[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Simoun
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /u/ - Yuri

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 26
Since Simoun was being talked about alot on the general thread, I thought it would be prudent to make this.
>>
Posting best couple right off the bat, huh? Fine with me.
>>
>>2072357
My favorite part about the pairing is we get to see the relationship blossom to full on romantic love when limone is nineteen so sweet...
>>
>>2072357
Where is her hand going? Isn't that forbidden?
>>
File: ziyu4Vu.png (747 KB, 855x475) Image search: [Google]
ziyu4Vu.png
747 KB, 855x475
>>
File: 13544401.jpg (145 KB, 710x710) Image search: [Google]
13544401.jpg
145 KB, 710x710
>>2072370
It's okay, they're both maidens.
>>
Is the woman really in love with the child? Or is it only fan shippong?
>>
>>2072388
At first they're just piloting partners but they do eventually become a couple when the loli grows up a bit
>>
>>2072388
There was a shot of her and the loli lying naked together under the blanket in between one of the episodes.
>>
>>2072422
pics or it didn't happen
>>
>>2072357
Holy shit, are they high resolution DVD covers? From where? Please post the rest including the """""""men"""""""
>>
>>2072413
About how much was 'a bit'? Couple of hours?
>>
File: 97adf216-s.jpg (38 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
97adf216-s.jpg
38 KB, 480x270
U meen this pic ?
>>
>>2072436
Few years.
>>
>>2072388
That "woman" is just 19 years old, and the child is 12, so the age gap isn't as big as it looks. They're also only shown as a couple after a timeskip, although they have cute moments together during the series too.
>>
File: 1266822112977.jpg (279 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1266822112977.jpg
279 KB, 1920x1080
>>2072441
>>
>>2072350
>tfw one of them will become a guy after graduation
>>
>>2072464
I'm guessing you haven't seen the show, then.
>>
>>2072469
That's the world's rules in Simoun. It's all about gender bender. Not yuri.
>>
>>2072473
So still no, then.
>>
I personally liked this anime a lot. I watched it so many years ago, I think it was my third or fourth yuri anime (first was Kannazuki no Miko and then Strawberry Panic). And I remember having such a positive overall impression about the entire work, a sensation that rarely appeared again after watching others yuri anime. Yurikuma Arashi is a masterpiece tho. Back to Simoun, I think it's the only good example that managed to fuse together gender exploration, action, interesting plot, multiple characterization and yuri. It was such a complex and complete work that makes you wonder why today's anime are so banal and flat. Deep yuri anime times are gone.
>>
>>2072431
They're all on yande.re and have been for years.
>>
>>2072458
Is she actually only 19 though? How long was it since chor dextra was dissolved?
>>
File: pic9.jpg (123 KB, 871x494) Image search: [Google]
pic9.jpg
123 KB, 871x494
>>2072547
The characters' ages are listed in their profiles in the official website, which amazingly still exists to this day.
>simoun.tv
>>
>>2072551
Huh, what do you know.
>>
>>2072473
No its not you moron. Youve never seen the show so shut up. that couple never goes to the spring. [\spoiler] You people think everything are het bait are very very sad
>>
File: neviril-paraietta.jpg (271 KB, 683x1000) Image search: [Google]
neviril-paraietta.jpg
271 KB, 683x1000
I preferred Neviril-Paraietta to Neviril-Aeru, but at the same time I'm glad of Neviril and Aeru's growth as characters and how it ended for them.
>>
>>2072645
Didn't Paraietta try and rape Neviril? Aeru and Nerviril was so much better.
>>
File: 1306747451776.jpg (505 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
1306747451776.jpg
505 KB, 1280x1024
>>2072647
She did, although she repented of it almost immediately. Paraietta was always the most brash of the lot.

Anyway, nice to see a Simoun thread. So sad the show gets so little remembrance. I really consider it one of the best anime ever made in terms of thoughtful, believable characterization and storytelling, but despite that it seems almost lost to history. Only we honor it now.
>>
Dammit, I'm finally going to finish this show. Wish me luck.
>>
Music is fucking amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO5cjevq1CQ

