[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/u/ meets /lit/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /u/ - Yuri

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 17
Previous thread >>2027627

Check the archive for more threads.
Discuss, request, and recommend /u/ related /lit/ works.

Please search on google, archive or torrent sites before making a request.
On kat.cr search for "FF" and click on the books section.
>>
>>2058380
So I've been reading the Scholars and Sorcery series and I've been wondering if you could recommend me another story about (school) girls or young adults.
Preferably one with a happy end.
Do you know if Annie on My Mind is good?
>>
>>2058553
Yes, Annie on My Mind is good. Keeping You a Secret is another one mentioned on these threads.
>>
>>2058565
Thank you, anon! I'll read Keeping You a Secret next.
>>
>>2058380
Anyone know any good audiobooks?
>>
>>2058767
i second this question. actually a list of decent books with audio version would be nice.
>>
Bored out of my mind I searched the depth of amazon releases for something oddities and actually found a few:
Kit Walker's Endling (it's also on this wattpad thing so you don't need to actually buy it); it's basically Scifi-Slice-of-Life, reminded me a lot of "Long Way to a Small Angry Planet". I wouldn't promise that the main protagonist will always stay tr/u/e, but so far she only hopped in bed with a female alien.
And it's a bit weird to read since it's written in present tense, but otherwise it's kinda fun so far.

And Chirrick's Overshadowed, YA-ish Scifi, I guess? There's some alien race that commits genocide as part of their master plan, and the heroine gets caught up in it. It's a bit ... well. YA-ish. Sappy. Oddly balanced story, too. But I like that the antagonist for once actually have a motivation and aren't just evil because that's how they are. I suppose I'd read a sequel should it come out.

And Chris Strange "Don't Be A Hero" ... didn't actually read more than the preview so far, but the heroine is lesbian (in a relationship), and, of course, a super-hero. Either way some super-villains do something (it's not clear so far) and the super-heroes try to stop them (who would've guessed?). The twist is that humanity hates super-heroes, them being mutants and all.
Seems interesting enough so far, just wasn't willing to fork over any money (yet).
>>
Could any kind anon please post Georgia Beers Rescued Heart? Thanks
>>
>>2059333
http://www38.zippyshare.com/v/zIWwzUQ3/file.html
>>
Someone mentioned 'The Housemistress' by Keira Michelle Telford and I read it, a decent read if the end was a little.. weird? The twist that is, it felt a little odd for the suicide to not be a suicide. Nevertheless, it reminded me a little of 'Loving Annabelle'.
>>
>>2059423

It's an ok book. I thought the same about the ending but what worked me the most was the bad French lol. Oh weird to read a supposed French not speak good French.
>>
>>2059417
Thank you! Been wanting to read that for a while
>>
Any /u/ literature about soulmates? Just finished watching Kanamemo for the first time and Yume and Yuuki and their whole soulmate shtick really hit me hard.
>>
Who's your favorite /u/ author?
>>
File: T4apE.jpg (77 KB, 640x720) Image search: [Google]
T4apE.jpg
77 KB, 640x720
Finished Lady Knight and The Girl and Her Prince. Looking for more books with knights. Even if it's bad I'll read it, as long it has knights. Thank you in advance!
>>
>>2060299
Well TGaHP is shit so that bar you set isn't hard to rise above. That's the one where the MC gets sleep-rape impregnated, right? You'd do better looking for random ff knight fanfics if you have no standards.

Bridget Essex's the Knight Legends series
Divine Touched
Sword of the Guardian
>>
>>2060286
Anything that started out as Xena/Gabrielle Uber fic would have some of this element, I would think. Sadly I haven't actually gone looking for Uber fic yet so idk what to recommend, besides Melissa Good's stuff.
>>
>>2060286
There's a reasonable amount of KnM stuff like that.
>>
>>2060348
First, thank you for replying. I'll get all the books you recommended! Thanks again!

>That's the one where the MC gets sleep-rape impregnated, right? You'd do better looking for random ff knight fanfics if you have no standards.

Yeah, exactly. This one. Maybe I'll do as you say.
>>
>>2060286
>>2060378
Engravings of Wraith and Icehole (Kiera Dellacroix) definitely have that soulmate aspect and started as Ubers, although their tones are nothing like Kanamemo. I'd also rec Backwards to Oregon/Hidden Truths (Jae) for the way the couples interact, especially in the 2nd book. All the Garoul books have a strong soulmate aspect to them. Gift of Time (Robin Alexander) is pretty on the nose if you want a more literal application of soulmates.
>>
Dumb question: If I buy an ordinary tablet (not kindle) can I still buy the kindle version of the book in amazon?
>>
>>2060396
If it has the "Kindle App" available. Then yes.
Like iPads and most android tablets.

But most times you can hack tablets to put illegal/ripped books on.
>>
could anyone please post a copy of faith l. justice "sword of the gladiatrix"?
>>
>>2060289
1 Jae
2 Blayne Cooper
3 Robin Alexander
4 Gill McKight
5 Gerri Hill

That'd be my ranking.
>>
File: CZx8lZmWYAAN0Eu.jpg (24 KB, 307x475) Image search: [Google]
CZx8lZmWYAAN0Eu.jpg
24 KB, 307x475
>>2060289
Easy.
Though I also like MJ Duncan because her latest are literally comfy: the books.
Lee Winter's debut was very good and only dropped the ball near the end because of hamfisted minute-to-midnight drama. I'm looking forward to her next one.
>>
>>2060289
Usually /u/ mysteries are my favorite, but equally usually the authors write one series and that's it. So saying x or y is my favorite is basically saying series x or y is my favorite, and I don't think I can do that.

So whether it's Anne Holt or Iza Moreau or JM Redmann or Kate Allen or Laurie King or ... I pretty much like them all.
With "single book authors" it's too much of a it or miss thing for me to pick one over others.
>>
>>2060378
>>2060390
This may sound stupid, but what are Ubers?
>>
>>2060545
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uberfic

The term isnt used too much anymore, honestly. But its the reason why there is so much published Xena fanfiction in lesbian lit
>>
>>2060289
Nicola Griffith
Sophia Kell Hagan
Nanci Little -- ONLY for Grass Widow
Karin Kallmaker
KG Macgregor
Robin Alexander
Carsen Taite
>>
The Blue Place hit me hard.
By far it's the only novel I end up crying while reading it
>>
http://www39.zippyshare.com/v/AbGFejK7/file.html
>>
>>2058553
"I kiss Girls" by Gina Harris is really nice
>>
>>2060667
Slow River also made me cry in a different way. She's just a good author.
>>
>>2060390
The thing I liked about the relationship between Yume and Yuuki was that they had known eachother since they were kids/forever and agreed they were soulmates. Kinda reminded me of the relationship in Odd Thomas which had me crying like a little bitch.
>>
>>2060390
I wish I could find something as good as Kiera Kellacroix's books. Just finished rereading them for the third time or so
>>
>>2061016
I reread EoW once and found it much worse than I remembered it.
>>
>>2058767
This anon here.

Mostly for this anon >>2059222

'The gravity between us' audiobook is pretty good.

