie I got tired of that
>>
File: 1453223424457.jpg (351 KB, 892x500) Image search: [Google]
1453223424457.jpg
351 KB, 892x500
>>2027391
There is a reason that trope made it into the yuri bingo. This reason being is that it's too repetitive. It might have its uses when you're working with a non-modern setting where same sex relationships aren't widespread and/or unacceptable, and "b-but we're both girls" is a legitimate reason to worry, but every time I see it in a typical highschool setting I feel an urge to maim rise inside me.

Not to mention that it's probably the most overused trope when it comes to yuri romance. At some point you just gotta stop.
>>
>>2027395
>>2027397
>>2027406
>has got to stop
Good points, thanks everyone.
>>
>>2027411
Don't trust three random persons on what could possibly be an important decision. Go with what you like. There's plenty of people here exhausted by standard yuri tropes and pretty vocal about it, but they stay popular for a reason.
>>
File: 1456769432350.png (434 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1456769432350.png
434 KB, 800x600
>>2027391
I would say it is at the very least acceptable, though some people don't like it very much due to how common it is. Some people who are in the LGBT whatever also get angry at it and think it is outdated or whatever but personally it seems fine to me as long as it does not actually stop the romance from progressing.

I like how Yurirei did it. Two couples were already established and never went through it, one girl had a (cute) breakdown over it, another girl agonized over it for four seconds after pursuing a girl for some time without even considering it, one girl knew she was gay since she was young and one girl wrote out an entire letter before realizing it was a love letter and then deciding she didn't care because she wanted to get her feelings across no matter what.

Usually the "but we're both girls" thing is just a quick short barrier from friendship to romance that is gotten over very quickly. I think it's kind of cute, like the last defense of a girl who doesn't know she is gay yet, but it is still disliked for a reason and if I read a work with a half a dozen couples in it and they all did it I would probably be pretty annoyed too.
>>
>>2027413
Reason being the absence of choice.
>>
>>2027391
I understand why people dislike it, even though it doesn't bother me. On the other side, I don't think it's a good thing to ignore that they're both girls either.

I was disappointed to know that they used the samw dialog to gay marriage for both genders in Fire Emblem Fates on west. They could ger rid of the "we're both girls" thing but write something different.

And in that setting the dialog actually made more sense.
>>
>>2027415
It's because people like them.
Decades of portraying school life hasn't worn out the trope's popularity and widespread, despite the great number of works using a different setting.
>>
>>2027419
>despite the great number of works using a different setting
Okay, points for making me laugh.

I'm not talking about the school setting here (although that, too, is a bit worn out. At least the sameness and blandness of most school settings can be brightened up by the plot and character development if the writing is good), but about "we're both girls" trope.
>>
>>2027421
So you're saying the "we're both girls" trope is popular because there aren't any works that don't use it?
I thought I was being the funny one here.
>>
>>2027419
>despite the great number of works using a different setting.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

School yuri is popular for a reason but it still makes up the vast majority of a niche genre. You could probably experience everything that is yuri and not in a school within a month or two if you tried just a little bit.
>>
>>2027343
>>2027352
The dream, but its a customizable yuri harem disguised a JRPG.
>you are a hot girl with flirtatious dialogue options
>only you can deliver The Key and save the continent
>it's a dangerous journey, but you can take a max of 7 familiars with you
>journey through the spirit world and sign the contracts
>pick from more than 7 spirits who are all very very gay for you
>can come back later and trade spirits
>channel their abilities in turn-based combat
>relationship system affects plotlines and endings
>>
>>2027422
I'm saying it's popular because it's safe and it sells.

Just like harems with Everyman McManson in the main role are popular for the same reason (and it also makes it easier to self-insert). Or generic action anime with bewbs and explosions. Or action films with same bewbs and same explosions, only with 3DPD. Or World War RTSs and FPSs. Or books about strong independent teenagers in various fantastic settings.

Usually in the genre there is a generic bland mass that's being produced because, as I said, it's safe and it sells, and then there are various products with more original concepts — either made by indie developers, smaller companies with no name to them or big studios that can allow themselves to experiment. But since yuri by itself is a niche genre, there simply isn't enough demand for a "niche within a niche" products. So on every Akai Ito there's five Sono Hanabiras.