Goes from decent, to god-like at 00:48
>>
File: galeye26a.jpg (87 KB, 704x396) Image search: [Google]
galeye26a.jpg
87 KB, 704x396
>>2072668
Goddesspeed, Anon. Simoun, more than any other show I know, is a carefully plotted build-up to the release of its full power and meaning in the finale.
>>
>>2072541
I actually liked this pairing.
>>
>>2072684
Kaimu was the most annoying character in the show though.
>>
>>2072350 >>2072357
Man, this couldn't air now, certain people would be screaming how Dominura/Limone is pedophilia and that shipping them is the equivalent of raping a child. Good thing they were babbies when this aired.
>>
>>2072702
Well, they had a mother-daughter relationship that full blossomed to romantic love when Limone was old enough. I see nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>2072711
>a mother-daughter relationship
Huh? Their relationship changes a lot during the series, but at no point I would describe it like that.
When Dominura first arrives she's full on domineering, thinking she can easily take charge of Limone and shape her into whatever she wants. But because of Aaeru's influence, Limone turns feisty and makes Dominura shit her pants in the back seat of their Simoun. After this it seems for a while that Limone doesn't like her. But later there's that adorable scene when Limone kisses Dominura on the cheek to cheer her up and Dominura sort of melts over it. I don't remember who suggested her to do that, but it was a great idea.
Later when Dominura recovers from her emotional breakdown, there's that scene where she gives Limone this little speech and then touches her face in a way that makes Limone blush. It was just some face touching but it looked really sexual somehow.
When they go to the past and Dominura is really unsure of herself and what to do, Limone says things to reassure her.
After the timeskip they seem like equals and totally dedicated to each other.
>>
>>2072702
>people
I don't think Japan really cares about tumblr.
>>
>>2072688
>Kaimu
What a funny way to spell Neviril.
>>
>>2072756
Neviril was one of the best, along with her lover.
>>
>>2072758
She was a self-pitying indecisive shit who got Mamiina killed. Aaeru was pretty badass.
>>
>>2072762
Mamiina got herself killed. All she had to do was stay on the fricken ship. But nooo, she had to jump off!
>>
>>2072766
Jump off? She got shot by the highlands priestesses in exchange for them letting Neviril go and so they wouldn't get punished. Best girl too good.
>>
>>2072769
Weren't they willing to sacrifice themselves for her? Mamiina voluntary choose to stay behind,
>>
>>2072771
>and so they wouldn't get punished
>>
>>2072771
>Weren't they willing to sacrifice themselves for her?
They were, but Mamiina wasn't cool with that.
Mamiina and Neviril ended up in that situation in the first place because the military took control of the Chor and rearranged the pairs as they saw fit with no regard for compatibility.
>>
>>2072702
Yeah, Kill la Kill certainly proved that mother-daughter incest is anathema to the tumblr crowd. (?????)
>>
>>2072814
What did Aaeru's grandfather do again that they refused to let her fly with Neviril?
>>
>>2072664
>So sad the show gets so little remembrance. I really consider it one of the best anime ever made in terms of thoughtful, believable characterization and storytelling, but despite that it seems almost lost to history. Only we honor it now.

That's not really true. It gets a lot of positive press here and elsewhere for a show that aired so long ago, in a niche combination of genres, with no possibility of any continuation. I'd say it's more like a cult classic.

It gets brought up regularly in "must watch" threads and recommendation charts on /u/ and it gets mentioned on /a/ whenever they manage to have a proper yuri thread or a discussion about Okada. It's not just 4chan either, there's plenty of yuri blogs and stuff that have it on lists of great yuri shows.

As for best anime ever made, I don't know. On the one hand, it's got so many obvious flaws, starting with the cheapass production values. On the other, it's so fucking good at the things it does do right. And personally, I don't think there's any show that's stuck with me as long or as hard as Simoun has since I watched it all those years ago.
>>
File: simoun_eyecatch_22b.jpg (58 KB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
simoun_eyecatch_22b.jpg
58 KB, 853x480
>>2072851
After watching this show all the way thru about 13 times I can agree with a few things you said. I actually /do/ think it's one of the best anime ever made and it's on my top 5 favourite anime of all time. It's not even b/c of the yuri, although that's obviously a definite plus. It weaves a story that, at times seems very, very disjointed and hard to follow, but, probably around ep 8 or so, starts to get really, really good and starts to cohese together quite nicely and weave a very complicated, intricate, and exquisite storyline.

I hate/love it when somebody starts to talk about or post screenshots from it where I have to go look at the episode it came from, b/c if I do that, I'm going to end up marathoning the entire thing.... again...

Anyway, the best kiss in the entire show was between these 2 kek
>>
File: eyecatch.jpg (268 KB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
eyecatch.jpg
268 KB, 853x480
Underrated pairing.
>>
>>2072551
>the she's younger than you but looks a lot more mature and womanly
>>
>>2072952
Certainly. I saw true love in there relationship.
>>
>>
>>2072910
>After watching this show all the way thru about 13 times

Me too
>>
>>2072829

He was in Dextra, IIRC.
>>
>>2073216
That was it? Harsh.
>>
I never understood how the hell were Aeru's grandfather, and Dominura comrades. There both member's of Chor Dextra correct, the phantom chor?
>>
>>2073234
I think it's just that Chor Dextra had a very long history. Aaeru's grandfather and Dominura weren't in the Chor at the same time.
>>
>>2073239
Then again, it was a time travel experiment...
>>
>>2073234
>>2073239