I just picked up the 'Annie on my mind' audiobook. I'll let you know how it goes.
>>
>>2061173
I read Dellacroix after recommendations on here and didnt understand the fuss. But each to their own
>>
>>2061772
Wasn't super into EoW either after seeing it on here. I actually didn't finish it, but that's in part because the copy I had was kind of wonky. I'm like, 50/50 for really liking books i've read that were mentioned here.

my favorite book from these threads so far has been Baru, but I've only been frequenting them for what feels like a few months now.
>>
>>2061782
Baru seemed overly verbose to me. It had interesting plot, but should've been streamlined a bit in the middle because some chapters, while important to the story, were a borefest.
>>
Found this the other day. It's a webserial. Kind of slow SoL and fantasy mix. Romance is picking up and it has chapter voting. I like one girl more than the other but the story is not bad.

http://www.rwcrossing.com
>>
File: 01234.jpg (155 KB, 1279x3024) Image search: [Google]
01234.jpg
155 KB, 1279x3024
>>
>>2060698
Thanks anon, I'm liking it.
>>
>>2060447
Just read Lee Winters (The Red Files). I honestly felt the drama was telegraphed and not at all unexpected, so I rather enjoyed the book.
>>
Anyone have Edge of Rebellion by Andi Marquette?

Only the first two books of the series are in the torrent.
>>
>>2062148
It was expected, but also highly forced in my opinion. Breakup + random encounter later + let's continue as if no time passed is high on the list of tropes I hate.
>>
>>2060880
I think I'll give that book a try after I compose myself
Should I be prepared for something worse?
>>
>>2060662
What's wrong with Nanci Little's other books? I liked Grass Widow, it seemed really well written.
>>
Anyone have any fresh Urban Fantasy books? Or Fantasy?
>>
>>2063597
No, just sheer emotion. not a sucker punch like Blue Place
>>2063723
Thin Fire has rape central to the book.
First Resort... Hell, why spoiler it? Rape also central theme in this book. But... The love interest, the woman healed by and in love with a lesbian, marries the lesbian protagonist's uncle (no joke) and is only not a lesbian because she repeats those words in dialogue every other page. (She was written and portrayed as a woman with romantic and sexual love with another woman but the author uses only get verbal denials to claim she isn't a lesbian.) The whole book builds up the romantic love between these women as it heals them both, and suddenly in the epilogue, the lover marries her lover's uncle and they (the protagonists IN LOVE WITH EACH OTHER) aren't lovers anymore. The woman states she can marry the lesbian's uncle because the lesbian taught her sex/love/romantic relationships are safe and fulfilling. And lesbian starts sleeping around again (and is totally cool with the marriage). It was heartbreaking and disgusting after such an emotionally charged book. It was campy because the lesbian is Mary Sue-ish. But goddamn, it turned into a nightmare. If you read it, just stop after they have sex the first time. Pretend that's the end.
>>
>>2063933
Welp, thanks for letting me know. I'll avoid the rest of her novels like the plague. I read /u/ novels because I like the Lightness and happy endings they have, not for the drama and other crap.
>>
>>2063933
>>2063723
Do any of her other novels involve sex with vegetables like Grass Widow did?
>>
>>2063939
Nope. Grass Widow is the only book I've read (period) that involves corn dildos. All things said, that was a great book.
>>
>>2060439
>Jae

Are any of her fantasy novels good? I read Backwards to Oregon and on other that were somewhat "realistic", but reading some of the descriptions of her other books, like Second Nature or Manhattan Moon they just sound bad.
>>
>>2064772
They're kind of tedious, but if you like any of her other books, you'll probably like them. I recall enjoying the book about the coyote shifter best.
>>
>>2064772
Actually, I really liked her shifter series.
More than her realistic books.
>>
Does anyone have Business Makes Strange Bedfellows by e.e ottoman? I'm in the mood for some lesbian vampire stories, but didn't find it on kickass or the other usual spots. Thanks in advance!
>>
Just read Drained - the lucid and it was so boring my eyes almost rolled back in my head.
>>
>>2066630
My issue was the fact it wasn't a complete story.
>>
Anybody have any reccomendations in which a couple gets trapped together for a time? Like a snowstorm or something?
>>
>>2066788

Lyn Gardner - ICE
>>
>>2066788
Painted Moon by Karin Kallmaker starts out with that, but it's only about the first half of the book.
>>
>>2066821
Snow Falls by Gerri Hill has the same setup.
>>
Anyone have books been released in the past 12 months that they would recommend. Need something new.
>>
>>2067075
I just finished reading Atramentum by MJ Duncan and can easily recommend it for anyone who wants some comfort. There is non-relationship drama that caught me by surprise ok it made me cry worry/relief tears but I'm soft but even so it is one of the most relaxing slice of life romances I've read.

I hope MJ Duncan keeps it up. She is the only author who seems to want to write smooth romance without the usual bumps.
>>
Just finished Annie On My Mind. It's pretty great, would recommend whole heartedly.

Looking for any other YA book. Preferably with some angst and maybe a dash of smut?
>>
>>2067742
Have you read Keeping You a Secret? Qualities of Light (Mary Moore) is also good. Um, Lily Mason(?) has some YA stuff on kindle.
>>
File: library.jpg (238 KB, 1287x842) Image search: [Google]
library.jpg
238 KB, 1287x842
Any recommendations for books with some good action? Not a fan of vamps and weres though.

I've read and liked:
Arravan, Pyramid, Lyremouth, Raven Ladies, Vaelendrian Goddesses, Far Seek, Goblin Fires, all of Kiera Dellacroix's books

Read some and didn't like or got bored with:
Supreme constellations, Caelano, Elite Operatives

Current library attached
>>
>>2068367
Forgot to add that going through the torrent searching titles and reading descriptions is really tedious, and after several hours hasn't yielded any promising results
>>
>>2068263
Qualities of Light I couldn't get into; the first chapter is written so strangely. I'm gonna try Keeping You a Secret.

Thanks for the recs, any others?
>>
>>2068263
Annie was my first book, try 'the miseducation of cameron post', small town girl messed up by her sexuality and dead parents. 'her name in the sky', this one captures the angst of Annie, and makes it a million times more potent. Also anything by Siera Maley is good too.
>>
>>2068367
No UF is kinda limiting on the action side, but here's some Scifi:
Cary Caffrey - The Girls From Alcyone
Dean Chalmers - Space Cruiser Musashi
Jeanne G'Fellers - Taelach Sisters (I vaguely remember that I didn't like this too much)
Lora E. Rasmussen - Dark Reach Wars (basically Mass Effect but who cares)

And Fantasy:
Catherine M. Wilson - When Women Were Warriors (pretty slice-of-life-ish but also some action)
Illise Montoya - Eikasia
Kate Cudahy - The Duellist - Hal (2nd book supposedly sucks)
Sam Ryan - Dynasty Saga
IS Neko - Demons Of Heaven - The Horned Ones
Erik Schubach - Techromancy Scrolls

They aren't all of equal quality, but you'll figure that out yourself.
And since Baru Cormorant isn't in your library, well, you should correct that at some point. It's not too big on action though.