If there was a decent amount of options to choose from, "b-but we're both girls" wouldn't be so widespread. But between no lesbians and drowning in cliche lesbians the latter is the lesser evil.
>>
>>2027413
Thanks, I was just curious if anyone was indifferent, sick of it, or didn't notice.
>>
>>2027430
>I'm saying it's popular because it's safe and it sells.
And why is it safe and sells well? Because people like it! That's my original argument. People that want to produce new things shouldn't be discouraged to shy away from what they like.

I can't disagree with anything you said (except that in SonoHana the "but we're both girls" thing doesn't apply due to being set in a world where lesbians are the norm), but you can't take on a stance of perpetual "cliche sucks" without understanding that people have been writing them for years successfully. It's true that original concepts are always great, but for every Akai Ito there's five other projects nobody even knows about because they just didn't sell.

And that's in the grand scheme of things. As >>2027414 said, this specific trope is always used just as a stepping stone, not as a blockade. It's a small detail to make things cuter, like having a stoic character blush, or having a girl dislike her breast size. Cliche and overused, yes, but simple enough to not really taint an entire work by its presence.

>>2027426
In that post I was talking about school life in general as an example, not just yuri.
>>
>>2026669
I would be down for a port, but not a sequel. There a duology of sister games, and are fine without a sequel.

Thirty hours each, with gorgeous atmosphere, excellent music, stellar voice acting, and great story. While not having as much Yuri as I would like, it's pretty damn awesome they are Yur.
>>
>>2027391
Depends on the setting of the game and the characters involved. However as a general rule on my part, I feel like it's overused and sometimes illogical to use.
>>
>>2026804
Same way Duke Nukem could be a goofy ladies man back when they still made Duke Nukem side scrolling platformers(and Duke games in general).
>>
>>2027649
I got ovaries of steel.
>>
>>2027391
Like other people had said, depending on the settings.

A historical settings, or modern but where homophobia is a point of focus, "but we're both girls" must be brought up. However, the writer should take note to not make it sound like it's an unnatural love, but more of a concern about society's repercussion (jail, capital punishment, losing job, bullying, verbal abuse, all sorts of hate crimes). Unless if the yuri character herself is homophobic or extremely religious, of course.

In a common modern settings, do not use. It's a tired trope and everybody should do their part to eradicate it.

In a fantasy settings, the general rule apply: unless homophobia is a point of focus, do not use this trope.
>>
>>2027391
When are we gonna get past the "but we're both girls" period of yuri? I wanna live in the "but that's my anus" era.
>>
>>2027656
there r actual girls in this forum?
>>
>>2027667
>r
>forum

mods
>>
>>2027078
>It shouldn't be too much longer now
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1005595766/starlight-vega-visual-novel/comments?cursor=12974103#comment-12974102
>>
>>2027217
The girls clearly like the female MC, it's just that it's more of an action story than a romance one.
>>
>>2027662
Hold the phone. There was rimming in one of the Sara - Kaede games?

And yeah, I want more rimming and butt play in my yuri VNs too.
>>
>>2027728
I've heard from some there are romantic parts to it, including kissing, but for some reason there were no CGs made for such scenes.
>>
>>2027391
One thing no one has mentioned so far with "but we're both girls" is that it is (in my opinion) completely fine if one girl thinks it when she realizes she is gay for someone and that that someone might not be gay back. I think that would be a pretty reasonable thing to consider in that situation.
>>
>>2027742
They used their CG budget on action scenes, but there are scenes of the girls being close to the MC.
>>
>>2027723
>cryptic but hopeful
I can live with that.
>>
>>2027748
What is the point of making a yuri harem VN if you can't even spare the budget on a few kissing CGs? It's one thing if it's just an action series with some subtext shit that needs goggles to imagine the lesbians getting together in the future, but if it's an action series with explicit homosexuals and kissing, then the excuse "it's mainly action" doesn't fly. It will piss off both the yurifags and the anti-yuri fags.
>>
>>2027766
>yuri harem VN
It isn't though. It was never marketed as a yuri game.
>>
>>2027766
>yuri harem VN
>with explicit homosexuals and kissing
There's only one girl romantically interested in MC.
>>
>>2027788
and she died early on if I'm not mistaken?
>>
>>2027792
I haven't played it but I'm talking about the one that confessed and MC was kinda not against it in her route but nothing definite happened in the end.
>>
File: meat action.jpg (238 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
meat action.jpg
238 KB, 1024x576
>>2027748
They used enough of their CG for yuri moments and also trivial things that the lack of kissing in CG is probably a deliberate decision.
>>
>>2027792
Wasn't that the MC's friend who doesn't have a route and turns out to be a puppet?
>>
>>2027805