Even Onashia was part of Dextra.
>>
Kneel to the great one.
>>
>>2073267
The attempted rapist/murderer.
Besides that, she was really cool.
>>
>>2073314
>The attempted rapist/murderer.
That just makes the gapmoe greater.
>>
File: 1266042452763.jpg (292 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
1266042452763.jpg
292 KB, 768x1024
>>2073314
Hey, attempting to rape Neviril was pretty much one of Chor Tempest's most popular downtime activities.
>>
>>2073354
Only Mammina, and Parietta did. Unless you count Aeru's kiss, in which she didn't know what she was doing.
>>
>>2073362
It was a joke, imouto-chan.
>>
>>2072952
Yes, but I don't think Dominu.... erm... Onassia wanted to "cheat" on Limone.
>>
>>2073479
Honestly I'm not a fan of that theory. I think that the same thing (glittery deterioration due to not going to the spring) can happen to two different people, just because there were also time travel shenanigans doesn't mean they're the same person.

And yes, I still stand on this side of the discussion even after 10 years, haha.
>>
File: 1285694767718.jpg (221 KB, 800x565) Image search: [Google]
1285694767718.jpg
221 KB, 800x565
>>2073481
I agree with you. Onasia is NOT Dominura. There is nothing concrete to suggest it, and to believe that she is makes the question of Rimone's fate too sharp and uncomfortable.

I have always believed that eventually she and Rimone performed the "perfect" Emerald Rimaajon and attained a state like that of Aeru/Neviriru - stepping beyond the bounds of time and human suffering into a blissful existence in an "eternal present", an everlasting perfect moment of happiness.
>>
>>2073494
Speaking of the Emerald Majon, the ending wasn't just a sad memory, since Nervil and Aeru never danced in the show, so it was probably them in the other world, eternally happy, and in Yuri paradise?
>>
File: 1325973588762.jpg (71 KB, 850x320) Image search: [Google]
1325973588762.jpg
71 KB, 850x320
>>2073496
That's what I just said, and that IS the proper interpretation. There's nothing sad about the ending for THEM, only the other sibyllae who were forced to grow up and lost their chance at ever attaining what they did. By the cruel current of time they continue to be swept away further and further from each other and from those days.
>>
Suddenly remembering the part where Aeru realizes she's in love with Neviriru and gets all blushy about it and then Neviriru confronting her. Ugh I love this show. I wish there were more fanart/fic for them.
>>
File: 5049520224_b18d1d00a9.jpg (47 KB, 411x400) Image search: [Google]
5049520224_b18d1d00a9.jpg
47 KB, 411x400
>>2073509
If you look hard enough, you can find a decent amount of art for them. Not many fanfics though..

I'm just glad Simoun is longer then most Yuri's.
>>
>>2073496
I've always thought that Neveril and Aaeru BECAME Tempus and Spatium....
>>
Kinda loved how Aeru was completely different then any other Yuri protagonist. She was a hot blooded, extremely blunt, pilot who liked fighting and killing on the battlefield, who happened to desire a fellow female pilot. Amazing.
>>
File: cap01_29.jpg (36 KB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
cap01_29.jpg
36 KB, 853x480
>>2073513
The ironic and sad thing about it is, it's like that only because the "all children are female" plot contrivance allowed them to give the all-female cast extremely varied personalities, where in another anime the roles of Aeru, Paraietta, Dominura, etc. would probably have been male characters. Mamiina too, quite likely.

They managed to portray a huge breadth of female thoughts, feelings, and dispositions, including ones we don't normally get to see in anime, but the sad truth is, it's almost like a happy accident. Due to the nature of the gender handwave, they had to take roles that Japan would consider "male" and let them be portrayed by female characters...which paradoxically created something that more fully celebrated the spectrum of female individuality than almost any other show.

Maybe that was intentional, and I'm not giving the writers enough credit, attributing to luck what they intended all along. But it's hard to give Japan the benefit of the doubt when it comes to gender roles.
>>
>>2073520
I really think it /was/ intentional, onee-sama.
>>
>>2073535
An optimist, huh? Well, you're probably still young. Enjoy it while it lasts, kouhai.
>>
>>2073520
Soo...they wrote characters, not stereotypes. Well shit, who'd'a thunk that be a good idea!
>>
>>2073545
As countless writers can be cited to attest, thinking it's a good idea and actually doing it are two very different things.
>>
>>2073499
There was a lot that was really shitty about those days though. They were priestesses who were pressed into being child soldiers (Remember Aaeru HACKING THE HANDS OFF A DEAD ENEMY SOLDIER and traumatising Limone?), and it was never firmly established imo whether Dominura and Limone going back in time to teach people how to fly the Simoun was really a good thing, or whether it led to the apparently unending series of wars we're watching in the present. Being a grownup shouldn't be a shitty thing. You get to settle down and have children and do a lot of stuff that a lot of people really love. The world of Simoun just seems like a really shitty place to live. No wonder you'd want to escape elsewhere?
>>
File: 1246908718491.jpg (27 KB, 385x400) Image search: [Google]
1246908718491.jpg
27 KB, 385x400
>>2073647
Obviously the war would not be a fond remembrance. I wasn't talking about that, but the peaceful days when they and their fellow sibyllae stood united in faith and friendship and rode the holy Simoun, drawing prayers across the sky to honor Tempus Spatium. That way of life was erased, forever.