For contemporary non-UF action you might want to look at the mystery genre. They tend to at least have some action once the protagonist confronts the culprit, or when the investigation goes awry ...
>>
>>2068407
Her Name in the Sky is great. Would also recommend.
>>
>>2068407
Ah, Siera Mally was who I meant for YA author. I'd recommend giving Quailities of Light a few more chapters. I remember it being very well written sand angsty.
>>
>>2068367
>They will never make the second book of Goblin Fires
>>
>>2068522
Okay I'll make an effort when I'm done with Keeping You a Secret.
>>
>>2068526
Drained - The Lucid Book 2 is also never going to happen.
(doubly annoying since the end was idiotic)
>>
>>2068526
>no garoul 5
>>
>>2068512

+1

Still praying every day for another book of this story or a new book from this author.
>>
>>2068536
It wasn't a complete story; that's why it's annoying.
>>
>>2068650
Ditto.

Also I just finished Keeping You a Secret. It was fun, would recommend. 7 out of 10. Time to go back to Qualities of Light.
>>
>>2068650
She has a story published in Wattpad. The title is A Different Kind of Us. It's a lot shorter but also interesting.
>>
>>2068567
Don't remind me. I'd like to see a book about Mouse... Oh well.
>>
>>2060703
It's not bad. I was really getting frustrated because of where I thought it was going, but then it didn't go there.
>>
I'm kind of in a mood for something with a roguish character having adventures.
Like a female Robin Hood, or Indiana Jones perhaps. Any stories there that fit that bill?
I've already read A Kiss Doesn't Lie, which was set in a jungle, and want more.
>>
>>2059230
>Kit Walker's Endling
Interesting find, thanks. I'd like to try writing in the present tense, so that comes in handy to see how others, non literary geniuses, fare.
>>
>>2069365
Unfortunately I don't know anything that is lesbian Robin Hood/Indiana Jones because now I really want to read that. These are adventure books for the most part, mostly with roguish characters.
Rebeccah and the Highwayman (Barbara Davies)
Hell's Belle, The Devil You Know (Marie Castle)
Engravings of Wraith, Icehole, Fractured Tapestry (Kiera Dellacroix)
Divine Touched (Cassandra Duffy)
Promises, Promises (LJ Baker)
>>
>>2068567
FML. I wish Gill McKnight would stop releasing strange shit and started writing new werewolf stuff.
>>
File: 17402728.jpg (95 KB, 310x467) Image search: [Google]
17402728.jpg
95 KB, 310x467
I watched a little bit of Star Trek Voyager when I was real young. Did miss the part of the series where there was apparently enough material to become obsessed with Janeway/7 of 9 pairing?

I have read almost as many books pairing the "tall, younger, blonde, severe-featured" character with the "small, older, redheaded, professional woman with the dusty voice" as I have with Xena/Gabby-esque pairings. I had no idea the ship was that popular.
>>
A lot of the stuff posted here seems to be smut, not that I have anything against that. I just prefer stories where the MC just so happen to be gay/lesbian, it might even be central to the plot. I just don't really care for sex scenes after sex scenes. Any recommendations?
>>
>>2069865
Remember, they only have to be within spitting distance to have /u/ potential. But really, there's quite a bit of material to work with if you can slog through the series. Nothing on the level of the later seasons of Xena, but enough that people could potentially interpret the mother/daughter relationship in another way.

In other news, it appears Jane Fletcher's new novel is available to download through Bold Strokes. Anyone read it yet? I'm going to buy it and see if it's any good.
>>
>>2069865
>I watched a little bit of Star Trek Voyager when I was real young. Did miss the part of the series

Who knows what you watched.

The whole paternal thing between the two could easily have gone that way, instead of the predictable romance attempts they made.

Personally, I'm more partial to Torres/S9. But there isn't anywhere near as much, let alone quality stuff.
>>
>>2069865
>>2070067
>>2070090
There's always "Turning Point", by Lara Zielinsky. It's about two familiar-sounding actresses who play in a famous science fiction series falling in love off camera. It's basically a fan-fiction about the actresses who play Janeway and S9.
>>
>>2069865
So these lesbian romance novels whose main couple is recognizably from Glee, Star Trek, Xena or whatever started life as fanfics that were later edited to avoid copyright infringement and published? Do you guys happen to know if the same thing happens frequently with het and gay fics, aside from Fifty Shades of Grey?
>>
>>2070127
It almost feels like, at some point, it was pretty much the backbone of les-fiction existing.
Not that I know if that's true.
>>
>>2070127

It's happen a lot, recently discovered that 3/4 books I liked were actually fanfics turned into books. I never watched Glee so I couldn't recognize anything, so to me it was pretty much a book like another.

I think it's starting to happen quite a lot with het books too: https://www.goodreads.com/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&search_type=lists&q=fanfic
>>
>>2070065

I'm not sure which books you are talking about, but most of the books who were recommended to me by anons like only one sex scene and not even always graphic.

And Say Yes to the cheerleader have none at all.
>>
>>2070173
It's probably just really difficult to notice with het-stuff. Basically every non-gay book is het, one way or another - novels that have zero indication of any sort of romantic relationship imo are even rarer than ones that are about gay couples.

So the selection is just huge, and why read some "fanfiction goes published" if you can pick [insert favorite amazing author here]? With /u/, you really just don't have that much choice ...
>>
http://www24.zippyshare.com/v/yyIyfTek/file.html
>>
>>2070181

Thanks! Seems pretty good from the summary
>>
>>2070174
Can you links specific one? Last one I read was about a president whose wife died and she started dating a straight writer or something...
>>
>>2070181
Any opinions or spoilers on how this reads? The last paragraph of the synopsis makes it sound like a dramatic psychological thriller instead of a categorically underutilized sweet sweet student/teacher age gap romance.
>>
>>2070385
>makes it sound like a dramatic psychological thriller

Well, yeah. So it most likely is.
>>
>>2070382
Madam President by Blayne Cooper you mean? That has a sequel title 'First Lady' if you didn't know.

Otherwise, if you don't mind FPPoV I'd recommend 'Interference' by Zoe Reed. There is a sex scene early on, but not really.
>>
>>2070389
Where are you guys finding these books, only time I find them is on Amazon and they're like $6 a pop.
>>
>>2070382
Well most /u/ books are romances more than any other genre so sex or at least sexual attraction is an integral part of the story. The only books that don't have much is when younger characters or more prudish characters make out and fade to black.
Something in the Wine I think the short story sequel has sex but I never read it
Roses & Thorns
Finding Ashlynn
Pegasi and Prefects the 3rd book is taking forever though
Promises, Promises
Hells Belle & The Devil You Know
Our Demented Play Date
Daughter or Mystery sequel starts with het sex scene
and there are more that I can't remember
>>
>>2070127
>>2070135
I feel like 9/10 of all les aithors' first novels started off as Xena ubers. As I was thinking about this I just now realized the shitty pirate series I'm reading is leading up to a Xena/Gabby finale.
>>
>>2070382

South of Sunshine, Everything Changes (though I found it very very very bad and won't recommend it), Blessed Twice (there one sex scene but at the very end, the main character cannot be touched because of past abuse),
Forevermore (one sex scene who is like 10 lines barely remember it desu), On the Outside , No One Needs to Know , Scars, says yes to the cheerleader, Dating Game.... There way more I can give you a better list when I get home.

My most to read is really: Her Name in the Sky , there one long sex scene but it's not that graphic (it's more about the shame the main character feel to love each other).