Seeing how this stuff does well with anime, why not VNs? I'm surprised there isn't more of this. Guess it's because most VNs "need" adult content. Which is rather hard without explicit romance.
>>
>>2027808
You're thinking of different characters. There was more than one character romantically interested in the protag.

I don't want to get too into spoilers, but the problem wasn't exactly turning out to be a puppet.
>>
>>2027662
Anuses are disgusting.
>>
>>2027854
The anus is a miracle of the universe anon.
>>
>>2027391
I'd like to believe that people aren't so fucking touchy to be offended by something insignificant like that, but I know they are.
The actual reason that line shouldn't be used anymore is because it's been done to death. Anyone who's been reading yuri for a while should be tired of seeing it.
>>
>>2027872
It's a cliché sure, but I don't see anything to get so worked up about it.
>>
So what's the status of this Vampiress Nightmare?

https://twitter.com/Vampiress_LOVE?lang=en
>>
>>2027873
The actual specific line is a bit of an eye-roller because it's been said over and over again. On the nose cliches are annoying unless in an over the top parody and even then it can sometimes be annoying rather than a familiar hat-tip. (like people feel about memes in games generally)
>>
>>2027391
>people complaining that it insinuates unnatural relationships even if both parties get over it.
It's a hacky way of doing it, but surely no one should find it *problematic* to acknowledge the existence of internalized homophobia?
>>
>>2027766
Pygmalion likely has a darker story than your expecting.
>>
>>2027812
I think all the routes have at least some subtext IIRC. And yeah, more than 1 girl likes the MC romantically.
>>
>>2027881
I do find it problematic when the story has nothing to do with homophobia and just uses "b-but we're both girls" for drama reasons or to put off the inevitable confession. Sometimes both.
>>
Onee-samas, pls don't fight
>>
>>2027881
You can have the great "OMG I'm gay?!?" scene for character development without having to include the 'both girls' line
>>
File: 1412890077668.png (620 KB, 727x759) Image search: [Google]
1412890077668.png
620 KB, 727x759
>>2027889
>not liking a trope makes you a tumblrina
>bringing tumblr into the discussion at all
You really gotta fix that misclicking problem, /v/.
>>
>>2027887
I think "but we're both girls" is a typical response when the person getting confessed to never considered themselves as being into the same sex. Would you rather hear "but I'm not gay" everytime that situation comes up?
>>
>>2027887
Well, doesn't using the line immediately make the story about homophobia, at least a bit? But yeah, spotting that line is rarely a sign of intelligent writing.
>>
File: 0019.png (194 KB, 1238x793) Image search: [Google]
0019.png
194 KB, 1238x793
>>2027854
Love the hometown.
>>
>>2027892
"But we're both girls" sounds to me like a person has never hear of same sex relationships before. Which, as I said earlier, might be fine in a non-modern/alternative universe setting, but it just makes the dialogue sound unnatural when it's used unironically by an average character (not sheltered, amnesiac or from 1715) in a modern setting.

And I'm not sure exactly what we're talking about here. I was under the impression the original poster meant "b-but we're both girls" trope as a whole, not just the phrase.

>Would you rather hear "but I'm not gay" everytime that situation comes up?
You know, there aren't just two phrases you can use to show that the character has never considered being gay before. In fact, you can show it without saying it directly. And yes, at this point I'd much rather hear anything but "we're both girls" since if I were to have a drinking game involving it, I'd be dead in maybe three VNs.