>You get to settle down and have children and do a lot of stuff that a lot of people really love.

I hate the phrase "settling down". It (appropriately) invokes a dull resignation. And lesbians don't "have children". These are ordinary human happinesses you're speaking of, but these girls were not raised to be ordinary. They were part of something that to them seemed high and excellent, and whatever sort of normal human life they may end up leading, it pales in comparison to what Aeru and Neviril attained - and it seems to me that some of them, such as Paraietta and Floe(f), perceive that, if only distantly.

>The world of Simoun just seems like a really shitty place to live. No wonder you'd want to escape elsewhere?

Exactly my point. Simoun is a very tragic tale, but only for the ones left behind. Are you familiar with the Buddhist concept of "samsara"? It's the eternal cycle of suffering in this worldly existence, chained to time and space, that humans repeat over and over. I really think this idea heavily informed the writing of Simoun, because that's what Aeru and Neviril escaped from, and what all the others are still mired in. At the end, war is looming again, and all their futures are uncertain, even though they were some of the lucky few that came so close, closer than they know themselves, to escaping. But that precious chance, so brief and circumstantial, is gone forever for them now. That's the real tragedy of Simoun.
>>
>>2073499
Who's that standing next to Neviril?
>>
>>2073714
That's the Messis, the cargo ship they were living on for a while after Arcus Prima got damaged. Or did you mean on the left? That's Rimone of course.
>>
>>2073714
>>2073720
That's Paraietta you dolt.
>>
>>2073659
Yeah but Simoun is also very hopeful. The girls that can't escape the circle desperately helped Aeru and Neviril to escape from the circle. They didn't do it just because they're friends and want them to be free. They did it because they wanted a monument of that moment in their life. So that even if the world forgot what happened , they wont. They wanted to hope, that even among all these tragedies there is a way out. Knowing that they helped two of their precious friend, with their own hand, got away from the circle of suffering is enough to encourage them to keep going and face all of the tragedies in their life. It reminds them that they have power to change something for the better.

To me, the best kind of tragedy is when it birthed a very hopeful message. And Simoun is definitely one of them.
>>
>>2073725
Sexdoll-lips Neviril is the only Neviril.
>>
>>2073720
>>2073725
I mean this girl, with the red question mark. I'm pretty sure I correctly identified all the others.
>>
>>2073735
I think I wasn't being very clear before. Neviril is beside Paraietta. Paraietta have two drawings there, one with big boobs that got cross mark over it. The other is below it and is shown with content smile beside Neviril.

The one with drill hair, next to Rimone is Dominura.
>>
>>2073740
That's Paraietta. The crossed out girl above her is also Paraietta, though a cariacture of her large breasts and would-be suava manner.
>>
>>2073741
>The one with drill hair, next to Rimone is Dominura.

Believe it or not, I never noticed that. The fish lips always made me assume it was a playful jab at Neviril.
>>
File: That Simoun chart.jpg (525 KB, 2146x1631) Image search: [Google]
That Simoun chart.jpg
525 KB, 2146x1631
A must have in Simoun thread.
>>
>>2073746
I always hated that chart. Wrong name romanization, trying too hard to be clever and glib, and some of those connections are flat out wrong.
>>
>>2073748
Well yeah, /a/ made them while Simoun was airing.
>>
>"The girl who cried rape"

I admit, I laughed way too hard at that.
>>
File: rQqpvmY.png (901 KB, 1664x928) Image search: [Google]
rQqpvmY.png
901 KB, 1664x928
Okay, I swear I see something new every time I watch this show. I was listening to Franz Shubert's Symphony #4, his "Tragic" symphony and when it got to the 4th movement about 3/4 thru the symphony, I was like.... where have I heard this before?

OH YEAH, THIS WAS THE MUSIC WHEN AAERU AND NEVERIL WERE DRAWING THE EMERALD RI MAJON! And continued to when Dominura finds Limone to say she's going to fly with her again.

https://youtu.be/CnoI-sYtCOU?t=26m18s

They literally wove part of Shubert's tragic symphony into one of the most majestic parts of the whole anime.

DEEN why can't you be this awesome anymore?
>>
>>2075592
Simoun is just a masterpiece they happened to make out of chance.
Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.