If you look at the last threat you would be able to found tons of recommendations of book without sex or barely sex inside.

I guess I'm like you, I'm reading for the plots not for the porn inside and up to now it was never a problem for me to found read.
>>
We have any fresh Fantasy or Urban Fantasy books? Im a sucker for all of it, watching Grimm right now.
>>
>>2070395
/spoiler of Daughter of Mystery sequel - there is no depicted scene. Jesus Christ, people.
>>
>>2060299
>Looking for more books with knights.

One of the main characters in the Dragonoak trilogy (2 of 3 parts released) is a knight. I'd have called her a Paladin if it were me writing the book, I mean there are even 12 of them to begin with IIRC, but oh well. That's one of like only two gripes I had with the book it's pretty neat over all.
>>
>>2070179
I don't think it works quite like that. Sure, most books will include straight relationships, but if it's a love story you're after, you'll seek a romance novel, which is likely the least respected genre of writing.
>>
>>2070522
Meh, but it's just a genre-label. Is War&Peace a romance novel? Naw, but the various guys pinning over sexy loli-Natasha is 3/4 of the content.
Similar things happen for novels by Dostojewksi, Fontane, Schiller, doesn't really matter. Sometimes it's more important, sometimes less, of course, but romance is such a huge, huge factor in literature, it simply cannot be ignored.

And it's still true for modern writers. Basically every Murakami novel is about romance. Or like something by R. Powers, or who-knows-who-else. "Serious, award-winning authors".

I mean, sure, I wouldn't randomly pick a book and just expect there to be romance, if that's what I'm looking for, but for het relationships I really think you have such a wide selection there's barely any need for a genre specifically dedicated to that topic...
>>
>>2070527
It's something that really bothers me in sci-fi, my preferred genre, because it doesn't /need/ to always have a het romance, thought it always, always does, and it's generally terribly written.
>>
>>2070387
>>2070385

Not done reading it yet but so far it's pretty much about a teacher trying to resist her 16yo student who is totally in love with her.

Pretty much your normal forbidden relationship book.
The relationship kind of reminds me of the headmistress, student is in love with the teacher, teacher refuse to do anything at first but still lead the student on.
>>
>>2070530
Fantasy has the exact same problem.

It's among the reasons I started reading books about lesbians in the first place: that at least meant there'd be a slight twist to the whole thing.

Of course, /u/ has it's own bunch of annoying tropes and clichés ...
>>
>>2070527
Nonetheless, the (het) romance genre exists and is popular.
>>
>>2070684
>Not done reading it yet but so far it's pretty much about a teacher trying to resist her 16yo student who is totally in love with her.

That's what the summary says the first half or so is. Then the drama.
Please report back. If there's little drama, I'm highly interested.
>>
>>2070692

Basically the 100 first pages are 'I love you' 'I love you too but we cannot' guy arrive and flirt with girl 'you are mine don't flirt back but we cannot be together' I'll try to finish the book today but really so stereotype for now
>>
I'm wondering if anyone could post Melissa Brayden - Firework please?
>>
>>2070897
https://kat.cr/ff-melissa-brayden-rachel-spangler-karis-walsh-sweet-hearts-t12639272.html
>>
I've heard people say Robin Alexander is good, anyone recommend something by her?
>>
>>2070913
Thank you!
>>
>>2071423
Summer of Our Discontent, but pretty much all her newer books are good.
>>
>>2071436
They're all pretty solidly written, but they're also all so ... generic. x meets y, loads of sexual tension (this means that they're in love with each other), some (not too huge) obstacles to overcome, maybe some really annoying friends/family/pets involved.

Done, next book, exactly the same again ...
>>
Does anyone have a copy of Coming to Terms
by K.A. Moll or Haunting Love
by K.A. Moll? Thanks in advance
>>
>>2071484
Yeah, but if you like that feel-good drama-free fluff, they are some of the better options.
>>
Anyone could recommend me some books where one of the main characters was abused ? Or still is? Like in blessed twice or in Good girls for example.
Thanks
>>
>>2071526
Jennifer L. Jordan - Kristin Ashe Mystery is an entire series about clearing up what happened (spoiler: bad things) to our protagonist/s.

Cari Hunter - The Dark Peak series; "just" violence though.

Diane Wood - The Fortune Teller's Daughter; ho, boy what doesn't happen to the protagonist? One of those "didn't think it could get worse, eh?" books.
It's pretty fucked up.

Jody Klaire - Above And Beyond. Unjustly put in a prison for mentally insane ppl. As a different way of abuse. As a UF choice.

... hum. As always, the one I was initially thinking of I can't remember, so there's a bunch of different ones, ha.
>>
>>2071484
It's loaded with lots of humour, though. It's a combination that's pretty hard to get bored of.
>>
>>2071526
HOUSE RULES by heather lewis
>>
>Cary Caffrey - The Girls From Alcyone

Huh, so far the thing that's annoying me the most about this book are the numbers: apparently 18mm is now the standard calibre for side-arms, the girls are "faster than average teenagers" by which the author means "faster than any human ever born" and people are expected to aim weapons that fire projectiles at .6 c while moving on space ships that are probably travelling at several thousand miles a second. Also

>What's better than lasers and bombs?
>RKVs!
>Ok, but how can we make the RKVs better?
>Make them bombs!

I guess it kind of makes sense, but why?

What hasn't really happened is that the protagonist hasn't gone full on Mary Sue yet. I know she's a genetically perfect Übermensch (she's actually the least impressive of all of them except when it comes to shooting and how well she responded to the weird science) but it's more like she's the protagonist because she's the special one rather than being special because she's the protagonist I guess?

>She just bought a katana

Well, shit, never mind then.
>>
>>2071603
But she did is a romantic gesture. Or something.

I won't pretend that I didn't enjoy the series so far, despite all the ... problems. Maybe it's 'cause it's lesbians in space without any kind of weird empath/soulmate/pacifism message and general mayhem instead.

Book 3 though ... that should've been a sub-arc of a novel, not the entirety of the book. Really disappointing.

Oh, and my personal annoyance -
This whole mind control thing that doesn't seem to bother the protagonist all that much. I know that, since it's fiction, we know she's on the 'good side', but irl there just wouldn't be any way to know and she's being awfully trusting with someone who essentially bought up teenage slaves for weird supersoldier experiments ...
>>
>>2071423
Pitifully Ugly is her best
>>
>>2071547
>Diane Wood - The Fortune Teller's Daughter
This one was pretty fucked up yeah. I couldn't finish it.
>>
>>2072045
I just got numb to it. Just so messed up I couldn't relate to anymore.

I mean, how are you supposed to react to the protagonist - a kid at that point - getting buried alive with her mother's corpse? Or something kinda like that, forgot the details desu.

I'm all for non-fluffy romance, but there's a limit to how far you can go before it just stops working, somehow ...
>>
>>2072065
I couldn't keep reading after knowing that

The MC is interested in the sister of her dead "ex-girlfriend", who was continuously raped and drugged by the brother and mother of the MC. Or something like that, I can't remember the details.
>>
>>2071547

Thanks, I'll check it out.