>>2027893
It doesn't. It's often used offhandedly in various one shots and doujins. Not to mention that, as I said, you can show characters being surprised without using that line word for word.
>>
>>2027895
>And yes, at this point I'd much rather hear anything but "we're both girls" since if I were to have a drinking game involving it, I'd be dead in maybe three VNs.
I don't think it's that prominent at all. Where have you seen it?
>>
>>2027895
>since if I were to have a drinking game involving it, I'd be dead in maybe three VNs.
You're exaggerating.
>>
>>2027902
I know.
>>
>>2027895
All of this.

>>2027893
>doesn't saying that line make it about homophobia, at least a bit?
No. The story would need more than that to qualify being "a bit about homophobia," such as the girl being confessed to had been shown to be religious/homophobic, or the environment they're living in is shown to be dangerous for gay people. If the whole story makes no mention about it at all, and the writer drops that line, it just makes the character sound trite.

There are various ways to convey the same sentiment without making it sound stupid:
- "S-She's in love with me! She's gay! How do I feel about this??"
- "I'm sorry but I'm too surprised, I don't know what to think."
- "I never expected to be confessed to by a girl."

And other variations.
>>
>>2027912
I think Japan does the "we're both girls" line to make it sound taboo. I think its continued use is intentional. Plus, Japan as a whole isn't exactly open minded about homosexual relationships to begin with, and the society does come across as pretty sheltered on the subjects of love and sex.
>>
>>2027914
> I think Japan does the "we're both girls" line to make it sound taboo.

They do it as a knowing wink to the existing yuri audience; it's just like putting lilies in the background or having characters be genre-savvy about onee-samas and whatnot.
>>
>>2027914
I don't think you understand what I meant at all.

I know that homosexuality is not something widely accepted, and certainly do not want writers to gloss over that aspect entirely as if we're living in a world where 50% of the population is gay (unless it's an alternated reality setting, of course). However, the problem with that line is that it implies the character has no idea gays exist. It's a really poor choice of words. In reality, even sheltered Japanese (or Middle Easterns) know that gays exist. If they're unexpectedly presented with a gay person in front of their eyes, their words of astonishment would be something else, not "but we're both girls."
>>
File: 1455909310928.png (507 KB, 754x492) Image search: [Google]
1455909310928.png
507 KB, 754x492
>>2027912
>- "S-She's in love with me! She's gay! How do I feel about this??"
>- "I'm sorry but I'm too surprised, I don't know what to think."
>- "I never expected to be confessed to by a girl."

Honestly those just sound worse to me. Especially the first one. "But we're both girls!" is more of something blurted out of embarrassment rather than a logical observation regarding the situation you are in. I feel like a few people in this thread don't get that. It's not like the person saying it doesn't think gay people exist or something (well, except for those times they somehow really don't), they just only heard about such things in passing and never truly considered it, then suddenly out of nowhere someone confesses to them and it hits them like a brick wall.

I don't know a better phrase either, though. What else could you possibly say in that situation if it happening was a thought that never occurred to you beforehand? What else would fit your current panicked state of mind better than "But girl plus girl is taboo" the moment you realize what your friend just said?

This is assuming you didn't plan your confession to them on the exact same day and immediately said yes of course.
>>
>>2027922
>However, the problem with that line is that it implies the character has no idea gays exist

How do you know it actually implies that? Are you an expert of the Japanese language and its countless intricate subtleties?
>>
>>2027922
Using 女の子同士 to express that it would be a lesbian relationship doesn't really imply that they didn't know such things existed.

I wonder if this is like how people have a problem with "It can't be helped." in that it's something that stands out as an odd cliche in translation.
>>
>>2027931
>trying for something blurted out of embarrassment rather than logical
I know, Captain Obvious. And it didn't stop it from sounding stupid/trite. Those poor choice of words didn't have the intended effect at all.

And I don't know how come you feel those example alternatives to be worse, since they're words that real life people actually think/mutter on the spot when they're surprised by gay. I once tricked a normalfag into reading a yuri manga without telling her what it is, her words when she reached the yuri part was not "but aren't they both girls???" but instead "what? she's gay???"

>>2027932
>>2027933
I can, in fact, into moon. 女の子同士 is very much what it sounds like. When you make the character say this line, whether intentional or not, you have transported her at least 50 years back in time.

I don't have all day to repeat this point over and over. Keep in mind that you want to make your characters sound more intelligent/realistic, avoid it. Use something else for the intended embarrassed blurting.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 49

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.