>>2072065
>>2072110

My God, I'm not sure if I wanna check this one out though
>>
>>2072045
Now I want to check it out out of morbid curiosity, but I think I'm going to regret that.
>>
Any decent books released this year so far? Just finished Gravity by Renee Porter, which I thought was pretty good read.
>>
i mean the count of monte christo has a lesbian couple
>>
Looking for some YA or Young Love stuff.
Her Name In The Sky 7/10 [x]
Annie On My Mind. 6/10 [x]
The Gravity Between us 8/10 [x]
Keeping you a secret 7/10 [x]
Qualities of Light -/10 [Current, almost finished.]

This is kinda my wheelhouse, right now. Looking for more recommendations.
>>
>>2072365

Pick any of Siera Maley & Say Yes to the Cheerleader
>>
>>2072424
Sweet thanks! I'll check those out next!
>>
http://www107.zippyshare.com/v/uf1O39l2/file.html
>>
>>2072356
>Gravity by Renee Porter
I agree, it was a good read.
I'd recommend you Romancing the Girl by Camryn Eyde.
>>
>>2072559

thanks
>>
>>2072365
scoppetone's classic still holds up
>>
>>2072356

If you're into YA then definitely:

Chelsea M. Cameron - Style

I haven't finished reading it, but I'm halfway done. It's about girls doing cute things.

It's not only angst free but it has two girls that hated each other that became lovers. The sexual tension was well done. It was hot. The little awkward conversations and all that. It's so cute that it's perfect.

If you liked Say Yes to the Cheerleader, you'd love this, and this is way better written.
>>
Anyone can upload Pale Wings Protecting by Lesley Davis? The torrent seems dead
>>
>>2072607

Coukd you post it please? I cannot found it
>>
>>2072562
Here's to hoping there's a second book lined up. Thanks, I'm really enjoying this one so far.

>>2072607
The blurb looks good, I'll definitely check this out next. Thanks.
>>
>>2072666
http://www109.zippyshare.com/v/lz5isKIm/file.html
>>
>>2072730

thanks
>>
>>2072562
>Gravity by Renee Porter

You got me interested, any link? Thanks
>>
>>2072853

CTRL + F zippy. It is in one of the zippyshare links in this thread.
>>
>>2072853
Right here >>2060698
>>
Anyone got a copy of a nicely formatted version of And Playing the Role of Herself? The torrent's are all giving me the same terrible version.
>>
>>2073050
http://www37.zippyshare.com/v/XDAFThEc/file.html
>>
>>2058380
Does anybody here have Reining in Riley by Claire Britain? There are so few BDSM lesfics out there, so when pops up I'm eager to read it
>>
>>2073124
I don't, but is that really your impression? I thought given the total number of lesbians novels they are quite prevalent ...
>>
>>2073099
Wow, this is a lot better. Thanks
>>
Does anyone have Say yes to the Cheerleader by Abby Crofton? I've been meaning to read this for a while but I can't seem to find a copy of it elsewhere.
>>
>>2073428

It was on the previous thread.
>>
javascript:quote('2073436');

I don't think so. I've read through the previous one and all I got was a mention of it. I didn't find a link for the download. Could you guys be so kind as to put it up here in this thread. Would appreciate it greatly.
>>
>>2073450

It was in the precious threat. Sorry I didn't saved it though
>>
Don't worry. I re-checked all the zip files and found it. Thanks. You're such a dear.
>>
File: XL.jpg (225 KB, 1280x2148) Image search: [Google]
XL.jpg
225 KB, 1280x2148
Hi everyone. Glad to see a post about lit. I've been looking for a good place on line to post original (non-fan-fict) U-type stories. Any good places to post? (besides deviantart and fanfiction.net) Thanks so much.
>>
>>2073489
Fictionpress?
>>
>>2073459

http://www92.zippyshare.com/v/54R9Rv3I/file.html

Say Yes to the Cheerleader short stories. (Buy it if you can it's only $1)
>>
>>2073489

Wattpad
>>
>>2073489

A3O? There a lot of original work (no fanfic) on it.
>>
>>2073491
>Upcoming books: Say Yes to the Soccer Player
Is this going to be a series?
>>
Anyone read Ex-Wives of Dracula by Georgette Kaplan?

The summary on goodreads make me feels like it's a so so story but the rating / reviews so far are pretty good
>>
>>2073639
Only the preview. It seemed OK, but it cuts out before the plot really starts, so ... honestly, it's just too expensive for a /u/ ebook.
>>
>>2073490 >>2073492 >>2073495
Thanks alot that's a great help.
Those sites look promising.
>>
Does any have epub for the "Anna & Elsa" book series?
>>
Just finished reading The Space Between by Michelle L. Teichman (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28932275-the-space-between?ac=1&from_search=true) and I must say at first I was like another YA lesbian fic. And the whole twins thing in love with the same girl reminds me a lot of No One Needs to Know by Amanda Grace.

And in the end I liked this book way better. The characters are well written and we have their history little by little and we can understand their reactions and all.

Then I have to say, it's very YA and reminds a little of Her name in the sky and Annie on my mind yet I would say this one stand well alone.

You should check kat, it's been posted there like 2 days ago.
>>
>>2073639

Its main problem is that its super, super 'modern YA' sarcasm/slang/lingo-isms alongside a bunch of dirty 'humor' in the same vein, which falls flat too often due to its overuse. I don't know if I'm explaining it super well, but it was definitely something that gave me pause while reading.

If you can get past that, it's pretty good, tho.
>>
There are a lot of good YA books this year, while there are only a few good Adult books this year. While last year it was the other way around.
>>
>>2074325
Talking about "good adult books", I just finished the (so far only) two Lauren V. books by Jennifer Jordan.

Classic lesbian mysteries in some ways, and I really liked them. The cases feel real, the fact that there are multiple ones per book make for a very nice, quick pace, and there's things going on in the protagonist's life but her personal life doesn't push everything else to the side.

I like how the plot ends with no need for the obligatory action-confrontation at the end, how the heroine can be successful without being a Mary Sue, and cynical/jaded without being dysfunctional.

The one thing I'm a bit divided on are the side-characters, and I suppose if you're looking for romance this so far is the wrong series.

And on a side-note: who'd have thought real estate business could be so interesting? Ha.
>>
>>2074334
>Jennifer Jordan.

Thank you for recommending that name. I have a batch of "Kristin Ashe Mystery" books by her, so I'll be reading them next. I'm guessing (hopeful) they won't be worse.
>>
Anyone happen to have All of the Above by James Dawson, please? I cannot found it. Thanks
>>
>>2074379
I've only read the first three of that one, but I'd pretty much say the same things about it.

Except that it's a lot more about romance, and that the (main) case is a very personal one for the heroines - it's not about uncovering a murderer or anything, it's about discovering their own past. And because of the topics it touches it feels perhaps a bit "darker" (real estate fraud and personal business aren't quite the same, I suppose).

Either way, I'm sure I'll read the rest of the series, too; I just was temporarily too annoyed by one of those oh-so-likeable side-characters.

Typical lesbian-writer issue ... wish they'd just get rid of all those "funny aunts" and "wise grandmas" and "well-meaning mothers" and whatelse lurks around in lesbian novels ...
>>
>>2074416
>And because of the topics it touches it feels perhaps a bit "darker"

As long as it doesn't have rape....?
>>
>>2074419
Um. Huh. Errm. No character so far walked around in the "present" and got raped, but sexual abuse is a huge topic of the novels, so I'm not sure how you count that.

A minor spoiler - I think that one's pretty obvious very quickly:
One of the two heroines was sexually abused as a kid. I don't remember whether "outright" rape was part of it or not, but she didn't have a happy childhood, obviously.
And a bigger spoiler, concerning a major side-character:
She was actually raped, but again, it happened in the past. She does retell the event though, with some disturbing details, so, again, it's not a happy read.
More disturbing, there's some more side-characters...
...and they are the rapist/abusers, simply going on with their lives.
That part is a bit weird to read.

Ultimately, it didn't bother me too much since there's some "distance"; there's no scene where some character gets abducted and raped by some bad guy or something; those books are a lot about the past and that somehow - for me -makes things different.

But then, I don't know where the story might yet still go ...
>>
Michelle L. Teichman - The Space Between is pretty good. The ending is amazing. (It's on Kat)
>>
File: u rape guide.jpg (326 KB, 947x1357) Image search: [Google]
u rape guide.jpg
326 KB, 947x1357
>>2074419
Especially when dealing with a dark story and asking about rape, always assume the answer is yes. Lesfic writers know nothing else.

Here's a useful guide some other anon wrote.
>>
>>2074425
Thank you for spoiling me (I prefer it, really). The del button it is.
>>
>>2074436
Lesbian mysteries can be pretty depressing. The protagonist usually has at least one traumatic something in their past, and if not, bad things happen. Usually both, in multiple ways.

Probably one of the reasons I enjoyed McNab's Kylie Kendall series quite a bit (infuriatingly though, the last one didn't get e-published - so far? I'm not even sure she's still alive...). The romance is kinda ...melancholic, I suppose, but otherwise it's a completely overdone Aussie-goes-to-LA series. G'day, mate. Fair dinkum.

... admittedly I half the time don't really get what she's talking about, but that's basically why it's funny.

Moreau's Small Town Mysteries is also pretty relaxing. People generally don't die, it's, well, small town stuff, but with enough interesting turns and twists.
The end though ... that was just bad.

Alex Peres is also pretty relaxing. I particularly like how they approach their romance in this sort of rational "well, ok, you have a problem with this so we'll do that instead" way.
The approach would cut down most romance novels to 15 pages.

Oh, and Alison Kaine, of course. They have a bit of a depressing factor but like to poke fun at some of the more radical feminist views and manage to be quite amusing at times.
"And this is Painted Pony on a Serene Horizon in the City."

'kay, so maybe the genre isn't all that depressing after all.
>>
>>2074453
>The protagonist usually has at least one traumatic something in their past,
Like rape?
>>
>>2074455
Yeah, or their partner died of cancer, or her parents left her, or she has some sickness, or she has problems with alcohol or something, or her relationships were all crap, or she lost a child, or ...

... well, for some perhaps all of the above? Ha.
>>
>>2074453
Recommending Lindy Cameron's Kit O'Malley mysteries.
Loved those.
>>
>>2074459
Probably my favorite and some funny moments, but some content was pretty grim, and I think she has PTSD or something; so I kinda excluded it for the purpose of "not so depressing lesbian mysteries."

Although I suppose overall it's relatively positive.

Real shame there are only three of them, though. The parts where she's talking about the lesbian-pi-novel she is writing, and discussing how realistic the plot is - genius, haha.
>>
>>2074463
Hm, I don't remember much darkness, aside from the close person dying and setting things in motion. But I've got to put off to reread (because tumblr-y reasons), so...it'll be a while until I find out again.
>>
>>2074464
Related to the cases, not the personal life of the protagonist's; or at least not too much.

Book 2 and 3 had this serial killer who butchered people - in book 2, he captures a 16 year old, chains her up in a basement, rapes her for days, tortures her, and then finally kills her by cutting out her heart while she lives.

And he does that with multiple victims.

Oh, and he plays with the cops.

So yeah, pretty fucked up.
Usually it's at least "just" murder.
>>
>>2074463
>"not so depressing lesbian mysteries."
Suggestions for more of these? There is a shortage of hard boiled lesbian detectives, the only one I can think of is Fractured Tapestry by Kierra Dellacroix.
>>
>>2074469
I haven't read that one so I'm not sure how they compare, but how about the Scandinivians - Aud Torvingen and Hanne Wilhelmsen? Aud is great either way; Hanne has some odd writing choices, but they're pretty interesting, nonetheless - either way, Aud is badass and Hanne is ... well, she changes a lot through the books, but she's not a particularly easy-to-like woman.

McNab's Carol Ashton is sort of similar; she and Hanne probably aren't "hard boiled", but they have this sort of professional coldness/arrogance/distance thing going (oh and both are police officers, not PIs).
I'm not a huge fan of the Ashton ones, though. Hard to pin down why, but they didn't quite hold my interest. They aren't quite "case only" books like the Jane Lawless ones, but there's not too much happening on the personal side (at least in the first few) and the cases aren't _that_ interesting, in my opinion.

In a way perhaps the Mimi&Giana series kinda fits there, too, but I felt that one was a bit too typical. Trying a bit too hard, too, maybe (the leather jackets gave it away).

Oh, almost forgot Caitlin Reece. She fits the bill OK; disillusioned attorney and determined to take justice into her own hands. Basically. The only problem is that her cases are ... sort of weird.

Honestly not sure any of them are quite what you're looking for but, who knows, maybe you're lucky.
>>
Anyone read Shaken to the Core by Jae yet? Been eyeing that book, though I currently don't have the time to read for leisure. It's kinda nice that this book was teased at early on in the form of a script from the second book of her Hollywood Series (not sure if there was more hints in the third book, didn't interest me so I never gave it a read).
>>
Any good sci-fi with a sense of exploration theme?
>>
>>2074732
Both of Gun Brooke's sci-fi series, Supreme Constellations and Exodus, are good for that. Revolves around space conflicts and space travel, respectively.
>>
>>2074428

I wouldn't say amazing, but pretty good yes.
>>
>>2074920
Does anyone have Exodus?
>>
>>2074920
Do you happen to have a link to where I might try it our? Just trying to get my space fix until Mass Effect 4.
>>
>>2070389
Yea, this person just stole some poor bastard's Xena fanfic from ffnet...
>>
>>2075001
Are you sure it's not the same person who just published a fanfic?
>>
>>2074999
I thought Mass Effect ended with 3.
>>
>>2075023
It ended with 1. The following 2 had nothing to do with anything. Then they fucked up so bad, they needed an entirely new galaxy for 4. Set in the far off future.
>>
>>2074668
The 3rd book was about filming the script, so yeah, there were some hints. I looking forward to read it.
>>
>>2075001
And which fic might that be? If you're talking about Zoe Reed that is.
>>
>>2074668
I'm 2/3 through it and so far it's pretty good. A little different from her other books since the characters relationship isn't the main thing (though at first before the earthquake it kind of is, but that is more them trying to be friends than anything, because of their respective standing in society)

I like it a lot so far.
>>
>>2075210
>>2074668
So just finished Shaken to the Core and I really liked it. There isn't much drama/angst besides from what happens with the earthquake and stuff and it feels right. I also was wondering about one of the character's name because it sounded really familiar, but I'll let you guys find out what I mean. It's really very neat.

To that one anon that wanted a book without sex, you can read this one, it doesn't have any.

All in all, I'd really like to see a book with Lucy, I'll probably sent an e-mail to the author asking about a book/short story about her. I imagine a few more people asking about her will only increase the chance.

But yeah, probably one of my favorite from her.
>>
Speaking of Jae, anyone have the revised (Ylva Edition from 2014) of Hidden Truths? Apparently has 4 new chapters added as well as something new to do with the ending.
>>
>>2075835
And apparently Backwards to Oregon as well has an expanded revised addition from 2013, which would be much obliged as well.
>>
>>2073639
>>2073646
>>2074179

You know it's too modern when the book mentions Halsey, Reddit and Benedict Cuwhathisname.

It's a good book but the ending is a bit meh.
>>
>>2075984
Setting up for a sequel?

And I don't mind pop references, if done right. After all the talk about mysteries here I went around reading some I hadn't yet, including Chandler's Bingo Barge Murder and sequel - and they were playing Halo 2.

On a PS3.

Which was as stupid as the characters in the first two books; so I decided to give up on that.

For the heck of it I also read some more Delafield; gotta love that 80s homophobia/racism/everything. But the novels aren't that great, and the "romance" part very ... meh.

So I went even further back in time and read the first "Nancy Clue" (totally not a parody of anything). Why, they all had such a gay time in that queer little town ...

Well, in conclusion, nothing really outstanding.
>>
So what was the last book that you read and went "yep, this is all I've ever wanted"?
In the last few I've finished there always was something that rubbed me the wrong way - some last minute drama in an otherwise cute book just because, or an underwhelming ending, or the women acting like they've forgotten what common sense means because plot must happen, or the book being too hip and modern, or simply mediocre writing.
Basically, nothing I've read lately had me feel satisfied afterwards.
What do?
>>
>>2076035
Last time I was completely satisfied was when Tolstoi realized "War and Peace" was much better with a bunch of lesbians, Murakami decided that Norwegian Wood made more sense when exploring homosexuality, and Powers noticed that the (ex-)librarian in Gold-Bug Variations would make an awesome lover of women.

Now I just cry a little when I wake up.
>>
>>2076035
Engravings of Wraith by Kiera Dellacroix. I read it too early in my lesfic career and now nothing else compares.
>>
>>2076046
It's really not that good on a re-read.
>>
>>2076041
At least Dostoyevsky wrote about lolis making out.
>>
>>2076097
I read it 2 more times since the first and still think its perfection.
>>
>>2076027
> Ex-Wives of Dracula

I'd be surprised if there's a sequel. The story is complete.
>>
>>2072365 (This Anon here.)

>>2072424
Just finished Say Yes to the Cheerleader. It's too low drama for me. It was good though. I need angst in my YA lit. Any other recommendations? Is Siera Maley angsty?
>>
>>2076435

7/10 for Her name in the sky, it's pretty shocking.

To me Siera Maley's books are same level as book like 'Keeping you a secret' or 'Gravity between us' I won't recommend it to other people. But since you liked these two books you will surely love her books.
>>
>>2076446
Ah great! I'll check them out, thanks!

Ya, Her Name in the Sky was cute.
>>
>>2076435

Amanda Grace - No One Needs to Know

Drama
>>
>>2076435

I need to ask, which part of gravity between us did you like?
I thought the whole book was very immature.
>>
>>2072562
Just finished this. I usually have pretty low standards when it comes to FF literature but that was a shit show.
>>
Anyone have a copy of Everything by Carole Wolf?
>>
>>2076035
Slow River (Nicola Griffith). It's not a lesbian novel. It's a damn good novel with a lesbian protagonist. The way the timelines intertwine and the growth of the protagonist and the utter emotion... I cried when it ended.

Whatever Gods May Be (Sophia Kell Hagin?) -see above. I was very hesitant to read it and then was upset I hadn't read it sooner.
>>
>>2076035
"Backwards to Oregon" by Jae and "Sword of the Guardian" by Merry Shannon.

Not that either is super particularly masterful, but I can. not. get enough of the "butch girl poses as man, enthralls presumably straight girl" trope, which is brutally under-done.

btw if you know of any other book that does this, tell me please.
>>
>>2076435
The Space Between (Michelle L. Teichman) has some very good angst. Not a big fan of how things got resolved, but overall I prefer it over Her Name In The Sky.
>>
Any books about forbidden love between sisters?
>>
>>2076570
I'm a big sucker for love triangles and I thought the whole celeb thing was a fun change. Although I did find it a little trite. The whole "You can't buy my love." got me in the feels too.
Also I listened to the audiobook for Gravity. So that also helped? I think reading it dry would have come across a lot different.

>>2076539
Nice I'll check this out. Sounds right up my ally.

>>2076435
Added to my list. Thanks!
>>
>>2077074
That last post link was meant for >>2076923
I am bad at everything.
>>
>>2076923

I liked the book but I got some problems with it that are maybe due to my age, I haven't been 14yo for 10 years now and it was hard for me to imagine that all 14yo were sleeping around, drinking, smoking, taking drunk and that for a few years already.

I mean I know the word changed in 10 years but basically the author make it seems normal that middle schoolers (because it was they were before the book) have sex, drink or smoke. I'm ok with the smoking, but the rest? Or Canada is very free minded.

My second problem was the book is like a rip off of No one needs to know and Her name in the Sky. The whole secret relationship and different social status like in NONTK and the religious angst and teacher who help the religious freak to realize everything is ok like in HNITS.

On Goodread, people are saying it's a book written for teenagers and I guess it must be and old me cannot understand it anymore, since I am hitting my mid-20s soon.
>>
>>2077112
From a European's perspective, I always felt that the US-YA literature is somewhat unsatisfying after a while.Things like "bitchy cheerleader", "homophobic football star player", "Christian fundamentalist parent" ... they're pretty much US issues. Never met a cheerleader in my life and I basically hate them from literature only (talk about negative stereotypes - nice to battle homophobia and grow cheerleaderphobia at the same time...).

And, the way I see it, the attitude towards drinking and sex is a bit different here. I'd agree that 14 is early for a book, but it's far from unrealistic. No point in pretending it's not.

Anyway, I was in the mood for some, errm, family-building-kind of series and so I caved in and read "By Design" - it's just short stories, more or less, so I never read that before.

Unfortunately it was pretty bad. Basically all dialogues (no exaggeration!) are either person A asking person B for advice, or person A giving person B a lecture on something.

Not sure what to call it, but the "advise is always correct"-trope is one of the more annoying ones encountered in lesbian literature, and this series is just full of it, even when it doesn't make sense (20 year age difference; just ignore it, yeah, great advise, that'll work...).

Also, it's one of those "everyone's a perfect Mary Sue except that evil homophobic-racist-NRA-supporter". If someone is temporarily bad there'll be some crying and then hugs and then I-luv-us and everyone's happy again.
And the protagonists are all so awesome they could easily be president (which is the example they use in the book), despite being lesbians and whatnot. Heck, even the Republicans like them.

All that being said "JD" in the first 2-3 books was quite amusing and so I forgave all of that to some extend, but she's pushed more and more to the sidelines as things go on, and it just doesn't get any better - even with the longer stories, it just means more people asking for advise ...

Meh.
>>
>>2077194

I'm an European myself and Us-Ya is very difficult for me to identify to must of their teen characters we don't have cheerleader here neither football or soccer clubs.
I also agree, all the Ya book, /u/ or not all have the same characters always.

I don't say at 14 you are not sexual active but I really think out of 22 students in a class maybe 5/6 of them are sexual active and not the whole class/student like in this book.
After, I am European but not from UK, so yeah we do have parties on weekend but there not that much alcohol, just beer. We usually drink our alcohol more with our parents here till we are 16/17.

What shocked me the most was that at 14 the girls of this book were like sex expert and do dare about giving head or having sex to their friends. Like I know Americans teenager are wild but to have sexual relationship at 13/14 because your friend give you a dare at a party....

Alexis for example is 14 is very sexual active, Harper is 14 then 15 but basically been with guys touching her for years.
The only innocent person of this book was Sarah who at some point was too ignorant.

I'm pretty sure if the characters ages were 16/17/18 I would be less shocked by what I read.
>>
>>2077304
>at 14 the girls of this book were like sex expert and do dare about giving head
>Harper is 14 then 15 but basically been with guys touching her for years
Um, what?
I don't know whether I'm just too old or that's seriously unrealistic.
>>
>>2077308
Isn't happening that often, but happens. Too much.
But this ain't the board for that.
>>
>>2077304
Hm, ok. I thought they were "just" sexually active, which honestly isn't that rare, but it seems that things are oddly exaggerated.

Meanwhile I went and read the first Alex and Cassidy book, and so far it plain sucks. Stereotypical romance, bad writing, badly constructed plot ...
... well, there's basically nothing good about it.
>>
>>2073124

Amelia Killian - Blood Savant.

Vampire & BDSM with a bit of gore. I didn't like it very much, the sub is just too extreme for me.
>>
>>2077304
>we dont have soccer clubs
>using soccer

What kinda shit european are you? Everyone here plays football, its the only women's team sport that matters here aside from maybe volleyball.

Also where I am from kids drink beer with fourteen-ish, since its legal with the age of 16. It depends on the crowd man, I knew several girl who lost their virginity to some douchnozzle at 14 because some beer was involved and older guys are garbage.
>>
>>2077308

That is why I say I was too old for this book because I'm 24 and cannot understand this at all.

>>2077333

The French type who use soccer because when you say football American don't understand it's soccer most of the times.

Beers and champagne are usually ok starting 10/11yo since parents make you drink at this age usually but volka or whiskey at 2/13/14 like in this book? I found it hard to believe you can get tons of whiskey at parties without any realizing it.

On other hand, I ended readying for the first time a book from Melissa Brayden, How sweet it is, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Didn't liked much how undeveloped the character of Jordan was but I liked the whole story. I might try some of her other books.
>>
Beatrice fell in love with what could only be described as her reason for living, on the morning of June 15, 2016. She had woken up too late, and left for work too early. The metro-north rail to grand station from Yonkers had to make frequent stops, for reasons unknown. With the train arriving late and Beatrice’s morning routine already perturbed, she came across yet another disturbance. Strongly wanting to dissociate from her stressful life, only more frustration came as this disturbance made its presence known.
And suddenly she was there, in that moment, self-aware.
To her left, a twenty something year old woman, wrapped gently around a great wooden beast with shining surfaces and a slick black ebony fingerboard. Four greatly wound strings buzzed in unison as a horse-hair bow galloped its way across the behemoth below. Elegantly guiding, yet firmly commanding what was unbeknownst to Beatrice at the time as a cello, was Caroline. Short cut, jet black hair, slender arms, long womanly fingers that would imply regality in their form, a welcoming motherly figure, played the Courante of Bach’s First Cello Suite. Beatrice had missed the Prelude and Allemande, but the Courante of the First Suite would always be her favorite part. Silently, she stood and watched, noticing no open case for donations. Losing track of time she stood still, not dissociating, yet gleefully unaware of a newfound peace that made her unconsciously smile. Caroline continued to play to the end of the first suite, before looking up at Beatrice and returning her gentle, gleeful gaze.
>>
>>2077411
Your prose is trying too hard to win a vocab contest which makes it needlessly verbose (like that). Too many adjectives and adverbs weigh you down. Try to describe things without relying on a single word to do the work for you. Also careful of comma splicing. In fact, try writing without them at all for awhile because every sentence you wrote has at least one comma.

>what was unbeknownst to Beatrice at the time as a cello
How is future information relevant to the story so far? And what kind of person doesn't know what a cello is in the first place? It is fairly common to be introduced to string instruments at a young age in school.
>Beatrice had missed the Prelude and Allemande, but the Courante of the First Suite would always be her favorite part
The narrator is talking about her lack of knowledge moments before belting out this pre-Victorian technobabble. Be consistent with your narration. Using a 3rd person omniscient doesn't mean you should talk about things before they happen. It also shouldn't bury the reader in information they might not understand yet. Personally I think using a limited 3rd person focused on Beatrice would be a much better voice for your narration so the reader can follow along as she learns these terms.
>>
>>2077347
There used to be loads of kids no older than 14 drinking outside my house and practically having sex in public and I live in a reasonably prosperous area. It's not beyond belief.
>>
File: 1466387714577.jpg (137 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1466387714577.jpg
137 KB, 700x700
>>2077430
Thank you for the thought out response. Beatrice comes from a poor/low income Christian family in Northern New Jersey. Small public schools, lack of funds for programs in humanities you could say. I also attribute it to her personality, she's a bit of an airhead.

All the information I've typed is relevant (at least I think it is) because Caroline's influence eventually leads her to apply to music school. She's 19. Caroline is 28. Courante of the first suite is tied in a lot. Its not just a mention and forget.

Anyway your point of
>limited 3rd person focused on Beatrice
Makes a lot of sense to me. Thank you so much. And I'll cut down the fancy pancy diction (kek, but seriously I will, I feel weak in the area of describing events, settings, thoughts feelings, anything really, I don't know how to word my own thoughts at times or feelings).

Any tips for dialogue? I also haven't tried to write in first person, which I would find difficult. Is it just a train of thought, or perhaps a recounting of memories?

And again thanks!
>mfw /u/ gives better advice than /lit/
>>
Just reinforcements my belief that /u/ featuring adults is safer - they can be as sinful as they want to be, after all.

Just read the first, err, Jess & Robin book. I can see how that's compared to Dar & Kerry; petty big similarities.
But, frankly, it's just not good enough. I liked the slow romance, but there was too little of anything else. No real hurdles to overcome or ... well, it pretty much has no plot. Supposedly they are lawyers but you barely get a glimpse at their work.
And a few too many Uber-esque scenes.
>>
>>2078026

Try reading Suzie Carr - Inner Secrets
>>
>>2076928
I wish. I bet whatever there actually is ends poorly or has someone get raped or something.
>>
>>2076928
>forbidden
>>
>>2076928
>>2078058
Incidentally, /tv/ currently has a thread about an adaptation of some book that had lesbian incest and rape, of course.
Into the Forest.
>>
>>2078065
>spoiler
Of course. I bet they removed the incest in the show/movie but left that part in.
>>
>>2078069
And apparently you're correct.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.